WapitiBob 18-Oct-23
Tracker 20-Oct-23
Buglmin 21-Oct-23
Matt 21-Oct-23
Corax_latrans 21-Oct-23
Ambush 22-Oct-23
Buffalo1 24-Oct-23
04-Jun-10
As long as I don't let the shafts soak in acetone for an extended period of time, is there any problem in using acetone to remove fletching/ insert adhesive from a carbon shaft?

04-Jun-10
Use it all the time to clean my shafts after scraping off my wraps and fletchings. Have never ever had a problem.

04-Jun-10
same here been using it for years and not a problem

04-Jun-10
99% of the carbon shafts out there have a coating that will not be effected by acetone but why take a chance. Never soak arrows in acetone if it gets inside there is no coating and your in big trouble, usually it will soften the shafts. Scraping of the fletching and the glue residue with a dull knife blade is the way to go then you can clean quickly with acetone if you wish. Use a clean cloth and rub a small area if you see any black stop as you probably have arrows that the coating was removed from after the carbon cured, some companies due this for cosmetic reasons. As stated denatured alcohol is the way to go just make sure you let the shafts dry completely, then to be 100% safe before fletching. I was them with dish soap and hot water then rinse well and let dry. The only time I loose a vane is when the group is so tight that a second arrow removes the vane.

Stay well!!

04-Jun-10
Rub, don't soak. If rubbing doesn't work, scrape with a blade.

05-Jun-10
- - - - UPDATE - - - -

I stopped by the local archery shop to pick up some inserts and was asking the guy behind the counter about acetone and removing damaged vanes. He said not to use acetone since it could damage the shaft and showed me how to remove a vane by quickly sliding a razor up and down the shaft to remove the vane and glue. I was very impressed. I had trouble in the past because I was trying to push and cut the vane and glue (almost like whittling). Quickly moving the razor up and down the shaft is the trick.

So when I got home, I put a fresh razor in the utility knife and got after 'em. I was able to effectively and efficiently remove the vanes without damaging the shafts. When I was done, I put some Commet on a wet paper towel and scrubbed the shafts to clean them and remove any remaining glue. I ran water over them and wiped them down with another paper towel under the water when I was done to rinse them. I'll let them dry over night and tomorrow I'll refletch them WITHOUT using any acetone. I was concerned about acetone damaging the shafts but was unable to remove the old glue up until now. Thanks for all the comments.

05-Jun-10
NO ACETONE !! On some carbons it can damage the shaft....you guys are lucky it hasnt on yours .....

Hogwash

The resin is cured

What do you think your bow mfg uses to clean their glass limbs before they paint and dip them ??

05-Jun-10
"Hogwash"

"The resin is cured"

"What do you think your bow mfg uses to clean their glass limbs before they paint and dip them ??"

Ditto.

I'd like to know where you guys that say acetone will hurt the carbon arrows are getting that specific information from.

wiping your carbon arrow shafts with acetone will not hurt them. This is standard cleaning procedure in shops that build components using composits such as epoxy resin and carbon fiber.

In fact I will bet my last dime, that the shops building carbon arrows purchase acetone by the 55 gallon drum, specifically to clean cured and uncured resin.

05-Jun-10
I'm sorry if my response sounds like it was directed to JTV directly, that was not my intention. The no Acetone myth has been around for years. It's propagated by the arrow mfg's providing a warning against it's use. The warning is for their safety, not because Acetone will dissolve the resin before your eyes. If you soak a carbon arrow for months, yes, it may eventually affect the bond between the layers. It will not dissolve.

If you don't want to use Acetone, don't use it, but it won't hurt the shaft. Different strokes for different folks. People still use instant adhesive or Epoxy to glue in components.

05-Jun-10
Likewise, my comment was not intended to single out any one person, but was directed as a general response to the idea that's perpetuated here that somehow acetone is the kiss of death to carbon arrows...it just aint so.

06-Jun-10
As others have stated, fully cured epoxy resin formulations will not be harmed by short term exposure to acetone.

06-Jun-10
I have been wiping them for 15 years no problems.LH

06-Jun-10
Been using acetone for years, first on my acc's and now on Axis ST's. Never been a problem. I look at it this way, acetone has a low flash point, or it evaporates rather quickly. By the time I am done wiping one down and pick up another, the shaft is dry.

06-Jun-10
In the construction field, epoxy based products are what is used in laboratories and other areas with high chemical usage. It is the only thing that will with stand them. Epoxy paint, epoxy flooring, etc. Think I'd have to agree with the above statements. Epoxy is almost non destructive. Now if you have fiberglass resin based items, acetone will disolve those type of resins. If in doubt, pour some into a glass container (acetone) and drop in a piece of carbon arrow and let it soak for a few days. You will see some discoloration of the acetone if the shaft starts to breakdown.

I always use a sharp razor knife to clean my shafts. The dull knife idea is used by those with poor hand eye control... safe... but slow. They say a potato peeler works well also. I haven't tried one thpough, the razor knife works really well for me. They don't stay sharp long however. That carbon is really abrasive and dulls them quickly.

06-Jun-10
Wiping is fine guys. Just don't soak carbon in acetone to remove or soften old glue. Easton has spent more money than any of us make in a year researching what to use when cleaning and preping arrow shafts. They put it in BOLD print on their arrow packages as well as their vane packages. "DO NOT USE ACETONE ON ARROW SHAFTS" A direct quote from Easton.

06-Jun-10
I have been using acetone or denatured alcohol on my shafts, after scraping off the fletching or wraps with a knife or razor, with no problems; just time consuming.

I recently learned a better way, especially with wraps; if you are using wraps take a knife/razor and cut a thin strip the full length of the wrap. Take a hair dryer and warm up the wrap and it will easily peel off with fletching intact.Once the wrap is removed take a paper towel with GOO GONE XTREME (Wal Mart) on it and simply wipe the adhesive off no soaking, it's that simple. If you are not using wraps scrape the fletching off with a knife/razor and us the GOO GONE XTREME to remove the adhesive it works

06-Jun-10
Goo gone works great for removing adhesive, but it's petroleum based which means it will leave a residue. You should wipe the goo gone with alcohol or acetone to get rid of the goo gone residue.

Carbon Tech states not to soak the arrow shafts in any solvent,

Carbon Impact..."Warning: Never soak carbon shaft in harsh chemicals like acetone, paint thinner or MEK."

Carbon Express..."(WARNING: Never soak carbon shafts in any harsh chemical, including acetone.) MEK can be used on carbon shafts without damage to the finish if it is rubbed on the shaft with a clean rag"

Beman..."Thoroughly clean the inside of the shaft with a cotton swab wetted with 91% to 99% isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol, which can contain oil)."

Couldn't find anything on the Easton Website.

Obviously, they don't want you soaking the arrow shafts in anything. frankly, I wouldn't even soak them in water.

If there is a concern about wiping the arrow shaft with acetone it's from the standpoint that it can wipe off pretty finishes or logos, which doesnt effect the integrity.

07-Jun-10
Page 22 of the Easton tuning guide, or on the back of the easton vane packages.

07-Jun-10
Have used acetone on carbon graphite arrow shafts and golf shafts for a long time. Have experienced no problems on either type of shafts. Please educate me with facts.

07-Jun-10
Somebody obviously did something stupid that involved carbon arrows and acetone...probably soaked them for a year, lit it on fire and possibly drank a shot or two. So now the companies are lawyering up and being overly protective.

You watch...eventually someone will try something stupid with milk and you'll start seeing the same disclaimers with milk.

08-Jun-10
I use a potato peeler to scrape off most of the adhesive. Then apply some acetone to a paper towl or rag and wrap around the shaft for 5-10 seconds. Start twisting and 99% of the adhesive will be off. Follow up with some denatured alcohol.

Ive done it this way for years and with multiple manufacturers with no problems.

Note that there is no "soaking" involved. "Soaking" is a whole different story whan merely applying and wiping for a few seconds.

bb is absolutely correct, the manufacturers use CYA statements all the time. My lawnmower has labels all over it very clearly stating its not a good idea to stick your hand underneath it while its running. DUH!

Nor should you "soak" shafts in acetone for extended periods of time.

08-Jun-10
I've got about 8 dozen carbons I'm going to have to throw away now that I've ruined them by cleaning with acetone. Man that's going to cost!

08-Jun-10
The key word is SOAK. Acetone is fine on carbon shafts when wiped on then off. The carbon manufactures in fact all use it for this purpose.

08-Jun-10
Been using acetone for over a decade. Never a problem with any carbon shaft I've bought.

Wipe'em down quick and follow up with a clean dry paper towel.

08-Jun-10
Im weird i use denatured alcohol.

17-Oct-23
I've been using acetone to soak carbon arrows since they first came out and never had a problem including Easton shafts. If you just soak them long enough to soften the glue it should be no problem. Carbon arrow shafts are heat bonded on a steel rod 6ft or more in length so a little soak should be fine.

17-Oct-23
90% alcohol works….why disregard mnfr recommendations?

17-Oct-23
Those curved linoleum knives work great to remove vanes.

17-Oct-23
I no longer use acetone, I switched to MEK.

17-Oct-23
All I have ever used is acetone for prepping new shafts, as well as priming vane bases on the old flex fletch vanes, if a refletch is needed I cut the old vane off and soak in acetone to cut the cyanacrolyte glue so I don’t have to scrape it off have done it on hundreds of Gold Tip shafts with no issue, can’t speak for other arrow makes however

17-Oct-23
In fact on Gold Tips arrow university Tim Gillingham uses acetone during his arrow building and refletching video and specifically says it will not hurt GT shafts

17-Oct-23
When using acetone to soak the shaft in for a short amount of time, which is completely safe, make sure to remove the nock. Acetone will ruin the nock, it will not harm the carbon shaft. My routine is to remove nock, after scraping the vanes off down the base/glue residue, put the shaft into the acetone bottle and let soak for a few minutes, take the shaft out, scrape a bit more if needed as the acetone will soften the hardened glue, soak again for a few minutes, remove and wipe off the rest with a paper towel. Reinstall the nock and refletch. Simple as that! I do hundreds a year with this method. Not a single issue ever.

17-Oct-23
Finger nail polish is a very mild acetone, and smells a whole lot better than Rubbing Alcohol if working on arrows indoors.

18-Oct-23
As a caveat, Easton FMJ's have a bonded core. If I shot those I would wipe, not soak, but still use acetone or MEK. Nothing wrong with alcohol either.

18-Oct-23

Beendare's Link
FWIW, Solvent expose is bad news…..not exactly a news flash…we all knew this intuitively but now there are studies on it.

I know a guy that did furniture finishing for years with all of these solvents…all kinds of health problems in his 40’s…and dead at 51.

My link is to a science based site discussing the effects of solvent exposure.

MEK and Acetone is bad news guys……plus they do weaken the resins in carbon shafts….though I haven’t seen it seriously affect any carbons with a quick wiping.

18-Oct-23
Only in California though, lol

18-Oct-23

20-Oct-23
Been using it for years with no problem.

21-Oct-23
lol... some of these comments.. Several arrow manufactures use actetone to clean shafts, and recommend it to clean shafts. And several vane companies, that have primer pens, are actually acetone. No wonder guys need glues like Gorilla glue to get vanes to stick to shafts. And in all respect, Who would be dumb enough to leave arrow shafts soaking in any chemical? As for the local archery shop telling you not to use actetone, wonder how many guys go back in to have fletching redone...

21-Oct-23
A decade or so I switched to wraps and will never go back to gluing fletching directly to shafts. Too much work to reflect and have ruined a couple of shafts cutting the fletchings off. That solved my problem of having to get glue off the shaft itself. Spinning an arrow for 5 seconds over a stove burner on low and wraps peel off in no time flat.

21-Oct-23
I just scrubbed up a dozen and a half myself…. Good project on a rainy day…

22-Oct-23
I only ever use sandpaper and isopropyl alcohol on carbon shafts and vane bases. Still have fletches on shafts from twenty years ago that you can’t pull off with pliers.

I also never use vanes that require the manufacture’s primers either. Seems like a racket to me.

24-Oct-23
I have used acetone for cleaning purposes on graphite arrow shaft and golf shafts for years- never an issue.

• Sitka Gear