cityhunter 25-Jul-16
nvgoat 27-Jul-16
elkstabber 28-Jul-16
Woods Walker 28-Jul-16
JamesV 29-Jul-16
Mad_Angler 01-Aug-16
tadpole 01-Aug-16
16-Jul-08
I have a 3d target that has been around the block more then Britney Spears. To say the least, it is in pretty poor shape. What is a cheap way to repair the vitals. I see that Cabelas has a kit for 40 bucks. Does this work? Has anyone tried expanding foam from the local hardware store?

I don't really want to spend much money on it.

Thanks

16-Jul-08
Expandable foam works well and is cheap. If you want the color to match, you'll have to paint it.

16-Jul-08
Wrap the body in a dozen or so wraps of Saran wrap and maybe a wrap or two of duct tape over the middle of the worn out area, and then go to town with the expandable foam.

Expandable foam from the hardware store can get out of hand fairly easily, and it is gooey, so be sure not to get any on your clothes because it will be there to stay [personal experience]. ;-)

The hardware store foam is a bit different from the commercial repair kits, so it likely won't last as long.

16-Jul-08
Expandable foam works good, but agree is not a durable. But what the hey, it's $5 a can. They have a couple different kinds - don't get the "less mess easy clean up" stuff. It dries very soft and falls apart. The the sticky waterproof insulation..

16-Jul-08
Gorilla glue works pretty well, and it expands a few minutes after application. It's denser than the spray foam stuff, especially if you mix in chunks of the broken 3D with the GG..

17-Jul-08
I just used a repair kit I got from Longhorn 3D Archery. It was the club kit at $125. I did 4 targets with it. The biggest was my elk. It was shot all the way through and 12" dia. It used alot of foam. It takes an arrow well and was quick doing the job. Definately cheaper then buying the replacement mid section. I just need to paint them up now.

17-Jul-08
Nebraska,

I have repaired 100+ McKenzie targets using the expanding foam. That foam, which comes in a bright red and yellow can-don't remember the specific brand name-is not as dense, not as tough as the original foam. But, you can squeeze at least an addition year's use out of a target, maybe more, depending on the amount of use.

This is what I do. First, take some measurements in regard to the scoring rings. Diameter. Relation to the front quarter. Shoot the cavity with foam. No need to completely fill the hole, because the foam expands to 2 to 3 times the original size. Also, fill up the dozens, hundreds, of single holes on the rest of the body. Use a putty knife to scrape the foam over these individual holes. Wait 1 to 2 days to completely dry. Depends on temp. Trim excess with a big kitchen knife. Then, sand with an orbital sander using very coarse pad, maybe 40 or 60 grit. Very important here to sand smooth. You can even sculpt the foam using the sander. I make sure that front shoulder area is well defined. Next, I cut in the scoring rings. Use a small propane torch, heat the end of a screwdriver or old kitchen knife till the end is red hot, then start etching in the rings. You can go only a few inches before the screwdriver end cools, so you will have to heat and reheat that screwdriver end several times. Finally, repaint. Depending on size of target, might take 1 to 1/2 can of spray paint for an average deer size target.

Total investment? Maybe $7 in materials, and an hour or two of labor. I have done so many of them, I can crank 'em out assembly line fashion real quick.

I have maintained our local range here in Colorado for 25 years, and I have repaired 100-125 of these targets over the years. When I am finished with a target, it looks as good, sometimes better, that the original. Our club usually gets one good year's use out of a repaired target. If you are using that repaired target for your own personal use, that target will prob last several more years.

Or, you can do what we are now doing. Getting rid of the McKenzies, and slowly switching over to Rhineheart.

24-Jul-16
Is this still the recommended way to repair targets?

Are the specialty kits worth the money?

25-Jul-16
My target is an old shot through McKenzie if it makes a difference...

25-Jul-16
When you say that the foam doesn't last long, what does that mean?

Will I blow the new core out after a few weeks? or will it last a season or two?

25-Jul-16
Magic Fix

25-Jul-16
The magic fix kits do a good job. Ive had the best luck using both magic fix and a 5lb foam target (something you get at like walmart) cut into say 8x8" pieces. Cut out the section of target that needs to be replaced. Cut and stack the target foam in the hole. This foam tends to self heal better than the magic fix and last longer. Then poor the magic fix over top and fill in the voids. Paint to match. Overall you will have a virtual new target that last a long time again. Fairly cheap.

25-Jul-16
they sell real repair kits !!! the spray stuff in a can will not stop most bows

27-Jul-16
IMO, the repair kits are as good as new and obviously more expensive than the spray foam.

I do use the spray foam but get the blue can for windows and doors. It is more flexible and stops arrow better than the black can.

28-Jul-16
I've used both the expanding repair kit from Cabela's and the cheap hardware store stuff ("Great Stuff" that says it remains flexible). Honestly, you get what you pay for. Both will get the job done but the repair kit is definitely better. The "Great Stuff" foam will break down over maybe a year or two. It will also eventually get water in it which freezes and then weakens. The repair kit material will "heal" after every shot and is probably better than the original foam. The repair kit will stop arrows better, which could save you money by not losing arrows.

I repair using both materials. I use the expensive stuff on targets that I shoot more and the cheap stuff on targets that I don't shoot much.

28-Jul-16
When you use the foam you must also wrap the area in plastic (I use stuff they sell on rolls which is used to wrap shipping pallets with) so that the foam is contained so you can really get it dense. In fact, it should be so dense that it has to take a couple of days for it to completely dry. You'll know when it's fully dry by shooting an arrow into it!

I usually shoot judos outside at leaves, weed heads, etc. and only start shooting at my 3D deer as the season get's close and I get a year or so out of a target repaired in this fashion. I'm also shooting a recurve so that may not be the same wear and tear that a higher speed compound will do. But then on the other hand I shoot arrows that are like telephone poles with the corresponding ft/lbs compared to most arrows shot from compounds.

If you want to beef the repair up even more, get some VERY thin flexible plastic tubing and insert it into the part of the target that's still intact while having the rest be where the repair foam will be to reinforce it.

But the thing that wrecks my 3D target more than anything are the darn BUCKS when they go rut crazy and they attack my target and it winds up on the ground with the legs broken! I've had to fix my target TWICE using concrete reinforcing rod stuck into the ground and halfway up the legs. It works but you've gotta be REAL sure that you don't miss and hit the leg!

29-Jul-16
If the target is not completely shot to pieces you can use liquid nails glue to repair it. Pump each hole full until it comes out the other holes and let it dry. grind off the excess and paint the target. it will last for several years.

01-Aug-16
I'm disappointed. I bought the magic fix. I actually bought the club kit figuring that I could repair all my targets for years.

I fixed my target 4 days ago. I don't think I mixed the two components perfectly. Now, my target is mostly cured. But it also has a lot of sticky liquid left in the foam. I don't want my arrows all sticky. I asked Magic fix for suggestions and they haven't answered me.

Also, I was hoping for a solid repair like Rinehart targets. Instead, it is still foam. It has a lot of air bubbles just like magic foam from Menards.

I'm thinking I may need to cut out the sticky parts and rerepair that...

01-Aug-16
Ok, here is el cheapo fix it solution.

First get the foam in a can. Don't think it will matter what kind.

second go to your favorite, well patronized, taxidermist and ask him really nice for some scrap pieces of foam he cuts from altering forms. (lots of us save ANYTHING like that so we can recycle them, as foam is so expensive.

As you fill in the voids with the spray foam, jam the scrap pieces into the larger holes, more foam, more pieces of scrap...you get the idea.

If you are real lucky, that taxidermist will have some pieces of cork bark (natural bark from the cork tree). This stuff really stops an arrow. Just don't put too many layers of it cause it really grabs an arrow and you will be cursing me.

ok, just send me a tip cause I JUST SAVED YOU THE $125 REPAIR KIT CHARGE.

• Sitka Gear