city hunter 31-Dec-08
Ryanw 31-Dec-08
Bou'bound 01-Jan-09
C.Beck 01-Jan-09
Shuteye 01-Jan-09
24-Dec-08
Pat: Keep the streak alive!! Good luck! C

24-Dec-08
Could you give us a heads up on what your plan is? What kind of a deer are you looking for this time around as the benchmark...?

24-Dec-08
good luck stay warm

24-Dec-08
i don't think you'll see many travel issues this year. seems pretty calm out there

24-Dec-08
yes bou they were saying holiday travel hasnt been this slow since 2002 ,,good luck happy holidays Pat

24-Dec-08
YES!!! I was hoping for the "deep freeze do over". Good luck Pat, and Merry Christmas everyone!

25-Dec-08
Pat, I hope you have a great hunt. I also hope the weather is better than it was here a couple of days ago. It was 10°F with a 30+ MPH wind. I hunted all day except a short break around lunch time. My recliner never felt better than it did that evening. I know you will get some great video and you won't have to worry about snakes or charging bears.

25-Dec-08
Weather looks much more bearable out here...gonna be windy, though. The windiest fall and early winter most of us can remember.

Supposed to be over 60 over most of Kansas on the 26th. Highs in the 40s and lows in the mid to upper 20s after that. A variety of wind directions in the forecast, maybe a little precip this weekend.

26-Dec-08
It should be an interesting few days with the famed Kansas weather phenom of "if you do not like the weather just wait 5 minutes"

He should be on a plane right now.

ckc

27-Dec-08
Good luck. I'm losing sleep over your hunt, instead of one of my own, since mine are all over for the year. Looking forward to updates-

dg

27-Dec-08
68f yesterday afternoon. Overnight we had a thunderstorm with 50 mph winds, lightning, hail, and torrential rain. Cold front came in behind it and everything is iced over this morning in East-Central Ks this morning.

Yep, give it five minutes............

27-Dec-08
I know your a season hunter Pat but this time of the year look for a food source and you will find most of the deer grouped up. Don't get too use to the 70 degree weather in can change in a heart beat and usually does.

27-Dec-08
I was out last night and saw a decent buck chasing two mature does all over the field..I`m still sitting on my buck tag too..good luck Pat---it`s tuff to find a big buck that`s not broke up this time of year..especially in area like your hunting with so many mature bucks...find that big boy ya saw in Nov...good luck

27-Dec-08

Greg Kush's Link
I noticed that Greg's buck isn't showing up in the live hunt, so I figured out what the URL for the image should have been. Just click on the link in this post if you want to see it.

Pat will probably fix the image link before this is really needed, but here it is anyway.

28-Dec-08
beautiful buck! And a great grin too!

28-Dec-08
That buck would warm you right up no matter what the temperature was. He's a beauty. All the bucks I have been seeing have their racks all busted up. I want to find the one that busted them.

28-Dec-08
Great buck greg, I was thinking someone shot a deer, due to the later posting of the days hunt, Congrats greg, good luck rest of the week pat.

28-Dec-08

I wish it was in the 70's here in Maine Just got two feet of snow and in the single digits. Good luck with the rest of your hunt.

28-Dec-08
I accidentally ended up in Protection, KS about a week and a half ago. I was hunting in Comanche County but staying in Laverne, OK.

As it turns out, most of those rural roads look very much the same in the dark.....! Having your GPS along is apparently a great idea!

Good luck. They are out there.

Pete

28-Dec-08
I can't get the picture of the buck to open for me... tried both Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox. I'd be appreciative if one of you who can view it would try attaching it to a post. Maybe that'll work.

28-Dec-08
me either

maybe the joke pat played is on us and not just kent.

either that or they turk the picture of the buckin a whiteout blizzard cuz/ all i see is white.

28-Dec-08

Gray Ghost's embedded Photo
Gray Ghost's embedded Photo
Here's Greg's buck. A beautiful heavy eight. Very nice!

GG

28-Dec-08
great deer! I'm moving to Colorado in 2 months and hope to travel to KS, MT or WY for a whitetail hunt next year!

28-Dec-08
Thanks, Matt.

Nice buck.

28-Dec-08
Congratulations to Greg on a great buck, and good luck to you Pat. I hunted northeast Kansas in Nov. and rattled in a nice 8pt. I saw several pope and young qualifiers, including one booner that I brought back to the horns within 15yds, of course this was after I had already taken the 8pt. Have a great hunt! Jeff.

28-Dec-08
Nice deer, How wide is he???

28-Dec-08
Nice buck! Congrats to Greg!!!

29-Dec-08
No post yet today. Hmmmmm.... Maybe Pat got lucky!

>>>>>-------------->

30-Dec-08
of course he got lucky! he's sitting in a tree with a kansas tag. what else needs to be said!

30-Dec-08
Pat see you go away and the place is a wreck without you.. good luck hurry home ...

30-Dec-08
Tough stuff huh, late season or not. It seems like so many people think that there are just B&C bucks behind every tree in KS and that killing one is no big accomplishment! Even at those big ranches that charge thousands and thousands of dollars, success on a mature buck is never guaranteed.... It's all about scouting, willpower, perseverance, and a lot of luck. Even those who choose to take the easy road and bait will find that sometimes all the corn in the world won't even work. Hold out hope, guys! 1 day left in the season is still over 650 minutes you can be out there, any one of which might be the lucky one!!!!!

And to boot, a last day buck makes for a much better story...... :-)

30-Dec-08
pat wrong stand ouch , when this stuff happens to me i just laugh.. Pat keep your head up hes going to walk by you.... good luck and enjoy louis

31-Dec-08
I will give you odds that steamboatstalker is from Kansas and not Florida. I know the mentality(hehe)

31-Dec-08
After more research, make That 1,000,000 to 1 (hehe)

31-Dec-08
Not exactly FROM Kansas but I did live and hunt there for 8 years... just migrated south for the winter!(and preceding summer)

But I feel for the guys still huddling in 30mph "breezes" at -10 deg wind chills... especially when it's Dec 30th and 80 deg down here!!!

31-Dec-08
FYI, SteamboatStalker, the Kansas mentality with sarcasm of your previous post has not been erased or forgotten.

rich

31-Dec-08
Travis, I can,t help ya, son. I gotta sit the grandkids. You're on your own tomorrow. Besides, it's gonna be damned cold around Mulvane. Give us a report later and we'll tell ya what ya did wrong. (hehe) rich

31-Dec-08
Good post Steamboat. I agree 100%!!!(and good luck Pat)

31-Dec-08
Pat - if you read this- just pick a stand where you think a big one is likely to travel by and FORGET the wind! The wind changes often and oftentimes a buck will turn up where you least expect it to. Look at it this way - you haev played the wind card, eliminated stands, etc. How much worse could you do?!

best of luck!

>>>>>------------->

31-Dec-08
Keep at it Pat. Last day, last hunt, last few minutes are hunker down hard time. Stick a biggin!

31-Dec-08
I hope the weather is a little better in Kansas than it is in Maryland this morning. It isn't real cold but the wind is hitting 50 MPH. A great day for sneaking up on one but not for sitting in a tree stand.

31-Dec-08
Pat....looks like you should have gone guided. :0)

Good luck for the last day!

31-Dec-08
Good luck tonight Pat. Hope you have last minute success. That would be great! We have all been there when it seems like you can't get a break. Steve

31-Dec-08
Pat,

No matter the outcome, I for one am impressed. You passed on some nice bucks during the rut, and came back for a late season hunt. You shared everything to boot. Kudos to you! Happy New Year and come back and see us in '09!

31-Dec-08
Pat make it count, down to the wire good luck .. i thought with scent lock u forget the wind and just hunt lol happy new year 2009

31-Dec-08
Pat says no news is good news, do you think he got one or no?

01-Jan-09
nope

01-Jan-09
I was wondering how long a good streak could go unbroken!?!? Congrats on your hunt Pat..... it was a success even though you didnt get a deer. To experience a great hunt like the one you had this year is more than most hunters will ever get.

01-Jan-09
If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Just being out in the woods is a great experience and Pat shares it with us.

Pat check out the video that Rupe posted on the community forum. You hunted right where that video was shot, in Maryland. You probably saw that buck.

• Sitka Gear