patdel 09-Jul-14
>>>--arrow1--> 09-Jul-14
Cheesehead Mike 09-Jul-14
'Ike' (Phone) 09-Jul-14
brunse 09-Jul-14
20-Jul-11

jeck66's embedded Photo
jeck66's embedded Photo
Can't wait for upcoming hunt, so I thought I would post this question to kill some time. I am new to elk hunting. Does the outline look like that would be the kill zone of a broadside elk?

What would you say the approximate dimensions of the vitals on a decent sized bull elk are?

I put the dot where I would think the best aiming spot would be. What are your guys' thoughts?

20-Jul-11

Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
I aim 4-5" lower and to the right a little, at the bunched muscle. Your aimpoint doesn't leave much margin for error

There have been a ton of great threads on this, with diagrams, cutaways, etc.. Do a search and you'll find more than you'll ever need for reference.

20-Jul-11
Search the Forums - there are a Ton of threads and information out there. BB provides some great insight into shot placement.

I'd aim right where Jaquomo says also.

20-Jul-11
My aimpoint would be exactly between your dot and High Country's star...

20-Jul-11

elkmtngear's Link
Here is just one of the many long threads on this (see link)

20-Jul-11
Excellent. Looks like I would have been off a little. Thanks for the info.

The link looks real good. Thanks

20-Jul-11
He's actually quartered away a bit. I like the elevation of the star with the windage of the dot.

20-Jul-11

hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
Your aimpoint definitely kills the elk. I don't like High Country's aim point because it is on the back edge of the bone. It will put him down in seconds but there is no room for error forward. I think your lower left corner is too far back that low. I've drawn in a fair representation of the bone structure and what I believe to be the outline of your kill zone. The cross is where I aim on broadside animals. I prefer some room for error in all directions.

Unless they are quartered quite a bit more than the photo, I aim 1/3 of the way up straight above the knuckle on deer and will do the same for elk given the chance

20-Jul-11
Mine would be right where Cory put his .Pretty shure any of the dots posted above would result in meat in the pot tho...

20-Jul-11

wilbur's Link
Go back and play the interactive "shoot the elk" game. Great practice and helps with picking the right spot.

20-Jul-11

Waterfowler's embedded Photo
Waterfowler's embedded Photo
Forward of the crease, 1/3 to halfway up.

20-Jul-11
I don't think he's quartered much at all. His butt is slightly, but he's turned his front end toward the hunter slightly so that he's slightly bunched up in the front.

20-Jul-11
Wilbur - Your link is not working.

Wow, I have to say I learned alot from BB's posts.

20-Jul-11

KWest141's embedded Photo
KWest141's embedded Photo
I would prolly shoot for the blue dot. What yall think?

20-Jul-11
HC, don't you mean the hair to the right? :)

20-Jul-11

wilbur's Link
try this

20-Jul-11
Awesome link Wilbur. Thanks

20-Jul-11
I prefer Hobbes' cross location or the KW blue dot. Lower 1/3rd... If you hit them low you get quick kill, a better blood trail, and less of a chance of hitting them too high if they dip on the shot. High shots on elk are asking for trouble. They can sometimes go a-ways on high lung hit without much blood to trail.

20-Jul-11
What I get from BB's posts is that he would rather err on the side of caution. And "caution" would mean, if you miss, it would be better to hit bone (let the critter live another day) rather than hit guts (the animal dies and the shooters chance of loosing it goes WAY up).

Plus BB is aiming for THE BLOOD VESSELS as opposed to the "center of the lungs" which would result in the fastest death.

For me, I still have a hard time not aiming for the crease because BB's shot will result in bloody shoulder meat. So, when I bowhunt I'll aim for BB's target and when I gunhunt, I'll aim for the crease.

20-Jul-11

BUGLELK's Link
Aiming low into the crease definitely takes away the margin for error. I'd personally stay up closer to 1/2 way up the body (just below the half way point) and right on the crease or just a sliver inside it. You have a solid 6 inches of margin by aiming there and don't have to worry about the leg bone which you risk hitting if you "aim" low and into the shoulder area and don't hit the spot.

By aiming there you have a good 12" diameter of vitals. If you aim lower and into the shoulder, your diameter gets much smaller.

Corey Elk101.com

20-Jul-11
That elk is slightly quartering away, which is a little deceiving. I like Corey's POC except on the back edge of the crease.

20-Jul-11

ROW-BEAR's Link
Well, I just got this email from the Colorado DOW , talkign about shot placement coincidentally..... he's what that state talls all it's hunters.. interesting (full article is the supporting link) "I know the title of this article is Archery Shot Placement and I am finally getting to that discussion, but without understanding the important point I discussed earlier in the article, you cannot “place the arrow” where you want it to go. Elk are big, tough animals. An elk can survive a poorly placed shot. A good shot is one that will penetrate both lungs and cause a maximum amount of blood loss, rapidly. A broadside or slightly quartering away shot is preferable. Some bad shots definitely include an animal quartering toward you. Here the front leg will obstruct your double lung / heart shot. Don’t take this shot. Another shot to avoid is straight-on. Here you have no chance of a double-lung shot, and have to pray for a heart shot. Yes it may be hard to pass up that one shot opportunity you’ve had all season, but you will feel better later on knowing you did the right thing. So where do you aim to get that double lung shot? Pick a spot about one-third to one-half way up the animal, right behind the front leg. This is the dead center of the vital area. Find this point and fix it in your mind. Aim for this specific spot, don’t aim for the animal. Aim small, miss small"

20-Jul-11
The frontal shot is an entirely separate topic!

I aim where BB suggests...straight up the leg (broadside) so the arrow is headed for the top of the heart. Closest representation of my aiming point on this thread is High Country...although i may aim just a hair higher than that.

20-Jul-11
I always aim for the opposite shoulder. Even when the elk seems to be broadside, visualize the other side. No matter the angle, if you hit the off shoulder, your arrow tracked straight through the vitals on the way.

20-Jul-11

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
No "Pick a spot" thread is complete without the skeleton picture. Do you trust your broad head??

20-Aug-11
love these threads? always informative and great teaching tools...are the older ones from the photographer guy in Utah (can't remember his thread handle) still around?

20-Aug-11
I love that elk skeleton, gives you a real look at what your shooting at.

20-Aug-11

elkoholic's embedded Photo
here is a good pick of what you are aiming at

20-Aug-11
here is where i would aim. this shot would catch the top of the heart where the main arteries leave it and also catch the lungs. 20 second max before he piles up!

20-Aug-11

guess a pic would help

20-Aug-11

CurveBow's Link
The link below is to an elk shot placement guide.... I hope it works!

>>>>>----------->

21-Aug-11

on your pic I would aim here on a broadside shot. would catch the top of the heart and both lungs.

22-Aug-11
To the OP. I think if any elk hunter hit that bull where you put your dot they would be thrilled and sure he would be down in a hurry. I know I would be. Good luck on your first elk hunt. I will be going on my first one this fall too.

22-Aug-11

Norseman's embedded Photo
Norseman's embedded Photo
This bull made it a whopping 25 yards. shoot em in the V area. you got more room forward if you keep your shot in the lower third.

22-Aug-11
High Country Your star is on the thickest bone in the leg. you need to be back about 4 inches

22-Aug-11
elkoholic, with all due respect to you and my friend BB., the cutaway shown is of moose vitals reduced in size and superimposed over an elk body. The lungs and especially the liver are much too large in that cutaway, nearly 1.5X the actual size. Gives a bit of a false impression of the true size of the vitals.

Take a look at the diagram I posted in the second post on this thread and you'll see what I mean. But your aiming spot on that cutaway is right on.

22-Aug-11
i'm shooting thru the V. so far 1 mule deer, 1 whitetail and 2 cow elk thru the V with an average of about a 25 yard recovery on each animal. i like Norsemans photo and elkoholics blue dot.

22-Aug-11
If everyone could shoot where they were aiming, there would not be any issues. Most everyone has a good idea of where to hit. But you have to look at errors occurring. Wind, deflection, animal movements and jerks, etc. I choose inside the V to reduce wounding issues. I used to shoot front or center lung. There are bad issues there for high, low or back shots. Not so with the V. I have several inches of "play" in the V. Plus, most animals dont back up to flee, causing a shoulder hit. They bolt down or forward, which still puts the arrow in the heart lung area. Thanks to BB, since Ive starting aiming in the "V", animals have fallen in sight with more more blood loss.

23-Aug-11

jeck66's embedded Photo
jeck66's embedded Photo
Here is what I worked up to figure the dimensions of an elk. I used AutoCAD to size the elk. I used approx. 29" for the depth of the chest. That seemed like the middle ground on some of the discussions on the size of a bull elk in other forums. I then added vitals to figure out the dimensions. If you agree with my vitals outline, the kill zone of an elk is approx. 14"x16".

23-Aug-11

jeck66's embedded Photo
jeck66's embedded Photo
This shows the margin of error if you shoot for the inside of the "V".

It gives you approx. a 7" margin of error around your aiming point. There is more error back and up on the elk though. That would be important for one the ducks or moves forward on the shot... as was said by someone earlier.

23-Aug-11

jeck66's embedded Photo
jeck66's embedded Photo
This shows the margin of error if you shoot for the "crease" in the shoulder.

It gives a much larger margin of error. Approx. a 13" margin of error (or 6.5" to each side of your aiming point). I would think anything in the yellow circle will kill an elk.

I think I will aim for more of the crease. It may not drop in front of me like the "V" shot, but I wouldn't think the tracking job would be too long with that aiming point. Also, it gives me a little room to work with when "bull fever" kicks in.

I just figured this would be a good way to look at a few different aiming points. What do you guys think?

23-Aug-11
jeck - best advice i have seen yet

23-Aug-11
I've been elk hunting for about 15 years and had never really thought about that 'V' of boney structures this way. After reading this thread though, I tried something new tonight. I spray painted the bone structure, or 'V', on the backside of my broadhead target just a bit smaller than the anatomical real thing. I aimed for the crease or just a little inside of it and found that my misses were still fatal hits, all of them. This helped me quite a bit mentally with my confidence 5 days before the season opener.

When shooting at small circles on my target I was beating myself up for misses that weren't all that bad as it turns out.

If you're not shooting at 3D targets give it a try, it might help some.

24-Aug-11
Jeck, The picture and illustration really shows the real deal. Nice job! Good luck to everyone this fall!

24-Aug-11
Jeck....AWESOME job! Thanks for putting it into "engineering", factual terms that mean something.

24-Aug-11
cool beans Jeck!!!

24-Aug-11
Great topic, great posts, great pics, great illustrations. I like the old thread with BBs advice as well. I hope everyone reads this one.

25-Aug-11
Thanks guys - glad you like it.

This is what a guy does when he can't get the upcoming hunt out of his mind.

Does anyone think that any broadhead in the bigger yellow circle wouldn't result in a fairly easy recovery of an elk? I ask because I am new to the elk hunting game and have no experience recovering an arrowed elk.

Does having the actual dimensions and margin or error change a persons thoughts on the best spot to aim? A 13" circle is pretty damn big!

Hope everyone has a great hunt. Two more weeks for me, and it is on!

25-Aug-11
Corey - Elk101.com,

I just re-read through the whole thread. I guess I am showing exactly what you said. I think you are dead on after seeing it on paper. Good advice Corey! Thanks

25-Aug-11
I hope all the guys considering taking frontal shots now take a good look at the skeleton photo Charlie posted above.

Jeck's illustration is right on the money, too.

26-Aug-11
ttt for 12Yards

26-Aug-11
Can someone please put Jeck's elk about 20 yards in front of me next week so I can try out my shot placement?

I gotta stop reading these elk threads I'm getting to hyped.

26-Aug-11
Thanks T in Wyo.

26-Aug-11

BUGLELK's Link
Great images jeck66! The more margin of error, the better, in my opinion. The goal is to put a well-placed shot into the vitals, which any shot within the circles will do. However, when things don't go perfectly (which often happens when hunting elk) it's nice to have a little "buffer" to get the same results. Not saying to shoot tight into the pocket is bad, it just takes a bit more confidence.

These threads are always entertaining, but hopefully educational as well. The bottom line is that no one should take a shot they aren't comfortable or confident in. Keep those thoughts as a guideline and success will prevail.

Many thanks, Corey Elk101.com

26-Aug-11
Angle ......... 5 degrees or 55 degrees Up or DOwn.. also determines my aim point .

26-May-14
Nother good one...

27-May-14

BUGLELK's Link
Scoot,

I agree on the comment about all lung areas being created equal. However, my experiences with high lung hits have been pretty lethal. A high, "clip the top of the lung" shot...not so much, but the solid, in-the-lung shot allows the blood to pool into the lungs and causes a quick kill.

High/back lung shots are less lethal, as are low/back lung shots. Most shots within 4" of the crease (high or low) have resulted in fast kills. As the arrow drifts back from there, I've seen some long bloodtrails.

I might pull down 2-3" from vertical center and hold right on the crease, and it usually produces a short bloodtrail, even if I'm off by 4-6". If I aim for the lower 1/3 and hit 6" low, I have nothing by brisket blood to follow, and usually not an elk at the end of the trail.

If I'm 20 yards broadside, I'm aiming for the spot 1/3 the way up. If I'm out at 40 yards and judging the distance (more chance to miss the mark by a few inches), I aim for the spot with the greatest margin of error. Regardless, I pick a single spot and aim for it, rather than aiming at an "area".

3 more months!

Corey

27-May-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
If I was 20 yards away, and had this shot,I would want my arrow to hit somewhere in the white dot. I personally don't shoot 40 or 50 yards at critters. I like to keep things close. If a guy can hit within the area of the white, way more times than not, you will see the animal go down before he can get out of sight. Most won't live more than 3-4 seconds.

But as angles change, so must your point of aim. But I would want my arrow to pass through the middle of the bull through the white, if one could extend the white all the way through the body. So on a quartering away shot, I would aim same height, but back farther to where my arrow would pass through the extend white area in the middle of the bull. Same results. If it was quartering to me, then one must wait until the quarter is near straight on the get an arrow through that area, if that makes sense!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

28-May-14
Thanks Buglelk and BB; when bowhunting African plains game, we were told to aim straight up the front leg and no more than a third of the way up the body...not far off where BB has his white spot?

Now to try and print replicate BB's shot placement on as realistic a target as I can find...

09-Jun-14
TTT

11-Jun-14
Bump +1

BB/Jeck66...will either/both of you kindly allow me to reproduce your photographs for my own [sole personal and private] use, so I can recreate the 'sweetspot' as a paper target, which I can use to practice shot placement?

Certainly from Jeck's graphics which have dimensions, I reckon I can enlarge the photos to a scale of 1:1 which is near enough the size of the deer vitals or spots faces on my Rinehart 'Rhinoblock' target i.e. 16" wide by 13" tall.

Many thanks in advance.

Good luck and good hunting

Kenneth (A British Bowhunter and Proud of It)

11-Jun-14
Correction: the lifesize vitals as per Jeck's photos would fit the bullseye face of my Rhinoblock target i.e. 16" x 16"

11-Jun-14
Barty, go for it. I took that photo myself. Have fun with it.

I printed the body life-sized at work and attached it to the the insulation foam board... then put my big bag target behind it and my block target. It is fun to take some shots at a life size target. Definitely a confidence builder. The target has a one year life tho...

12-Jun-14
That's very kind of you Jeck; much appreciated

I'm always conscious when shooting that the vitals on my Rhinoblock target are approx 9" wide by 6" high...which at 60 yards is a pretty small target area, with little margin for error...so using elk size targets will help get a feel for where I will need to hit at distance

16-Jun-14

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Well it seems to have worked so far...first shot was 20 yards...the second at 40 yards

17-Jun-14
Elk vitals photo ElkVitalslabeledpostingsize.jpg

Here's a view from a tree stand. Anyone has permission to use, share, enlarge and print etc. any bow ed photo I have ever posted. It's always in the best interest of bowhunting, therefore go for it should you desire.

17-Jun-14
 photo sweetspotmoose.jpg

Here's a moose photo and I outlined the area I where I much prefer to hit. The bright yellow is the place where I hit on the last moose I killed.

17-Jun-14
Thanks a million BB; greatly appreciated

30-Jun-14
Up...

08-Jul-14
Up...

08-Jul-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Here's a bull my buddy Les shot last year. He hit it pretty darn close to where the red dot is in the photos above.

08-Jul-14

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Now watch the video and see how fast he went down. Looked good to me and even better through the viewfinder of my camera!

08-Jul-14
By the way Tim in Wyoming, Just curious, if you can shoot through the rib bones behind the shoulder on a broadside shot why can't you shoot through the rib bones in front of the shoulder on a more frontal angle?

08-Jul-14

One thing I find interesting, if not ironic is that there are those who will advocate shooting tight into the V of the front leg bones with little margin for error but they have a problem with a frontal or quartering to shot. I would venture to guess that the margin for error on a frontal shot is equal if not greater than the margin of error on a shot tight into the V.

Here's a bull that I shot about as tight into the V as you would want to shoot. This bull ran a lot farther than Les's in the video I posted and it wasn't a very good blood trail. I didn't see the bull fall and I had to track him for a ways...

08-Jul-14
That was pretty cool Mike, not sure about the video guy though...Lol

09-Jul-14

I've had a play around with Jeck's and BB's images...I guess I may have the heart spot a tad 'high' on BB's??

09-Jul-14

09-Jul-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link
Note,,, What the article says """ A good shot is one that will penetrate both lungs and cause a maximum amount of blood loss, rapidly. A broadside or slightly quartering away shot is preferable. Some bad shots definitely include an animal quartering toward you. Here the front leg will obstruct your double lung / heart shot. Don’t take this shot. Another shot to avoid is straight-on. Here you have no chance of a double-lung shot, and have to pray for a heart shot. Yes it may be hard to pass up that one shot opportunity you’ve had all season"""

09-Jul-14

That's one guy's opinion arrow1. Yes a good shot is one that will penetrate both lungs; nobody will disagree with that. However there is more than one way to skin a cat as evidenced by the experiences of guys like BigDan, BB and backed up by my own personal experiences.

Here's one I shot that was a pretty steep quartering away shot. According to your article it's not preferable since it was more than "slightly quartering away". However, this bull was down in sight, less than 50 yards.

09-Jul-14
We always see the Pics and hear about the frontal shot and other poor shot that got lucky and the animal is down.

But we don't have the pics and hear about the hundreds of poor shots taken that the animal is lost or suffers needlessly. Can you kill an animal with a frontal shot ? Yes but there are far more wounds and loses we never hear about. That's why many outfitters have gone to a wound policy. I would be willing to bet the frontal shot taken with outfitters with wound policies is drastically reduced then the DYI hunter or outfitters without..

As archers we need to take the highest most lethal shot we can.

As far as your bull I can't judge your shot. If the angle allowed you to get both lungs and being it went down in 50 yds it most likely got both lungs or lungs and heart it was a good shot. To me it looks like a good elevated shot.

I will not take a frontal shot or quartering to me or walking shot which has left me to passed many bulls. Over cautious ? Maybe,, but my percentage of success is very high.

If you read the article in its whole text I would say it is defining "slightly quartering away" as the degree of angle to get both lungs. At some point the degree of the quartering away is compromised.

09-Jul-14
arrow1,

You have posted that article in the past as away of presenting your anti-frontal shot opinion. You are entitled to your opinion and I agree, you should limit yourself to the shots you feel comfortable with.

However, your belief that anybody who makes a kill with anything other than your "perfect shot scenario" made a poor shot and got lucky is a somewhat of a stretch if not judgemental and narrow-minded.

The statement you made:

"Can you kill an animal with a frontal shot ? Yes but there are far more wounds and loses we never hear about."

Is irresponsible and unfounded by fact. How do you know how many animals are wounded and lost with the frontal shot?

The same could be said about the broadside shot but it would be unfounded because we don't know the true statistics. How many animals are missed left or right and shot in the guts and lost? You won't have a gut shot with a frontal shot unless you shoot through vital organs and the diaphragm first.

You will not take a frontal shot because you're not comfortable with it. That's good advice, nobody should shoot beyond their ability or understanding. Your success rate is very high and that's great. However there are those, possibly with more experience (BigDan and BB for example) who will take a frontal shot and also have a very high success rate. Personally I have killed 2 bulls with a frontal shot and a buddy I was hunting with killed 1. Myself and my hunting partners have had zero losses with frontal shots. I have however, as much as I hate to admit it because I'll probably be crucified for it, lost a bull on a broadside shot that was too far back. I hit another one too far back that I found the next morning and I know of other friends and acquantances who have lost or had delayed recoveries due to broadside hits that were too far back. To the contrary, I don't personally know one person who has lost an elk with a frontal shot.

As I said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and when presented with an opportunity you have to decide yourself if you can envision the arrow's path to the vitals. If you can and you're confident, kill the elk, otherwise pass on the shot.

Outfitters may have many different or more restrictive rules based on their opinions, business decisions, etc. I would guess that wounding policies are much more a result of clients who are just flat out bad shots rather than being based purely on frontal shots. If you hire a guide to lead you around and tell you what to do, when to do it and how to do it that's your choice. I prefer the DIY route.

09-Jul-14
Cheesehead, I've lost animals with seemingly perfect broadside shots too. So have most of the serious hunters I know. Its a horrible feeling, but part of the deal. If you shoot at enough stuff, eventually your time is coming. If I get a good frontal shot at my first elk this year, I'm taking it.

09-Jul-14
LOL right into the attack mode. No place in my post did I attack you. I'm not narrow minded or irresponsible, judgmental maybe. What I'm for sure is a very ethical and dedicated archer.

One could say your statement " I would guess that wounding policies are much more a result of clients who are just flat out bad shots rather than being based purely on frontal shots. If you hire a guide to lead you around and tell you what to do, when to do it and how to do it that's your choice. I prefer the DIY route. " Is irresponsible and unfounded by fact and very judgmental. I have 20 p-points for Colorado and points in Wy and Mont. Some of the best and biggest elk are on private land and you have to be guided to get on those lands,,, we don't need to be lead around and told what to do. We also do DYI hunts.

You posted "Personally I have killed 2 bulls with a frontal shot and a buddy I was hunting with killed 1. Myself and my hunting partners have had zero losses with frontal shots. I have however, as much as I hate to admit it because I'll probably be crucified for it, lost a bull on a broadside shot that was too far back. I hit another one too far back that I found the next morning and I know of other friends and acquantances who have lost or had delayed recoveries due to broadside hits that were too far back. To the contrary, I don't personally know one person who has lost an elk with a frontal shot."

Well there you have it,,, The frontal shot is the best shot to take and gives hunters the best over all kill opportunity and the best opportunity for a double lung or heart shot according to you. I always thought the broadside shot gave the hunter the best window of opportunity for success. I didn't realize it is the frontal shot.... I stand corrected LOL.

Seems strange though you and everyone you know can hit a baseball size frontal shot with 100% success but you wound the broadside shots Hmmmmmm. Guess animals don't jump or move when being shot head on.

We will never agree on this shot. You will continue to praise and take the shot and I will continue to preach against it.

You can find many friends in support and I can find many against.

Good Luck this Fall >>>---->

09-Jul-14

I'm not in attack mode, just stating my opinion based on observed facts. This isn't the first time you have weighed in on this topic and criticized those who take the frontal shot and used terms like "lucky" and made ethical judgements on those with differing opinions.

I don't know how my speculation on the origin of wounding policies and my commentary on hiring a guide could be seen as irresponsible and judgemental... but you're entitled to your opinion.

You and I both know that I never said "The frontal shot is the best shot to take and gives hunters the best over all kill opportunity and the best opportunity for a double lung or heart shot". I haven't seen word twisting like that since good old Rancid Crabtree was on the WI site! LOL! I think it's pretty obvious that my point was about the odds of an accidental gut shot.

Also, I never said anything about a baseball size frontal shot. If you think the frontal kill zone is the size of a baseball there's no wonder why you think it's such a bad choice!

And I'm not sure how the fact that you have 20 p-points for Colorado and you plan to hunt guided on private land plays into the equation but since you brought it up... in 2012 I got within 35 yards of a 350 class bull on a DIY public land OTC CO hunt and last year I killed a 360 class bull on a DIY public land hunt in a CO unit that took way fewer than 20 p-points to draw and to top it off I killed it with a frontal shot! Damn I was lucky! Sorry, couldn't resist ;^)

Yes we can agree to disagree, but I'll make you a deal; you stop saying that those who kill elk with anything other than a broadside shot "made a poor shot and got lucky" and stop implying that we are unethical and I'll stop saying that you're stretching it and are possibly being judgemental and narrow minded... deal?

Now, lets get back to a worthwile discussion!

09-Jul-14
Mike, or anyone, do you happen to have photos of the frontal shots which have been skinned back?

09-Jul-14
Good shot is a dead recovered critter. Poor shot is an unrecovered critter. Really poor shot is one where you see the arrow sticking out of somewhere it shouldn't be... like the jaw, shoulder blade, a$$, loin or neck.

Get the heck over it and go hunting. Just remember, there are few "humane" deaths in the wild. Old age, worn out teeth, starvation, wolves, hit by car, etc. All can be worse than a misplaced arrow through one lung or liver that some hunter doesn't find, yet still die in hours... just a mile or so from the shot.

Mother nature is by far more cruel than all bow hunters combined.

• Sitka Gear