stringgunner 31-Dec-11
swede 31-Dec-11
adw5 10-Nov-16
Bou'bound 10-Nov-16
nvgoat 10-Nov-16
adw5 10-Nov-16
redheadlvr 11-Nov-16
09-Dec-11
I know there will be a ton of different opinions on this. My stabilizer came loose during the season and it eventually fell off and I didn't notice till it was too late. I never found it. Now I'm in the market to replace it and can't believe that some of them cost around $100. Is a $100 one really that much better than a $40 one. The purpose is to help balance your bow and absorb shock right? What say you? How important to your shooting is your stabilizer? Which one do you recommend? Thanks. Tis the season for buying new gear while we wait for September.

09-Dec-11

ElkNut1's Link
I've never used one once on any hunt! It's just extra wt. that I felt was not needed! I have tried them during the off season but have never seen any benefit to them. Just my thoughts is all. (grin)

ElkNut1

09-Dec-11
The real reason for a stabilizer is to stabilize the bow prior to, during, and after the shot. To do that you need rigidity in the bar and a weight far enough from the bow to counteract the bows movement during aiming and the bows inertia at the shot.

A "hunting" stabilizer is pretty much a dead weight you pack around. Most of the hunting bars are touted as "vibration reducers". Fine enough, but the arrow is already gone.

You need to have bar/weight combo that's designed correctly. Most aren't but a few are. B-Stinger and now Doinker's have hunting bars that do the job. Those old style 6" solid chunks of steel don't do much.

09-Dec-11
B stinger is the way to go. Its worth the weight in my opinion to make a good shot on a an animal. Target shooters want to be accurate for paper sake, why not be accurate for the animals sake. Animals earn more respect compared to paper.

10-Dec-11
Shoot a B-Stinger and see if it matters. Best thing you can add to your bow.

10-Dec-11
I shoot a B-Stinger like stablizer called Smooth Stability during the off season and for practicing. There is no way I would consider using that for mountain hunting. I go without a stabilizer for hunting and can still shoot 6" groups at 60 yards so I don't think it matters enough for the weight they are.

10-Dec-11
I don't use one either... I may shoot slightly better with one but definitely not enough to warrant the weight... Not having a stabilizer has never cost me an animal for sure

10-Dec-11
I really like the Limb Saver stabilizers. They aren't real heavy, work pretty well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

10-Dec-11
B-Stringer- They don't fall apart;they don't fall off; they just perform.

10-Dec-11
I also highly recommend the B-stinger.

It maximizes the accuracy potential of any bow. IMO, what little extra weight you have to carry is more than offset by doing what a stabilizer is designed to do...stabilize the bow during the shot sequence.

10-Dec-11
I use a stabalizer to help balance the bow, so I do not have to grip it. The bow stands straight up and down in my hand without my having to straighten up the riser or grip it. I also use a loose wrist strap to keep the bow from coming out of my hand after I shoot. I did not realize how much I depend on these things until a friend had me shoot his bow, and it fell to the ground after the shot.

11-Dec-11
Another B-stinger vote here. If you are worried about weight, go with the 8" B-stinger. Also fits better in most bow cases so you don't have to constantly take it off/put it on.

11-Dec-11
cobra double joint, fold down with a twist to fit in case, at yeoldarcheryshopp.com... 11.99$ have them on both of my bows for as long as i can remember.

11-Dec-11
As far as the b stinger goes. I use an 8.5" 11oz with a quick disconnect. Brings total length to 10". I have carried mine for hours on end and never wished it wasn't on my bow.

11-Dec-11
As far as the b stinger goes. I use an 8.5" 11oz with a quick disconnect. Brings total length to 10". I have carried mine for hours on end and never wished it wasn't on my bow.

11-Dec-11
Assuming those who use stabilizers for hunting also have a quiver full of arrows on their bow does the stabilizer work as well (or better)?

11-Dec-11
Lots of votes for the B-stinger. I had a fusion before and I've never heard of the B-stinger. I'll check out the website. Thanks.

11-Dec-11
"Assuming those who use stabilizers for hunting also have a quiver full of arrows on their bow does the stabilizer work as well (or better)?"

I always hunt with a two piece quiver on. The b stinger only make me shoot better!

11-Dec-11
I too shoot with no quiver so I don't know. I have to believe the b stinger will improve your shot with or without quiver. It truely does what its name says, stabilize.

11-Dec-11
I shoot a recurve so I wouldn't know.But when a bull is coming in I need something to stabilize me!!! LOL

11-Dec-11
Ebay has a real good selection of octane stabilizers, at pretty good prices!! I have a 6" octane on my bow and it does help. Stays on whether im hunting or 3D. As for the quiver I have a Alpine soft lock and it comes off on stand!! Pat C.

11-Dec-11
I'll have to check out the B Stinger also.

I have used the short hunting stabilizers also and felt they did not give much benefit. In fact I noticed more difference when I removed my quiver than when I removed the stabilizer.

I don't stand hunt very often so my quiver is usually on the bow.

11-Dec-11
No stabilizer for me. The bows shoot fine without the extra weight and pack much better. I do leave the quiver on year around, loaded with arrows. My latest bow is a Carbon Element, so it is super light but still accurate.

11-Dec-11
I have the 11 inch B-stinger and have hauled it up and down lots of mountains in Colorado without a problem. It does add weight, but it really balances my Maxxis 35, and I think it steadies the shot very well. It is very solid and the quick disconnect is nice.

12-Dec-11
Another vote for the B-Stinger. Everything ChristianDoc just said about his Maxxis goes for me and my Mathews Icon. It *stabilizes*!

If you can find someone who has one, ask if you can shoot a few arrows with it on your bow. That is what I did and I could feel/see a noticeable difference.

12-Dec-11
I really like the Limb Saver stabilizers.

12-Dec-11
Im with ELKNUT IMO, just a gizmo. I tried one....no change noted.

12-Dec-11
Whether the benefits of a stabilizer are greater than the effort required to carry it may be debatable. I walk about a mile into a tree stand, so the extra weight is no problem. If I was hunting in the back country at 10,000+ foot elevation, I would consider removing mine. On the other hand, I do not see where there is any valid debate that a good stabilizer reduces hand shock, quietens the bow, and will help balance it even if you have a quiver full of arrows attached. I believe that there can be some confusion on the matter because not all stabilizers do as much as others. I do not think anyone has to look for the most expensive stabilizer to get the job done. Just my thought.

13-Dec-11
I use an Octane stabilizer and I now have a 4 arrow Fuze Posilite 2 piece quiver. I don't notice the extra weight. I use to use a Fuse 2 piece 6 arrow quiver and since I put the 4 arrow quiver on I do notice a BIG difference in weight. I wouldn't shoot without either one now.

13-Dec-11
I had a "cheap" stab on last year. I decided during the off season to try a good one and bought a used B-Stinger on a different site. It cost me about $55 with shipping. Best $55 I spent on a stab. I hold the bow much steadier now before, during and after the shot. My accuracy is much better especially at longer ranges. MY broadheads are also flying much better.

13-Dec-11
After hearing so much about the B Stinger, I was turned onto the Doinker Dish, which is similar design. Very pleased with how much more stable my bow is when held at full draw.

It makes the bow heavier, but worth its weight to me after trying it this year mid summer.

The folks at Spot Hogg have written up detailed info regarding stabilizers vs. vibration control devices.

Carl

13-Dec-11
If you tried one and saw no benefit you used a vibration dampener, not a true stabilizer. Those short rubber things do almost nothing to stabilize the bow. A real stabilizer not only holds the bow more steady through the shot, it helps you hold the pin on target. Even helps in windy shots.

A true stabilizer requires a combination of two things, rigid length and weight. You can achieve roughly the same degree of stabilization by what combination you choose, lengthening the shaft and lightening the weight or increasing the weight and shortening the length. Otherwise any increase in length or weight will increase the stabilization.

I shoot a b-stinger type, 14 oz, 10" w/quick disconnect is 11 1/2". With a 2 piece quiver. I put in some good miles of mountain, brush/timber/jungle year round and have no problem with either the weight or length. In fact it makes a great kickstand to set your bow down on. I don't really get the "too heavy to carry" deal. Even "heavy" bows just aren't that heavy folks. My shotgun weighs much more and we put in some serious miles on the mountain too.

It is the only item I know of you can just screw onto your bow in seconds and instantly shrink your groups, especially at 40+ yards.

13-Dec-11

b-stinger for me. Get a stabilizer that actually stabilizes the bow and you will shoot better. If your happy with less accuracy and less weight on the bow then great but if you to increase accuracy get a real stabilizer.

12" 11oz on my hoyt vipertec

13-Dec-11
My stinger helps my shooting quite a bit, and i didnt mind the extra weight in the woods, ill be keeping it on from now on out.

13-Dec-11
Shooting a 10" Stokerized now. I had a 14 Oz. 12" B-Stinger that I loved but when I switched to shooting left handed I couldn't support that much weight. I plan to work myself back to that weight as it does a much better job at holding than does the Stokerized.

FWIW....Gold Tip now owns B-Stinger and they are calling them Bee Stinger.

13-Dec-11
Didn't know that, Mark.

13-Dec-11
Currently using a Octane with two end weights, does a pretty good job for me.

13-Dec-11
B-Stinger, enough said!

14-Dec-11
How many of you shoot compound with fingers? A stabilizer helps with bow movement on release. Unlike release shooters the bow reacts side-to-side. I would love to able to shoot without a stabilizer but unless I go to recurve, I will have to stay with one.

14-Dec-11
I like the xfactor stabilizers... They help kill vibration from any little torque whatsoever...

14-Dec-11
B-Stinger. You can hold your pin much steadier at longer distances. Put one on and shoot 60-80 yds for a week or so then take it off and you will see the difference.

14-Dec-11
B-Stinger. It's proven and make my shots that much better.

14-Dec-11
One thing I would like to add is that it took a little shooting to get used to it. Now I don't want to shoot without it. Also, it is VERY nice out of a tree stand!

14-Dec-11
This is the first year that I didn't use one. Shoot better then I ever have and don't have all that added weight.

14-Dec-11
B-Stinger,works for me. If you get a shot, believe me you wont notice the extra weight.

14-Dec-11
Try a stabilizer for stability, not vibration dampening. By varying lengths and weight combinations, I think you'll find that the pin wonders over bullseye much less. I use a B-Stinger on a DXT and have installed the Z7 vibration dampeners in the riser with satisfaction.

15-Dec-11
Thanks guys. Overwhelming response for the B-Stinger. I had never even heard of it before this thread. Lots of good points made on stabilizing vs vibration dampening.

15-Dec-11

AERO63's embedded Photo
AERO63's embedded Photo
As has been stated in this thread, there is a definite difference between a TRUE stabilizer and a vibration dampener that is disguised as a stabilizer.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a vibration dampener (plenty of them on the market, generally made with lots of, if not all, soft rubber material), since dampening vibration at the shot does help quiet the bow and tone down felt shock by the shooter...

...however, if a shooter is looking to see the benefits of a true stabilizer in regards to how the bow reacts before, during, and after the shot then he or she needs to choose a true stabilizer.

Like a couple other posters have mentioned, a true stabilizer helps control the bow throughout the entire shot process (aiming, release, post-shot) through a combination of rigid length and focused end weight.

There have been plenty of posters recommending Bee Stinger stabilizers as a true stabilizer in this thread, which is great! Bee Stinger's concept of focusing end weight on a rigid, lightweight carbon bar has been utilized by the world's top target archers for years, and each year more and more hunters are taking the concept to heart as well.

A true stabilizer, like a Bee Stinger, improves the shooter's ability to make consistent shots time after time. A shooter's "good" shots are better which is great, but perhaps even more importantly a true stabilizer can improve a shooter's "bad" shots. If a stabilizer can improve the bow's reaction through the shot process to the point where it moves the arrow's impact even one single inch closer center on a less than perfect shot, would it be worth it?

While it may be true that a shot in a hunting situation has more margin of error (in terms of acceptable distance from center) than a shot in a target situation, that doesn't change the fact that sometimes one inch can make all the difference between a punched tag or a wounded animal. We all know that.

There is extra weight and bulk involved with a true stabilizer on a hunting bow...true. But what other shot is more worthy of that extra weight than one at an animal that a hunter has worked his tail off to get?? And what other shot has more potential to be less than the archer's best? Pressure, nerves, hurrying, etc, etc all make shots in hunting situation difficult to execute with perfect form, etc. We all know that as well!

For 2012, Bee Stinger will be introducing a new hunting stabilizer, the Sport Hunter Xtreme. (The popular Pro Hunter stabilizers are not going anywhere however, still in the line.) This new stabilizer will be available in 6", 8", and 10" lengths and comes standard with 3 individually removable 1 oz. weights. (More can be added if desired). The weight, even though in smaller amounts than Bee Stinger's 8+ oz. stabilizers, is still focused on the end of a lightweight carbon bar and does an extremely nice job of stabilizing today's shorter and more parallel-limb hunting bows. The Sport Hunter Xtreme bars also feature a Sims Dersonator to help absorb vibration, as well as an internal dampener inside the carbon rod (just like all Bee Stinger hunting stabs have in the past) to continue to aid in the vibration reduction arena...reducing vibration is still an important aspect in addition to the stabilization.

The Sport Hunter Xtreme stabilizers will be available and on retailer's shelves in mid-January.

Below is a photo that showcases a prototype of an 8" Sport Hunter Xtreme, coupled with a 6" side bar (which is another option for maximizing a bow's balance and resistance to torque throughout the shot process.)

It was also mentioned that Gold Tip now markets and sells Bee Stinger products, and that is true. Gold Tip/Bee Stinger can be reached at 800-551-0541 for more detailed info, and I'm also happy to answer questions on this thread.

Taylor Edwards Gold Tip, LLC / Bee Stinger, LLC

15-Dec-11
Sorry folks...photo is above obviously, not below...

22-Dec-11
One advantage that I didn't se mentioned here to using a stabilizer (or rubber dampener thingy!) is that it balances the bow better when carrying it around. We carry them (think elk hunting for example - lots of hiking as opposed to der huntig from a stand) much more than we shoot them. To me, the extra weight up front helps reduce the torque on the hand & wrist from the bow quiver twisting them to the right (right handed).

>>>>--------->

31-Dec-11
so for those of you shooting a bee stinger, I'm on the fence as to which weight to get. I'm planning on purchasing the 10.25 with a quick disconnect. But which weight size?

I shoot a Mathews Switchback xt, 60lbs, 27 inch draw and 100 grain muzzys if any of that matters?

what would you suggest?

31-Dec-11
Stringgunner, Call the factory in Utah. They will help you.

10-Nov-16
I find this article to be very helpful and straightforward for figuring out the right stabilizer for you. https://www.foundry35.com/blogs/blog/bow-stabilizers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-this-mysterious-bow-accessory

10-Nov-16
I really like the Limb Saver stabilizers. They aren't real heavy, work pretty well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

10-Nov-16
Take a look at the Quivalizer from Trophy Taker.

This product uses your quiver as a long stabilizer. Can be in normal quiver position for travel or carrying but switches quickly to stabilizer mode. Allows the advantages of a long stabilizer without adding the additional weight to that of a bow mounted quiver.

I shot one last year and really like the design and functionality.

10-Nov-16
I find this article to be very helpful and straightforward for figuring out the right stabilizer for you. https://www.foundry35.com/blogs/blog/bow-stabilizers-everything-you-need-to-know-about-this-mysterious-bow-accessory

11-Nov-16
60X stabilizers. These can be customized.

• Sitka Gear