Hornseeker 15-Aug-08
Hoyt X Tec 08-Sep-08
Ermine 08-Sep-08
mn_archer 09-Sep-09
Buffalo 17-Aug-11
midwest 17-Aug-11
mist-a-hog 22-Aug-11
14-Feb-08
My girlfriend thinks I have totally lost it now. I drive by 2 Gander Mountains, One Cabelas and one Sprtsmans Warehouse store pretty much every day, but I got a bug up my rear last night to make my own Antelope decoys!

Anyone else do this?

I have a sketch on graph paper that I am going to scale up to cardboard tonight.

I am hoping to have it hinge in the middle and at the neck to reduce carrying size. I am also going to have either removeable or hingeable horns- Is it a buck, or is it a doe? lol

Time to get to work!

You show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Michael

14-Feb-08
Can't show you mine because it is sitting on top of a hill, under 2 ft. of snow. But I can tell you about it.

A friend of mine had a Dutton Decoy. I borrowed it and traced it onto some paper for my pattern. Then you can put it on any material you like. 1/4 inch chip board or plywood is good. I was lucky and found some fiberglass material that was only about 1/8 inch thick. It should last forever. I made it in three sections just like the Dutton and added henges. Painted it up and it works great.

14-Feb-08

Old Baldy's embedded Photo
Old Baldy's embedded Photo
I wanted to use an antelope decoy for our last rifle hunting trip to Wyoming. I decided that it would be too dangerous to use something that looks like a buck antelope with hundreds of hunters carrying rifles on public land. SO..... this is what I came up with! It worked great! Got us to within 50 yards of my daughters first antelope.

14-Feb-08
Baldy,

You used that overweight cow with no legs to get to within 50 yards of that buck?

Very nice indeed!

Congratulations to your little girl!

Michael

14-Feb-08
Nice thinking Old Baldy, more than one way to skin a cat. Congrats to you and your daughter.

Pete Ward has a build along for a deer decoy on his sight that could be modified for lope.

14-Feb-08

mn_archer's embedded Photo
Well I made a sketch then scaled it up to freezer paper. Tomorrow I'll transfer it to cardboard and tweek it a little-

I think I have a good idea to make the horns hinge up and lock into place for a buch, then just hinge them down, behind the head/neck for a doe decoy-

Michael

14-Feb-08
Michael, I think Pete was using something called "coroplast" which is (like it sounds) corrugated plastic. I think he said they have it at Home Depot.

14-Feb-08
Mike

I made one up several years ago borrowed to a friend and never got it back but I folowed someone elses thread from here. I use a thin sheet of paneling and traced a projected picture similar to your profile.

Then I used 1.5" thick insulation foam and spray adhesive and put 2 layers on it (3" thick) then sculpted it rounded with a fillet knife. I also added a few more pieces to the face for more profile and carved out the nose and horns.

I covered it with white "faux fur" from the craft shop and spray adhesive and then spray painted the body colors and black on the faux fur - except for eyes and horns. Last I got some shiny black silicone caulk and put that on the antlers and for the eyes.

Cut it down the middle fastened a hinge in place and went hunting. At 50 yards in the field the thing looked like a real goat with really short legs.

Wish I could get that thing back, but last i saw it, it had been the victem of many antelope hunts and the back of many pickup trucks on red ND scoria roads.

14-Feb-08
The hardest part of using the "cow" was not laughing as we were "sneaking" accross the praire. That, and my daughter freaking out every time a cow started following us! Really though... the goats would look at it and go back to browsing. The next trip I plan to use the bow. then I'll build a real decoy and have some fun with that. The corrugated plastic and the fake fur sound like good ideas.

14-Feb-08

Man I muct have too much time on my hands-

My little one looks so much better!

Michael

14-Feb-08
Michael I've been planning to build a decoy and have the materials but haven't put it together yet. Here is what I will use. I bought a large photo quality paper antelope target from the local archery shop and was going to laminate/glue it onto a piece of thin something (haven't decided on that yet, but the corrugated plastic is sounding good). Then spray it with a flat finish waterproofing to make it weather-proof. Will need to put a hinge or fold in there somewhere, someway. Advantage that I saw was it was more realistic than anything I could draw and was cheap. And the poster is about life-sized, too. But it is going to have to wait until after turkey season. Good luck.

14-Feb-08
For those who have made them..

How realistic do they need to be do you think?

Also, I need help naming it!

Michael

14-Feb-08
How about Slim.

14-Feb-08
I like that- Skinny Pete!

Michael

14-Feb-08

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I wonder if in addition to the decoy, if a guy wore an antelop hat if that would help when you poke your head out to shoot.???

14-Feb-08
i made one out of quarter inch plywood painted it white and a tan colour looked ugly very ugly! out of proportion small head big ass i put out ten yards from my blind and had six bucks come within 40 yards in three hours all you need is the right colour scheme and a silhouette and it will work fine i dont have any pics sorry.

14-Feb-08
Not to whizz on your parade, I know everyone needs something to do this time of year, but after hauling all sorts of decoys all over the prairie over the last 16 years, I just don't think you can beat the convenience, effectiveness and economy of a Montana Decoy.

15-Feb-08
Yup Busta'ribs, my thoughts exactly

15-Feb-08
Nah,

Too much fun to be had! Besides, it would b a great feeling to get Mir her first bor kill with something we had made together-

Michael

15-Feb-08
Judging by what I saw - doesn't need to be extremely realistic, just not shiny. I certainly would not spend the time carving a nose out like I did last time.

Ive always thought if I ever spend the time building another I would do two: an interchangeable hermaphrodite and a doe and hinge them together so they could be set up in a "v" \/ two does for early in the season, set up as a buck & a doe later in the season.

I'd have a hard time arguing with the montana decoy these days though unless I was going to build two as a blind.

15-Feb-08
For those who have used them...

How close do you want to get before deploying the decoy?

Can you show the decoy from 300 yards and get a response?

When one has come in can you draw from behind the decoy and then ease out or over and get a shot?

Michael

15-Feb-08
Baldy,

Is that a Black Angus?

michael

17-Feb-08
Mn archery, according to Mel Dunton, the inventor of the Dunton Pronghorn decoy

1. he does not use the decoy until he sees the herd buck starting chasing the smaller bucks away from his herd. This is usually in mid to late September depending on the state.

2. he tries to get a close a possible without be seen. 100 yards may be idea but depends on the topography.

3. His decoy allows one to drive the two stakes into the ground while setting it up and from behind.

4. also, he recommended not getting too close to the decoy but staying a few feet behind it so one have plenty of rooms to kneel and draw. Practice this in the backyard prior to the hunt and make sure your arrow with clear the decoy.

5. When looking at the animals afar, stay behind and do not look over the decoy but below its body or through a small body port hole.

6. you chance of decoying a buck will increase by 50% if you use a pronghorn challange call. Lohman Call makes then and they have also products a good tape showing the use of decoys and calling together. A must have as a teaching aid.

7. I have tried to decoy a buck with a buck decoy, early in the season but have not had good success until the rut get going later in September.

17-Feb-08
Are you able to decoy Does at all, or is it just bucks?

The license we would have in SD would be for one buck and one doe.

Michael

17-Feb-08
I did kill one doe who came to investigate the buck decoy.

19-Feb-08
The rut seems to be the best time to use a decoy. Unfortunatly, that is about the time our archery season ends here in Colorado.

I'm fortunate enough to have goats right in my back yard, so I can play with them. One of the things I have learned is that they will usually try to circle to the front or head end of the decoy. They seem to like to meet them head on.

When using the decoy on a waterhole prior to the rut, you need to have a good idea which way the goats will be coming from. Then place the decoy about 40-50 yards on the other side of your blind. When bucks come in they will usually hang up and focus their attention on the decoy and they probaby won't approach very close. They will stand 60-70 yards away and make scolding noises at your decoy.

If you leave a decoy out for long periods of time,(days or weeks), they will become used to it and not even pay any attention to it.

19-Feb-08
Hey WW

when playing around, how about just sitting down and raising your hat in the air every 30 seconds. that seems to work for me.

19-Feb-08

howler's embedded Photo
howler's embedded Photo

19-Feb-08
Howler,

That looks like craftsmanship there my friend!

Sweet!

I love making stuff with my own hands-

Michael

19-Feb-08
I made two real similar to howler's. I had two legs that were 3/8" ribar pressed into 2x2s that I attached to the body with a carriage bolt a couple fender washers and a wing nut. I could loosen the wing nut and put the legs down when I needed to. Two legs are a must because prairie winds can be fierce. Make sure you have a hole cut in the center of the body to peek through. I also attached rope to the backside to make it easy to carry with one hand, kinda like a shield. I probably had $10 or less into each.

What is the purpose of hinging the decoy in the middle?

Your drawing looks good mn_archer, but the body looks a little too long.

It's kinda fun once you get going. And if you are going to make one, you might as well make two. I made a buck and a doe. I wouldn't want to have to worry about putting horns up or down in the middle of a stalk. Plus bucks will typically have a black cheek patch and does will not.

I'd take pictures, but they are stored in the attic right now.

19-Feb-08

howler's embedded Photo
howler's embedded Photo
the decoy is a copy of a mel dutton decoy it hinges 3 times with kitchen cabnet hinges that spring open and hold it open. the hed folds in and the body folds in half. I used the thicker paneling material for the body, it is at least 20 years old and has lured in I'm going to guess nearly a hundred antleope.

19-Feb-08
I guess I forgot to say the purpose of the hinges is for carrying it, I do a alot of walking when i hunt antelope and it is jsut easier to pack around, especialy when the wind is blowing it catches less wind and don't blow around at all.

20-Feb-08
Howler,

Assuming your picture of your decoy were an actual hunting situation, how would you set it up?

Just set it up and hide behind it?

Do the antelope really just stand there while you draw and peek over for a shot?

Michael

20-Feb-08
PM sent michael

20-Feb-08
Photobucket

Photobucket

20-Feb-08
Your the man Steve!

Nice goat!

Thanks for the pm, one sent back at you!~

Good hunting-

Michael

20-Feb-08
I have one I built out of corrugated plastic. Two layers cemented together, with the ability to fold. It has one single stake that slides in and out. Hand painted it with duck decoy paint. It literally weighs less than a pound. Look pretty similar to Howler's. I made it "fat" so it's easier to hide behind. Used it once, killed a P&Y buck 3 hours into the hunt. I'll try to get a good photo of the decoy to post.

Here's a tip... keep the horns small. You don't want it to pose a threat to the 'lope you wanna kill.

20-Feb-08
Black tail Bob asked....I made this one 10years ago. I do believe it confuses em enough alot of the time to get off a shot. Ya shure do look like a genuine Dork tho..

20-Feb-08

buglemaster's embedded Photo
buglemaster's embedded Photo
Pic, where's the dang pic?

20-Feb-08
Did you see that episode of Bowhunter where Dwight Schuh was on Kodiak Island with a deer hat?

Talk about lookin goofy! lol

So you wear that thing behind the decoy?

Michael

20-Feb-08
Yes to both questions. I laughed my arsses off at Dwight, but I laughed just as hard when I saw what I had just posted. Have a strip of velcro attached to both hat & horns so it comes off real quick if I see anyone else.Still dont think I am as doofey lookin as Dwight!

21-Feb-08

tom stapf's embedded Photo
Here's my homemade decoy folded. It folds at an angle across the middle for easy transport. The diagonal fold allows th single stake to hold the decoy in solidly in the open position.

21-Feb-08

Here's the decoy fully deployed. Again it is made from 2 layers of corrugated plastic. Very durable and weather proof and extremely light. Only used it once, for 3 hours, P&Y buck. The rut is key. Bucks are even more worried about running other bucks off, than they are about chasing does.

05-Jul-08
Finally,

Skinny Pete is done! I actually made 2 just like this one and have enough material for at least 2 Doe and am thinking about making a rump siloutte.

I owe Steve S. (Howler) a huge thanks for all the help. He sent me many PM's since I first posted on this subject and I pretty much copied his design.

Thanks Steve, I owe you a beer next time I am out your way! Good hunting-

by the way, for those interested the hinges are spring opening so when they are opened up they stay open.

I will have about $13 into each decon when all is said and done-

michael

05-Jul-08

ladies and gentlemen,

It is my great pleasure to introduce you all to Skinny pete...

i just have to paint over the bolt heads. I painted him before I cut the folds in-

michael

07-Jul-08

G.R.'s embedded Photo
G.R.'s embedded Photo
I'm not the best artist but they do work! Killed about 40 bucks from these. 1/2" plywood , a couple cheap handles on the back , and a hole for your range finder.

07-Jul-08
Graham,

the hole for the range finder is an awesome idea!

Your goats bellies stick further down than mine. I was thinking of running a little burlap under the belly cause where we hunt the grass is pretty short.

Do you use the buck and doe each time?

michael

08-Jul-08
tom nice lope good going . guys my frend tried the montana gritters all they were good for were kites the lopes kept there dstance .... louis

08-Jul-08
I found this thread just in time! good deal. I've got 5 weeks before opener here in MT... will a decoy help at ALL in August and early Sept?

Today...I had a small buck, I"m guess a 1 1/2 year old, all by himself. He stood looking at me drive a Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton with a canopy....ALL WHITE...stood there at 90 yards watching...as I eased by and down the road at about 15 mph...he started trotting after me...followed for a good 200 yards before he stopped and watched me go... well...later in the day, about 4 hours later, he's in the same spot...does the same exact thing, only this time I hollered out the window for him to hurry up. He trailed 30 yards off the road at about 15-20 mph for about 200 yards before figuring out we weren't a herd I guess...????

E

09-Jul-08
Micheal ,

The bellies do stick down but a lot of the time we're standing up and they can see our legs and everything . We do try to drop to one knee when they look and then move when they look away . You really want the type of buck that is so mad that he is totally focused on the decoy and not too worried about the details. :^) We don't always use both but if you have some help it works pretty good . I've definetly killed animals mostly from the buck decoy but when we have both I usually put the shooter behind the doe. That way theres a better chance the buck won't notice him draw back . Once I had a client kill a 87" buck from just a doe decoy . The buck in the pic is 85" . The closer you can get to them before popping up the decoy ,the better . Not all bucks will come in , some take their girls and run and some will prefer to fight . A lot of the times the does will ruin it for you and run away taking the buck with them . Don't get discouraged . keep trying and you will get into the right situation . You will really learn to use the terrain to get close and sometimes you might even be able to allow the buck to see youe decoy with out the does even knowing . Have fun.

09-Jul-08
I am going on my first antelope hunt in wyoming in the second week in october. Just a few questions for you all.

Do you guys really use these decoys on public land? Also, I heard waving a white t-shirt will coax them into rifle range, has anybody else had any experience with this?

09-Jul-08

G.R.'s embedded Photo
G.R.'s embedded Photo
R-B-B ,

We have a separate bow season from the rifle season here in Alberta . Our bow season takes place in the rut so the decoys work great . We do not use the decoys in rifle season ---- and would not recommend it!

GR

15-Aug-08
Had to bring this back up... how about this years success! Maybe a new thread?

I am buying a piece of wood and some hinges and paint today.. This morning I went strictly spot and stock... nothing closer than 55 yards or so...cant quite shoot that far!

E

08-Sep-08

Hoyt X Tec's embedded Photo
Hoyt X Tec's embedded Photo
I wasn’t totally done with them when I took these pictures but they still look pretty good. I should explain myself before you get confused. I only hunt the rut, place both decoys about 15 to 20yrds from my blind. The buck has the ability to spin and face an approaching goat. It drives them nuts to see the doe lying down next to this dweeber, especially when the real ones pop up over a hill within a hundred yards or so. We have others that have swivel heads or heads that bow and posture. Not too many that we know of that do it like we do but if the rut is going they rarely can resist. I’ve had to exit the blind to pick them up after being gored by non shooter bucks.

08-Sep-08
I wish I could hunt the rut. Here in COlorado the season end on the 20 of sept. I feel the rut usuaully starts later than that.

09-Sep-09
TTT for the dude looking to make his own decoy. It is funny to rehash these old threads sometimes cause we get to see who has been a bad boy and been de-starred over the year! lol

michael

17-Aug-11
Well, I'm in the midst of building a decoy but not sure what to use as "legs" stakes. I see above rebar, but that seem heavy. What have some of you other guys used that worked well. Thanks

17-Aug-11

Wary Buck in the Den's embedded Photo
Wary Buck in the Den's embedded Photo
I used this decoy opening morning in MT this year, not to try to decoy an antelope, but to access my blind across an open area where I would be exposed to some antelope on a hillside. Literally 15 min. later I had a buck come running down to me...possibly on his way to water, but maybe to check out the decoy.

I only have this photo I took once I got home from the hunt, but it illustrates how I used it to shield me while I crab-walked across the open spot.

My brother and I made it from fiberglass probably 15-20 years ago.

17-Aug-11
Buffalo,

I would try aluminum angle. Can be had at most hardware or big home stores.

22-Aug-11

mist-a-hog's embedded Photo
mist-a-hog's embedded Photo
We call this one Robo-goat, he attaches on your stabilizer hole. Kinda tough to use in the wind tho!!

• Sitka Gear