BullBuster 02-Jun-16
HDE 02-Jun-16
BullBuster 02-Jun-16
HDE 02-Jun-16
BullBuster 02-Jun-16
tts 21-Jun-16
BullBuster 12-Aug-16
18-May-16
I drew this tag and I know there have been many previous posts on the hunt. But has anybody gone on this hunt recently? Is all the doom and gloom warranted? I was excited about drawing the tag but now after I read some these posts I am wondering if I really need to hold down my excitement.

18-May-16
It will be what you make of it. Some years are banner, others not so much - depending on what your expectations for the outcome will be (as in a 200 incher or nothing). Weather can play a part in it depending on where you choose to hunt, but it is also a matter of getting away from roads (like in UT with all the road hunters).

Severe weather up north will naturally drive deer down further south, and those hikes can be up to 4 miles to get to where the bigger bucks will be hanging out.

19-May-16
When I hunted 2b(late October rifle 2012)most of the deer were headed north up carracas mesa and into Colorado for the winter. There is some nice sage brush country that I bet would hold good bucks down south near 2C/Jicarilla border

19-May-16
It's a good unit. Lots of road closures and lots of glassing and walking if you want to hunt where most hunters don't want to be if its 20 below zero in the morning. The last two governor tag bucks have come out of 2b and 2c. Both shot before January and before any major winter migration. Doing your homework before you go and talking to Biologists, Game Wardens, or Guides that are willing to share info without charging you are good homework assignments! I would go a few days before and do some scouting and try to find some decent bucks before the roads get busy with deer and lion hunters. Heck, I wish I could draw that tag again. Actually, I've never drawn 2b or 2c since it went to a draw. Used to hunt it every year over the counter. It was a hunt everyone looked forward to. Good luck!

19-May-16
pm me I had same tag.ill give you what I know and learned.

19-May-16
I don't understand the hype of this tag. The buck numbers are down, and the SOuthern Utes hunt the bucks before they migrate down to New Mexico. Yessir, there are some huge bucks there in January, but you have to spend lots of time trying to find them. Because of the road closures, a lot of area will require some long walks to access the country. You won't see huge bucks behind every tree, and you might go days before seeing 150" buck. Spent a lot of time in unit 2B, and get ranch tags every year if we want them. Goos luck, and take CHAINS!!!

19-May-16
I agree. I wish people would stop putting in for any unit 2 January bow tag. Waaayy over-rated ;)

21-May-16
THanks for the advice guys. I have never arrowed a mule deer and I am a crappy trophy hunter so I just hope to get a nice representative of the species.

02-Jun-16
I hunted 2C last January. Bad hunt. 14 days and not a single stalk. Hunted my bottom off. Saw very few deer. Saw 1 big on private land and got permission, but no luck. I did see a lot more deer in 2B. Didn't see big ones, but at least the deer were there.

02-Jun-16
2C and you didn't see deer?? Where were you hunting...??

02-Jun-16
I hunted a lot of areas, but mostly up on Crow mesa. Hooked up with a local big hunter who worked the gas lines, and he took me around, and still no shooters.

02-Jun-16
No shooters or no deer? There is a difference. Big bucks that time of year wise up a little.

02-Jun-16
Very few deer and no shooters out in unit. lot's deer in the alfalfa fields near town, and i had ground blinds, but again no shooters.

21-Jun-16
BullBuster were you hunting with John H.

12-Aug-16
Sorry, i have been away from site. No, i didn't hunt with John H.

• Sitka Gear