Matt 15-Nov-15
Pete In Fairbanks 15-Nov-15
Matt 15-Nov-15
Matt 15-Nov-15
njbuck 16-Nov-15
BTM 16-Nov-15
Matt 16-Nov-15
13-Nov-15
Does anyone have any recommendation for a good Columbian Blacktail outfitter. I'm looking to possiably go in 2016. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

13-Nov-15
Arrow 5. Good luck!

13-Nov-15
Whats your budget and are you talking rifle or archery?

13-Nov-15
Arrow 5 Outfitters in Northern California. They may be booked for 2016 already though.

13-Nov-15
PM sent.

Pete

13-Nov-15
Miller Ranch in Laytonville ca.

Rich just called me yesterday and said he has an opening for this year if you can swing it.

Maybe he will cuta deal on such short notice. ...good luck

13-Nov-15
Id prefer archery. Budget???? I guess depends on the hunt success quality etc.

13-Nov-15
Another vote for Miller Ranch. I've hunted there on and off for the past 19 years and give Richard a vote of confidence.

PM me and I can give you some input on the various CA outfitters that are popular (Arrow 5, Diamond C, and Miller Ranch), the good and bad.

14-Nov-15
Matt PM sent

14-Nov-15
Don't forget about Oregon !

14-Nov-15
What Muskeg said. X2

14-Nov-15
Pete you mean we actually agree on something ... ha ha

14-Nov-15
Dave, which years did you hunt Miller Ranch to form your opinion that it is going downhill?

15-Nov-15
What is your basis to suggest the hunting is declining? Having hunted there the past 19 years, I am not seeing it.

15-Nov-15
Muskeg:

I thought the same thing as I posted that...!

15-Nov-15
To be clear, you are saying Richard told you the hunting is declining? With all due respect, I have a REALLY hard time believing that.

15-Nov-15
I sent the OP (and 2 other guys who PM'ed me) my perspective on the pluses and minuses of the 4 CA blacktail outfitters for which I feel comfortable giving positive recommendations. I'll do the same for anyone who asks. My interest is in Bowsite members having a good hunt tailored to their preferences (be it hunting style, cost, or trophy quality) - not to direct them to book with any particular outfitter.

While I have the means to hunt with any of the local outfitters, I have chosen one based on MY reasons. But as the late outdoor writer John Wooters wrote about choice, that's why they brew more than one kind of beer and even ugly people get married. What is great for me may be a bad fit for someone else and vice versa.

One of the great aspects of the Bowsite is the sharing of information to allow others to make informed decisions. I just don't think the expression of (unsupported) opinion as fact furthers that.

16-Nov-15
I have never hunted blacktail but will be hunting with Richard on the Miller Ranch next summer. After speaking with Richard along with numerous references, that was enough to convince me that there is a good shot at a P&Y caliber buck. I am excited.

16-Nov-15
I had a good hunt with Richard several years ago. PM me with your e-mail address if you want a copy of my journal.

16-Nov-15
Dave, I haven't hunted with the other 3 outfitter that I have provided recommendations for, but I wouldn't give recommendations or my feedback on the relative differences (e.g. hunting style, cost structure, trophy quality, property size, season timing, potential pitfalls) if I didn't have people who I trust who had. Much of that is displayed on the various outfitter's websites.

You obviously don't want to share with the board the reasons you stated the hunting is declining and that's fine. I just don't think it is fair to make a statement like that as though it were fact without providing support for it - especially when it doesn't align with my experience. Like you, I get no financial benefit from recommending one outfitter over another - I just want guys who come to CA to hunt to have as much information as possible on which to base their decisions so they have the best experience possible.

• Sitka Gear