gil_wy 25-Aug-12
hoytshooter 26-Aug-12
AHunter35 26-Aug-12
petedrummond 26-Aug-12
ahunter55 26-Aug-12
HiMtnHnter 29-Aug-12
Tim in Wyoming 29-Aug-12
24-Aug-12
My buddy just got back from Wyoming and said antelope population is way down. anyone hunting or scouting in Douglas?

24-Aug-12
Fought fire in WY in 1975. Took a bus from Casper on down to the Medicine Bow and saw tons of 'lopes.

Guy I work with who is from there say there are nowhere near the numbers from a few decades ago. No reason known, perhaps the WFG knows, perhaps wolves or elk.

25-Aug-12
I'll be hunting the 88 Ranch north of Douglas a week from tomorrow. Hope there are some goats around! Dave

25-Aug-12
bowhutnbob, what is your buddy's reference wrt the antelope population?

i hunted north of douglas in 2009 and saw about 40 goats a day from my blind. i saw many more traveling to and from my hunt location. i am going back this year, and heard the population is good. the winters have not been harsh in that area the last few years as i understand.

wolves or elk are not impacting them in this area as posted above.

25-Aug-12
My wife and i were just in Wy this past Mon-Thus.

We drove from Custer Battlefield to Dayton, WY on Mon. evening and only saw 1 small group of antelope just south of Custer Battlefield.

Then on Wed. we drove from Dayton to Sheridan and then over to Devils Tower on 14? We saw maybe 50 antelope on that route......a herd of 20-30 were just north on the outskirts of Sheridan.

We then drove from Devils Tower, south on the WY side of the Blackhills down to Four Corners and then went north to Spearfish, SD. We saw less than 10 antelope in this area.

On Thurs. we drove from Spearfish, SD to Aberdeen, SD I don't think we saw an antelope.

Granted this was all highway driving, but I thought we'd have seen more antelope.

We saw even less deer on these routes.

We're hunting the Moore Ranch again and Lee said the population looks healthy where he's at, north of Douglas, WY. Last year I'd have to say between 4 of us, we saw an average of 15-30+ antelope a day.

Impatiently waiting for Sept. 15 to get here so we can be Moore Ranch bound again!

Brian

25-Aug-12
Plenty of them south of Gillette.

25-Aug-12
Friends just got back from near Douglas. 7 hunters, 3 Bucks, 2 Does Though they saw several it's nothing like 3 years ago. I went to Wy. 2010 (N.E. near S.D. border) & 2011 east of Douglas. The unit I hunted in 2010 (no points & left over tags) took a point to draw last year & this & no left overs 2008 & 2009 winters, late snows are one reason for fewer animals we are told. Spotty at best but I'm sure some areas much better than others. Surrounding private land & land locked can make a big difference in areas. If it's guided, I'm guessing your pretty well set. I think tags were reduced in most units this year.

25-Aug-12
Thousands where I live.

Next year they may be way low. I expect a bad winterkill, whether the winter is bad or average. There is NO feed at all out there. Elk and deer will be hurting bad as well.

25-Aug-12
I'd say numbers in SE wyoming are down but nothing like next year... it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenerio... if we get a winter, as Tracy said, we're going to have record winterkill... if we don't, everything will be in trouble cuz of lack water...

26-Aug-12
leaving today for my 1st lope hunt east of douglas on private ground with some water hopefully they are plentiful will be 8 of us and will post again in 12 days

26-Aug-12
Hunted the 16th-22nd just north of Douglas in Zone 26. Yes there are goats around but even the local people tell you there are as many. 7 hunters hunted hard and managed 3 bucks and 2 does with one lost. Many water holes are dried up and a couple guides are hunting all the public land with blinds set up even before we got there.

Keep an eye out for the Game Warden. Not the most friendly person as he told us, "We don't want you here! There aren't any goats on public land. Stop buying the leftover tags."

We were early so as you get closer to the rut, you may see more action. Just very slow, put your time in the blind if you find good water.

26-Aug-12
I have five tags for 26 and will fill them all in a three day hunt. Filled six in 2010. Very little public land in 26 and goats get run off real fast onto adjoining private land. I hunt with wyoming perfessional hunters and we have three guys on 60000 acres. Lotta goats everwhere. (Over 3000)

26-Aug-12
I was in WY in 2010 and 2011. I saw hundreds of Pronghorns. they were everywhere!

AHunter35- I would have a hard time believing a warden would tell you that. Everyone I have met in WY has gone out of their way to be friendly and courteous.

26-Aug-12

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
Kevin in Ws-no they are not all friendly. We had a rancher DESTROY a pop up by a waterhole in 2011(walk in) & got the warden involved (we called him). They didn't want to rile the landowner being PAID for the walk in. We got NO cooperation from DNR & especially the Warden. NOTHING about blinds in the landowners rules. Trust me, we ALWAYS knew ALL the rules & where we were & are not SLOB or Disrespectful hunters. I was out there 2010-2011 with a resident & a couple friends & yes, numbers were down. Area I hunted in 2010 was no points & everyone got a tag, last 2 years it takes at least one point to draw the same area. 1st day in 2011 I passed (15 yds watering) on a yearling, a Doe & her fawn JUST because numbers we were seeing were low-I said I would not shoot a yearling or Doe with fawn B/4 I went hunting for that reason & I did not. Some areas have more & others are bad & yes, tags have been reduced in many areas. We hunted a different area for that reason last year (2011) AND all the local ranchers we spoke with were great-no guides in the area though. Everyone had shooting & we killed 2 exceptional Bucks on public land. This warden DID say those words as I know hunter35 & another guy that was there at the time. I have over 35 years of Bowhunting western states, public & yea, not all are friendly (small %) BUT we all know about improper Private property sighs on BLM or public, land locked public & a few other tricks pulled on the newbies. Overall, locals are helpful & friendly but it only takes 1 A-S to make it bad for all, local OR N.R. Hunter. petedrummand-good for you, enjoy your better than average hunt & please, post some pics. Antelope, for the most part to me is about the easiest Biggame animal to GET A SHOT at, you just have to be patient & hope it stays hot & dry. As far as the spot & stalkers & their long range archery kills (60+), that is not for me. I follow the rules, respect those & their property who live whereever I hunt & the privilage to hunt public land in those areas & only ask the same respect. For those yet to hunt, I hope you tag a dandy as I did NOT get to go this year.

29-Aug-12
Antelope numbers in SE and Central Wyoming are down from my observations. I hope we have another easy winter and wet spring.

29-Aug-12
It's dry. They cut back on the # of tags anticipating a bad winterkill due to lack of feed. If you have a tag, you'll find a goat this season. Next spring will tell the tale, as far as next year's herd.

• Sitka Gear