fuzzy 24-Sep-12
JoeArcher 28-Sep-12
buckhunter 09-Oct-12
buckhunter 09-Oct-12
fuzzy 10-Oct-12
elkmtngear 10-Oct-12
nitroxdan 02-Nov-12
13-Sep-12
So far so good but I hope It gets harder. The edge of stupid hard is always fun.

13-Sep-12
Darn phone. Went to change the drop down to B but hit submit instead. 0 points for me so far.

13-Sep-12
2 for 2, I only critique the shot placement. I find it's easier to double lung with a higher shot placement, as I just did the other day (dead in 8 seconds, 50 yards - without trying for the heart). A little higher by 6" and 2" further back would be my optimal choice based on your angle (especially from a tree). It's a much larger kill zone. There is more lung near the top than their is at the bottom. If the goal was a heart shot or bust - then that was the right shot. We all have our preferences, it's the result that counts, and I am assuming this one will have a happy ending...

13-Sep-12
The lower shot to me is the better choice. If the deer jumps the string and drops there's still an excellent chance at a double lung. If your aiming for a double lung and he drops you don't get a vitals hit, the deer runs off wounded and most likely a poor blood trail at best.

13-Sep-12
If you know your bow shoots low and to the left you would be better off aiming for C

13-Sep-12
I am sure that it will get "tricky" before long..

13-Sep-12
I really dont think that D is in the blade. Nun of the locatins are real good. It would be nice to know how high in the tree their shooting from.

14-Sep-12
on Quartering away shots you always aim for the far front leg, mid way up the body, Thats where the highest probability of taking out at least 2 major organs is,

14-Sep-12
D is on the edge of the scapula and good chance of one lung.

Imagine the exit.

14-Sep-12
I disagree with your reasoning on number 3....out of respect for the spoiler I'll wait to explain why until most get a chance to drop an answer.

14-Sep-12
I love how everyone get's worked up over this.. There was really only one good option for a shot on the first picture, He even kept the other dots away from it so as not to confuse anyone.. LOL

14-Sep-12
I'd pick the lower shot over your choice anytime but hey, it's your party.

14-Sep-12
I immediately get down and track an animal that is whot in the ribs like that. The deer is dead by the time you drop your bow to the ground and get down...lets be honest here people...

14-Sep-12
I'm with ya there Mallard, but it's gotten politically correct to play by a different set of rules.

14-Sep-12

14-Sep-12
lol....Pat

Nick--How did you miss one of them questions? I`m totally disappointed in you..lol

I`m still trying to figure out how Pat is going to make 8 clues out of this quick kill

14-Sep-12
+1 Pat!!!

I can usually find a reason to argue, but this one is too simple and straight forward...no room to even question the answers...so far:)

14-Sep-12
Ok, time to ramp it up, thanks again Pat.

14-Sep-12
wheelie ma said it best, shoot for the opposite shoulder, you will not be sorry.

14-Sep-12
Dang it Pat! I went conservative and said 60-120. I wanted to put 30-60 but I was trying to read your mind. I actually would have gotten down right away on that shot.

14-Sep-12
3 for 3. I didn't overthink it and didn't look for twists. I suck at word games and "hints". (Ask my wife! LOL!)

Does this make me "book" smart?

14-Sep-12
My eyes must be going because I can't seem to see the deer get up Watched several times to

14-Sep-12
Top right of the video, the deer appears by the large tree trunk.... I missed it the first time as well...

15-Sep-12
This is my first time doing this . I didn't realize we were talking about the same hit in clue 3 I guess i am just a dummy!

16-Sep-12
I never could hit the curveball. :(

I clicked the wrong button!!!

16-Sep-12
In clue 5 I put "a" when the right answers was "c" and I TAKE 0 POINTS....looking again the photo i see you are in the right, but i think that 0 point is not good for a little angle of difference.

Sorry my English!!!

16-Sep-12
I shot a buck 3years ago. I got down in about 5 minutes. The shot was 13 yards. The deer traveled about 20 yards and laid down. An that is all she wrote.

16-Sep-12
Text book is boring but the blood spatter pattern is overlooked by many people I have tracked with. I try to explain it but somehow they remain skeptical when the situation arises that they think the deer went the other direction.

17-Sep-12
What's going on here? This is too easy.

17-Sep-12
I just shot a doe in the river bottom on Friday night from 10 yards away, double lung shot. She went about 100 to 150 yards. I did want clue number 2 or 3 said and i waited 30 to 60 minutes until i got down out of the stand. It look like sum one put 5 gallons of red paint in a trail. It was a great hunt and to share it with my brother was even better. First harvest out of a stand and won't be my last. Good luck out there everyone.

17-Sep-12
On #5 the turned up leaf in the left corner of the blood area has blood on the back edge. This as well as splatter indicated to me the direction the deer was traveling.

17-Sep-12
I have a problem with #6---without knowing when it rained last how do you know if the dirt would be fresh, let alone it was kicked up. We can assume this but it is not a fact unless we know more.

17-Sep-12
grrrrr. Thought this was the clue that Pat was dropping the trick on us. Honestly thought it was the color of bird crap after eating blackberries or rasberries. Am I hallucinating or does that blood look purple?

18-Sep-12
JB you're not hallucinating, blood does changes to several different shades as it dries on wood, leaves and dirt. It's fooled me several times over the years.

That's why Millie and I carry a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide in our tracking kits. If we get to a situation where the blood trail has petered out and we're not sure if that dark spot in the dirt or that red-purple splatch on a log is blood we give it a spritz of the peroxide. The foaming/bubbling action of the peroxide on the dried spot will take on a pink tinge real fast if it's blood.

18-Sep-12
If it had rained on the dirt it would have more of a flat appearence rather than looking "fluffy" and holding its shape with sharp edges

18-Sep-12
Yes, but if it had not rained in a couple days it might have gotten there in a different way.

18-Sep-12
If you look close, there is a speck of dirt on top of the dried blood. Indicating it was kicked there after the blood spattered.

18-Sep-12
looked like fresh dirt to me, light edges and dark center to the little clumps almost like a deer track a couple hours old

18-Sep-12
It may or may not be fresh but lets ask the question did the deer scared a rabbit and the rabbit put the dirt on the log---- just saying

18-Sep-12
I think many of us got docked for being conservative with the 30 minutes to an hour / hour to hour and a half question.

EDIT: That came across more negative than intended. Great game, thanks.

19-Sep-12
wow. The rabbit that is kicking dirt on logs said you better wait 3 hours, Whats it matter? Its a game meant for fun, If you get a question wrong its not the end of the world. Ok people just have fun, Or dont play them. Getting all pyschotic over somthing that is another persons point of view is silly, This site is full of people who need anger managment and drama reduction classes, Of all the site's i go to this one is the only site where everybody is just plain mean, and unwilling to even think that its ok for a person to have an opinion other than what they believe themselves, If it wasnt for features like the Blood trail challenges i would never even look at this site, Pat its a great game i truly enjoy them but i will never recommend this site to another person as long as the people on it continue to be so critical about everything,

19-Sep-12
Spot on Pat! Not everybody on the site has shot and tracked dozens+ deer. These are needed mixed in as well.

A few notes on comments.

Directional splatter of blood can and will save your bacon sooner or later when tracking a bowshot deer if you do it enough.

It will never hurt to wait an hour after a shot. But it very well "can" hurt if you jump a fatally hit deer that would have otherwise expired in it's deathbed.

19-Sep-12
You can't please All the People All of the Time... and it would seem those are the people that visit Bowsite. I personally love these games on here. Easy or hard don't matter to me. Fun stuff. Some of the fun is reading comments from folks rationalizing there own wrong answers.

19-Sep-12
I'm fairly new to bow hunting and I love it. I love these games and I hope you keep doing them. If they are hard I really like trying to figure them out and if they are easy for me I feel like I'm getting decent at tracking.

19-Sep-12
The real key to tracking is to pay attention to ALL of the details from the time of the shot until you recover your animal.

As others point out, shade or color of the blood spray and spatter give you tremendous clues about what organ your arrow damaged. The color, length and texture of the hair left behind on the arrow and on the ground where the animal was standing will also tell you something.

They may not mean much separately, but they're all pieces of the puzzle that once connected can lead you to your animal.

19-Sep-12
thanks for doing the "text book" version. I teach hunter education and a series like this is a great way to get new hunters into thinking about what they should and should do. Then they can adjust to the huge variation in conditions. Hoping everyone has a short trailing job this fall-- stay safe and shoot straight.

19-Sep-12
Pat: Thanks for the textbook version. My score is actually my son's score. So I assume the butt kicker version is next???

19-Sep-12
My first ever perfect at one of these. Great shot on a beautiful deer.

19-Sep-12
Wheelie Man - my comments were in jest. I LOVE these games. Sometimes the brain just won't accept the simple answer. Better yet, my daughter is kicking my butt on this round. That makes it even more fun.

Milnrick - good tip. Sounds like CSI material to me.

19-Sep-12
It only took 33 of these for me to score perfect....now that it's happened let's get back to the butt kicker versions:)

19-Sep-12
Love this interactive fun. Keep it up. It keeps you on your toes.

19-Sep-12
My score does not reflect my enjoyment. I saw the stain on the log and was sure it was a trick question. Grapes make these stains in Vermont. I have been taken off track by grape stains more than once.

19-Sep-12
This was too easy. I really prefer when Pat throws curve balls and we all get pizzed at him because quite frankly those are more thought provoking and a better learning experience. IMO

Non the less, thanks for putting it up Pat.

20-Sep-12
Even though this version was easier didn't find yourself second guessing your answers from the curve balls thrown in the past? I know I did.

20-Sep-12
I was just constantly fearing the curve ball, I just had to keep saying "normal" answers. I got my first and probably last perfect score I don't think Pat will ever toss us another milk bone treat like this one.. thanks for doing these they are such a blast. I even utilize them for my bow hunter education classes this one will be one of the better ones for the kids nice a straight forward.

20-Sep-12
where's Snooki?

20-Sep-12
I'm suprised no one has argued on "organs hit" yet. Those arguments always get me grinning ;-)

20-Sep-12
I'm sooo proud of myself. 72 , now back to reality!!

20-Sep-12
fuzzy, not sure how they could argue vitals hit as there can only be one right answer. The other 3 include guts and lungs, but no liver. You can't enter the guts and exit through the lungs without touching the liver. But stranger things have happened.

20-Sep-12
At that angle I think it would be possible to catch a "full" paunch with a blade on entry and nothing else. But you're right, it would likely nail the liver too.

20-Sep-12
1st time I ever had a perfect score....72!!!!!!!

20-Sep-12
This bloodtrail challenge should be used in Bowhunter Education classes. I really like the more challenging ones (as frustrating as they can be) but it is good to go back to the basics to remind us (and teach the novices and youth) what the 'textbook answers' are.

Most bloodtrails in real life are fairly routine: if the shot looks good, wait an hour, find your arrow. If the blood on the arrow looks like a vital hit as well, start the blood trail, ending in a dead deer.... Those hunters who have experience with bloodtrails can learn more by following along when things aren't as perfect, but as I said, this one is great for teaching folks what a textbook blood trail will look like.

As long as I am on my soapbox, I will encourage hunters to follow every bloodtrail, even when you know where the deer is lying dead. This is especially useful for poeple who are new to the sport. If you are hunting with a kid or someone new to the sport, let them take the lead on an easy bloodtrail and gain some experience...

20-Sep-12
Glacier

The Bloodtrailing section of IBEP courses vary from instructor team to instructor team. It's required to be part of the 'outdoor skills' part of the course. Some instructor groups make it fun and challenging - which is what the course 'should be'.

Our team, for example, lays out a trail that, on a difficulty of 1-10 (with 10 being impossible), gives those attending a sense of what they're facing in the real world.

Blood (a mixture of whole milk and red food coloring mixed 3:1)) is dispersed at the theoretical point of the shot, using a woman's hair dye - squeeze bottle from a 'beauty supply store'. We'll drip blood down an arrow shaft coat it with different colored deer hair to get them started.

Gut shots - yes, we simulate those too, are set up running an arrow thorough a mix of peanut butter, relish, ketchup, dirt/sand and whatever else we can think up, with splotches dispersed along the trail. (classes who chose to follow that trail rather htan declare 'gutshot - back out for 6 hours) typically fail and are tasked to run a second trail.

Time permitting we set up breaks in trail so the participants can actually learn how to set up 'L-Grids' to relocate sign, using a compass to ensure they walk a straight line vice circles.

We've had friends actually ask us to show them how to lay out trails so they can teach their children and other 'new hunters' how to track a wounded deer.

20-Sep-12
I thought their was a "void" around the liver where you could get guts and lung but no liver. ;D

20-Sep-12
love these games, keep them coming!

21-Sep-12
Pat has to stop double lunging them so we can have a more "interesting" blood game! One of the best learning ones was one awhile back that they left over night tracked for a long ways and finally found using some off the wall tactics.

When you drop them in 75 yards or so, not much challenge to be had.

21-Sep-12
My first 72, now all I need is a deer to shoot.

23-Sep-12
I missed #5 but my computer crashed before I could see the correct answer. What is the correct answer for #5?

24-Sep-12
knife2sharp, I'm not sure how they could either, but someone usually does ;-)

28-Sep-12
The only question that prevented me from a perfect score was how long to wait. I thought that the angle of shot held potential for a one-lung hit deer. In my opinion one-lung hit deer are the most difficult to recover and to date the only deer that I have ever lost. The reason for for non-recovery - not waiting long enough to begin tracking. I would ALWAYS give a deer at least 2 hours if it had the potential to be hit in only one lung. The right lung of this deer was barely hit. A fraction of an inch higher, and a bit closer to the sternum and this may NOT have been such an easy tracking job.

09-Oct-12
to easy

09-Oct-12
to easy

10-Oct-12
see? ;-)

10-Oct-12

elkmtngear's Link
Perfect score. It's no fun without your little B.S. twists and tricks, Pat ;)

Best of Luck, Jeff

02-Nov-12
what was the answer on the first question? i took the quiz already but can't reveiw it!

• Sitka Gear