Txnrog 13-Oct-08
AfricaArrow 13-Oct-08
Txnrog 13-Oct-08
AfricaArrow 13-Oct-08
Dr.C 13-Oct-08
Txnrog 13-Oct-08
Breith 13-Oct-08
09-Oct-08
I am trying to find some outfitters for Ugnada.....any info on bowhunting Uganda. I have hunted South Africa but I am interested in something new

09-Oct-08
How'd you pick Uganda? Didn't they just open back up to hunting? I don't know of any reputable outfitters there yet.

09-Oct-08

RK's Link
Here is a link from the Hunting Report

RK

09-Oct-08
That hunt report is 7 years old

09-Oct-08
Yes it is, that was posted to show African Arrows what he is up against.

09-Oct-08
Thanks for the info........does not seem like a lot is out about hunting in Uganda. I have some very good friends in South Africa which I have hunted several times........just looking for something totally new.

09-Oct-08
The Hunting Report has done several updates on Uganda recently. There have been reports from subscribers who've returned from there and the hunting has been great. And they were bowhunting. There are at least two operators currently and the editor of The Hunting Report is going herself in November. The reports are not available in the free section of the website, but if you call Barbara Crown at 305-670-1361 or e-mail her at [email protected] I'm sure she'll help you with information.

09-Oct-08
Thank you!!!!!

10-Oct-08
Africa Arrow, if you have hunted South Africa only, have you considered places like Zimbabwe or Zambia? These can certainly offer some hunts very different than you have had in RSA. There a lot of very good outfits in both of these countries.

10-Oct-08
Peter Flack hunted Uganda 2 years ago and wrote a reviews in SCI's magazine and perhaps for one of his Africa magazines. There was plenty of game, eack took a buffalo, large impala and I forget what else. Logistics are somewhat difficult. There is only 1 licensed operator in Uganda. The published photos looked great- plenty of short grass, lush trees and it has a ton of appeal. If managed correctly, the country can rebound in several years from devastating effect the civil war had on animals.

10-Oct-08
From the stories that I heard while I was there (SA), and since then,about Zimbabwe, I would not recommend anyone think about going there. You may want to look at Namibia. I've heard good things about there.

LBB

10-Oct-08
Check the State Department report on Uganda.

13-Oct-08
I can't speak about Uganda, but Zimbabwe is absolutely safe. There is no safety concern with hunting Zimbabwe.

13-Oct-08
"Safe" is a relative term in Africa. Any time you have to fly directly into hunting camp, avoid customs, and any significant city, and keep your plane in the concession for a "quick retreat". I would have a hard time considering a country "Safe".

Now, I will qualify that by stating that I haven't been to Zim, but even some of my PH friends in RSA who used to hunt there a couple years ago have started to pull out. I don't think the situation has degraded, but I don't think it's a risk worth taking, or a regime worth supporting.

Would be curious on the situation in Uganda. Honestly, I am very attracted to the 'off' countries in Africa, but if you're not planning on chasing a specalist species, I don't see why playing it 'safe' with a country like Botswana, RSA, Namibia, or Tanz wouldn't be the best choice. BTW, I understand that there are some affordable bowhunting opportunities poping up in Botswana that might be worth a look. BSC has a couple options there.

13-Oct-08
I have been to Botswana and I have been Zim and I would never consider Zim as a safe place. I will never go back to Zim.......it is sad to see what is happening to Zim.

I am just trying to some research on the Uganda and see just how safe it is and is it worth hunting. I have friends in South Africa.........I will continue to hunt in South Africa......just looking at some different options.

The idea of hunting some place where not many Americans have hunted is very attractive to me. Besides I might get lucky and hunted a couple different animals I can not find down south.

13-Oct-08
Have you looked at west africa? I have been looking at Benin, and BSC does a hunt in Cameroon or CAR as well. I understand it's tough bowhunting, but has had a definate attraction for me as it's a slightly different set of game available.

13-Oct-08
I have not looked into West Africa.....who is BSC and how do I find out info on them. This sounds exciting I would love to know more if you have any info

13-Oct-08
Txnrog, If you know of an outfit that is currently telling their clients that for safety reasons they should fly directly into camp, please share their names.

13-Oct-08
Bowhunting Safari Consultants, they are a sponsor here. Call Mark Bruer (sp?) he's run over a couple options with me. The biggest thing he mentioned is that the game in west africa is a more spread out, so you can't expect the same level of sightings you'd see in southern or east africa.

I have tried contacting Club Faune out of France, who outfits in Benin (West Africa is popular with the europeans, and most of the operators are european). I have recieved very poor contact response from them, which is a shame, because it looks like they have a good program.

Dr. C - This is enough for me to avoid it: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1063.html. Like I said before, the outfits I hunted with in RSA quit hunting Zimbabwe, when they did it, they chartered directly from Joberg to the hunting concession. Many outfits offer the option.

13-Oct-08
try to contact these guys

http://www.jensensafaris.com/index.html their website is unfortunatly in danish, so you wont understand much

but send an e-mail off to [email protected]

he is the guy running the company, his name is Holger Jensen.

Runs a outfitter in SA, and has done so since 1980, and i belive since 2003 have been doing hunts in Uganda aswell.

Anyway, it is worth a shot

• Sitka Gear