Mule Deer
Contributors to this thread:
cwater 13-Jul-15
steve hay 13-Jul-15
lineman21 13-Jul-15
bowcrazyJRHCO 14-Jul-15
cwater 14-Jul-15
13-Jul-15
I was looking into the NE NTL Forest for a mule deer hunt, but then thought about the "frenchman" unit, but the more i look the less public ground i see... im not asking for anyones spot, but more of there experiences in the "frenchman" unit... this will all be DIY archery for mulies... Thanks in advance for any help!

13-Jul-15
I think you would want to spend most of your effort in the NW or North central portion of Nebraska. More public ground and higher percent of mulies. If you are not looking for a Booner, I think you could have a fun hunt with reasonable expectations to get a good crack at a mulie.

13-Jul-15
Nearly all muleys in the Frenchman unit are on private ground.

14-Jul-15
If you hunt NW Nebr - Chadron, Crawford, etc. you can also shoot a turkey. It's a haven for Spring or fall turkeys. Lots of public ground, so no need to worry about small public plots. It's a fun area - I grew up near there, attended Chadron State College and this past spring two of us arrowed nice toms in just 24 hours of hunting. Lots of deer, you will likely be in them every day. Prepare for longer ranges, all my shots have been on the ground (not treestand). Also, don't be afraid to ask permission to hunt. If told no, ask rancher if he knows a neighbor who might let you. The ranchers are archery friendly - especially earlier in the season or after rifle season. Concentrate on water or routes out of bluffs heading toward private winter wheat or cornfields.

An added bonus, lots of places to park your camper along streams if you have a generator. I live in Colorado, but go back several times after elk season closes. I always buy a season choice tag to go with my buck tag. For $55, you can shoot a doe - the best nonresident deal on the planet IMO. If unsuccessful, you can go back in January and fill the tag with your rifle. It makes a great scouting trip (especially if there is snow) while also filling your freezer.

You can deer hunt, spring/fall turkey, and get an season choice doe tag - hunt them all in one area with gobs of public land and archery friendly ranchers. IMO, it's a no brainer on where to go.

If you want something closer to Kansas, go to Red Cloud reservoir near McCook or the big reservoir south of Kearney, NE. Lots of public land and plenty of mulies. My cousins hunt the one south of Kearney each year and always are successful. My Utah buddies rifle hunt near McCook - so good they drive from Utah each year. Hope this helps.

14-Jul-15
bowcrazy, that is some of the best advice i have received so far and i really appreciate it! i am going to PM you!

• Sitka Gear