SERBIANSHARK 17-Dec-07
ironhunter 17-Dec-07
TurkeyHntnFool 17-Dec-07
Gator 18-Dec-07
Horn Donkey 18-Dec-07
tonyo6302 19-Dec-07
Horn Donkey 19-Dec-07
14-Dec-07
What's up with this legendary piece of deer hunting history?

14-Dec-07
aaahhh,the Zaft buck.The most beautiful archery kill in the World,IMO.

Got killed three times.Arrows,coyotes and panel scorers and ended up netting like 174.I think the entry submission was pulled out by the hunter after the reduced score was the final score,but I'm not 100% sure about that.

14-Dec-07
"Panel Scorers" ....Funny!!!! Wayne Zaft?? Yea, I think he got a bad hit on it, and lost it and a neighboring farmer found it chewed up by 'yotes and told him....something like that....Great animal!! Just after deductions/Typ. vs Non-typ, the score sucked.....Jeff

14-Dec-07

Genesis's Link
I think Alberta Records kept the original score at 206+

Here's the panel vs submitted scores

14-Dec-07
all i know his that on his website that he created after the kill he proclaimed himself "Wayne Zaft, a man on the move." I just wondered where he moved to?

14-Dec-07
Michigan. I hear he is sub-letting from some dude named Rompola.

14-Dec-07
That just shows ya how rediculous the whole deal is set up..i`m asuming they said it was abnormal(g3) because it wasn`t clearly growing out of the main beam?? man that`s a nice buck..still don`t see how the measurements can be so far off between scorers,,Guess that make my scoring ok on my bucks...he he he

14-Dec-07

Genesis's Link
more info

I would've preferred a better camera angle revealing the problem G3 before I was marketed too as a WR.I have never seen a public photo of the buck outside PY that didn't have a bad angle or velvet over the malaligned G3.It's very obvious and trumped the "common base" issue.The darn point started on the inside of the main beam and not the top......easy call.

That said,Mr. Zaft gets to look at the finest buck ever made everyday.

14-Dec-07
The only pic's I have seen were from North American Whitetail mag....Jeff

14-Dec-07
Man, Alberta really grows some hogs, I have never seen all the pics of this deer nor the P&Y score sheet, very cool.

14-Dec-07
Bou

I have held the horns in my hands. What were you thinking would happen? The Legend continues to grow. Wayne continues to be a fine young man and outstanding hunter. The only talk if from morons who find the time to yap about it.

"all i know his that on his website that he created after the kill he proclaimed himself "Wayne Zaft, a man on the move." I just wondered where he moved to?"

I would suggest that all you know is very little. Perhaps you should move onto some hunting and don't waste so much time yapping about something you know nothing about. IMHO.

14-Dec-07
If I ever kill a really big deer...I'm keeping it a secret.

14-Dec-07
Its about the money, I probably would have done the same thing hoping that I would get a break. There was a time when someone would get a big buck they would take several pictures of the buck all with the hunter wearing different camo so they could go to the different camo companies hoping to get sponsered.

14-Dec-07
tthomas -

that's why i asked.......to learn more. so here is what i have learned:

1) he is a fine young man

2) he is an outstanding hunter

3) he has not moved anywhere

4) he has an advocate in you

see, this site is a source of information for guys who don't know a lot about something.....which is why i asked what had happened. thanks for adding to my understanding of the situation.

14-Dec-07
yep and tthomas is a man to believe.

To me this just shows how really messed up P an y scoring system is.

14-Dec-07
personally , i always believed that the zaft buck is the greatest looking whitetail ever.

14-Dec-07
any pictures i would love to see the buck

14-Dec-07
For pictures of the Zaft Buck look at Genesis's supporting link, big buck indeed to bad it was surrounded by controversy

14-Dec-07
Brian Dobson / Artistic Taxidermy, Edmonton, Alberta, had a life-size mount with replica antlers in his shop for awhile. Brian has mounted most of the top-end whitetails in Alberta and Saskatchewan over the last 15 or so years.

My first visit while it was in the shop, Brian says to me "hey that's what a 172 net typical looks like..." Obv he was being slightly sarcastic.

One thing that this deer shows is that the B/C and P/Y definitely stand by their cookie-cutter approach to scoring and recognizing trophy whitetails.

15-Dec-07
To be honest... I think the Zaft buck would have been the new record had it been found by the hunter after a short blood trail. Instead you have the uncertainty of how it met it's demise. Was it wounded and then brought down by coyotes or did the deer finally die from the wound Zaft inflicted. From what I understand the deer was found about 3/4 - 1 mile from where it was shot.

I don't think the BC / PY want the new world record tainted with uncertainty...

That buck is awesome...

15-Dec-07
Isn't there some way to give this deer and guy more recognition.Not 'hero'stuff,just make both a little more known-sharing pics with others etc. A joke the way its been handled.Of course,understandably to me,he may not want this in which case so be it. Congrats again to him though.

15-Dec-07
"One thing that this deer shows is that the B/C and P/Y definitely stand by their cookie-cutter approach to scoring and recognizing trophy whitetails."

Would you rather they not have a "cookie cutter" approach and make exceptions or change their rules every time someone thinks a deer "looks like" a world record?

"To be honest... I think the Zaft buck would have been the new record had it been found by the hunter after a short blood trail."

The deer passed that scrutiny before it was even accepted into the record books. There were a couple dozen measurers who determined the fate of that buck... according to the rules set forth in scoring. I personally know 3 of them. Politics had nothing to do with that deer, once the P&Y records committee accepted the entry.

I've got a very good friend who killed a heck of a deer in 1993. It grosses 231" typical. Too bad it "only" nets 200 2/8 typical. Sure would have been cool for him to be the WR, but you can't gripe about the rules just to make some deer score higher because they look cool. If you did that, there will always be another deer around that beats it after you change the rules.

I've got a good close-up of the G2/G3 in question one the Zaft buck... at a not-so-flattering angle. I'll try to post it.

15-Dec-07

KC's embedded Photo
KC's embedded Photo

15-Dec-07
To me,the best shot is from the inside of the beam,the shot posted in the PY newsletter.The angle above shows how close to the G2 the G3 sits but the real quirk in the rack is how far inside on the main beam the point originates.

15-Dec-07
There isn't a soul that would pass that buck up for Mel Johnson's though.

15-Dec-07
Thank you KC!

15-Dec-07

KC's Link
"Hey KC - Do you have a photo of your buddy's 200-2/8 net? Sounds like a monster.

Follow the link above...

Do a search on the Brian Damery buck... taken in 1993 with a shotgun. Largest gross scoring typical of all time. That and 50 cents will get you a soda!!!

All kidding aside, it's a pretty amazing buck. This was back before digital cameras were popular. I have no digital pics. I don't think the NAW photos do it justice. Both main beams over 32". 28 1/2" inside spread. It's got a 231" gross typical 6x6 frame, plus another 22" between 5 abnormal points including split brows on each side. With very few deductions for asymmetry, the 6x6 frame netted 222 7/8". He even could have scored it as a 245" non-typical, but chose the net 200" typical score, since it was 7th in B&C at that time.

I'll see if I can take a few pics next time I'm at his house. He's still got 2 replicas.

15-Dec-07
He sold the original to Bass Pro Shops, and it's in their museum in Springfield, MO. He didn't get rich by any means, but got a small downpayment on a house.

The G2/G3 were scored as common base, which meant that they were both normal points. There is a definite "figure 8" where they connect to the beam, and they are not side by side, like Zaft's. Every measurer who has seen it, scored them both as normal points. And it was B&C panel measured as well.

What's funny is... Brian had one shed from the previous year. The landowner's dog had drug it up in the yard, and the landowner let Brian borrow it. Little did we know at the time that someone had the sheds from the previous year... matching set. Those sheds would later be sold to Larry Huffman, I believe. Anyway, we scored the shed (not giving it anywhere near 28" inside spread) around 180 NT the year before. I say NT, because those two points looked much different the year before. They were definitely forked tines, and the fork was several inches up the G2. This buck not only put on about 50-60 inches of antler the next year, that fork slipped down to form a normal tine and he added some unreal G5's!!!!

15-Dec-07
"whatever happened to the Zaft Buck?" I guess he got the "Zaft" and went away. :) I'll agree... that buck is right up there with the breen buck and the jordan buck. Just awesome!

15-Dec-07
KC, i remember that buck now, it was featured on Realtrees VHS series as a monsterbuck profile that year. They had him reinact his hunt on Monster bucks 4 or 5 can't remember which.

15-Dec-07
"I don't think the BC / PY want the new world record tainted with uncertainty... "

if they looked a little closer....how does a truck chasing a deer half to death, and 15 bullets later sound....ethical?

b&c and p&y can take a flying leap.

serb

15-Dec-07
i thought the miss doe pee buck was the highest gross scoring whitetail of all time?

15-Dec-07
That is one incredible buck. KC! thanks for sharing!8^)

15-Dec-07
"I don't think the BC / PY want the new world record tainted with uncertainty... "

No,they don't want an obvious tine growing from inside the beam scored as a normal point.

"i thought the miss doe pee buck was the highest gross scoring whitetail of all time?"

Sam Collora's buck is for archery take.

16-Dec-07
KC.. thanks for sharing that photo.. that isn't as apparent in the pictures i've seen.

16-Dec-07
I met Wayne shortly after he had taken his buck at a Sportsman show.He impressed me as a fine young man.Sincere and humble.I would welcomr the opportunity to hunt with him any time.

16-Dec-07
"KC, i remember that buck now, it was featured on Realtrees VHS series as a monsterbuck profile that year. They had him reinact his hunt on Monster bucks 4 or 5 can't remember which."

Yep, it was actually II or III. I've got it around somewhere. I was with them when they filmed the interview here in IL. Sat down and had supper with Bill Jordan and David Blanton at his father-in-law's house that night.

It was also featured on a NAW TV show last year in a big buck profile. Stan was hunting with Gordon Whittington that year in central IL, and Stan was one of the first guys "in the business" who came and looked at it that weekend. We'd known Stan for quite a few years, serving on a committee of our local WTU together. He was on the phone with guys around the US within minutes of seeing it. The deer wasn't even skinned or caped, and he had offers of $25K sight unseen. You think Stan gets excited on TV... you should have seen him looking at Brian's buck!!!!

16-Dec-07
KC.... I wished you would've had a tape recorder on ya when OL Stan set eyes on that rack. I am going to view those tapes 2nite after the kids and wife go to bed.

16-Dec-07
I am disappointing (but not surprised) that scoring is implied to have a bearing on that buck's status as a world class trophy.

16-Dec-07
I remember when the Zaft buck story first broke, and reading Zaft's personal account of the "kill". And shortly thereafter he had somebody (NAW?) edit and rewrite, and the story changes a bit. And then his self-serving website comes out a tad too premature IMO. And then all the whining starts after it is panel scored differently than it was initially. And I seem to remember that Alberta kept the original score and blew off the panel score.

Given all the inconsistencies, premature chest pounding and snobbery I don't think Zaft(or Alberta) got anything he(they) didn't deserve. I didn't recall a whole lot of humbleness early on.

The buck is a great buck, but it got marketed way too soon.

16-Dec-07
That is a great buck, an impressive set of antlers, a world class animal to be sure. Too bad it was shot and lost, then found a couple days later, on a totally different farm, after being eaten by "yotes.. It may have lost some inches by P&Y scoring, but what really killed it, the hunter, or did he just slow it down enough for the coyotes to finish it?

I don't want to be a muckraker, but from what I read about the deer, was that 3 days after the shot, a farmer asked Wayne if he shot at a buck. He said he did, and then the farmer brought him to the deer.

I may be totally out of line, but after 3 days, and coyotes eating a bunch of it,, just try proving you are the one who killed it. Then, even if you could, would you even want to, knowing that you wasted such a magnificent animal?

JMHO, Jay

17-Dec-07
This was a classic example in this day and age - if you do something extrodinary. Find someone who is famous/has been famous and is respected. Get the number to their PR person.

Ask a few questions and make your decisions.

Zaft shot himself in the foot with the website. I am sure he is a nice guy but if you saw that site it made him look like a punk.

Mother Theresa would have been ridiculed for that slogan, "A man on the move..." Gosh that is bad.

17-Dec-07
Wish him luck and congratulation on a fine buck where ever he is.

17-Dec-07

SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo
SERBIANSHARK's embedded Photo

17-Dec-07
A magnificent animal! certainly one of the top dozen or so typicals at this time. The story in North American Whitetail magazine was written by Zaft himself(some editing was done by NAW editors)and the photos were provided by Zaft himself. Why were there no photos of the right side of the rack showing the common base point? Was this on purpose to hide the issue? I don`t know

I think Mr Zaft would have been viewed more positively by a lot of people if the common base point issue would have been common knowledge and shown right up front verses being hidden until it couldn`t be hidden any more and then P@Y panel scorers have to call it like it is and are made to look like the bad ones for it.

17-Dec-07
the whole common base point thing happend to the curt van lith buck

18-Dec-07
So you killed a world class buck! Congratulations on your good fortune but I suggest you don't let the folks on Bowsite know about it.

Pitiful!!!

18-Dec-07

Horn Donkey's embedded Photo
Horn Donkey's embedded Photo
Funny....As I'm reading this I get an email about a monster killed in Wisconsin....

Just for kicks. Enjoy

19-Dec-07

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo
SCI scored the Zaft buck at 220 @ 3/8. Attached is the photo posted on their website.

. . . ditto on what Matt said!

19-Dec-07
Zbone--Definitely not world class, i know. Still its not a small buck. Just thought it was ironic to get the pic in my email from a friend who shot it while reading this thread.

• Sitka Gear