Z Barebow 25-Nov-15
nijimasu 25-Nov-15
greg simon 25-Nov-15
Bear Track 25-Nov-15
GF 25-Nov-15
butler399 25-Nov-15
deerman406 25-Nov-15
24-Nov-15
I need a shot prognosis quick!in the last ten minutes of light I shot a doe, 45 yards, slight quartering to me. I gave it a good forty minutes because I did not see impact. I found my arrow, pass through, covered in fat! There is almost no blood on the arrow, I found a bunch of clipped hair and ZERO blood for yards around. Not wanting to bump her I backed out. Did I hit her in the 'dead zone?' I'm going back in the morning, don't know what to expect...

24-Nov-15
I would bet you run it through the top of her butt and she just has a little muscle wound.

25-Nov-15
Or you got her low and ran it through brisket.

25-Nov-15
Brisket, of course I had a buddy tell me the same thing about a shot on an elk. Lead cow slight quarter to me. Animals move at the shot, I tracked her down he hit her in the opposite hind quarters. Unless you see it no idea. Lighted knocks best ever.

25-Nov-15
There's a reason why you should take those shots.

25-Nov-15
It should read "shouldn't take those shots."

25-Nov-15
Last light, 45 yards, quarter to, and debate free.

25-Nov-15
Clipped hair and fat make me think a brisket shot.

25-Nov-15
Yup, not a shot that most of us would take. No one here can tell you where you hit that deer. 45 yards a lot can happen while the arrow is on its way, As I said no one has a clue not even you the guy making the shot. Shawn

25-Nov-15
brisket, good luck. Its a learning experience.

25-Nov-15
What color of hair?

locations with heaviest fat are on the back and brisket.

Brisket hair will be mostly white. Back hair will be mostly gray.

Without any visual on arrow impact location, you need to use whatever other evidence available.

25-Nov-15
Sounds like brisket from your description.

25-Nov-15
Hit in an area with thick fat = not in a vital area. You still have to look but you will not find that deer because it is not dead. What Z Barebow said.

25-Nov-15
Don't take that shot again unless it's a last ditch follow up shot on a wounded animal.

25-Nov-15
One thing for sure...

There ain't no such thing as a "dead zone"

And depending where you are... Brisket hair can be quite dark around here... turns to white on the belly. But brisket is more towards black.

25-Nov-15
Well I went up before the storm came in, I'm convinced it passed through the brisket. Yup its a learning experience for sure! Replaying it in my mind I think I aimed a bit to far forward to compensate for the quarter, which was very slight basically broadside. thanks for the tips! Note to self: do better next season!

25-Nov-15
Again no one has a clue where you hit. Fat can come from many places, along the hind leg, brisket, top of the back even a neck shot. Live and learn. Shawn

• Sitka Gear