HiMtnHnter 06-Apr-24
WYelkhunter 07-Apr-24
Missouribreaks 07-Apr-24
Tilzbow 07-Apr-24
Tilzbow 07-Apr-24
Knothead 07-Apr-24
Wild Bill 12-Apr-24
07-Aug-06
I am a first time antelope hunter and will be hunting on BLM land. Here is the question. As has been explained to me, You cannot put up any kind of fixed structure on BLM land without a permit and you cannot use any of the natural material to build a tempory structure (blind). If you put up a temporary structure (blind), it must be removed by the end of the day. If this is correct, then those who are putting up blinds are breaking the law if not put up and removed the same day. Putting local hunting practices aside and staying withing the law, a first time hunter such as myself walks into a water hole on BLM property and sees a blind and a sign. Knowing the law, I ignore the sign and set up my portable blind. Along comes the guy who built the blind and asks me to leave because he previously claimed the hole because he built the blind and posted a sign. Who's right? Now you cannot claim "hunting ethics" would dictate that the guy who built the blind should have first rights because he is not complying with the laws and "hunting ethics" should and would be in harmony with the law and would favor the "other guy". Isn't the guy who built the blind and posting a sign being selfish, unethical and out of line? Now if I am mis-understanding the laws, then all of this is a mute point... certainly the current hunting practices would apply under those circumstances. Comments?

07-Aug-06
Check with the local BLM office in the area you wish to hunt. Where I live, you can place blinds out on BLM as soon as you know you have a permit. You can also dig pit blinds and cover them with natural vegetation as long as you fill the hole back in when you are through hunting.

It is pretty much understood around here that if you are the first one to put up a blind on a water hole it is yours to hunt. Many leave their name and contact information so others may may use the pond when the owner of the blind is done. It's just good sportsmanship.

07-Aug-06
I dont agree with the last post. I think its poor ethics to think that if you put up a blind the place is yours to hunt for the season. Whats to stop me from putting up 10 blinds and locking up all the water holes in an area? Out here (the west) on PUBLIC ground its first come first serve. There is an area that I often hunt that has a tree stand. Someone puts it up every year. I hunt the area fairly often and have NEVER seen anyone there. I have at times been in the next tree over hunting. Its PUBLIC ground. I also have several aquaintences that put up a half dozen or so stands every year and sometimes dont hunt all of them. Does that mean that they own these spots? No way. Its hard to find a good area that no one knows about. Putting up a stand/blind doesnt make it yours. I wouldent hunt in someone elses stand but if I'm there first I sure will put up my own and hunt.

07-Aug-06
I agree with Andy, and in fact that is the law here in Arizona for public lands. I'm not sure exactly what BLM regulations may say, but placing a blind on water on public land does not reserve that spot for your exclusive hunting in our state. Public land here is on a first come first served DAILY basis. While you can leave a blind up for a longer period of time than a day on most public lands, it does nothing to reserve that spot. I would not get in someone else's blind and then claim I was there first, but I would agree that if you arrived first that day and set up your portable blind next to theirs, then you have the right to hunt that spot for that day. Afterall, with a portable blind like the Double Bull blinds, you can't just leave them out on public ground because they would likely be quickly stolen. You really have no choice but to set them up daily, and that should not prevent you from having an equal chance to hunt available water. I would print a copy of the BLM laws and place it in a plastic bag in his blind. It makes little difference what the "local custom" is, the law takes precedence as you have said.

07-Aug-06
I would like to weigh in on this discussion, as basically all I do is hunt public land. I love to hunt antelope, mule deer, elk, bear etc. In the areas I hunt, they inhabit public land.

My DAD,(bless his soul) taught me from a very young age to honor all land and all the critters of God's creation.

So I really believe there are few out there with any more respect for the land than I have. I have made it a creed, no matter whiter I'm walking my dog in a public park, driving down a BLM dirt road or climbing a steep Forest Service mountain, to leave any area I pass over or through, better for my being there.

Sometimes we bowhunter’s are our own worse enemy. We ***** and complain because a guy puts up a treestand or digs a pit blind and most of flack is done by the guy who is riding his four wheeler across the country trying to find a place to hunt, or a guy in a four wheel drive truck, tearing up the mountain roads to get to the high spring that shows on a map.

I personally think we have to take care of the country and be responsible, but that does not mean a treestand or a ground blind can not be built and used responsibly. It also means that when you leave the area, you leave it better than you found it.

You do that by refilling the hole you dug, cleaning up not only your mess, but others too. Walk and pack the materials you use, don't drive right up to where you plan to build your blind.

If your one of these guys that just drive around looking for a waterhole, just off the road, then no wonder there's a blind already there. The guy that put it there got off his duff and did his work early. I know that doesn't agree with lots of you, but there are a lot more good waterholes than just the one or two you are complaining about. Had you been the first one there, done the work necessary, then you might understand a tad more than you do if someone already had a blind at the waterhole you found or planned to hunt. If it’s a good waterhole, then the guy probably won't be there very long and it will soon be available. If it’s not that great the guys has done you a favor by sitting there and leaving some of the good ones to those who are willing to do the work to find and fix them.

It's so easy to get mad at someone, but much more productive to just get off your can and work hard and find those good waterholes that are hidden and out of the way. In most cases the best waterhole have yet to be discovered and most years go throughout the season without a blind or treestand, as most guys are not willing to pay the price it takes. It much easier just complaining about someone who has more incentive than you., than it is to find one of your own and do the work.

I really like hunting waterholes, and every year I find great waterholes that have never had a treestand or ground blind placed by them. I find them by walking in areas far from the roads, as almost every waterhole that's on or near a road will be taken. But that doesn’t mean they are the best ones, as they have yet to be found. And this is especially true once the season begins.

From my experience, one can not put up and take down a pop up blind daily and expect much action unless one is hunting animals that are pretty acclimated to people. Wild critters just don’t like that much activity.

My suggestion is spend your time hunting for the BEST waterhole and leave the complaining to those that really aren't willing to pay the price. Most of those people don't have the patience or the ability to set one up anyway. Here in Utah, a good portion of their time will be spent road hunting or hounding those that are willing to get off their duffs!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

07-Aug-06
BB, not only do the pictures you post create a lasting memory, your wisdom is refreshing.

09-Aug-06
BB, Over in the Parker Mtns where I was looking, it is cattle country and all the water holes have roads to them. There are roads everywhere. You are right, scout can be productive, but that still does not give anyone any rights to claim sole possession of public land. Here is a quote I found regarding BLM land in Utah. Tell me your thoughts after reading it.

Note from the BLM on Ground Blinds--

"No blinds are to be constructed out of native materials on public land. A person can bring a portable blind with him to hunt as long as it can be picked up and removed at the end of the day. Blinds are not to be left on public land, even for as short a period as overnight. Blinds found on public land will be destroyed and the responsible party cited for trespass and/or for littering.

Any questions, please contact Mike Nelson, JuLee Pallette, or Randy Griffin"

That seems pretty specific and if it is true, then customs or not, hard work or not, it is unlawful and criminal. By the way, this is from the Utah BLM office regarding our area. I have not called... seems pretty clear to me.

I plan on hunting a few days and will likely do the spot and stalk. I will drive to a high point (on the road with my ATV and then hike the rest of the way), set up my spotting scope and look for a decent animal and then proceed. If while on the stalk I should find a water hole to my liking, I'll come back with a portable blind. If I find a note, I'll ignore it and hunt the water hole unless it is occupied, then I'll proceed to another spot. To me, this is not *****ing or being lazy, it is hunting and I would think many do the same thing. You are assuming all who do not set up a blind are being lazy. Many are... many are not. Do lump all of us in the same catigory. Now with the BLM information I posted, do you still feel the same about digging a hole and covering it up when you are finished? As I read it, you can not do it legally.

09-Aug-06
Where I hunt- public land- I've found that you can rarely go hunting without breaking some crazy law you didn't even know about. It has been my experiance that if you are not bothering anyone else and not doing something so blatantly stupid as to just be dumb you will be left alone.

Am I saying you should be breaking the law every chance you get? Heck no, but in this case I thinkI'd be more than happy with setting up my blinds and be willing to pay the price if it came down to it- but then I've taken the time to get to know all the local hunters and conservation officers in my area.

Good hunting-

Michael

09-Aug-06
Kevin, like I said before, we as bowhunter are our own worse enemy. Many of the ridiculous rules (not laws) that govern public land are made by a few people who hear someone grip so the easiest way to solve that problem is to make such "stupid" rules.

Those same managers then turn around and let the cattle and sheep people erect structures they need, many of which are left to fall apart on their own.

I've hunted antelope with a bow many times. I have never hunted them in Utah however. In Wyoming one can do as I say, but they must fill their hole when complete. The few holes, dug by such a limited number of bowhunters, as long as they are filled, when the hunt is completed, does no permanent damage when compared to 4 wheelers, trucks etc. The guys who make these rules can't see past their nose as far as I'm concerned. We all need to take care of and respect the land and so I am of the belief that if we do that, we can use it in many ways as long as respect is at the top of our list. If you can't leave a blind up over night on BLM ground, then why do you even have the right to leave your truck, atv, etc any place over night. To me it’s all hogwash and brought on by many people, some being bowhunters complaining about what you are complaining about.

The first 4 or 5 antelope I ever took with my bow were taken by stalking. I can only say you have your work cut out. And if you want a nice buck, I don't think you will get one often out of a blind that was set up on the day you plan to take him. That's just been my experience over the years. I'm sure it can be done, but the times will be few and far between in my opinion.

What I think about the Utah BLM policies?. I think BOU and UBA should be working to get these stupid polices changed, rather than editorialize like BOU has been doing on their home page. I believe 180 degrees in the opposite direction, than does inclose (another bowsiter and founder of BOU). Had I known or felt that was going to be their position, then I would have never, ever, become a lifetime member. I hope others in that organization are wise enough to see that position will only divide bow hunters and drastically reduce their chance of success.

That's my .02 cents on the subject!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

09-Aug-06
that is funny in Idaho it even says in the regs that it is against the law to dig on BLm grounds, if you talk to BLM they will say the same thing " no digging for any reason"

we hae the same deal about the guy that sets up the blind first being the guy with first rights to it. i leave a note in it and this is the first year anyone has called me. we worked it out and i will hunt it the first few days and he will hunt it the first weekend. both of us will be happy :)

09-Aug-06
Bill, I apologize that you understand the information on the BOU site as an "editorial" this was not the intent of the information put on the site.

As you mentioned above bowhunters are our own worst enemy, and no matter how ridiculous the law happens to be it is still the law.

If one bowhunter goes to the site and either saves themselves a costly ticket or prevents a complaint call to the BLM it will go a long way in future hunting opportunities that could in fact be put in jeopardy because we are our own worst enemy by not understanding the laws as they are written.

BOU is not anti blind or anti treestand in any way shape or form other than being very against home made treestands that are both unsafe, spiked into tree's and as eyesore to all that hunt our public lands.

Again the information provided on the BOU website is intended to be how the letter of the law reads and not the BOU position.

Gordy Bell President Bowhunters Of Utah

09-Aug-06
Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not sure I agree with the rules on everything either, but as Gordy stated, that is the law and we are obliged to obey. I personally do not have a problem with the blinds I saw, but I do have a problem with the notes left. If I were an out of state hunter and came to the area and found a note like that, I'd be livid, I was, and I am a local. I will not comply with someones note. It is public land and the first to get to the area is the one who uses it. Building a blind is not a problem with me other than the person who builds it should not suppose that gives him any special rights to land use. However, BLM policy states differently and so as ethical and law abiding bowhunters, we must comply or be considered criminal and risk giving bowhunting a bad reputation. So, as the ethical hunter I know you are, are you going to follow your personal feelings or comply with the law? You aren't asked to like it, only to obey. Perhaps the real reason the BLM policy about blinds exists is because other hunters have been claiming water hole rights and this was a simple way to stop the arguing/complainig. No blinds, no reason to claim hunting rights, problem resolved.

The real difference between cattle / Sheep ranchers and hunters is the hunter is the only one who does not get a permit to alter the land. If one has a permit, then I think that gives the person a few more rights including deciding who sits his blind.

09-Aug-06
Hi Kevin. Right now I don't have time to answer all your qestions as I am waiting for son of a guy whom I built a home for many years ago. His brother drew an archery elk tag here in Utah on the Wasatch. He scouted and found what he thinks is a great waterhole several miles from the nearest road and has ask me if I would go up and give him my opinion of where to place a stand. I agreed, and he should be here any moment. But I will answer those questions soon.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

09-Aug-06
Since all I have time to do is be a lazy bowhunter and envy all those who "work harder at it". Let me try and redeam my lazy self.

No one ever thought to call the BLM and ask about the issues of blinds under the Utah thread because they were so busy being motivated I assume. Being the lazy self I am, with all my lazy time, I made a phone call and ask the public land agency in question if they had the true Pooh about blinds on BLM lands.(I've been on oxygen ever since). Sorry I was running out of gas and didn't put phone numbers with the names out of the SLC district. Being so lazy minded also caused me to not mention that these policys may vary in other districts, truly that was my bad. I apologize to the motivated bowhunters. They will have to take a minute to find a number in order to call and find out the actual truth of the matter.

My lazy self was asked to become a part of BOU to help preserve bowhunting opportunity in the state of UT. Having good information and acting accordingly is one way to help justify what we love to do, to the decision makers. This particular BLM manager supplied this informational policy for the region he manages and happens to sit on the Northern Region RAC (public input arena for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources). This is just one place where bowhunters go to plead thier causes. If BOU is to make any in roads preserving or advancing bowhunting in the state of Utah, then they first and formost must require members to be within the laws, silly or not! Silly laws often die a silly death overtime, but they are still on the books and could be inforced. For Example: In England if men of such an age do not practice 4 hours a day on Sunday on the village square with the bow then they could go to jail. That was still on the books from the 1500's some twenty years ago when I checked. (just an example the US has plenty of their own) With all the public land issues of our nations lands, you'd better be checking.

If the laws are silly then there are ways to go about fixing them, but it takes time and a whole mess of lazy bowhunters to do it. BOU at the moment is working on a legal access map to the Wasatch Front hunt, to help clear up some conflicts there. This could help keep that a secured opportunity if bowhunters will just comply. A bunch of lazy bowhunters are working on the issue at the moment while motivated bowhunters are scouting. Thank goodness for a few lazy bowhunters. I hope I saved at least KJ a ticket. KJ was just lazy enough to get on this sight and try to help any other lazy bowhunter who may had enough energy to click the mouse and get better information. For that he gets the lazy bowhunter award. (Someday it may come in the mail)

I think BOU would be happy to refund membership fees to anyone who may have donated and doesn't feel that BOU is near lazy enough! (If BOU can find anyone with enough effort to mail the check back)

This message brought to you buy one of the laziest bowhunters you'll ever meet. That is one reason I chose my handle. It's just easier not to miss if I'm inclose, and I'm all about easy!

If your a lazy UT bowhunter (look at that, to give out to type the state) you may want to join BOU. Check out thier web sight.

10-Aug-06
Guy, I could not be more discouraged or disgussed with with your self rightous reply. Please see I get my refund. You guys have my address.

BB

10-Aug-06
Kevin I personally think there are many regulations on the BLM books that are ridiculous. That is my whole point. There are few guys that ride four wheelers, you included that hasn't broken that law. There are few outdoorsmen that drive pickups or cars that haven't done more damage to the country they visit than is done by letting a blind stay near a waterhole for the duration of time it takes to get the critters accustomed to it and to hunt from it. My point is that these regulations are absurd.

It's true that some hunters many not fill their holes, or take care of the country, but it also true that many 4 wheeler don't honor the rules and regulations and the damage is far greater.

Like I've mentioned, I've never hunted antelope in Utah and don't plan on it soon or until these stupid regulations get changed.

I've hunted Wyoming many a time. I've never once had a blind problem up there. I drew out up there this year and returned to three different places we had blinds the last time I hunted there in 2002. Only one of the three areas had a blind built there since I hunted it in 2002. So there are places around that are just waiting for someone to hunt them, if they care to look.

Incidentally, the one waterhole that had blinds built there since I left it in 2002, was very near a road. (Small wonder huh!)

I just think bowhunter’s should have every right everyone else has to use the land as long as they do it with respect. If we take away privileges because someone fails to fill their hole, then all four wheelers and ranchers and everyone else would not be able to use public lands, as their will ALWAYS be a few bad apples in every group.

Each person has decide where and how he wants to hunt. I will honor a guy with a blind or a stand or one making a stalk on a critter, even though the critter he hunts is not his until he places his tag upon it. I know others see differently and that’s fine too.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

10-Aug-06
The point isn't mute, it is moot, which means arguable. This thread makes the point.

;-D

10-Aug-06
Bill I will see that your full refund is in the mail this week.

I would hope that we all as outdoorsmen be it bowhunters, ATV users, hikers, bikers, photographers or any other classification that spends time on our public lands would obey the laws as they are written.

It does not really matter if we agree with the law or not, my personal opinion is child molesters are no different than a coyote, shoot them on site, no seasons or bag limits. When we go to an extreme one way or the other we tend to end up with extreme outcomes ( laws )

Do we have these laws changed by just obeying the ones we agree with and disreguarding the ones we don't?? No, it's kind of hard to get anything done from a jail cell and if we keep abusing the intent behind the law you are just adding bricks to the foundation for strengthening the absurd law.

Bowhunters of Utah is not perfect and NEVER will be but I can promise you we will ALWAYS support the laws governing our outdoors and wildlife. Where as a Board of Directors do we draw the line?? Is tresspassing OK but poaching is not?? Is driving across a closed meadow on an atv considered OK but shooting from a road taboo?? If laws need to be changed BOU will work to do what we can. Things are not going to change immediately and just because we have different opinions on the same matter dodesn't mean we can't sit down like men and hammer things out. This oraginzation will never have 100% agreement with everyone involved there are too many people and too many issues involved to meet every persons need all of the time. Just know that all decisions made by BOU follow two basic guidlines; is it good for wildlife and is it good for bowhunters! If you agree I would hope you would consider joining on if you don't BOU probably isn't the group for you.

If I can answer questions from anybody please don't hesitate to call

Gordy 801-597-4416

10-Aug-06
Don, You are right, my TV went on the blink and it's stuck in MUTE and that was on my mind. Thanks for the correction. My mother was a High School English Teacher and she really did teach me better. (Both home and at school).

Thanks BB. I always welcome your thoughts. We will be heading to Wyoming also for a doe antelope hunt next month. We'll likely become one of those who hunt near the road as we will only get up there once prior to the hunt. We are on private ground however and that may make a difference.

I too will honor a guy with a stand or blind or making a stalk. But leaving a note and claiming he has sole right to the area for the entire hunting season is beyond belief and that gets nothing from me. That is exactly what the note stated at the blind I bumped into. You can bet that if the blind were not there, the note would not have been left. (The blind was left from the previous year and who knows for sure if it had been there the year prior to that also)

We'll have to share lies and stories this winter during the leagues. I'm sure I'll be over to shoot the Wed league a few times.

12-Aug-06
Inclose, I hope you are not on the board of directors for BOU. If you are, I can see that organization going down the tubes real fast.

12-Aug-06
Being a public servant, and keeper of the Ordinances and Resolutions of the Municipality I live and work in, I must say that our "law" or Municipal Code changes almost every time we have a public meeting and pass an Ordinance. Each time it is examined, there is usually some room for improving upon the current "law".

The "law" or rules are much like our U.S. Constitution, it is a great framework to start with, but realistically something that was written over 200 years ago cannot and will not apply to every situation or issue in this day and age. That is why laws are ammended, ommitted, and continue to be changed as a living document.

I happen to agree with Bill (BB's) sentiments on public land use and homemade treestands, etc...

I think the BLM and Forest Service have bigger issues in attempting to control the ATV's and off-roaders which go where they please even though in many areas it is unlawful to be going where they do.

I would much rather walk into a canyon and find an "illegal" treestand hanging over a waterhole 3 miles from the nearest road, than to be sitting there hunting it and some slob, lazy, law breaking ATV or motorcyle rider comes riding up because they don't have the courtesy to obey the posted roads laws.

Just my $.02

I guess if it is unlawful to dig a pit blind, or to hang a homemade treestand in Utah, one would have to "risk" breaking the law if they choose to do so. However, if the Utah resources for enforcing the laws are anything like they are here in Colorado, I doubt that someone like BB will ever see an officer or Game Official 3 miles back in, unless they are using their "special priveledge" and show up on their ATV, because chances are these things will go unnoticed and the only ones noticing is ourselves. As Bill suggests, take care of our lands, and respect it and these problems are not really an issue.

No offense to the USFS or Division of Wildlife guys, especially since my father-in-law is a District Ranger with the USFS for the past 32 years, and some of the guys we hunt with are Division of Wildlife Officers.

Fact is, there are only a handful of people out there enforcing these "laws", and many of them are sportsmen such as ourselves that when faced with situations look at things and have some discretion out in the field to do not only their duty, but to do what they feel is morally and legally impactful.

12-Aug-06
WW I would urge you not to jump to conclusions about an individual over a 3rd grade p!ss!ng match on the internet. I respect both of these men a great deal and I had felt honored to have both involved in BOU. The funny thing about these two guys is the HUGE freaking amount of respect they both have for our public lands. I would absoultely PROMISE YOU that neither of these men would walk past a piece of litter on a trail without bending over to pick it up, as well as leaving the campsite they choose cleaner than it was when they arrived.

Could these two "men" have handled this differently?? I would have hoped they would have but unfortunately they did not and now apparently we are caught up in choosing sides between two good "men" and are basing our opinion of a young organization on the same criteria.

I wish I would have had the chance to have a discussion about this issue before a post was put out in a public forum and people became riled up over a supposed stance that does not exist.

12-Aug-06
Gee Gordy...that is what we do on public boards. We get board during the off season and so we all try to become experts at our own opinions and feelings and then we share them. This would be a boring site if we couldn't disagree once in a while. (Just jerking your chain a bit).

12-Aug-06
KJ The antelope steaks will be on for me sometime around October. Unfortunately I won't get the chance to use my bow. It would have been fun but oh well the end result will still be tasty steaks on the grill.

BOU has been asked to provide input on a situation that has a direct effect on the area you will be chasing speedgoats next week. I will be meeting with the people at SITLA on Tuesday to provide input concerning an agreement that is set to expire in Sept of 2007 between SITLA and the UT DWR.

I would urge everyone reading this to gain as much knowledge as possible on this situation. Not to say the other issue of to blind/stand or not to blind/stand is not important because it is. But if you guys need something to rally around that actually means something more than his opinion vs my opinion here ya go boy's.

12-Aug-06
Personally, I'd put my blind or stand up regardless.

13-Aug-06
Here's the stuff I think hurts bowhunters and hunting far more and does more damage to the lands by far. This could make a good editorial subject and something that would benefit every single hunter of every weapon, save the guy with the Governor’s tag and his entourage of Bounty hunters!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-06 AT 11:17 PM (MST) Ok, I've been on one lately---really need to go hunting!!!

Anyway, what do you guys in Colorado think about the Utah invented "Finders Fee"? Heck, what do us Utards Is it acceptable to you? Remember, these Governors Tags raise a lot of money.

Does it portray "hunting" wrong? Should a fee like that be put into play to motivate people to share what they know?

Is finding a deer via think of it?

hefty "Finders Fee" ethical?

If you had the money, would you pay a "Finders Fee" in hopes of killing a super buck or bull?

Finders Fee = Guides who have contracts with clients who have bought statewide tags (Governors Tags) will sometimes offer to the hunting public a "Finders Fee" (usually $10,000 or so) for telling them where a super buck or bull is that they ultimately kill. Basically, offering a "Finders Fee" allows the main guide to employ hundreds, if not thousands, of people to search for a trophy buck or bull. Finding huge animals is VERY hard for just 4-6 guides, as really big bucks and bulls are few and far between.

Brian Latturner

For more details, see thelink above.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

13-Aug-06

BB's Link
Here's a link for those of you interested. I know its a bit off the subject of blinds on BLM ground, but help gets my point across, that are much bigger and more important issues that blinds and treestands. Let's get the public spotlight on this, as this could ruin all hunting and in the long run affect every single one of us.

Have a great bowhunt BB

13-Aug-06

BB's Link
Hopefully this will work. Click the link, then click on the second link, about the third post down as I recall.

14-Aug-06
So Gordy... give us some information or some place to go to find what you are referring to.

14-Aug-06
SITLA and the UT DWR had an agreement to allow sportsman access to SITLA land. This agreement expires in Sept of 2007. SITLA now realizes the value of wildlife on this land.

The SITLA mandate is to generate funds from this property. I will know the SITLA stance tomorrow after about 10:00 am.

I will leave it to you to take it from there.

http://www.utahtrustlands.com/about/

15-Aug-06
So who is SITLA and what land do they own? Everything I have been on down there has been BLM, State Trust and National Forest.

16-Aug-06
State Trust kj.......

Good luck, Robb

05-Apr-24
Check directly with the local BLM office!

05-Apr-24
Claiming a waterhole for an entire season is literally criminal, there is no way that should be accepted by anyone. People wait years and spend a lot of time and money to draw certain tags, if everyone chooses to only follow laws a regulations that they think are important and fair they would be no better than than poachers or trespassers. You don't have to agree with all Game and Fish laws but you have to follow them if you consider yourself an ethical sportsman that cares about our wildlife and conservation efforts. You see what is happening in these Woke cities where people choose not to follow certain laws that they don't think apply to them, pretty soon things get out of control.

05-Apr-24
18 years and still going...

06-Apr-24
I have put my blind up in blm as early as two weeks before the season and left for a better part of the season some years. Never had an issue.

07-Apr-24
It is absurd to think you have "claimed" a spot by being the first to put up a blind/treestand. It is federal land and you have no right to claim anything just because you went out a day earlier than another person and put up something. If you show up one day and someone else is already in their blind/treestand or what ever move on, hopefully you have back up locations.

As for if it is legal to build or put one up, check with the local BLM districts and State land laws where you are hunting. I don't care how ridiculous you think they are fallow the laws/regulations. If you don't like them find ways to try and get them changed. If people just quit fallowing laws/regulations they think are dumb the world goes in a bad direction.

07-Apr-24
I never left blinds or stands up on public lands. Remember they look like trash to the non hunting public land user. And , nobody has the right to claim any public land hunting spot, it belongs to everyone.

07-Apr-24
30+ years ago, before pop-up blinds, it was common to see permanent or temporary T-post and burlap covered chicken wire pit blinds at water holes on BLM land. Now the only t-post and chicken wire pit blinds I see are the ones built 30+ years ago. Pop ups are now the norm. That said the accepted practice in Nevada to scout the area you plan to hunt soon after draw results are released and then hang a clear plastic bottle at the water hole with a note including your name, phone number and the days you plan to hunt. It’s first come first served and whether or not you agree with how it’s done this practice avoids hunter conflict and has worked for as long as I can remember. What’s not acceptable is to put your name on more than one water hole. That said, Nevada has more BLM land than any other state in the lower 48 and low hunter numbers so the competition is not as great.

I’ve also never been able to find an official BLM law or regulation regarding blinds on the land they manage but have had decent success calling the BLM office closest to the area I’m hunting asking for guidance. Several years ago Idaho BLM published a guideline for Idaho BLM land that I’ll see if I can find,

07-Apr-24

Tilzbow's Link
Here’s the document from Idaho BLM mentioned in my post above. It can probably be applied to other states and the information is consistent with what I’ve been told when calling BLM offices.

07-Apr-24
Good to know and thanks for sharing.

12-Apr-24
First check with your local BLM office! Here in Idaho, I use a popup ground blind for hunting elk. I'm old, so I'm resided to ground blind hunting no matter what I'm hunting. I am allowed to use my game cart to haul everything into and out of the field. Of course, this only works if other hunters don't blunder into the area and blow the game out.

• Sitka Gear