lewis 31-Jan-11
Mark Watkins 01-Feb-11
Herdbull 04-Feb-11
24-Jan-11
Great article!

24-Jan-11
Is this information found in the book?

24-Jan-11
juneuhunt - I have one chapter in my book dedicated to rattling, so there is some overlap with this article. The rest of the book describes my journey toward self-reliance which I describe other whitetail tactics, but it is mainly about solo bowhunting Out West, and Alaska for mule deer, bear, elk, and moose. Thanks for your interest, Mike.

24-Jan-11
Good luck with your book. We tend to be very hesitant to get pro-active with whitetails but I am "game" for becoming more aggressive in the right situations and have begun to try to "make things happen"! Thanks for sharing. Charlie

24-Jan-11
Mike, do the deer seem any more apt to spot the movement of the horns hanging at ground level? If so, how have they reacted to seeing them?

24-Jan-11
I add slack line so the antlers are really lying motionless on the ground as the deer approaches. I have had them come up and smell the tore up earth where the antlers lay. When their eyes are obstructed a little, I have tickled the tines with deer as close as ten yards. Mike

24-Jan-11
Great info Mike, thanks for sharing!

24-Jan-11
In my opinion, pretty much right on target. I have been calling and using antler engagement for close to 30 years and with just about the amount of success I would expect for the deer density in the areas I hunted.

24-Jan-11

Herdbull's embedded Photo
Serial grunts brought this 10-pointer within range. I filmed him in velvet during the summer and aged him at 5 1/2 years old . Mike

24-Jan-11

My brother Mark took this buck with a flint broadhead and birch arrow shot from a 75# longbow after a grunt lured it within range. MIke

24-Jan-11

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Good read Mike,

Been doing simular stuff for many years. This buck was grunted over and when he spotted the buck decoy, he jumped the fence and raced to the decoy. An arrow caught him as he approached unaware of me 18 yards away.

I have said many times, I rather leave my bow at home than my deer call, ie, grunts, bleats, and rattles.

"Don't leave home without it", for sure. Paul

24-Jan-11
Mike: Nice hat on that above picture. How long is the right G2 on that buck above? It looks over a yard long. You had to position him just right to get that photo didn't you? Ha. UB

24-Jan-11
I've never hunted whitetails before so all this is very new and exciting to me. I have read Mike's book and would very, very highly recommend it!

24-Jan-11
Barry-If I call just right, will you come fix my neck?

Actually, they are going to take it apart Feb. 10. I hope they get it back together right :)

Good to see yu are still around. J. Sloan

25-Jan-11
I call 'em in using my own voice. I'm at my best in the AM.

25-Jan-11
Nice write up Mr. Mitten. Lots of good info there.

25-Jan-11
Very informative article. I have considered the "puppet rattle" at least a version of it. I've thought of just tying onto a branch to make some ground noise as a confidence builder when the target deer doesn't see the deer calling or sparring. MO

25-Jan-11
Great stuff Mike. Can't wait to see the new video!

25-Jan-11
Mike I made mine today, I also drilled a hole about 4 inches from the tips on each antler and put a 15 inch string through them so when i become the puppet master and pull up they kinda close on each other, it sounds awesome great idea, i made it right after I ready your article. Also, you said it works in the late season, will it work this late and what do you suggest as I still have 6 days left and plan on going 2 more days. HURRY with any advice please:)

25-Jan-11
Excellent article! I've tried calling(rattling,grunting)over the years where I hunt but haven't gotten any bucks to commit yet. I think it's the area I hunt at(public land in N.E. Illinois)that gets hunted pretty hard all season. I just figure the bucks are extra leery of calling and are pretty much wise to it. I keep trying though. I like the antlers on the end of a rope idea.

25-Jan-11

MDCRazy man As long as bucks still have antlers and think that a doe or a yearling fawn has come in heat, you still have a chance for it to work. Of course like any calling, it works best if you have a ballanced deer herd with regurd to age structure and buck-to-doe ratios. But bucks are still "Bucks" as long as their testosterone holds up. Ha! I took this 16-pt buck in late season.

25-Jan-11
The VERY first time I tried Mike's puppet rattling technique, I brought in my best buck ever 300 yards down a fence row between two bean fields. He came in wanting to KILL whatever bucks dared to be in his area. I sent his tooth down for the cross sectional aging and it came back at 5 1/2. So much for rattling not working on mature bucks.

26-Jan-11
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Not quite Mitten size, but a VERY memorable hunt and I am very proud of him!

26-Jan-11
Beauty of a buck Steve!

27-Jan-11
Mike, when do DVD 's expect be mailed?

27-Jan-11
SJJ We hit a snag in the Essential Encounters duplicating, so it may not be for two weeks. We are so sorry for the wait, but really appreciate all your support. We want to deliver the best product we can produce. Thanks, Mike

29-Jan-11
The majority of my deer have been called in,including does.I always have several calls with me.I've seen deer ignore my call only to run into a different call after switching from one to another.

29-Jan-11
I have tried this rattling set up but never with more than two sets of antlers. With two, a lot of movement is needed to get em "rattlin". Adding more antlers makes a lot of sence. That's a great tip Mike.

30-Jan-11
I tried my puppet of antlers and it worked well sound wise, I tried on January 27 and after about 4 tries my rope broke so my pile of antlers lay at the bottom of the tree. I did not have any deer come in until about 4 hours later but the does were scared and on the move heads down. I have tried rattling, tinkling, and I call a lot but the good ole doe bleet has been my best call. I appreciate the idea and i will definetely test next year. Sounds great, I have just always had a hard time with rattling and success. On nov 17 last year I had a big fork horn and a six pointer and 10 does in a field about 80 yards from me, the bucks were paying the does little mind and I just wanted to see what they would do so I rattled for a sequence and grunted, and every single deer in sight ran like crazy, after that I kind of wrote it off, since all I have seen it do is scare deer more often than not.

31-Jan-11
20 years ago, I tied with decoy string a line to some brush on the ground to make up for the land of ground noise while rattling. Problem was I would be rattling the antlers with my hands, and using a leg to manipulate the ground line and probably looked like an idiot up there. Why I never thought to do as Mike has--tying the antlers together and doing the whole thing at the base of the tree and with just one hand needed--is beyond me. But that's why Mike kills the bucks he does.

By the way, Mike's book is motivating in many ways and comes highly recommended by me.

31-Jan-11
Very enjoyable and plan on ordering the book and dvd

01-Feb-11
Mike, A great article....adding value to Bowsite....it is much appreciated and look forward to adding two sheds to make "the puppateer!"

04-Feb-11
Thanks Nick. We just got dumped with 20" snow and heavy drifts. This should consentrate deer and make finding sheds easier once we get the first melt off. I will be reading a writing some myself this weekend. Mike

• Sitka Gear