OkieJ 28-Jul-17
olebuck 28-Jul-17
Z Barebow 28-Jul-17
Randy Green 28-Jul-17
Zim1 29-Jul-17
olebuck 31-Jul-17
Car Camper 28-Sep-18
06-Feb-09
I am going to either buy a Springbar tent or a Kodiak Canvas, can anyone coment why one over the other? Looks like Kodiak copied Springbars design and sells a bit less expensive? lastly how well do they do in snow as far as loads? Thanks and is it elk season yet?

06-Feb-09
I personally would stay with the Springbar. There is not a better tent made worldwide in that type of tent. The go up and down easy if that's what you want, and they stay up if that's what you want, in snow, in rain and in wind. You can beat a Springbar. I have three of them!

What model are you considering?

Have a great bowhunt. BB

06-Feb-09
Tell me more about the Springbarr BB. What application do you use it for and what model do you have. They look pretty neat. Like a Family tent on Streroids.

06-Feb-09
+1 for Springbar. I have 2. A 10x14 which we use for family or a base camp and a discontinued 4 season backpacking model that we have used in 18" of snow. Very dependable designs and excellent service; made in the good ol USA. They have a large and very loyal customer base for good reasons. I have no first hand knowledge of Kodiak.

06-Feb-09
It looks like Kodiak copied them. You get alot for less is why I asked since design and materials appear to be equal. Only difference is Kodaik sas not designed for a snow load.

06-Feb-09
I own a Kodiak 10x10, and love it, I went with them for the value. You cant go wrong with ether tent, both are top quality but I think $ for $ you get more with Kodiak. Springbar is made in the USA. Kodiak is made over seas.

06-Feb-09
For one -Springbar is made in the USA and Kodiak is made in China--enuf said. Second the materials are not the same- Springbar is an all canvas tent except the floor. The Kodiak is a blended canvas or maybe has some synthetic material in the fabric of the tent. Call Springbar- they will give you the scoop on the difference in the materials. I have heard that the Kodiak does not breathe as well. I have a 10x10 Springbar Traveler and can not say enough good things about it. Have had it for 6 years and it is in great shape.

Springbar has been around for many years and I know they stand behind their products. I quess it is like most things- you get what you pay for. The first time I saw the Kodiak in the Cabellas catalog I thought what a rip-off of an idea but that is how it goes with products. Plus they are not that much cheaper than the Springbar. Buy the Springbar-you won't be sorry and you can pass it down to your kids because it will last that long if you take care of it.

Just my 2c and I guess not a very humble opinion

06-Feb-09
I have all Kifaru packs, so I am good with the money and USA part, just wondering if anyone had first-hand info. I have wall tents as well, just looking for easier to set up. Think i'll order my Springbar this weekend. Thanks, now if someone can just make elk season get here quicker!

06-Feb-09

BB's Link
Here's a link to the Springbar tent.

I can assure you its the best tent made period for camping from your truck of vehicle. You can not purchase a better tent worldwide and that's a fact.

They are made in Salt Lake City, Utah. I have three kids and I intent to give each of them a tent.

I have a big, a medium and a small one.

My son when he was small would put the tent up while I unloaded stuff. That's how easy they area. I had to lift the end poles and at times drive the stakes if the ground was hard. But after putting it up once or twice a guy can do it in less than 5 minutes. There is not an eaiser tent to put up or one that stays up better than the springbar.

Click on the different links and you can find out about everything you want to know. You will never be sorry for buying a springbar.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

06-Feb-09
I own the Kodiak 10x10 and personally I can't see shelling out the extra $ for the Springbar, unless you absolutely have to buy American. The Kodiak is an ALL canvas tent, except for the floor (the Kodiak floor is much better than Springbar's floor, imho). The craftsmanship and materials on my Kodiak are top-notch.

07-Feb-09
Olink did you compare the two of them?

07-Feb-09
Yes, I looked at both, but the Springbar that I looked at was a used one.

08-Feb-09
This has been a very interesting thread. I am in need on a new tent. I do not want a wall tent but something to put up alongside one on our western huntng trips. How will these tents hold under a heavy snow falll? I like to buy American but that Kodiak looks pretty nice also.

10-Feb-09
I love my 12x14 Kwik Kamp wall tent, however, this year I finally grew tired of setting it up for myself only on the earlier archery hunts when fires are not allowed (Forest Service restrictions). Plus, sometimes I don't move camp because of the pain in setting the wall tent up again. So, I opted to supplement my tent selection with a Kirkhams Family Camper. I can get the tent set up in 10 minutes - no lie. Nice and simple. I used a friends previously and he swears by it. I love mine. When restrictions lift and I am chasing elk though I always go for the wood stove and wall tent - it just fits with the elk hunt.

Bret

11-Feb-09
I got a Springbar vagabond 4 for christmas, haven't used it yet but I have big plans,l, well its been 6 or 7 years now since I got the springbar for Christmas and I have nothing but praise for this tent, I just spent 6 days in it elk hunting and the last 2 days with nothing but rain, and I had to abandon the camp and come and get it later, it rained for 5 more days and when we got back to the tent it was still there standing tall and dry as a bone inside. this is an amazing tent,, My floor is absolutely waterproof it appears to be rubberized, ?? anyway either one will be the best tent you have ever been around

02-Apr-09
Want to know the truth about this topic? I am the owner and founder of Kodiak Canvas so, I happen to know a little about it. Springbar makes a great tent. I grew up camping in Springbars. I even approached them about a joint venture. They are really good people, but were just not interested. Yes we are made in China by an expert canvas tent maker. That is where the savings comes from. Make no mistake, my intention was not to be a cheap imitation, rather an improved evolution. Our canvas is custom woven to our specs. It surpassed Springbar’s canvas (imported from the Middle East) in performance testing by an independent textile lab. Our floor is 16 oz with welded seams. SB is 9 oz with stitched floors (that means water will come up through the floor). Our netting is about twice the weight and strength. We use the same top-of-the line #10 YKK zippers. KC give you a front and back door with modern D-shaped. SB is 1 door. KC give a gear loft and sew in pocket organizers. SB none. KC vents for improved temperature and air flow management. SB none. KC give a handy strap-and-cinch storage bag that conforms to the tent, SB hard to get it in the bag stuff bag. KC over 6 lbs of 12 in steel stakes, SB 9 inch plastic. No question who make the better tent. Look at the raving reviews at Cabelas.com. KC is the real deal!

02-Apr-09
Thanks for giving the info. I have been looking at both and it is always nice to hear from the owners. And welcome to the site!!!

02-Apr-09
The Know, why no stove option?

02-Apr-09
The stove option would be nice. Spring bar had it at one time. SB uses what is known as "Sunforger" it is a 10 oz mildew, heat and flame treated fabric. Kodiak is heavier but I don't know about it's treatments.

I have had a 9X14 for over 14 years and it still looks and acts like new. I'm extremely happy with mine however I do like the improvements that Kodiak has made.

02-Apr-09
Ditto, The Know.

02-Apr-09
We have owned 2 springbars over the years and never had any problems with them.. They have been in some heavy winter storms here in utah and held up just fine.

02-Apr-09
I bought the 10 x 10 and it is top notch quality as well is the Springbar I am sure! You get alot and high quality with the Kodiak and I deffinetly am glad I bought it!

17-May-10
Just thought I would pass on that after all the reviews I bought the Springbar Travler 10x10. I could have saved a few $$$ and went with the Kodiak but I would rather give my money to UT than China plus I do believe the quality of the materials was better with the SB.

17-May-10
Well done tracker. The Springbar is what I am going to buy as well. I trust BB on this one and I always try to buy American made products when possible. I have researched alot of canvas tents and the Springbar stands out among the best made today.

14-Sep-16
I see this thread dropped off a long time ago but that suits me fine as I am just entering this market for canvas tents:) ok now what I am wondering after all these years is: How are the seams on the floors holding up? The kodiak with welded seams vs springbar with stitched seam. Any body encounter any problems with that?

14-Sep-16
I can vouch for the Kodiak as being one hell of a tent. 6" of hail (yes, you read that right) on a Colorado elk hunt and other than an awning pole collapsing the main 10x14 tent never faltered in the least! I can't speak to all of the stuff coming out of China, but the Kodiak is one thing they got RIGHT! Built very well, great materials and craftsmanship. For $75 I had a stovejack professionally installed in my sidewall for use with a three-dog stove. I don't often give reviews on equipment because quite honestly I am quite critical, but I would definitely recommend a Kodiak to anybody so long as weight is no issue...they are heavy (89# w/poles). We had a springbar when I was a kid and I guess if spending more $ is your priority then that's the route you should take, other than that the Kodiak is an awesome tent. For what it's worth I've had people who would never camp in a tent see mine and say "Hey, I'd go camping in THIS tent!"

14-Sep-16
I really need to read the dates before I respond! LOL!!!

Well, one thing about Bowsite is sooner or later somebody else will as the same question, so this is for them!

14-Sep-16
South Farm, who installed your stovejack? Where was it installed? Endwall, or on a doorwall? What do you put under your stove to protect the floor?

Would you happen to have any pictures showing it?

Thanks

14-Sep-16
If you buy a Kodiak you will not regret it! Its quality every inch is quality no cutting corners on these tents.

14-Sep-16
Love my Kodiak. Great design and materials. It is so easy to set up, keeps me warm and dry and easy to clean out. I have kids that are tough on gear and they haven't hurt the Kodiak at all!

14-Sep-16
Had never been around a spring bar but helped set up a Kodiak on a AZ elk hunt last week very nice tent. Was impressed with the ease of set up

14-Sep-16
Have owned my 10x10 Springbar for 26 years now. Still use it for elk every September. Kodiak is a Utah company (although produced in China) that has helped Springbar become better due to competition. Springbar has a great showroom located on state street and 33rd south in Salt Lake City -- a store that has all the good camping stuff. Both great products.

15-Sep-16
Joey, I had a local guy who makes boat covers do mine and it was installed in the endwall...slope of the endwall allows pipe to go straight up with no need for elbows. I applied some steel flashing to a piece of 18"x36" 1/4" plywood with contact cement and tacks to place under the stove...more to protect the floor from being ripped by the stove legs than heat though. I'll see if I can find a few pics to post so keep your eyes peeled.

15-Sep-16

South Farm's embedded Photo

15-Sep-16

Not sure this will work, but here goes..

15-Sep-16

One more, you purists ignore the rifles;)

15-Sep-16

Try again!

15-Sep-16
South Farm, looks good.

What do put under the stove? Fiberglass drop cloth?

15-Sep-16
A piece of plywood with steel applied on top.

The three dog stove will cook you out of that tent, in hindsight the two dog would do.

11-Oct-16
I am looking hard at either a Springbar or Kodiak. My one question for the Kodiak is the awning attachment. I noticed on the Springbar it looks like it Zips off. I had read that the Kodiak awning is sewn on. My concern is that we get some midwest storms and at times it would be good to take down the awning. How do you deal with big winds and rain with the Kodiak awning. I had read a couple of review that the awning is a potential leaky point if you roll it up. That is the only thing really pushing me towards either brand other than the Made in the USA aspect.

11-Oct-16
I have the Kodiak 10 x 14 and love it. A new travel trailer kept it home this year though. I do not know how a tent could bave more quality in every aspect. I especially like the floor. I do wish I had an extra window though for the warmer early season we have.

God bless, Steve

11-Oct-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Been using the Kodiak for the last several seasons. It's been through rain, hail, snow, high winds, and has held up like a champ. Quick set up and take down. Put a center pole up under the awning for more head room and keep water running off.

As for a stove, my buddy heater is turned on before I get out of the sleeping bag in the morning and again while I'm eating dinner before bed. The 10 x 10 has been a great tent for my solo hunts.

11-Oct-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Kitchen...

11-Oct-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Living quarters...

11-Oct-16
is a 10x14 big enough for 3 guys that sleep on cots?

I would be interested in getting a stove jack installed as well.

11-Oct-16
Olebuck...with a stove, cots, and gear the 10x14 is "doable" with three guys, but perfect for just two. Take the stove out and no problem with three...or even four.

11-Oct-16
My sons and I hunted out of a 10x14 kodiak and had a 6' folding table setup at one end. We did just fine in it for over a week and we had 2 cots and a mattress pad that I used. We also used the buddy heater to heat the tent before we went to sleep, then turned it on again in the morning to warm it up. Tent warmed up within 5 minutes every morning. Had sleet, rain and heavy winds and the tent stood strong.

--Mitch

11-Oct-16
What do you guys think of this one? Or does it need to be a flex bow model?

Thanks, Branden

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TIANJIN-LONGWAY-X-CANVAS-TENT-W-ENCLOSURE/1962874.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dkodiak%2Bcanvas%26CQ_st%3Db

11-Oct-16
I bought a springbar and love it. Use on elk hunts fishing trips and any where else. My buddies have Kodiaks. Mostly because out east they are available. There nice but I would by Sb again. I waited till there free shipping sale

11-Oct-16
I have a Kodiak 10x14 and love it. Can set it up by myself in short order.

11-Oct-16
I have a Springbar tent, 8' x10'. For about 8 years now. I like it very much. Sets up easily and has withstood some big winds. For me, I eliminated all tents made in china from consideration, so can't comment on the Kodiaks.

12-Oct-16
The hardest thing about setting up the Kodiak is pounding the 18 stakes in. After that it's a breeze!

12-Oct-16
I posted on this as howler back in 09, well now I am sbschindler and wanted to update on the springbar, I got a Springbar vagabond 4 for christmas, haven't used it yet but I have big plans,

well its been 6 or 7 years now since I got the springbar for Christmas and I have nothing but praise for this tent, I just spent 6 days in it elk hunting and the last 2 days with nothing but rain, and I had to abandon the camp and come and get it later, it rained for 5 more days and when we got back to the tent it was still there standing tall and dry as a bone inside. this is an amazing tent,, My floor is absolutely waterproof it appears to be rubberized, ?? anyway either one will be the best tent you have ever been around

12-Oct-16

BOWNUT@WORK's embedded Photo
BOWNUT@WORK's embedded Photo
Very happy with mine. Even the wife that hates camping likes it.

12-Oct-16

12-Oct-16
South farm: I'd like to see a pic of the inside of your tent with the stove. Thanks

05-Apr-17
Glad to see this thread active again... good opportunity to see how the Springbar vs Kodiak first-hand experiences have evolved. A couple incidental comments:

1. The person asking about how the awning attaches to the Kodiak vs Springbar, when rolling up the Kodiak awning (it's sewn on), roll it underhanded so the final rolled bundle does not have the roll gap on top, thus a water collector.

2. I am always impressed w/ folks that talk about owning and using the same Springbar tent for decades. Too soon to know about Kodiak, but early indications are encouraging.

3. Gotta admit I like Springbar's steel stake rings connected directly to the tent w/ a seam rope running through it. I worry if the fabric loops on Kodiak hold up over time and extensive use.

4. Always bugs me when I read Kodiak's disclaimers about 'not for extended use', 'not for extreme conditions', 'not for stoves', etc. Sounds like their lawyers have insisted on strong liability boilerplate. Some knowledgeable folks suggest there's a design-compromise reason for such overt statements. But I haven't seen any definitive analysis, yet. Anecdotal evidence from Kodiak users suggest that the tent does hold up in harsh conditions (though perhaps not Everest expedition level), some folks are successfully living in their Kodiaks for multiple years so far, and many Kodiak tent owners have installed stove jacks and use a stove with no apparent issues.

5. The US vs China issue.... besides the emotional and economic-tactical debate, I have to admit I like the Springbar narrative on how they hand build each tent, set it up and scrutinize it before packaging for sale. And how they back up their work w/ service, repair, etc. Despite what appears to be a quality manufacturer in China, it's still easy to question whether Kodiak's bigger marketing push and high product volume can give the same sense of confidence that Springbar does.

6. Can't beat Kodiak's prices --- esp. if you shop around... holy cow. Can save hundreds if you're patient. Springbar plainly states that it's prices are fixed, no need for sales. I get that based on their quality defense. But Kodiak has better prices and more 'features' than Springbar on comparable tents -- though Springbar has its unique features (steel stake loops, etc). I sometimes wonder if Springbar is sitting still (product innovation-wise) while Kodiak out maneuvers them. Just an impression.

My guess is that if you're just a once or twice a year canvas tent camper/hunter, both will serve you well... quite well, with no significant difference. I do suspect the Springbar will stand better against howling high winds, mainly because of the staking method. Curious to see the experiences of others.... :)

24-Jul-17

wildcamper's Link

24-Jul-17

wildcamper's embedded Photo
Can't beat the classic look and bomber protection of a Springbar.
Can't beat the classic look and bomber protection of a Springbar.
after heavy rains in colorado high country. Springbar Highline Tent totally bomber
after heavy rains in colorado high country. Springbar Highline Tent totally bomber

wildcamper's Link
Hi there, know this thread is old but I just got a new Springbar Highline Tent and wanted to put my 2 cents in. I was looking to buy a tent that would last so i really did my homework on this one. I picked this tent up at Kirkham's in SLC and spent a while comparing tents and getting the story. The Springbar Tent was invented by Jack Kirkham in 1961, and his son, also Jack, runs the operation today. They still sew a limited number of Springbar Tents in SLC, Utah- there was a wait time of 6 weeks to get a USA made tent when I was in there.They look good though. I've got a buddy with a Springbar that he got from his dad that's 30 years old and still going strong which I why I started looking at the things to begin with. But they also had some newer tents called the Highline Series, which are being sewn overseas to help meet demand. Side-by-side It was hard to tell a difference between the USA tents and the Highline- both are great looking tents. The way they explained it to me, was that the goal was not to build a cheaper tent to compete with the Kodiak (the Kodiak copied the basic Springbar design ten years back or so and is at big box stores like Cabela's) but just to have more quality Springbar tents. Could tell they put a lot of work into getting the Highline right and it showed. Really like the wire stake loops and the window design. Had me sold and I could walk out with it that day. I had mine out in some really heavy monsoon weather in the Colorado high country last week and it was bomber- no leaking with even an inch of puddled water under the tent. Really impressive how well it held up. Also spent some time looking at Kodiak but I just think the Springbars have a real nice classic look and when you get to looking at the details there's a real quality difference i think- but the warranty and service was the big thing. My understanding, is that if you break or tear something on a Kodiak and call em he tells you to look for a local canvas shop to fix it or just get a new tent. Read a lot of poor reviews out there on the service/warranty side of things for the kodiak guys. At springbar they've got a canvas shop and build tents all the time, if something breaks or tears you can get it fixed right. They're lifetime warranty is no joke and it goes for the Highline tents as well. IMHO it's way worth it to spend an extra hundred bucks up front and get a Springbar. you'll be glad you did

24-Jul-17
Have used wall tents for many years and you just can't beat their dependability period. That said, I did buy a Kodiak 10x14 this spring for the shear convenience of how easy and fast they can be put up, wife & kids love that as well for the weekend trips. As for quality, I feel they are very comparable to one another, Kodiak I felt had a thicker floor, but both had canvas (no blends in either brand) of good quality. I also liked the accessory options with Kodiak. I like things made USA, but for the $700 difference (I got discount on Kodiak) I went with the Kodiak. But if I'm staying for more than 4 days I'll use the wall tent. If your worried about snow load just throw a tarp over it.

25-Jul-17
Thanks for bringing this topic back up. I'm in the market, and doing my research for one of these two currently.

25-Jul-17
I did research off and on for past few years and I finally found the right deal and went with the Kodiak Deluxe 10 x 14. I'm impressed with it. It is very easy to put up. The hardest part is pounding in the stakes. I ended up paying $533.49 which included the heavy duty ground tarp and shipping. I am sure the Springbar would be a great tent as well. Here's a couple of pics from a few weeks ago. It fits 3-4 cots nicely.

I haven't had any problems yet so cannot comment on the warranty.

25-Jul-17
For some reason I get a 500 internal server error when trying to add a pic.

25-Jul-17
I have the Kodiak 10X10 and 10X14. These might be the only products I own that I would give 100% satisfaction and would recommend 100%. Great quality, durability and ease of set-up are where they excel.

Feel very safe with your purchase my friend.

25-Jul-17
My kodiak has been through a lot of ugly weather and you can trust it 100% to stay put and not leak. Never any issues although stakes could be upgraded to 1/2 inch rebar for rocky ground.

26-Jul-17
Marc W., the one I purchased came with 1/2" x 10" SS spikes with eye let loop ends, so think they made that up grade.

27-Jul-17
Good timing for this thread as I've been trying to pick between these two the last week or so. Both sound good I decided on the Kodiak since my wife is chinese and also I got a 10% discount coupon. Was planning on doing the 10 x 10 delux as I don't want to cart any more than that for my long drives to western elk trips. You guys that hunt solo happy with that size as opposed to the 10 x 14?

27-Jul-17
Zim I would consider going with the 10 x 14. The poles will be the same weight and the tent will be just a bit heavier. It will probably take up the same amount of space.

27-Jul-17
Zim, I have the 10x10 for my solo hunts and it's perfect for me with the vestibule. See my pics above.

27-Jul-17

midwest's Link
btw....check out Competitive Edge for the best prices. They often have deep discounts.

At my link...

27-Jul-17
Ya I did but looks like they are just back ordering now.

27-Jul-17
Zim- With you and the bride, I would recommend 10x14. Plenty of room for gear and set up a kitchen area.

I hunt solo and there is tons of room. When cold, I set up a Buddy Heater in it with a 10' hose (Leaving tank outside). I leave the end cap vents open.

27-Jul-17
I have a 10x10 Kodiak for sale on the leatherwall classified.

28-Jul-17
Z Barebow, Fang lives in China during the fall hunting seasons. And I have a 12' x 12' Alaknak if she ever changed that schedule. This tent would be just for my solo hunts, mostly elk.

28-Jul-17
Randy Green I have sent 2 PM yesterday on your tent. Are you getting them?

28-Jul-17
my kodiak Flex bow will be here today 10x14 with vestibule.

looking forward to setting it up.

28-Jul-17
I misunderstood Zim. I use my 10x14 solo and is easy enough to handle solo. A 10x10 would definitely work solo and still have room. (I use mine more multipurpose) I will be using the 10x14 this weekend for a family camping trip.

28-Jul-17
Okiej- I responded today, hope it went thru. Your welcome to text me (740) 801-1953

29-Jul-17

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Grabbed the last one in stock at the Hammond Cabelas. Splurging more than normal this year due to drawing five tags. Want to be comfortable.

31-Jul-17
Got mine in and set it up and took it down.

will be setting up this evening to get it "seasoned"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUQg5g8hM4

28-Sep-18
Last year I wanted to buy a Springbar tent. I like to buy made in USA products. I also believe that the Springbar tent has some advantages on the Kodiak tent, but the Kodiak tent has some important advantages too. The Kodiak 10'x10' VX model has extra large side windows, that keep the tent much cooler during the days and nights, and allows you to use the tent for more months of the year. Springbar tents do not offer this side windows feature on their 10'x10' tent. I called them to see if they will custom make this feature for me, and they do not take custom order anymore (like they used to). Not only that, but you have to wait few months, if you order one of their USA made tents. The Sprinbar tents that you can get right away, are made in China, and they are not made with the same material quality, as the ones that are made in the USA. Even their pole system is made from different material and it's heavier than the one that are made here. I was willing to pay more for the springbar, and I was willing to pay extra for the custom windows. But they couldn't help me. So I ordered the 10'x10' Kodiak VX model, with the two large side windows. Beside the side window, the Kodiak tent has D doors, which are big advantage compare to the regular center and bottom zippers doors that the Springbar has: The Spring bar style doors are pain to operate, and you always have to bend over and use all three zippers to get in or out of the tent. Also, this style doors are not utilizing the full opening of the door and their screens. It is an old "bad" design, that was never improved on the Springbar. The Kodiak tents are really well made, and also, with a good care, just like the Springbar, will last for many years. So, I wish that the Springbar tent company will step-up their operation, speed up their production, and catch up with the demand they have for their USA made tents. There is no excuse in this country not to meet a production demand. Thank you for reading my comments, and good luck with your tent.

• Sitka Gear