GreenMtn 30-Aug-08
cotrapper 30-Aug-08
cotrapper 30-Aug-08
thetthomas@home 31-Aug-08
cotrapper 31-Aug-08
Jimbo 31-Aug-08
Mark Hockenberry 06-Sep-08
18-Aug-08
Good luck, Jake. Like they say, if the horseshoe fits...

18-Aug-08
Jake, you already make us human bowhunters proud! Now go make history!

18-Aug-08
HEY PAT! Watch using that "g-word".....bad luck, ya' know like a pitcher with a no-hitter going after the 7th inning? All the guys in the dugout know to stay the hell away from him and keep their mouth shut ;-)

He should be ok though....I think the man makes his own luck.

18-Aug-08
This is one of the best hunting stories I've ever heard of and we get to hear it day by day with the hunter. Thanks a ton Jake and Pat, you guys are the best!

Nick

18-Aug-08
Man, everytime I get back from a few days of flyfishing Jakeman is on another flippin sheep hunt! Good to hear that you went for the Stone Jake, I think you would of been wondering "what if" if you hadn't. Obviously Jake has the funds to do all of these hunts, but what amazes me most is how mental it is to hunt sheep, let alone 3 in the last month. No hunt is as mentally tough as a bowhunt for sheep, not to mention physically brutal. But when you get home they were the best hunts ever. You must be mentally tough Jake, as well as physically in shape to handle the terrain. Now go and let the air out of a salt/pepper stud... and remember that any legal ram with a bow is a huge accomplishment!

18-Aug-08
Chuck did his Sheep Slam in one year.

I enjoy watching stuff like this Stone hunt as I know that I'll never be able to afford going on one. Best of luck Jake.

I bet Jake's taxidermist has a big grin this year.

18-Aug-08
Good luck Jake! I look forward to hearing about your hunts each and every day. I'll be calling my wife from Antelope camp every night for an update. Be safe!

19-Aug-08
Jake

I will never as a "public employee" go on one sheep hunt, let alone all four in one year, go for it and kick a@@.

19-Aug-08
Shoot straight buddy!

michael

19-Aug-08
WOW....CONGRATS JAKE.....Good Job! Post some pics!

19-Aug-08
I got nothing, did he do it?

19-Aug-08
Mathews Man,

I know that several people have taken a slam with a rifle in the span of a year but was unaware that someone had done it with a bow. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

19-Aug-08
Ike,

No, not yet at least. He said there was a "huge" low-pressure system moving in and it lookes like bad weather for at least 5 days.

Michael

19-Aug-08
Go Jake! May all the hunting gods be with you as you release that arrow. You are living a dream most hunters wish they can do. You are living my dream! John

19-Aug-08
Seriously,

Jake is going to have to make room for me soon. I told Miranda that "Jake" was going Stone Sheep hunting and I had to get home so I could listen to the podcast-

well, let's just say that Miranda doesn't love Jake like we do! lol She don't understand-

michael

19-Aug-08
I just checked the weather for Dease lake, B.C. .

It looks like rain the next few days, but nothing major. Temps in the 40 and 50s.

I hope it is not to foggy, so they can see those critters, and get some stalks.

19-Aug-08
I just checked the weather for Dease lake, B.C. .

It looks like rain the next few days, but nothing major. Temps in the 40 and 50s.

I hope it is not to foggy, so they can see those critters, and get some stalks.

19-Aug-08
Sorry about the double post. Listen to the audio on the home section. Darn!

19-Aug-08
Please post what he says here no speakers on puter at work where I check.

Good luck jake, wow, awesome, I bet he scores. 2nd ever bow 1 year slam right? Unreal.

Also Jake THANKS sheep hunting takes alot and at the end of the day to take time out to keep up posted since we are rooting for you is NICE.

I know I am going to share my trip with everyone here too - I feel it is the least I can do for all the help, support, etc and I know I loved in the past when guys drew and shared the trip. Helped me get throught the tagless years.

THANKS JAKE AND GOOD LUCK. You hard work will pay off.

19-Aug-08
Ok, he missed a 40 yd shot at a bedded ram. He said no excuses, just a clean miss.

19-Aug-08
He must have left the golden artifact in the tent that day. Put it in your pack Jake!!!(or your Guide's). You are living a dream Jake. Keep after 'em!

19-Aug-08
I think the Michael Phelps of sheep hunting is going to get it done today! Good luck Jake!

19-Aug-08
Brot

Now you have to be talking about two slams in two years to get the eight. :) I agree, Jako is closing in on that ram. There are tons of sheep where he is so its just a matter of time for him to finish it.

19-Aug-08
So I don't mean to be nosy but how in the world does Jake afford to go on these incredible hunts. I read earlier from primitive that "obviously Jake has the funds to go on these hunts". So how does he do it? I guess maybe he has an understanding banker. What ever he does I want to thank him and Bowsite for posting his daily reports as this allows me to live my sheep hunting dreams through him. I got "sheep fever" on my own Bighorn sheep hunt last year in Colorado that ended tradgically with a miss on a beautiful full curl monarch. Ever since then I can't stop thinking about it and sheep hunting.

19-Aug-08
From what i understand Jake is independently wealthy from Patenting, marketing and selling golden horseshoe's to the hunting public. They come complete with removal strings and a buffing rag to remove residue.

19-Aug-08
Melts down golden horseshoes in the body cavity and farts out gold coins.

19-Aug-08
Keep after em Jake!!!

19-Aug-08
I can't get the audio feed what do I need?

19-Aug-08
Jake was a pharmacist and owned a pharmacy with another partner. They recently sold it. Hence his handle medicineman.

19-Aug-08
I'm surprised thatJake missed that ram at 40 yards. He is a crack shot and is deadly out to60 yards. He mussed have got snake bit.Its just going to take him a little long. Best of luck Jakester.

19-Aug-08
Cassman

You are right, not like Jake to miss. Perhaps the pressure of completing the slam and doing it so quickly. Have heard that it gets tougher. He will get it done because there are just so many sheep where he is and he had the ability to climb and do multiple stalks. That will ease the pressure because if he hunted several days before seeing his first ram and then another few days before getting a stalk and a shot it would be different. Forty yards should have been a slam dunk for him. Maybe wind, weather or other conditions. Hope it wasn't gear malfunction. I don't think there are many snakes where he is hunting.

19-Aug-08
Mathews man

I don't think Chuck did it in one year, I think his first was a dall on 7/85 and has last was the desert on 10/86.

Impressive either way. GO JAKE GO!!

19-Aug-08
hntnfool

We talking about all four titles in one year or holding all four titles at once, hence the Tiger Slam of golf.

Jake can do it all in one calendar year. Others have done it in a "season" .........summer for the dall and stone then bighorn in the fall and desert early Jan Feb the following year.

Jake will have it done in nine months or so (Jan - August) . Others in less (August - Feb)

19-Aug-08
He's independently wealthy! I think he started a Hunting Web Site or something (lol).Actually .... He sold DRUGS!....and now he hunts!

Everyone misses at some time of Bow Hunting! That's why we bow hunt....to miss at times I think! Great Memories in MISSING! I have a lot of Great Memories!...((*;

I'm glad for Jake! Something I couldn't do physically! This guy is physically fit! That's what it takes too besides money and equipment and time! You have to be a athelete first and foremost!

Go Get'em Jake! -}}}}}}}}}--------------->

19-Aug-08
I wasn't thinking of the "Tiger slam" Sorry :)

19-Aug-08
"Ike,

No, not yet at least. He said there was a "huge" low-pressure system moving in and it lookes like bad weather for at least 5 days.

Michael"

Thanks amigo!

19-Aug-08
Hntnfool

OOpps, my bad man, should have said "Tiger Sheep Slam" YKWIS hard to beleive Jake would be harvesting four sheep in a year especially considering his aversion to things that mow (eat) his lawn while he sleeps or is away.

19-Aug-08
Jake-

Sorry to hear about the miss. Time to move on and think about the future, don't dwell on the past!

michael

20-Aug-08
It's the 20th Jake!....What happened today??.

20-Aug-08
Ned: Please keep the gold coin thing confidential. He has got a good patent attorney, but I am not sure that he is that good. Took him quite a while to perfect the discharge.

20-Aug-08
TThomas When I shot my stone ram The guide made me wait until the ram stood up. I told that to Jake last Thursday When we had breakfast.I agree with you that he will be sucessful.

20-Aug-08
Sorry Tom.

20-Aug-08
Thanks for the update Pat! I think I have checked for a new message 6 or 7 times today. I am sure I am not alone in doing that.

20-Aug-08
tic..........toc.........tic....toc..............

I hate this waiting! no news is_________!

20-Aug-08
My guess is the weather is creating some problems. Hope they're safe and well. Man, that is some country...

Then again last time there was a gap it was because they had a sheep down.

See ya in 15 min....

20-Aug-08
Jake is a very close friend so I check this site several times a day.

20-Aug-08

DJ@work's embedded Photo
DJ@work's embedded Photo
He was certainly correct about the front moving in.

21-Aug-08
So what does Jake do for a living?

21-Aug-08
Hunts!

21-Aug-08
lives

21-Aug-08
Jake was actualy a face double for Ron Jeremy for a couple years towards the end of his career.

He is gonna get a beatdown for a living if he doesn't give me my live-hunt fix soon!

Jake,

where art thou? Have you redeemed yourself brother?

Michael

21-Aug-08
"So what does Jake do for a living? "

He refurbishes horseshoes......

His deoxidizing technique provides great iron supplementation for a full year.....

Anemia has a new enemy......:)

21-Aug-08
Thats the life! Gotta admire a man like him. Wish I was in his shoes!

21-Aug-08
Jake sold his pharmacy business and is now retired.

21-Aug-08
Jake's tears cure cancer.....Too bad he never cries.

21-Aug-08
I see where there is a new update. Watch out for those Grizzlies!!! Hope you get it done before Saturday because I am leaving for two weeks and won't know until I get back. That will kill me. Ned

21-Aug-08
who is jake hunting with up there fellas.

21-Aug-08
He's hunting with Creyke's, Troy and another guide.

21-Aug-08
the update is out CHECK IT OUT!

22-Aug-08
no speakers, what happened?

22-Aug-08
Sounds like he found a few but the rams didn't play into the ambush. Stalked a bit later but could not get closer than 150 yards. Good news is the rams were undisturbed.

22-Aug-08
They have left those two shooters undisturbed on the mountain. That shows his tremendous skill and confidence and patience. That means two full curl rams or two over eight years that do not know they are being hunted. One that is close so if they get on them again, which they should happen then his odds are very very good. I just hope that that one that is close does not screw him up if he gets in very close. Better if two are huge and the other three small, but ....... Jakes confidence has to be high as they have been into sheep and without too much difficulty. Also given his tremendous success on his other hunts he will draw on this for sure. You can hear it in his voice. My guess its over today or tomorrow. Ned, I think you will have your answer buddy before you leave.

22-Aug-08
no new update....it's killin me. Bet this time It's because it's Ram Down. looking forward to the next update.

22-Aug-08
Keep after them Jake it will happen. Thanks for the updates.

He has posted for the 22nd now.

22-Aug-08
No easy sheep this time. Great perseverance. it'll pay off in the long run!

23-Aug-08
Jake's got one more week to get his ram before his next hunt starts.

23-Aug-08
another miss at a long shot. At least he missed completely. Man this is painful waiting for the success photos. Keep at em Jake.

23-Aug-08
the guy just plain knows how to have a good time. this is really fun tracking this thing.

25-Aug-08
He is finding the sheep. Unfortunate that it is the same one day after day. Maybe today is the day.

25-Aug-08
That boy ain't scared to fling an arrow!

25-Aug-08
I'm a firm believer that we need to police from within. I was enjoying this journey for a while but clearly the pressure is forcing bad decisons and I can't listen anymore. I am sorry for that. I hope Mr. Ensign gets his sheep but in an honorable way that makes him proud.

25-Aug-08
.......john 80 yards did sound crazy, but he said he retunred to camp and put 3 within a "golf ball" at that range. Is tat not honorable? It wouldn't be for me because I could not even see a golf ball sized target at 80 yards, but it sounds as if Jake has a reasonable expectation to be able to convert such an opportunity.

25-Aug-08
I'll second what Bou said, I have been following as well and I know how hard Jake practiced and trained for this. he is top notched. he knows his equipment and abillities.

25-Aug-08
Many archers are comfortable at long distances !! Many are very good at them as well. And as long as they can stay within their ability then more power to them!! GO GET EM JAKE !!

25-Aug-08
Lets not judge someone,while sitting at our computer.Jake has been living in a tent for the better part of the month.Or more? Just his honesty makes him a class act!

25-Aug-08
Thanks Pat. I have hunted with Jake and he is capable of making those shots. I would be surprised if many people rading this site shoots as much as he does in preparation for a hunt. He would not take a shot that he did not have confidence in. Enjoy this hunt, you are viewing bowhunting history in the making.

25-Aug-08
Tom in PA. After seeing Jake in action the you know he is a top hand. Few people are capable of golf ball sized groupings at twenty yards let alone at 80 and on a 45 - 50% slope. So in his opinion that shot opportunity was right and he felt good about it. He has tons of time and is into a bunch of rams. You can tell he might have been a little pressured by pushing a stalk with bad wind. Might have been bad judgement or bad luck with tricky wind. With all his experience and knowledge and recent sucess it was his call.

Easy to second guess. They pretty much have half the hunt to go at least and with the knowledge they are accumulating they are closer each day. Do not think that Jake is slowing down one bit so stamina is not an issue.

As he said, everyone is in good spirits and they will stay at. Cassman knows Jake better than anyone and am sure that he can attest to Jakes skills and training and preparation.

Am sure he will get some more stalks and shot opportunities. As someone said, its just a matter of time. Sometimes you spook sheep and the leave the country. For whatever reason these guys are sticking around. Sooner or later they will make a mistake and give Jake a shot opportunity. Maybe he needs to paint a golf ball behind the front shoulder :) If anyone hears from Jake, wish him luck for me.

25-Aug-08
I dont think Randy Ulmer can even shoot three arrows at 80 yards on a 50% slope uphill.

25-Aug-08
Hey Tom - By the way Congrats on a great ram. What does Cam charge for his guiding services? I need a stone. We just got into our house. I have plenty of room to take your full mount stone. You can come visit it any time.

25-Aug-08
I agree with Pat,

If you wanna complain about what is in your mind a longer shot, do it elsewhere please. We are fortunate enough that Jake has been allowing some of us to "tag along" on these live hunts and you can bet in the next couple years he will have some more great hunts to share with us. but will he want to share if you guys are berating him?

You sure wouldn't think you'd have to list a live hunt as debate-free, but times are a changing fellas-

Jake,

If you could read this while you are still up there you aren't heading to my advice of shooting straight brother!

You need to get-r-done cause I am not sure if the little lady is going to let me listen in too much more! She has taken a bit of a back-seat to Bowsite and hunting preperation lately, and I am sure she is having about enough! lol

Keep after them!~

and shoot straight...er lol

michael

25-Aug-08
hang in there jake. eventually a sheep and arrow will intersect in time and space. we are pulling for you. three close misses on shots just means you're due for a connection on number 4.

25-Aug-08
If you guys want to argue ethics and shot distances, look in the history books at the length of shots the man Fred Bear has taken, and some at moving animals. If the person behind the bow can sleep with his choices he makes, thats all that matters. Go Get'em Jake!!

25-Aug-08
SHUT UP!!!! Back to the hunt......

25-Aug-08
Hehehe...

One thing about Jake, he don't candy coat anything and tells it like it is/was. Gotta love it!

Coming soon. Some very lucky sheep walking around up there. Something tells me the sheep's luck is about to run head on into Jake's luck. They'll think they got hit by a truck.

26-Aug-08
Say it ain't so Jake.......tomorrow's the last day?!!

Dang. That horseshoe better do something soon. Good luck!

26-Aug-08
Good luck Jake! I just hate to see this thing end. I guess like they say 'all good things must come to an end'. I just hope it ends with some horns on Jake's back.

26-Aug-08
Cassman/Pat

If someone can get a message to Jake, let him know his angle rangefinder might be off. That is why he is missing. Am guessing if he shot at 70 while the ram was at 80 yards then unless the slope was only 20 degrees then he would be high for sure. He would have been getting a bad reading.

He said he went back to camp and shot two golf ball sized groupings on a 45 - 50 degree slope. That is why I am guessing he practiced at that angle because it was similiar to his miss.

Elmer, he still has lots of days, I think and am sure he will stay at it and extend the hunt if not.

A buddy of mine said its snowing in Whitehorse and he can not get out to the hunting area. Lets hope Jake's weather holds up. Am sure he will get more chances and get it finished.

26-Aug-08
As I recall, he's scheduled to leave (presumably home) this Saturday for his caribou hunt.

26-Aug-08
on the audio jake said tomorrow is the last day of his hunt.

26-Aug-08
And tomorrow is today, Tuesday. He packs out Wednesday and flies home Thursday.

26-Aug-08
At 80 yards the slope would need to be 27 degrees for the corrected value to be 70...by Mississippi math anyway....

On a 48 degree slope if the ram was 80 it should be corrected for around 53 per my math as well.

Hang tough Jake......

26-Aug-08
Jakester Give that horse shoe a couple extra rubs today before you head out of camp. BEST OF LUCK TODAY. I hope the sheep Gods cut you a break today. Thanks For letting us all share this with you.

Now go get em

Mike

26-Aug-08
Give hell Jake!!! Good luck!!!

26-Aug-08
Dang, Steve...y'all gotta tilt your hands and feet at those angles to tally all of that up?

Impressive...'course you could be way off and I'd never know the difference. What's a guy from Kansas know about shooting down steep mountains?

27-Aug-08
I just received a message on my answering machine from Jake. HE SAID THAT HE GOT HIS RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said that he tried to contact Bowsite, but that he was unable to do so. This is all I know becuase he left the message on my answering machine. I am sure that he will be checking in as soon as he can. He said that I could post this message.

Congrats OLD MAN. I never once doubted the power of the shoe. Now all we need to do is figure out a way to reproduce its power for mere mortals like myself.

27-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake!!!!!!!!!!!!

One heck of a feat to complete and especially in such a short period of time! My hat is off to you!

27-Aug-08
You Rock Jake!!

Thanks for the heads-up Tom.

Good luck, Robb

27-Aug-08
Congrats!

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake, congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

27-Aug-08
Great job!

27-Aug-08
Can't wait to see the pics. Fantastic!

27-Aug-08
Great job Jake! I woke up about 3:00 this morning to check if he had called in after I went to bed. My wife asked me what I was doing on the computer that time of night. When I told her she was not impressed. What a great end to a great hunt, congrats Jake on a huge accomplishment!

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake! Thanks for taking us along on an amazing bowhunting accomplishment!

27-Aug-08
Woooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww! Achievement of 10,000 lifetimes!

27-Aug-08
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!

27-Aug-08
Jake, Congrats, what a great accomplishment. Rock

27-Aug-08
Nice Job Jake. Man, that would have been one expensive camping trip had you not killed a sheep.

27-Aug-08
Awsome! Jake congratulations! Jake your the GRAND SLAM SHEEP MAN Hope to see some pictures. Jim

27-Aug-08
Way to go! Looking forward to the pictures! John

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake. I knew you would get it done. Have a safe trip home & good luck next week.

27-Aug-08
Unbeleivable!!! I can't believe how much I got drawn into this. Congrats to you Jake!! Good lesson to us all on persistance and hunting hard until it's over!!

27-Aug-08
Great job as always Jake, thanks for sharing! In the words of Senator Joseph Biden, "that's storybook man!" What a story!

michael

27-Aug-08
Just heard the audio. Sounds like the old man is tired. Give me a call when you get back in. The beer is on me.

27-Aug-08
Wow, history has been made. Congratulations and I hope you were able to savor the moment when the Stone ram fell.

Can't wait to see your pictures . . . Rob

27-Aug-08
Great deal Jake last day sounds like the Fat Lady was huffing and puffing to catch up. I heard Jimmy Ryan shot two Super Slams in two years.

27-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake.

27-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake!!! Listening to the audio I got chills when he said the Fat Lady was not singing. Hell of a hunt!!!! Hell of a year so far!

27-Aug-08
How cool is that!!!!..... This has been one heck of a ride Jake has taken us on and even though we haven't met I feel like I know him having shared his hunts via bowsite...... Congrats Jake and thanks for taking the time to share history in the making with all of us..... Terry

27-Aug-08
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME,

Congratulations!!!!!!

27-Aug-08
What an incredible and fitting end to a helluva accomplishment!!! Waaaaay to go Jake!!!! Rest up and then get is us some pictures. All of us addicts are out here jones'n for more!!! Give us another fix Jake, come on just one more! So let me be the 1st here to ask the obvious question. Where is the golden horse shoe going next? You know we want to go along so please keep us advised.

27-Aug-08
wow! Last minute magic. Gotta love it! Way to go Jake. Quite the perseverance paying off. Can't wait to see the photos. That horseshoe has been good to you.

27-Aug-08
WOW, what a story, congrats on your stone sheep and grand slam.

27-Aug-08
Congratulations JAKE!!

27-Aug-08
VERY VERY SWEET !!! That is so awsome Thanks for letting us all in on what most of us will never be able to experience I truly loved it and got the chills while listening Thank you sooooo much !! WAY TO GO !!!!!

27-Aug-08
Excellent work my friend. Congrats!

27-Aug-08
I think that it would only be fitting if Jake changed his handle from medicineman to horse shoe. What do you guys think?????

27-Aug-08
WOW THATS SOOOO WICKED JAKE!!!!!!! AWESOME CONGRATS!!!!! I'm so happy for you, i can't wait for your pics. Thanks again for taking us along for the ride. Most of us will never get to do a hunt like this, thats why it is so special when all you guys post your stories & pics. I admire you and guys like Tom foss, I have never met either of you, but hearing your's (and other guys also) stories sometimes makes a guy feel like they have. THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US ALL.

Mike

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake! Congrats on sticking with it to the bitter sweet end, your a stud. Way to go!!! And thanks for letting us tag along.

27-Aug-08
Great Job Jake! Thank you so much for letting us all share in your adventures. When I listened to your report this morning, I was so excited for you, it felt like rooting for a favorite team that just won a championship! I'm sure my neighbors know I'm nuts for sure now.

Magnificent accomplishment!

Nick

27-Aug-08
Jake

Way to go that is an unreal accomplishment.

Shawn

27-Aug-08
"I heard Jimmy Ryan shot two Super Slams in two years."

Big D, surely you must have ment two grand slams in 2 years.

Michael

27-Aug-08
TominPA......No, I think he should change his handle to golden horseshoe!!!

27-Aug-08
YES!!! I cheered out loud in my office for you Jake when I listend to the final report. My secretary thinks I'm a little nuts, Oh well, what a great trip to follow! Thanks!

27-Aug-08
your secretary is right!!:0)

27-Aug-08
What can I say that hasn't been said already?

Congrats on a great acomplishment and thanks for taking us along! We need a new thread with the first 4 posts being all four pictures with dates, locations, and maybe a short summary of the hunt.

Congrats buddy!!

27-Aug-08
AS soon as he said,"It's 4 O'clock in the morning..." I knew he had pulled it off!!!

Way to go Jake, awesome accomplishment, way to stick it out all the way to the end.

Don.

27-Aug-08
Well done!! And do you know what the best thing is besides shooting a Sheep Slam in less than one year not to mention with a bow. Is that you get to go hunting again next week. I don't even know you and I can say I am proud of you way to stick with it. Did someone say North American Slam.

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake. What an accompishment.We all dream of hunts like this.And much better than watching a hunt on tv, felt like i was there with ya.

27-Aug-08
I know your taxidermist was rooting for you! I heard he just put a deposit down on a new boat? LOL!

Congrats Jake! Don't know what to say. Unreal. You must be mentally and physically exhausted from a grueling year. Gotta be a great feeling.

Congrats again! And thanks for taking us along.

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake, what an awesome accomplishment.

27-Aug-08
TD

With the luck that Jake is having I bet Jakes taxidermist has put a deposit down on a new house and a boat.

So which animal is next now Jake?? I think you were goign after caribou right

27-Aug-08
Awesome, unreal, 4 sheep with bow in a year. You worked hard to prepare, figure out where to go and who to go with, shoot, exercise, gear etc. To go 4 for 4 shows a ton of work. Period.

Congrat's!

27-Aug-08
Great job, I'm happy for you!! Charlie

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake!! It was great to follow along. Can't wait for the pics.

Hyde

27-Aug-08
WOW Jake, that is a truly amazing accomplishment! I can't wait to see the pics! Congratulations!

bowhuntress

27-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake. Outstanding! What a payday for you. You're well deserving for all of your efforts.

27-Aug-08
Congratulations BUDDY!!!!!

27-Aug-08
Way to persevere Jake. Congratulations! Really enjoyed the audio feeds Pat - Thanks

27-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake, Way to go!

27-Aug-08
Excellent job! Congratulations!!

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake!

27-Aug-08
well done. have to be very glad you made the call to fit that stone hunt in on short notice eh?

27-Aug-08
all right cup cake was the coffee any better in B.C :]

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake! You're my hero.

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake! Congrats on a great accomplishment.

27-Aug-08
I hope to read the entire slam story in a future issue of EBJ.

Congratulations on an unreal accomplishment!

27-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake an awesome accomplishment.

27-Aug-08
There was some fistpumping going on when he said he put the FAT LADY to bed.UNREAL HUNT

27-Aug-08
Awesome Jake!! I was at work when I tuned in to hear the finale. Good thing no one was in the job trailer when I heard that the Fat Lady wasn't coming out. As with a few other guys above, I got chills when I heard heart shot at 66 yrds!! Congrats Jake, cherish it, I think you just made history!

27-Aug-08
Congrats!!!

Nick

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake. You did it!!! Greg

27-Aug-08
This is probably as close as I'll ever come to hunting sheep. Thanks, Jake. It was fun to follow your hunt. Congratulations. You've earned it.

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake on you hardwork and digilence! This took a lot preparation and dedication on your part!

27-Aug-08
Again, congratulations, Jake, for such a magnificent achievement. You have inspired us all.

27-Aug-08
AWWWSUUUUMMMM!!!!!!!

27-Aug-08
Way to go Jake!

27-Aug-08
Congrats Jake!! Way to stick with it!!

Matt

28-Aug-08
So Jake what number will you be in the grand slam club with ORVIS??

28-Aug-08
Congratulations, Jake! That is just incredible. I've been with you everyday on this hunt, and am happy as he11 for you. Never gave up on the hope you'd get one. (Not that hard for me seeing 99% of everything I get comes on the last day.;^))

How about going to this years FNAWS show so we can all show up and buy you a beer? Congrats again,

Bill

28-Aug-08
Incredible...congrats!

28-Aug-08
Congrats Jake. Super bowhunting achievment!

28-Aug-08
All I can say is Wow, congratulations.

I would hope to see a book come out of this or at the minimum multiple magazine articles about this adventure, you deserve it.

28-Aug-08
Way to go Jake!!! Your definitly living the dream for all of us!!

28-Aug-08
UNREAL! Congrats just doesn't seem like enough....Phenomenal ending!

28-Aug-08
Jake here. I have a MILLION things to do, so this will be short. I got the ram plugged last night....he is probably somewhere between 144 and 147, and is 8 years old. He has a really white head and neck, and the rest of him is a very dark gray. I have weighed 210-225 pounds for the past thirty years of my life. I weighed myself at my guides house.....193 pounds, and it has been a long time since I have been been as lean and as ripped as I am right now. I am guessing that our packs were near 150 pounds coming out of the mountains, in the snow and the wind and the rocks....a tough pack out to say the least....and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Gotta run...I might have computer access tonight in Smithers....if so, I'll post more later. That's for the well wishes everyone.

28-Aug-08
Great end to a great story! Thanks for sharing.

28-Aug-08
Jake is in rare company as he will no doubt be the first archery grand slammer in the "ORVIS" books!

28-Aug-08
cool doings Jake. Man you must be in the best shape of your life after all your time in the mtns.

again, Great job!

28-Aug-08
ATTA BOY!!!

28-Aug-08
Way to go Jake! I actually cheered at my computer when I heard your last call! My wife thinks I'm nuts!

28-Aug-08
Jake.... ripped???? lol

michael

28-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake! I have a Grand Slam Hat waiting for you at home. I just got home and heard the news. As you know I've been in Maine Taking my two grandchildren on a bear hunt . Both were sucessful. Katy age 15 and Kevin aage 12.

28-Aug-08
Just an FYI- Orvis is for fishing they make fly rods and stuff like that, Ovis is for sheep. Couldn't help it.

28-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake!!! Dude, What an accomplishment!

28-Aug-08
Mn_archer,

I hope he is! I would be!!

29-Aug-08
Vic

I really need to proof read my posts better :)

29-Aug-08
Cassman,

I will NOT be able to return home for a day before leaving for my two caribou bowhunts. Therefore, tomorrow I am just flying directly to Yellowknife. I'll pick up a few things in Town and use what I have with me for the caribou bowhunts.

Mathewsshooter (aka Brandon),

The coffee was OK, but it didn't hold a candle to Mark Turner's java!!

I am currently NOT a member of FNAWS or Ovis or Grand Slam.....any suggestions on which one I should consider joining?

29-Aug-08
Congratulations Jake! This has been a great hunt to follow. What a wonderful year 2008 has been for you, and for all of us who've enjoyed following your exploits. Thanks for sharing your hunts with the rest of us.

29-Aug-08
Jake, I think now because of you I want to experience a sheep hunt. What you did has got to be the coolest thing. Congradulations!!!

29-Aug-08
Jake,

Thanks for taking the time update us on your hunt. Having been on a few I know how tired you can be. However, you took the time to set up the Sat. phone and update all of us on a daily basis. Thanks !!!

Additionally, I would like to thank Pat for bringing this technology into our homes and offices so that we can experience first hand these once in a life-time hunts! I for one actually have learned alot about what to expect on some of my hunts as a result.

Timber

29-Aug-08
I spoke with Jake on Wednesday afternoon. He was still on the mountain and was facing a 7 hour pack back to the road. He said that he figured his pack would weigh about 170 pounds. He was excited, but tired. I have been unable to get to a computer since I spoke with him, but he wanted me to express his thanks to everybody for all of their support. I believe that he is winging his way back to the Territories today to chase caribou. It might be awhile until he can post pictures.

29-Aug-08
Jake: Having been on a few sheep hunts I know how tired you must be. Now that you have completed your Slam you can continue your quest for all 27 animals of North America with a bow.You the man Jake!

29-Aug-08

tthomas's embedded Photo
tthomas's embedded Photo
Jake

You should join ORVIS for sure. Here is an award winner. Since you have all four, you should be #1. Look forward to seeing your photos of yours. Good luck on the bou. If you see Gay Appel, say hello to him for me and Steve.

29-Aug-08
JAKE....photo's PLEASE!...the suspence is killing me!

29-Aug-08
tthomas: That looks like a 25# King salmon. Great on a fly rod. How big and what river?

30-Aug-08
Thanks for taking me on all your hunt's. And I hope you get to rest a little be for the next one, I know I am ready for a nap just thinking of that pace.

30-Aug-08
TThomas,

Since you have some of the photos of the Stone Sheep ram on your laptop, why don't you post a couple for everyone to view?

BTW, thanks for the sub.....I just arrived in Yellowknife. Should be bowhunting for Central Barren Ground Caribou in a day or two.

Jake

I logged in with my registration numbr (at least, I think so)....why is it saying that I am cotrapper instead of medicinemann?

30-Aug-08
'cotrapper'....good luck with The Caribou! I hope you get into a GIANT!

30-Aug-08
Herm,

I JUST sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you get it.

Jake

31-Aug-08

thetthomas@home's embedded Photo
thetthomas@home's embedded Photo

31-Aug-08
"Jake"....got all 3 of them e-mails!

CONGRATS....keep having "FUN"! That's what it's all about!

Thank's for the photos!

You are wearing me out....and I ain't even hunting.....lol!

WHAT A GORGEOUS SHEEP.....congrats!

31-Aug-08
Herm,

Stone Sheep are much bigger bodied than I had imagined. They are referred to a "thin horned" sheep, and I guess that I assumed that it also meant they were thin bodied....which is definitely not true.

I always try to take "clean" (as in non-bloody) photos where everything looks decent....so non-hunters wouldn't be offended, if they were to view the photos in the presence of my hunting buddies.

I soaked my bandana with the last of my drinking water to try to clean the ram up for some photos. However, if you saw where he was when I shot him, and compared that where he FINALLY stopped tumbling and sliding, it's a miracle that the photos look as good as they do!!

He has a couple good gashes on his head, the entry hole for the heart shot was also pretty bloody. Add to the fact that darkness was setting in, it was the last evening of the hunt, we still had to cape and butcher him, we were 6-7 miles from camp (and on the WRONG side of the mountain), and there were 8 different grizzlies in the area (and gun was in camp), and suddenly super-clean photos just weren't as important as they might have been under different circumstances....

I actually wiped his mouth and head off quite a bit....but as you can see, it is still pretty red. I wonder if it can be "cleaned-up" with available technology?

I actually have the tenderloins in Yellowknife with me. When I arrive in Caribou camp tomorrow, I was going to offer to share the tenderloins with any others hunters in camp that would like to try them.....you are all invited!! LOL.

31-Aug-08
You're a class act, Jake. I am in awe of what you have been able to do over the past year. I can't imagine any other hunter on earth having a better year than yours has been. Good stuff!

06-Sep-08
Jake, Congratulations, quite a feat. Mark Hockenberry, Meadville Pa.

• Sitka Gear