Wapitidung 05-Jan-16
hogthief 05-Jan-16
Wapitidung 05-Jan-16
jimscol 06-Jan-16
Stekewood 06-Jan-16
Wapitidung 06-Jan-16
31-Dec-15
Hey Fella's,

I'll be hunting Sitka Blacktails on the southern portion of Kodiak Island the last week of November, 2016. What are your suggestions for boots.

Thanks,

Wap.

31-Dec-15
I did the same hunt about 5 years ago, left on Thanksgiving, hunted 6 days on the south end. Deadman's Bay to be exact. I hunted in my uninsluated LaCrosse Alpha Burly rubber boots most days. Not buy choice, but the all day hiking in the wet snow had my other boots soaked most of the time and they just wouldn't dry out overnight. If I were to go again, I would bring my regular uninsulated Lowa or Zamberland "elk hunting" boots, AND my rubber boots. Best of luck!!!

31-Dec-15
Mucks

31-Dec-15
I was there the first week of November this year. I hunted in my Kennetreks. Rain every day and some snow. My boots were wet but I'm sure it was from sweat not from leaking. The guides were either wearing Kennetreks or hippers. One guy had some laceup boots that had hip boots attached. They looked like a good idea. I think they were Cabelas. Any way you look at it you're gonna be wet and miserable. Good luck on your hunt.

31-Dec-15
I hunted the south end (Deadman's bay) in November '07. I wore Meindl Denali boots treated with Nix wax, and gortex gaiters. Never got wet even when transferring from skiff to shore.

--Bill

31-Dec-15
thanks Guys. I'm starting to lean towards treated Kennetreks and vortex gaiters.

31-Dec-15
Jack: I have been thinking about the same thing. Which Kennetreks are you thinking about? I have thought about the Muck Sport All Terrain. need to be waterproof and have good traction. Jim

31-Dec-15
Jack: I have been thinking about the same thing. Which Kennetreks are you thinking about? I have thought about the Muck Sport All Terrain. need to be waterproof and have good traction. Jim

01-Jan-16
I started our with Meindels this yearmand quickly switched to Xtra Tuf. Next year I will only pack my "tuffies".

05-Jan-16
Hi Jim, great minds think alike. I'm not sure yet. I'm going to make a trip to Cabela's and try one a pair or two. Also will swing by REI and try on the Scarpa Charmoz Pro GTX to see how they fit. The fella that hunted Blacktail Bob's Cabin thinks the Scarpa Charmoz would be a good choice.

I've got a faily wide foot so I need to make sure the toe box of the boot I pick is gonna work.

We're only 10 months and a wake up Jim.

Wap

05-Jan-16
Boots that will allow you to run faster than your guide.

05-Jan-16
LOL. I think I'm the youngest feller in the group so I may be able to move a little faster. I'm taking a .454 but will be sure to save the last round for yours truely.

Wap

06-Jan-16
Jack: I have wide feet as well. I am thinking about the Schnees Granites which are made in my size 13EE. 10 months doesn't sound that far off. Jim

06-Jan-16
Wapiti, I should probably expand upon our PM conversation and do it here for others who are going, or have gone, to join in. In my opinion, Scarpa Chamoz would have been a great choice for the hunt that I was on. We were hunting up high and other than the hike to to get to where we started climbing, were in very steep rocky terrain. Overall it wasn't as steep and dangerous as the goat or sheep hunts that I've been on but there were some places that were pretty sketchy, and it was closer to those experiences than it was to an elk, moose, or caribou hunt.

The other factor that I mentioned in the thread was that ankle support was very much appreciated when hiking back with a full heavy pack. I love rubber boots and have worn them on a lot of hunts in a lot of places but would never consider them for that particular hunt.

That said, we were there in October, and on one very small part of a very big island for very short time. There are certainly a lot of places on that island where I would rather have rubber boots or hip boots, just not where we were, when we were there, for what we were doing.

And of course opinions on what the perfect boot is vary as widely as those on what the perfect woman is.....

06-Jan-16
Thanks Stekewood. I don't think rubber boots or pacs have the support I need so I will search for a "waterproof" boot that provides the support I need.

Understanding there is no perfect boot nor perfect woman is a given.

• Sitka Gear