oldertractor 17-Jul-16
Worthless 17-Jul-16
wifishkiller 17-Jul-16
oldertractor 18-Jul-16
KB 19-Jul-16
Hunt all 19-Jul-16
oldertractor 21-Jul-16
17-Jul-16
Hi, I'm planning a public land archery mule deer hunt and trying to figure out what state to hunt. I'm looking at Nebraska and South Dakota. This will be my first time hunting mule deer. I have a couple of other guys wanting to join me on this trip. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

17-Jul-16
Saw quite a few on some public land out in Butte Co last year, nothing I'd call terribly large. Public land is hard to come by though. SD GFP public hunting atlas would tell you where you can hunt. I have no experience with NE.

17-Jul-16
Haven't hunted SD, but Nebraska is one of the easiest states to get info on. You can literally setup a whole hunt off there game and fish sight.

18-Jul-16
Thanks for the information

19-Jul-16
Both states are very good with information. Better than my home state of Kansas I feel.. All three have interactive/PDF public land maps on their fish and game sites. The two northern options have detailed harvest data available though. Which is quite valuable to someone going in blind. Check out Nebraska's Big Game guide and South Dakota F&G's Deer page. With the opportunity to kill two OTC bucks for the price of a Kansas tag and maybe 5-10x the amount of public land in each state I'm constantly confused why Kansas takes such precedence in many DIY guy's minds. Bigger bucks, maybe, but I'm intrigued and willing to work hard enough to find out the hard way. Going to hunt all three this year along with Colorado, if things go as planned. :) Good luck!

19-Jul-16
I live in South Dakota and I would say around me there aren't many quality sized mule deer. But I only hunt what I know here so there could be endless opportunities. I live in the very south of South Dakota right by the Missouri River (east river)

21-Jul-16
Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to this hunting trip.

• Sitka Gear