Paul @ the Fort 08-Aug-08
jims 08-Aug-08
primitve 08-Aug-08
Rooselk 08-Aug-08
LitlRiddle 10-Aug-08
Ermine 10-Aug-08
Rooselk 10-Aug-08
30-Jul-08
In your Opinion.....From YOUR Experience...what is the best camo pattern for wide open hunting....spot and stalk.

I have my own opinion but I want to know have known to work for you....

NOt in a blind..in the wide open areas such as ND, SD, WY...etc...

30-Jul-08
I use the A.S.A.T. camo and really like it. I also think the Predator deception is really good. The ASAT camo doesn't look like a black dot, it is really light colored. Works and blends about anywhere.

30-Jul-08
anything that is PREDATOR! Especially the old Predator styles.

30-Jul-08
it has to be super light or it will stand out like a big blob....does predator have light camo?

30-Jul-08
DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU HuNT . HABITAt DICTATES CAMO.

30-Jul-08
I am mostly a tree hugger but, if I were hunting the ground consistently I would have either Predator Fall Brown or ASAT. ASAT probably would get the nod due to its availability. Fall brown is discontinued and you would have to buy from someone like Day One or Grey Wolf to get it.

30-Jul-08
Another vote for ASAT. The pattern regular hunting clothes is great for phenomonal try a ASAT 3D Pro Vanish leafy suit. Like a light weight weight over anything ghillie suit amazing concealment. I love ASAT so much I am a dealer. ASAT isn't more popular because it doesn't look like anything specific so it doesn't fool hunters; BUT it flat befuddles game.

30-Jul-08
Predator evolution is my #1. Less black and dark tones than the other predator patterns or ASAT. Max-1 looks pretty good as well.

30-Jul-08
Kings Desert Shadow

30-Jul-08
ASAT

30-Jul-08
I like the mossy oak brush. I blend in very well with this yellow grass we have here in the bay area. And the other I like is the open country.

30-Jul-08

pwahuntn's embedded Photo
Seclusion 3D/Mossy Oak brush

30-Jul-08

Mossy Oak Brush

30-Jul-08
I have seclusion 3d mossy oak brush and it sticks out unless your right by a sage brush....

two years ago me and three friends went to ND to hunt lope on public land....it was barren and wide open. we all wore different camo patterns for whatever reason. and we got a great look at how they blend in.

I had the realtree open pattern and it was to dark.

my friend had the army digital pattern and it was pretty close.

another friend had on seclusion 3d and that seemed too green.

the best out of all four of us was my friend who had on one of the oldest realtree patterns i ever saw...it was washed like a million times and was draggy......it blended in like a dream and broke the image great...he bagged the big buck that year.

me and my friends have tried everything we can get our hands on and am still trying to get something that will beat that outfit (which you can not buy).

desert storm camo actually works really good also.

I will to check out ASAT.....

30-Jul-08
I don't judge a camo's color by what I see. I judge the effectiveness of the pattern on how it works on game animals. That being said, I've hunted spot and stalk for mulies and antelope in North and South Dakota and in Wyoming. I've had very good luck with Predator Fall Brown and Fall Grey. I've also used Prairie Ghost with good results.

Tom

30-Jul-08
Ghillie suit in grass pattern for open sage country.

30-Jul-08
I usually bring a wide range of camo/colors/patterns with me on my hunts. What works well in one area (or time of year) may stand out in another. I'm color blind but what tends to stand out for me in most prairie situations is dark colors against a light background.

I normally set out a bunch of camo clothes and look at them from a distance. The colors/patterns that blend in and are the right material for the weather, type of hunting I will be doing, etc are the ones I use.

30-Jul-08
I used desert camo from a surplus store to stock and shoot a P&Y white tail in the praries of MT.

30-Jul-08
ASAT hands down. Dont judge camo from how it looks close up, look at it from a 1/2 mile away (like your open country mulies do) and you will see why, in my opinion, ASAT has no competition. By their 3-d suit, its cheap and you can wear whatever you want under it.

31-Jul-08
ok..here comes the stupide question....

ASAT??? what is that and where do I find it?

i've tried praire ghost too...it was pretty good also. its hard to find one cammo for a spot and stalk hunt because you might be in three different kinds of land on one stalk....praire, green grass, then hay bales...thanks for the input guys.

31-Jul-08
www.asatcamo.com stands for All Season All Terrain, and I feel it lives up to that claim.

Many camos try to match surroundings, which are shortfalls if you have different surroundings like you note, onlybow. ASAT (and to somewhat the same extent, Predator) break up your outline so that you are much less noticeable.

I've hung my ASAT leafy suit on branches, laid it on gravel, etc. and no matter where, it is extremely hard to pick out.

Carl

31-Jul-08
doesnt the black in the ASAT stand out like a sore thumb in the wide open? I checked theri pics and didnt see any with the open range in play....it looks good though....I probaly buy some.

31-Jul-08

ansci's Link
prarie ghost is what I use.

31-Jul-08
we do most of our hunting in the open prairie country of southern Alberta and I find a number of camos work well in some of our areas . I personally use all the predators , Kings Desert Shadow, Cabala's open country, realtree max 1, mossy oak brush , and prairie ghost. One of my guides prefers the desert storm camo .It works good out on the prairie grasses . I really like the Kings desert shadow but I've had success with all of these .

31-Jul-08
I guess I should get down to buisness and get my own pattern should'nt I......anybody know how to get that going?

07-Aug-08
Natual gear camo in tan it blends in every where.

07-Aug-08
Natural Gear is the best I've seen for alround use.

TT

08-Aug-08

Paul @ the Fort's embedded Photo
Paul @ the Fort's embedded Photo
ASAS pro leaf wear while turkey hunting. check out ASAS.com

08-Aug-08
I would have to agree w/BBAirborne. It is sometimes wise to wear a different camo pattern on bottom compared to top. I would expect this to break up the human form (tall and thin) a little better than having the same camo throughout? There aren't too many critters in the woods/prairie that walk upright like a man! It probably doesn't matter as much when squatting down or in a blind.

08-Aug-08
I tell my guys who come to bowhunt mulies in southeastern Alberta to buy the 3-D ASAT suit. Its cheap, and it really does work. The key with the 3-D suit is you need to wash it alot, rough it up, and give it that used look. I run mine over with my truck in the gravel, and wash it a dozen or more times before I use it. Its kinda like a good baseball glove, you need to work it in. Prairie Ghost, True Sage,Kings, Cabelas, Realtree, etc. look the same from afar, you look like bigfoot walking across the desert floor. Predator looks ok from afar, do they make Predator in 3-D?

08-Aug-08
I live in the west and I hunt on the ground. I primarily use ASAT. The stuff works. But I am also agree with others here about Predator - and especially the older patterns.

10-Aug-08
Why is it that you always here people say the older patterns are better? IF they were better why don't companies go back to them? Or is it the washing has muted and lightended up the colors so much they fade in better?

10-Aug-08
I have found that Predator Brown works for anything. From elk in the timber to Antelope on the praire.

10-Aug-08
"doesnt the black in the ASAT stand out like a sore thumb in the wide open?"

I've worn it while hunting in open desert areas. It works just fine. In an open area with no cover ASAT will still break up your outline from a distance but movement would certainly be detected regardless of the type of camo worn.

• Sitka Gear