Ambush 21-Dec-16
Ambush 21-Dec-16
Fuzzy 21-Dec-16
krieger 23-Dec-16
ahunter55 23-Dec-16
12-Feb-10

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
I just returned last night from a successful water buffalo hunt at the Triple S Wildlife Ranch in Calvin, OK. It was a awesome experience to say the least. A water buffalo is very formidable animal to pursue, especially with a bow and arrow. This buff is short of SCI bronze medal, but the horns are almost identical size and shape. Guestimated weight is 1900-2000#.

I also had the opportunity to harvest a kulan which is a beautiful animal.

The equipment I used was a 65# Mathews Z7 bow @ 28", 2317 XX78 Easton shafts with 125 gr. 2-blade Zwickey Black Diamond Eskimo heads. Total arrow weight was 659 gr. Arrow speed was 220 fps. Arrow momentum is the key to hunting a water buffalo

I would like to express my appreciation especially to Beendare and Dollar for their input and the other bowsiters who have shared their experiences of hunting water buffalo which helped to prepare me for this hunt.

12-Feb-10
could you provide more details about the hunt, the shot, etc. not many take one of those. it looks like very open terrain how did you get close enough and how far was the shot.

12-Feb-10
I am at the Eastern Sports Show its great to see someone having fun.Great animal tell the rest when you get a chance.Its snowed twice since we got here.Congrats

12-Feb-10
Sweet!

12-Feb-10
Bou,

Where it died was open plains but the intial hunting was in cedar thickets and thick timber. Shot distances and events were as follows

(1st) 31 yds. (right side boiler room)

(2nd) 41 yds. (right side-gut shot), At this point the animal separated from the herd of 18 animals. We had now "isolated the problem" and was now dealing with 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 nose rather than 36 eyes, 36 ears and 18 noses. We were fortunately able to maintain our position down wind.

(3rd) 25 yds. (the death blow-left side- boiler room), and it then began weaken fast. The animal moved to more open area as if it was trying to catch up with the herd which was now long gone. It dropped its head and began to stagger then lay down on the ground.

Insurance shots were at (4th) 21 yds,(left side which in the excitement I pushed the shot and hit front shoulder and arrow bounced off hide)

(5th) a quick follow up shot 20 yds (left side in boiler room) Bingo!!! The animal then slowly rolled over on its left side and was about to expire. I knew it was getting close to being over as the animal could no longer regain footing.

(6th) I approached the animal and put a 5 yd right mercy shot in the heart. The animal let out a death bellow and it was over. Total ground distance covered from initial shot to death was probably 1 1/2-2 miles.

We first located the herd at 8:30 AM and my first shot was at not until 11:30 AM We got busted twice and then caught back up with herd and made my initial shot at 11:30 A.M. Photos were taken at 2:30 P.M.

It was the hardest animal I have ever tried to kill inspite of the good penetration I was getting: but the animal could just take the blows. I don't understand how- as I was putting arrows in the vital area with good penetration. It think is is just shear will and attitude to survive.

The ranch owner told me that only 6 bowhunters have tried to take a water buff. Four of the buffs had to be finished off with a gun. Only two buffs have been grounded with a bow. Mine is one of them. Please be advise that I was backed up at all times with a high powered rifle.

I was a memorable hunt and an animal which I have a lot of respect for. My hat is off to anyone who takes one and especially with a bow. I am just grateful that God gave me the travel and hunting safety and the desire and determination to take on this animal.

I hope I have answered your questions.

12-Feb-10
wow....tough critters they are.

13-Feb-10
Greg,

Congrats! Look's like you had a blast!

Tim

13-Feb-10
Great story! Congrats on a great hunt!

13-Feb-10
That is great. Where did you hunt (with whom?) thanks for sharing. As someone who has taken a bison over a ton I know what you mean about big animals being able to absorb a lot.

13-Feb-10
Congratulations. Great looking animal.

What kind of penetration were you getting on shots #1 and #3?

If you did it again, would you change anything with your set-up? Draw weight, arrow weight, broadhead, etc.?

Thanks

13-Feb-10
Bou & Stekewood,

Shot #1- I got about 20" penetration Shot #3- I buried it to the fletching

If I were to go for it again, I would build an arrow with about 800 gr. weight with more FOC to ensure deeper penetration.

I would also consider using a Silver Flame broadhead.

The key was pounding shots to both sides of animal to ensure pentration of both lungs, this was why #3 was the lethal blow. I knew I had punctured both lungs punctured at this point.

Of course more draw weight always helps but I know my limitations on draw weight. I just can't pull it like I did when I was younger!

***************************************************** I hunted at the Triple S Wildlife Ranch in Calvin, OK. It has been in business for about 4 years. Owned by Steve Siebert who was with Fed Ex for 20 yrs.

http://www.sss-ranch.com/

This hunt was advertised on Ebay for the daily guide rate of the hunt. I won the bid. It is a place that as for as I am concerned is flying under the radar. Top quality service, top quality and quanity of animals, knowledgable and friendly staff,great food and accomodations. I would recommend

13-Feb-10
Congrats Buff! Sound like alot of fun. Took me 3 "well" placed arrows to anchor my bison and to this day I still shake my head and wonder why. They are just very tough animals. looks like a neat animal. are they the same as that which is found in Australia and Argentina?

13-Feb-10
Cool, sounds like a good winter getaway. Its a bit of a pucker factor when you first shoot them and they are looking for you without going down, Huh!?

Amazing how tough those critters are. Did any of those Zwickeys bend?

Equipment wise, shooting deer and shooting these is just night and day different. Isn't it an amazing sight to see an arrow hit one of these animals??

For the record,on my hunt I used 840gr arrows,80# Allegiance, and tempered steel head- the Steelforce 210

13-Feb-10
What do you do with it now?

13-Feb-10
Congrats For the Buff!! Its a graet Challenge for the bow!

Hawkeye, Thats the same kind of buffalo we have in Argentina, not the same of Autralia..

There are all Water Buffalos, same specie (Bubalus bubalis), but there are 4 main breed (hunting games): Murrah, Mediterraneo, Jafarabadi and Carabao.

The one of the picture is a Mediterraneo Water Buff. Together with the Murrah are the main breeds we have for hunt in Argentina, there are also some Jafarabadi but not easy to find. And the tipical of Autralia is Carabao.

Regards, SBH

WWW.BOWHUNTINGINARGENTINA.COM

13-Feb-10
I kept the tenderloins and backstraps and the rest of the meat was donated to two local homeless shelters. Actual meat yield is approximately 30-35%, so a 2000 lb. animal yields about 650 lbs of edible meat.

Beendare the Zwickeys did not bend.

I took my American bison (Buffalo) with one shot at 25 yds with a 62# Switchback with just regular 5575 Gold Tip shafts and a Magnus I broadhead, and got total penetration with arrow lodged in opposite shoulder blade. The water buff is a much tougher critter.

01-Aug-16

01-Aug-16
Pat,

Either the DNC or the Russians have hacked the Bowsite website. This is a thread from around 2010 !!!

Tks, Buffalo1

19-Dec-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Buff1-I had never seen this post. I also hunted there for a buff. I did not get it done & was never within bow range. I was using a 800 gr. Aluminum Arrow with a 3 Blade Rocky Mountain Ironhead I made up (shaft in a shaft), 70# Darton but never got to see how it would do. On my last hour of my last day I used my back up guides rifle & dropped a Cow at 225 yds. My 1st ever biggame animal with a gun in 60 years of bowhunting. I took a Cow as I "did" want the meat & was my main reason for going there. We definitely enjoyed the meat but was tougher than we expected.. I also took a Bison a few years prior at a different location & it was 60# Darton, complete pass thru, lungs at 42 yards & a 550 grain Aluminum shaft total arrow weight. BIG difference in animals. Triple S was a great place & the staff was awesome for sure.. Oh, Being 8 years past military (Navy/Marine + Army) I am aware of "recoil" but I DID get scoped. As I squeezed that trigger, I thought, your to close & it's gonna scope you..

19-Dec-16

You can't see a thing today.

19-Dec-16
John,

Glad you were successful in get your freezer filled- just sorry you did not score with your bow.

Water buffs are very tough animals. They are also some delicious table fare.

19-Dec-16
I have seen those up close(behind a fence),no way I would attempt it with a bow.Owner of the preserve had a client put two .375 shots in the boiler room and it ran off!

19-Dec-16
I would love to hunt one with my bow!!! Sounds like a great challenge....

19-Dec-16
Damn Democrats !

19-Dec-16
May be old post but I have never seen it, sounds like a fun hunt . Forrest

19-Dec-16

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Seems like none of the bovine that are built for tough conditions die fast or easy.

I put one arrow into this guy and couldn't get close enough for another shot. Short legs and a wide stance helps them on their feet. He mostly just stood around for about twenty minutes with blood trickling from his chest. He moved on whenever we got within a hundred yards. Finally one leg buckled and down he went!

20-Dec-16
Oh my god were actually shooting livestock now.........

"And the wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws"

20-Dec-16
Ambush, that looks like a Texas Longhorn?

20-Dec-16
Sureshot; no it's a Highland bull. A friend has them and they live in the bush year round. This one was moved to another area and he just smashed the fence and took off. A few weeks later, he was frequenting a farmers field where his beef cows pastured. They asked me if I would kill him. We killed another one the next year with a bow. That one walked about a half mile before giving up with a low lung shot. Last year they shot one with a 45-70 and he soaked up five shots and died running.

20-Dec-16
BoonROTO . You clearly have little experience, so I'll help you out.

When they lay on the ground like that, not breathing, they are "dead"stock. Not "live"stock, as you alluded.

20-Dec-16
But when you shot, it was live.

20-Dec-16
As a kid grandma needed free ranging chickens killed so she butcher um..I pretended to be feed bear ,hunting ostriches...I was alive stock killer too bro...

21-Dec-16
Ambush, at least you have a great sense of humor, lol. Do they taste like chicken?

21-Dec-16
Haha, boonROTO. No, not like chicken at all! Too bad.

This herd lives wild, act wild and they eat wild. Kind'a dark and range'y meat. More like an old bull moose. The owner doesn't let bulls or steers to get more than four years old. They become "difficult".

21-Dec-16

Ambush's embedded Photo
The spread on this guy is about five feet. But the head is so big , the horns look short! His wife was not happy about it coming home.
Ambush's embedded Photo
The spread on this guy is about five feet. But the head is so big , the horns look short! His wife was not happy about it coming home.

21-Dec-16
Awesome! That's a tough critter (and huge, wow!)

23-Dec-16
Those are cool looking! That's the kind of critter a guy needs to be doing broadhead testing, IMO.

They have a heck of a pelt on them too!

23-Dec-16
A year or so ago I saw a TV show where they were hunting "wild cattle" in Mexico. These guys did not take them lightly as they were extremely wary & MEAN. They were hunting them in cactus & crap so thick they could barely get a clear shot, even at close range. The guide & hunter had MUCHO respect for their attitude.

• Sitka Gear