sluggo 01-Sep-09
Bowfreak 01-Sep-09
redwing 01-Sep-09
jhelton 02-Sep-09
Fred 02-Sep-09
Coldsteel 02-Sep-09
bman9900 02-Sep-09
31-Aug-09
I like everything about my Switchback and while talking with a manager in the archery dept. at Bass Pro, who used to work for a Mathews dealership, was saying he thought the Switchback was one of the best if not the best hunting bow Mathews has made. Now for you guys out there that are Mathews lovers and have owned a Switchback and now have gone to one of the newer models, how do you feel they compare other than newer ones being faster?

31-Aug-09
I have read several articles saying that the 2 best models Mathews ever made were the Q2 and the Switchback-and that since the Switchback it has been downhill. There is much anecdotal evidence that recent bows like the Monster and Reezen leave much to be desired.

I cannot verify that myself but Mathews does change models every year to attract more sales. In fact, they have been very aggressive with this approach as was PSE before them. This bit PSE in the butt for several years as change did not always mean better equipment-and Mathews took advantage.

It will be interesting to see if another manufacturer takes advantage of Mathews' constant changes and if the new models hold up to others competing with them in the market.

To me it is clear that change does NOT necessarily mean change for the better. More often than not it is simply a marketing ploy -a ploy apparently many fall victim to because it seems to work.(See camo,calls,scent control products,sights,etc.,etc.,etc.) It is tougher than ever to separate the wheat from the chaff as a consumer these days...

31-Aug-09
I agree. The Drenalin was too light for me to hold steady and had a bit more hand shock.

The Reezen is far less forgiving, much harder to draw and has much more hand shock. I guess that could be expected for a much faster bow.

31-Aug-09
Still shooting my 05' Switchback as I have found nothing that has pushed me to change what is not broken.

31-Aug-09

Phydous's embedded Photo
Phydous's embedded Photo
I thought about going to the Monster this year, but, I absolutely love my Switchback. It's comfortable and shoots fantastic. So, I just put a new string/cables on it and will use it until I find a reason to change. (and no pun intended!) :)

31-Aug-09
I shot a Switchback for two or three years, one of the best bows I've owned. I ended up trading it on a Hoyt Vulcan. There was nothing wrong with the Switchback, I just wanted something new. I shoot all the new models each year and, to me, the newer Mathews (Drenalin, Reezen, Monster) aren't as good as the Switchback. The Drenalin and Reezen just didn't fit me right and the Monster had a very harsh draw cycle. Granted, that is just my subjective opinion. I know many guys who love their Monster, Drenaline, etc and say it's the best bow they've ever shot. for me, the Switchback is the best Mathews.

31-Aug-09
Mathews made bows after the Switchback?

31-Aug-09
Yep, just put a new string and cable on my Switchback too. Great bow, I see no reason to buy a new compound. A new longbow is another story though... 8^)

31-Aug-09
I loved my Switchback but prefer the Drenalin hands down. It is both lighter and faster and I don't notice any hand shot whatsoever. I agree the Reezen and Monster are gimmicky junk - and I have shot both. No thanks.

The DXT is a great little bow as well.

31-Aug-09
I shoot the LD model. Doubt I'll ever buy another bow. Certainly no time soon.

31-Aug-09
i had a switch back xt and it was really smooth and quiet but it was the slowest bow i owned

31-Aug-09
Ive owned a Swithback for 4 years and a Reezen for 4 months. I really like the Switchback I believe I like the Reezen even more. Im shooting the tightest groups of my life this summer. Heres my comparison of the 2 bows. Both are quiet shooting bows. Both are accurate bows. I honestly believe the Reezen is more accurate . It is a shooter. I scratch my head when I read about the vibration. Mines set up to hunt and I just cant figure out what people mean about vibration in the riser. The Reezen is typical Mathews when it come to dependable . Set it up , tune it up and you wont need to monkey with it. My Switchback and Reezen are both set at 62 pounds. The Reezen does have a different stiffer draw . It takes about a week before you dont notice it anymore. The Reezen is 25 fps faster . I packed the Reezen 6.5 on a spotnstalk lope hunt 2 weeks ago. The buck I took didnt think the bow was a gimmick.

31-Aug-09
Hey Guys,

I can appreciate your opinion about the switchback. I fell the same way about my Xtec and didnt care for the newer models.

Just put new WC strings on and good to go another year.

The newer bows cant kill em any faster.

31-Aug-09
Don't they still make the Switchy and call it an S2?

31-Aug-09
I have an '06 Switchback XT, thought about possibly buying a new bow for this season but instead replaced the string on my SB - still love shooting it. As a side note, some people think Bowtech Allegiance is the Switchback of the Bowtech line: great shooting, well made and a classic hunting bow. The Hoyt Alphamax might be the next "classic hunting bow" - one that owners will be reluctant to give up.

01-Sep-09
I can't see me given up my DXT anytime soon. It's the quietest, lightest, and most accurate bow that I have shot. Not to mention that it's a short bow, works really good in ground blinds...Awsome bow.

01-Sep-09
No changing from my Switchback anytime soon either!

01-Sep-09
I own 2 Switchback LD's and would not trade them for anything, real smooth and no vibration. The best for me.

01-Sep-09
My previous bow was the Legacy. Personally, I loved that bow so much and it performed so well that I never upgraded to the Switchback much for the same reasons people are saying they aren't upgrading from the Switchback now. In the 5 years I had that bow I switched from OK hardwoods and close shots to Kansas croplands. When the Monster came out it advertised something that caught my attention, that being the speed. I went in and shot the Reezen, which added a little speed over my Legacy but not much, and discovered that it was basically a newer version of my Legacy with not much difference. But the Monster was a different bow! I took home the Monster. I went from shooting a 20 yard pin and a 30 yard pin to shooting a 25 yard pin and a 40 yard pin and a 50 yard pin. I know all the arguments about shorter brace height and less accurate and bulky and hard to draw. Truthfully, after shooting the Monster now for several months, I don't experience any of those drawbacks. I scarcely shoot at 20 now because the bow is so ridiculously accurate. I start at 30 with the 25 pin a little hot and shoot accurately out to 60.

At 364fps, my arrow is getting there more quickly, and more accurately than ever. There's a definite advantageous upgrade for me.

01-Sep-09
I bought my switchback new 3 years ago and at the time I thought there was no way to top this bow as far as a combinations of speed and smoothness. And now 3 years later I still haven't shot a bow that feels as good as the switchback to shoot. Mathews got it right when they made the switchback IMO.

01-Sep-09
Stickin with the Switchback... mostly too cheap to try something else and it's working fine.

01-Sep-09
I am not a Mathews person but, if I could take my choice of any of the popular Mathews hunting bows, my choice would be the Switchback. I think the Drenalin was nice but, too light and then the Reezen is a little to aggresive draw for me. I think the the Switchback is a great blend of speed and smooth draw.

01-Sep-09
most of all shoot a mathews

02-Sep-09
Buddy of mine who shoots a SB says he will not change until they go that way again with their design. He tries the latest and greatest every year, and just hands it back to the dealer and says it aint no better or man this doesnt even compare. The speed increase you get is not worth the difference in feel or accuracy he says.

J

02-Sep-09
I was in the market for a new bow a few years ago. I went to my local archery shop and shot the switchback. I didn't like the switchback enough to part with the cash and switch from my old bow. 2 years ago I shot the DXT and I fell in love with it. I plunked down the cash and I have never been happier.

02-Sep-09
I own a Mathews SB XT. and love it the only reason I don't own the DXT is it cost too much. But my Boy, who shoots a Mathews Mustang, wants to up grade. Looks like I'll be getting that DXT soon. Maybe, sure love that XT!

02-Sep-09
I have a SB and have shot the later versions of Mathews bows, but I have yet to like one well enough to make the change.

• Sitka Gear