Turk 10-Jun-15
gobbler 10-Jun-15
wildwilderness 11-Jun-15
gobbler 11-Jun-15
Treeline 16-Jun-15
crestedbutte 16-Jun-15
Bowhunter 17-Jun-15
07-Jun-15
In the Gunnison basin which of the units are best for deer numbers and trophy quality? 53,54,55, or 66?

Thanks in advance

07-Jun-15
I've heard of some who like 66, and others who like 53

10-Jun-15
ttt

10-Jun-15
You can look at it from a Demand standpoint and see what others think of each unit- This is to compare the 3rd rifle seasons in each unit, when a higher percentage of mature bucks are taken:

Unit: PP and draw percent in 2015:

53 3pp = 95%

54 3pp = 46%

55 6pp = 64%

66 9pp = 7%

Based on the stats most people by far think 66 is the better unit. (those I have spoken to who like 53 have access to and through private)

10-Jun-15
I have elk hunted 54 the last 2 years. I have seen deer and a few nice bucks. From what I have seen and what guys talk about before the bad winters. It has a ways to go to rebound back.

10-Jun-15
Thanks! That does help

10-Jun-15
Those units will most likely never "rebound back". Those units were way over goal from the biologists I have talked to. It is unlikely they will get that way again.

10-Jun-15
I know this is bowsite but this is pretty much the only hunting site I visit because 90+% of my hunting is with a bow. However, I noticed a few of those units have a 4th season hunt this year. My wife hunts but dosen't bowhunt and we will both have 19 points going into the draw next year and I would like to take her on a good late season deer hunt.

10-Jun-15
I get a 3rd season rifle tag and bowhunt. Just because it is a rifle tag does not restrict you to one. During archery a few bucks are around but come 3rd rifle they are pre-rut and come out of wherever they have been holed up.

10-Jun-15
Here's the 4th season odds for 2015:

Unit: Points draw odds:

53 9pp= 83%

54 9pp= 67%

55 10pp= 50%

66 15pp= 50%

So you should be able to draw any hunt.

10-Jun-15
Thank you

10-Jun-15
I would add that the odds posted by others are resident odds. After spending time in 55 last year I would hate to think I was spending a 19 year investment there given the size of the bucks I turned up.

10-Jun-15
Unit 66 4 season this year. The 2 tags went to 18 point holders. There was one more app in the 18 point holders that didn't draw.

10-Jun-15
Yeah that's the resident odds but it gives a better sample size to compare the popularity of the units. With only a few NR tags it can skew a unit to look like a high demand if a couple of high point holders put in for it one year.

As mentioned there was another with 18 NR PP last year in the draw who may put in with 19 NR PP so it may not be a "guarantee" but few things are!

10-Jun-15
Thanks, I figure that it won't be a guarantee. Next year the 4th season is going to be a week later and that might pull a few more people out of the woodwork.

10-Jun-15
Gobbler,

I think that the odds,(number of points needed,) will be more next year. Not only because of point creep but due to people holding off this year due to the early season dates.

10-Jun-15
I'm afraid of that too. Might have to wait another 5 yrs, or we might get lucky. LOL

11-Jun-15
Next year with the later dates 3rd season would still be great. You would get a 10 day season instead of a 5 days for 4th, which would give you more time to bowhunt! last year I actually saw more mature bucks chasing during the 3rd season than the 4th. but the early cold snap might have been part of it.

Last year for NR there were 11 tags, Points went from 17 NR PP for the 2 highest down to 1 NR with 13pp (20%) drew the tag.

Whith 19 NR PP next year you could plan on hunting the 3rd season if you want.

11-Jun-15
That is a good point and a good option. Thank you

16-Jun-15
Keep an eye on the weather this coming winter. You have enough points to be very selective.

Late big snows followed by a deep freeze is bad news for the deer. The Gunnison Basin is really prone to that pattern. If you are thinking about hunting in Gunny, start really watching the weather in March right up to the app date.

Have been a number of years when a big snow in March or April followed by a few warm days and then a hard freeze has really killed off a lot of deer - especially the bucks. The DOW will always under report the actual winter kill, especially in Gunny because of the high demand.

Have been lucky since '12 on winters and this year should be a pretty good hunt, but would have been much better if the DOW had just closed the area for deer for a year or two to let them come back. Would have really helped with a bounty on coyotes and open season on lions to reduce that predation as well.

Really think that there are better areas right now than Gunnison County for top end. With the publicity of Gunnison County units, it draws the guys that are really serious (with lots of buddies that want to go and lots of top end glass and cell phones) and will hold out for a top end buck. Prior to the last big winter kill, there were getting to be a lot of big mature 3x3's and 3x4's in there that were doing a lot of breeding and passing genes because the "trophy hunters" wouldn't consider shooting a 30" wide, 6 year old 3x3.

Do a little research, you may want to look at some units with more B&C entries and possibly an early rifle hunt when it is not so miserable cold, wet and nasty for a hunt with the wife. There are several areas in the state that turn out more true top-end deer. September is usually quite a bit better time to be in the hills than November. You might want to hold off another year to get the earliest dates possible on that side. An outfitter could be a plus for access to the high country or go in the week before backpacking with fly rods to some high lakes with a plan on killing your bucks on first thing opening morning.

You might even get a wild hair and figure out that you can do a really fun hunt with the wife with the potential for a bomber buck with a rifle one year followed by a good bow hunt with a buddy on 0 points or second choice (point and a tag!) the following year after you have figured out a basin with a few big boys living in there. They tend to come back to the same basins year after year.

The Colorado Units that take the most points do not necessarily hold the biggest deer or elk. If you have more than enough points, it is OK to use them for a great hunt that you are assured to draw.

Good luck!

16-Jun-15
Been hunting Unit 55 since 2005. Yes, the 07-08 winter kill was devastating but if you hunt high basins in early seasons the bigguns are there. Have to assume the same for the other 3 units mentioned.

17-Jun-15
I would bowhunt the 3rd season. I took my dad on a third season hunt last year in a different unit(rifle), the unit took 8 points and you could have done it with a bow easy. As stated earlier 3rd season gives you a little more time with the bow. My dad killed a 192" buck the second day and we passed on several. My plan is to wait for a good third season hunt, problem is I only have 5 points and I don't think I will ever catch up

• Sitka Gear