elk hunter 02-Dec-11
trophyhill 03-Dec-11
Charlie Rehor 03-Dec-11
Bigdan 03-Dec-11
elk hunter 04-Dec-11
Lyagooshka 29-Jul-14
tcosmic 30-Jul-14
02-Dec-11
Was looking for hunters who hunted in Montana Unit 361 with Horseshoe Hill Outfitters Slippery Rock, PA Or Horseshoe Hill Ranch

Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania Owner: Bob McConnell

to see if we had the same very poor hunt experience, and no response from outfitter to address problems.

03-Dec-11
what was your experience?

03-Dec-11
Hunting in Montana with a Pennsylvania Outfitter from Slippery Rock?

03-Dec-11
hunting 361 with anyone is a bad deal wolves have wiped out the game.

04-Dec-11
POOR HUNT AND AREA I booked that hunt based on his web page."the best Elk hunting in Montana." High success rates, lots of game""Mule Deer are also abundant and can be hunted at the same time of your Elk hunt" I was told it was horseback spot and stalk from "drop camp". Well. I never got on a horse,walked for miles,never made it to "camp"(stayed in a house in IDAHO, a hour from "hunt" area).Never saw a bull,only cows we saw were close to town on private land. Guides were not as described or expected. Based on my experience,I would NOT recommend booking any hunts with Bob at Horseshoe Hill Ranch or Horseshoe Hill Outfitters or Sheep Creek Outfitters (the same camp/house) . You can book a hunt anywhere else in the state in better areas and get a professional outfitter for the same cost.

29-Jul-14
I posted on another site and someone sent me a link to this thread. Seems I am not alone. Here is what I posted on the other site:

" Just wanted to share a story with my fellow archers and see if anyone else had a similar experience and what you did.

Last summer, I filled out a few "come hunt here" requests for info with a few outfitter sites. After a while, I got a call from "Joe" at "XYZ Outfitter" (not real names) offering a moose hunt in QC. I did some looking around, and it seemed like a pretty good deal (should have been my first clue), so I signed up. I sent the deposit and started getting ready. About a month before the trip, outfitter calls and tells me that due to all sorts of excuses (death in family, illness, etc.), he has to cancel. He offered me to take my deposit and put it towards this year. I thought about it and said no. I already had the time off from work, so I would make the most out of it. I just asked that he refund my deposit.

As you might have imagined already, that is the last I heard from him. I called and emailed several times with no reply. I looked up options, but even though I live in eastern PA and the outfitter is in western PA, to actually do anything about it (hire a lawyer, file complaint, travel time, etc.) would almost definitely exceed the deposit I sent.

I let it go for the time being (probably another mistake on my end, but I have lots going on and it takes precedence), and moved on.

Here's where it gets real dumb. A few days ago, I get a call out of the blue. Wouldn't you know it, it's "Joe" from "XYZ" offering me a moose hunt. I figured profanity wouldn't get me anywhere, so I said "Sure!". Once he started giving me the details, I cut in with, "So the offer from last year still stands, right?".

"Huh?"

"You remember, you were saving my deposit."

"Oh, sure, yeah."

So I asked for an email confirming it. What do you think I got?

You guessed it, nothing. So I called again and sent emails. I know I won't get a reply, but to be honest, now I'm really p%#*ed. I had almost put it behind me and was able to handle my home issues (health, etc. but that's irrelevant). Even though this was going to be my "adventure" before having to hang the bow up for a while, I was glad to get out local as there are many who wish they could but can't. I'm thankful for what I have, but this guy just opened up an old wound and I am not too happy.

So I figured I would put it out to you ladies and gents. What would you do? Has this ever happened to you? If so, how did you deal with it?

Archery season is just around the corner. Hope you all have a safe and successful season. Looking forward to the stories. "

Any similar stories?

Happy and safer hunting.

Alex

30-Jul-14
That's why you always need those references from those who scored and those who did not.I have known people who have gone on guided hunts where they might not have killed an animal but they said it was not from the lack of the guide trying.They had good guides,good food and an overall good experience.

• Sitka Gear