ElkNut1 24-Apr-16
APauls 24-Apr-16
Bigdan 24-Apr-16
David A. 24-Apr-16
David A. 24-Apr-16
David A. 24-Apr-16
Jaquomo 24-Apr-16
23-Apr-16
I've never tried it, but occasionally wondered.

???

23-Apr-16
Yes. I had a friend that had quite a bit of success with Muleys in WY all rattling.

23-Apr-16
Yes, I rattle them in all the time. Sometimes they come fast, other times it takes awhile. I hunt in November. Not sure how it works earlier in the year.

A Lohmann Kmeer Deer bite call also works really well.

24-Apr-16
My son rattled one in on a November hunt unfortunately dad was impatient and moved as the buck was coming in,bad dad

24-Apr-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Yes you can you can also rattle in blacktails and Sitkas. Here is one a rattled in on POW

24-Apr-16

Waterfowler's embedded Photo
Waterfowler's embedded Photo
Guide rattled this buck in from over 1/4 mile in the wide open desert, shot him at 8 steps.

24-Apr-16
Absolutely! I have quite a few local bucks that live in our area & I've played with them with rattling. They can get very curious for sure, I'm doing this in the month of Nov. which is rutting time here in ID.

ElkNut1

24-Apr-16
BigDan - now THATS's a quiver!

24-Apr-16
Thats just an 8 had a clip to make it a 16 when I needed more ammo

24-Apr-16
They can be rattled in and you can also "bust up branches" to bring them in.

But the best method for me is using my own vocal chords. I've learned their language and it is a game changer. I was at Safari Clbu in Vegas this year talking to the folks at Muy Grande who outfit for Mexico muile deer. They were doubtful, but open minded. Two weeks later found me deep in the Mexican brush country. I called in a buck on the third try for the owner to within 20 yds. He could hardly believe if.

Later in the hunt I called in a 180 class buck to within 15 yds. along with a dozen does (or more). I gradually drew my recurve but they were so close one doe spooked and the whole herd took off. I procedeed to call them back, but not close enough. Would have gotten that buck if I had been using a compound, as I could have predrawn; but it was my weapon choice.

I'm really debating whether I should ever release these methods. You can try all the deer calls you want, it will never equal the precise sounds I use. Have taken about a dozen desert mulies with longbow and recurve, average shot distance 20 yds. It's know as a tough hunt, but not so tough using these sounds plus strategies I've learned thru trial and error.

If anyone wants to learn the method from me in person, I'll be hunting with Muy Grande in Mexico again in December and possibly January. They have about 400,000 acres and some big deer. The method also works on Rocky Mtn. mulies, but I've only taken a few due to limited hunting opportunity. Also works on whitetails but there are a few differences.

It's quite something to call 180 class deer to within yards! I had some buck this year to within 5 yds, there were a lot of missed opportunities. The main problem when they come that close is scent.

24-Apr-16
Big Dan, reminds me of Chuck Adams clip, but I don't understand why since he has written he has never missed on game. I use a 3 arrow clip. Minimalism, but some take it even farther and hunt with one arrow. There is a strategy in that.

24-Apr-16
Just to add, I called thos Mexico bucks in Feb. they were still interested. Have even called them in March, in S. Arizona after the season just experimenting.

24-Apr-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear