Knife2sharp 02-May-07
thedrake 02-May-07
Outdoor Writer 05-May-07
Outdoor Writer 05-May-07
Where's Bruce? 10-Aug-23
huntnmuleys 10-Aug-23
BTM 11-Aug-23
28-Mar-07
Just wondering what you experienced antelope hunters would consider the very best antelope decoy on the market right now.Im planning on trying one for my arizona archery hunt the last part of august and early sept.The unit I drew in has very limited tags.

What have you found to be the most effective way to use a decoy,to really put the odds in your favor.Like how close till you stand it up,use with or without a call? All set up tips appreciated.I also have a double bull blind That I can set up in.

29-Mar-07
helloooooooo, anybody out there.

I'd like the hear the answer to this one too.

29-Mar-07
casper, shot ya a PM.

29-Mar-07
i made my own out of thin plywood and covered with fur fabric from walmart and spray painted horns black. i used it to get within 60 yards of a nice buck in nv. I just couldnt close the deal. i think anything will work they are very inquisitive. good luck

30-Mar-07
We also had one made out of thin plywood. Just traced a 3-D deer decoy for the outline, and painted it up. Don't make the horns to big, you don't want to scare anybody off. Put a brace on the back side so you could stick it in the dirt by itself while you hide behind it and draw the bow. Also cut a hand hole in the middle/top of the body, 2 purposes, one to make it easier to carry, and two to peek through when you are stalking. It is easier with 2 guys, one handles the decoy and range finder, the other behind him with the bow. We've had them come in real cautious, and also come in at the dead run. Of course, nothing works all the time. Our last time in WY, we made about 40 - 50 stalks to get our 5 bucks.

01-Apr-07
Decoys are not very effective in late August or early September. I've had bucks stand back out of bow range and make scolding sounds at decoys during that time of year. Wait until the rut to use a decoy.

01-Apr-07
We were hunting the last week of Sept. in NE WY. It seems to me that is usually the peak rut in that area. Except last year, we couldn't get anything to come in. Seemed like the goats were herding up for winter already. It seemed like the rut was over, or winding down anyway.

02-Apr-07
Anybody that archery hunts Arizona has to hunt the last week of august and the 1st week of sept. That is the way it is in AZ take it or leave it.

So what im gathering is Its early for decoying and may be a waste of time?

03-Apr-07

LC's embedded Photo
LC's embedded Photo
What units did you guys draw?

I drew unit 10/18.

Buck decoys work BUT you have to pick your battles carfully. Don't just stand it up for every buck you find. You have to find the perfict rutting buck in the perfict situation. Look for it, but that might not ever happen. I watched and left this buck alone for a week before I had the oppertunity to close the distance in the dark before sunup. This was the only buck in the area that we could find that showed rutting activity and kept his heard tight.

Doe decoys on the other hand....

Lance

03-Apr-07
Mel Dutton decoy works nicely...I've also used homemade ones as mentioned above out of plywood. I would recomend the mel dutton...it folds nicely and is easily packable.

03-Apr-07
Has anyone ever used a 3D target, I know it would be very heavy.

03-Apr-07
If the bucks are rutting the decoy will work as long as you can get close enough to pose a threat. Personally I would find a buck and pattern him for the best chance at success.

03-Apr-07
Good idea on watch and wait until the right situation presents its self I drew Arizona 19B north archery.

03-Apr-07
The best decoy that time of year(here in nv. we bowhunt goats in late july early aug)is a plywood black angus cow.It works enough that I have one and when all else fails old bossy comes out.

03-Apr-07
We've beem seriously thinking about a cow also! The ranch we hunt has beef all over it. Sometimes the does will spook before the buck, but then of course he follows them. But the goats graze right with the cattle. Plus one guy going this year is really large, and he won't be able to hide behind an antelope decoy. Glad somebody else has tried it, my buddys looked at me like I was smoking dope when I mentioned it. Of course, I hope it doesn't attract an amorous bull.......

04-Apr-07
anybody ever made a decoy of a buck mounting a doe? I have thought about this and beleive this would work great. only drawback is it would be a little big to lug around.

05-Apr-07
Who makes a doe antelope decoy?

05-Apr-07
mista hog the angus decoy does work.Cut a shooting window,mine has a tight hinge on it at the level thats the right height for me I'm 6'2".It does allow more movement and comfort for larger guys.Of course antelope are'nt attracted to it but you can move up on them with it.I have had limited success with a mel dutton also but seems like just little guys.let out a realistic moo now and then and your friends will really think you've gone over to the dark side.(Darkside, angus decoy, this is really getting fun!!)

05-Apr-07
Last year, I noticed that the bucks would always come around and face the decoy. I was using a Flambeau 3D and it worked well. I have no idea how a buck will react to a flat decoy.

06-Apr-07
I think the old antelope decoy is a 3D Flambeau. That might not be the right Co.? I have not seen the antelope version on sell for a long time but they sell a doe deer that is 3D and looks like the same form but with diferent ears. It is a buck antelope if you can find one, but just take the horns off and and put some masking tape on the black patches and rub it with a little dirt to blend it in. Whalla!A doe! It is a 3D so it isn't for packing while hunting.

You can make your own doe decoy like said above with plywood.

Lance

06-Apr-07
I have found the Mel Dutton to work nicely and easy to use.

In all honestly though, I often just leave the decoy in the truck and just stalk instead. I have killed a lot of pronghorns by just using the "lay of the land" instead.

06-Apr-07
We have had a buck come into a plywood flat decoy, and make a big circle right a round it about 50 yards out. We already had it staked in the ground, so we couldn't pick it up and keep it in front of us. WE just hunched over and didn't move while he circled. Like most critters, they aren't exactly sure what it is, especially if it ain't moving. It looks like a little buck, but kind of goofy at the same time, I think is there reaction. I will definitely be trying a big hereford cow decoy next time in WY!!

02-May-07
I got my Cabelas archery 2007 catalog and Carry-Lite has a 3D antelope decoy for sale. I also heard Flambeau has a 3D one as well and someone saw it at the ATA show.

02-May-07
how well do doe decoys work? last fall we would get within 100 yards of the bucks with their does and the bucks would just move them off in the other direction as soon as they saw the decoy. the rut was in full swing and the bucks where running all over the place trying to keep the does together. i figure chop off the horns and make it look like one of his does got away.

05-May-07

Outdoor Writer's embedded Photo
I've had great success with a doe decoy. I've taken several on self-guided bowhunts using a decoy. Mine is home-made (plywood with a steel post and burlap between the legs). I use it in combination with a Lohman challenge call. I find the trick is to wait until you're 100 yards or less before raising the decoy - then be ready, the bucks can come blasting in. Here's a photo of my decoy. Took a great buck at 15 yards in September of '06.

05-May-07

Forgot to mention, my decoy has removable horns. They swivel on a screw. Used it as a buck to kill my buck last year, but it works well as a doe as well.

10-Aug-23
If ya see a guy wearing a speedgoat decoy hat in a white handpainted tee shirt carrying a bow in GMU 11M...don't shoot me.

10-Aug-23
I’ve had the best luck with the old Mel Dutton decoy, but those are hard to find.

11-Aug-23
I had a buck spot my decoy from a long way off and come all the way in to only 35 yards; I shot him. It was August 15. Conversely, I've had pronghorn get spooky at decoys, so you never know. No hard and fast rules when goat hunting.

• Sitka Gear