Nick Muche 25-Mar-16
archerynut 30-Mar-16
Blacktail Bob 31-Mar-16
IdyllwildArcher 31-Mar-16
Blacktail Bob 31-Mar-16
23-Mar-16

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I was at the Buck Shack recently on a Mountain Goat hunt. This was a the perspective of the Bay and cabin location I had from the goat hillside. It was a pretty nice day.

Still one opening for August this year. Next year, 2017, I'm going to rent it during the month of November when I typically have been there. Rent goes up for that month, but if anyone is interested in the place during the rut send me a PM.

On this last visit I found two separate sheds of bucks that would have scored over 100 inches if they were symmetrical. I've never killed a Kodiak buck over 100, so I'm excited do get out there this fall and find one. I saw one group of deer that had over 40 in it. That day I probably saw over 200 deer in total.

23-Mar-16
What an awesome view Bob!

23-Mar-16

It was pretty damn nice there this March. Here is another view of the cliffs behind the cabin. Even the goats don't go there.

23-Mar-16

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Here is a view from last October looking back at the goat cliffs on the right where the first picture was taken. The buck shack is visible on the left. That place is magical.

23-Mar-16

And a view looking along the goat hillside....

23-Mar-16
Steve,

Nice photos and thanks for posting. Last fall, after you guys left, I actually saw two goats just about where you must have taken your first photo.

It was just before dark and I was going back out to help my brother's friend pack a deer back without my bow when I saw them. Otherwise, there would have been blood on the ground and white fur in my pack!

23-Mar-16

Not that this picture helps much, but I wonder if it may have been these same two. These were high tailing it across the valley above the end of the beach right towards where your first pic was taken.

23-Mar-16
It probably was them. It was two young billies. I think that is what first populates an area when they leave larger groups of nannies and kids for new territory. Hopefully they grow up and become big ol' billies that continue to like the neighborhood. We Alaska residents can shoot two per year.

23-Mar-16
Bob,

How has winter been on Kodiak? From the pictures it doesn't look like much late winter snow? I will be up there late October for deer on a boat charter.

23-Mar-16
Like I've said elsewhere, very mild winter and lots of deer running around. You should have a great hunt.

23-Mar-16
Man those pictures are wonderful!

I have always wanted to go to Kodiak. Hope to get there this year and if not for sure in 2017. Thanks for posting. Hunt

23-Mar-16
Love the eye-candy Bob,

Can't wait to get to the Buck Shack this October!

Looking forward to a great hunt!

Keep the pictures coming.

Kevin

23-Mar-16

24-Mar-16
Nice photo Stekewood !!!

24-Mar-16
I wish I was going there. Maybe in 8-10 years. Still going to have the shack then, Bob? :)

24-Mar-16
For my knowledge, I can understand why a bad winter would lead to winter kill the following season, but wouldn't the first deer to die off be the fawns which would lead to bad hunting 3-5 years down the road?

24-Mar-16
I'll still have it if I'm still around. I'm 60, so by then I'll be pushing 70.

The first deer to die in a hard winter are usually the oldest bucks. They're depleted from the rut and are typically unable to survive a hard winter as well as younger deer that haven't rutted as hard.

24-Mar-16
Bob, When was the last bad winterkill year?

24-Mar-16
I think the last really hard winter was 4 years ago. At the middle and north end of the Island it was pretty bad. The south end wasn't near as bad and we continued to harvest nice bucks right along. The last three winters, including this past one, have been very mild. I've definitely seen an increase in deer numbers on both Kodiak and POW Islands.

Last summer on POW Island I saw about 30% of the bucks already hard antlered by August 1st. Typically, that doesn't happen until mid-month. I think they rubbed off early because they were in such good shape and spring came so early last year.

24-Mar-16
My clients and I were seeing around 80 deer a day halfway up this island last November. Up from 30 or so a day the half a dozen years prior. They are bouncing back fast!

24-Mar-16
Bob, You mentioned one open spot for the cabin for this year? Does that mean 1 spot for 2 guys or just 1 guy alone?

24-Mar-16
It is one spot for two guys in August.

I have actually made an exception for someone else regarding the August time frame so I'll do the same for anyone.

I try to limit the number of deer killed around the cabin to maintain quality of mature bucks. Since the limit is three bucks in August per hunter, the normal kill potential with two guys in the cabin would be six bucks. I've told someone that if they agreed to limit themselves to two bucks each, they could have three guys in the cabin.

Three in the cabin is kind of crowded from my perspective, but I've done it several times including during my last three hunts there myself.

25-Mar-16
My clients and I were seeing around 80 deer a day halfway up this island last November. Up from 30 or so a day the half a dozen years prior. They are bouncing back fast!

25-Mar-16

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

Incredible opportunity for anyone wishing to hunt Kodiak!

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the bowhunting only and requested limited deer harvest from Bobs cabin is best for the longevity of its purpose.

30-Mar-16

archerynut's embedded Photo
archerynut's embedded Photo
Awesome to hear that the deer have rebounded since my last trip in 2012. That previous winter put a hurting on the deer. We were lucky and found a few pockets of deer and killed 3 deer between the 2 of us. I wish I could hunt that island every year, hands down best/most rewarsing hunt I have ever done.

31-Mar-16
Thought I would advise on the status of the cabin. Its fully booked for 2016. I still have several openings for 2017 including the prime rut month of November.

31-Mar-16
What's the story with access to the cabin? Is it boat in only or can you fly to it? What's the logistics of boating to it?

31-Mar-16
Its fly in only.

From the City of Kodiak it’s roughly 125 air miles and by boat maybe close to 175 miles. You would have to have a very large boat to make the trip. You would also want to be a very experienced boat captain to navigate the waters from the City of Kodiak to the south end of the Island. You ever see Deadliest Catch? That’s the kind of water you'd be looking at.

• Sitka Gear