Matt Rehor 01-Oct-12
hurricane 02-Oct-12
Bou'bound 02-Oct-12
Chip T. 02-Oct-12
greenmountain 04-Oct-12
piton 05-Oct-12
JJJ 11-Oct-12
24-Sep-12
TURN up the volume on the Moose at 4 yards video. It is neat to hear the hooves slogging through the water.

I hope you guys enjoy this hunt. Pat has always encouraged me to get serious about the video camera and do more filming so here we are on our Newfoundland Moose hunt.

While hiking about in the middle of no where you see trees cut off about 4 feet high (you will see some in the first video). I asked our guide and he told me the locals come out in the winter with their snow machines to cut fire wood. Feel free to ask any questions about the hunt! Charlie

PS: If you have questions for Matt he will answer as well. Thanks for following along!

24-Sep-12
Man....she was close! Way to keep it together Matt...you too Charlie.

This should be great....good luck Matt!

24-Sep-12
Great start to your hunt! The cow provided your first adrenaline charge....now everyone is awake! Good luck guys, we look forward to your updates!

First question: How does one go about adding caribou to this hunt? Any outfitter tags?

Mark

24-Sep-12
Mark- The Caribou herd has been in serious decline for the past few years. Caribou tags are limited and Outfitters only have a small number of tags a year. Typically you would want to hunt Caribou there during the rut which falls around the first week of October. You would have to discuss with your outfitter different possibilities to combine the two into one hunt. They may have Caribou tags for an area in which they don't moose hunt. I'm sure all the Newfoundland Bowsite sponsors could accommodate your request to try both.

24-Sep-12
Have a great hunt Matt!

Good luck, Robb

24-Sep-12
Charlie/Matt: How many guys in camp? Any problems with bugs?

Sounds like the rut is either close or happening.

What's the temp like now?

Best of luck!

24-Sep-12
I believe their hunt is over and they are back

I just heard the temps were in the 70's today, black flies out and temps going in the 80's tomorrow.

24-Sep-12
Charlie and Matt

Good luck with the hunt, look forward to following you guys this week.

Myself and another Bowsiter are booked for next season with White Feather. We are headed out there on Sept 8th, hopefully that's not too early, should we push it back a week?

Bob

24-Sep-12
Very nice. Remember to give some details about your surroundings. It makes me already want to go to the rock! Mike

24-Sep-12

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Mark: Cog currently has only 3 Caribou tags per year and during the last 3 years all 9 tags have been filled by Bowsiters (most on the first day and most at least P&Y minimum). This years tags are also going to Bowsiters. "The Saint", aka Blayne St. James and his group are going in Mid-October. The attached photo is from last year when I had the pleasure of following "Mad Trapper", aka Tom Edgington around. He got his B&C stag the first day. There will be all new Caribou allocations starting in 2013 so be very careful and thorough in making any committments. Cog's Caribou area is INCREDIBLE but there are only 3 NR tags and 2 resident tags.

Inbowdude: There were 3 hunters in our group and there were others at another camp. No bugs where we were but it was too hot for moose movement except early and late. We averaged seeing 12 moose each day but would have done better if it was cooler. My guess is the peak rut will be around 10/7 this fall.

Xman: Go when you can. The key in Newfoundland is getting away from other hunters and having a guide that knows bow hunting. This is the hardest part.

Florida Mike: As you know from your 2010 trip to the "Rock" the bogs, ponds, timber and terrian of Newfoundland is unique in North America. We will have some nice photo's.

24-Sep-12
Great start! Looking forward to the rest of the hunt.

24-Sep-12
This is awesome Charlie and Matt! I can't wait to follow along.

Charlie, what was your clothing set-up? I understand it was Sitka, but what combination did you find yourself using the most?

Matt, could you tell us about your bow, arrows and broadheads?

25-Sep-12
Did you guys take "Day 2" off? It's hard to get any work done when I keep coming back to see what happened on Day 2 and it hasn't been posted yet!

25-Sep-12
Charlie is slackin...

25-Sep-12
Good stuff Charlie! Looking forward to following this one.

25-Sep-12
So here we sit and sir Charles has not loaded another days hunt yet.... You see the problem here is Charles doesn't remember most of us have the attention span of a hummingbird so we might not remember to check this thread if he drags it out toooooo long.... I'm just sayin, Mike

25-Sep-12
Florida Mike: I can upload my little photo's and stuff on threads but when it comes to the Bowsite Home Page Features we leave that stuff to the "Man"! All information is locked down in his secret studio. Soon enough though I'm sure. C

25-Sep-12
Good luck or congrats-- not sure which cuz I can't open the current feature on my IPhone -- am I missing something to connect to current feature with mobile phone??? When i click to current feature the last feature that pops up is Tims polar bear hunt not Matt's moose hunt--I get the thread but can't go to current feature with Matt n Charlie-- help!!!!

25-Sep-12
Clutch, If you can't open it you are ok. Nothing on there anyway. Come on Charlie. Mornings please. lol

25-Sep-12
Get em guys, I'm subscribed, a lot of work to do, good luck Matt, longbow and all, a real trophy if you stick one!

26-Sep-12
Charlie, what was your clothing set-up? I understand it was Sitka, but what combination did you find yourself using the most?

Matt, could you tell us about your bow, arrows and broadheads?

26-Sep-12
If you want a woodie, go with COG. It also helps if Charlie goes with you too!! And watch out for those $#%^ holes!

26-Sep-12
Really? No update? Really! Ok lite the fires boys we are gonna roast the lazy rascal that wont put day 2 up. Mike

26-Sep-12
I think the Board of Directors should look into this snafu of no day 2 action!!

26-Sep-12
Can't you put up day 3 since we had to wait for day 2 and it was a washout?

I'm begging...

26-Sep-12
I agree, Day 2 was pretty intense :)

At least the questions I asked were answered in the Day 2 update since Charlie didn't answer them on here, he is pretty sneaky! I like those Heritage arrows, I fletched up a dozen with flu flus last year.

26-Sep-12
After all this wait we get NADA! You could easily have made up some exciting story and given it to us. You have guys waiting with baited breath for some action, other guys are waiting with baited hooks:)

26-Sep-12
Whom had the best poker hand on day two?? Something? LOL.

26-Sep-12

Hunting in a Hurricane with video camera, torrential rain and high winds made no sense. We had an excellent day of hot coffee, good food and talking US politics with both cooks Sharon and Golda! It is neat how most Canadians know more about US politics than many Americans. But then again they don't get to see "The View" in Newfoundland:)

Here's a picture from Day 3. The Moose should be moving nicely.

26-Sep-12
Hmm... When we were there Charlie, our cook's name was not Sharon or Goldie?????

26-Sep-12
MT: That was Golda not Goldie and if it was John (like last year)I may have gone hunting:)

26-Sep-12
awwwwww, now that was disappointing. Waited a day for that? Come on! :)

26-Sep-12
XMan: 345 days and you'll be doing "your" hunt with Cog! Very cool!

26-Sep-12
Charlie - you're killing me here! Brian and I will be in route in 8 days.

27-Sep-12
Like sands through the hourglass....these are the days of Rehor hunts.

27-Sep-12
and here I thought Day 3 might already be up, I should just forget about this and come back in a week. We're all nuts

27-Sep-12
augh its 930 already where is this day 3

27-Sep-12
Good luck MAtt, What an encounter the first day!

Cant wait for the next report.

27-Sep-12
Best of luck Matt on delivering some airmail today!

Mark

27-Sep-12

Mark: Here is a Woodland Stag just coming out of Velvet in 2010.

27-Sep-12
You guys are into moose every day! It's only a matter of time now. ( hopefully) . Enjoy those " easy to walk on" bogs ! Lol!

27-Sep-12
I loved every minute of it and you know as well as I do seeing moose everyday is not a guarentee.

Matter a fact I never did see a moose but enjoyed seeing the land and every thing Newfie has to offer.

You are 100% about walking. Hip waders, 7 miles on bogs is work.

I did see P&Y/B&C caribou...wish I had a tag!

Can't wait for the other days.

27-Sep-12
Hi Charlie, I assume their are no wolves on the island or am I wrong. Wolves are doing a number on our elk and deer in WI...but this year a few will get to tag a wolf. Also, the moose drives are killin me. Doesn't the guide have faith in stalking or calling?

28-Sep-12
Wow, pretty exciting!

28-Sep-12
I don't believe there are any confirmed sightings of wolves on NF but coyotes have become a problem over the last 10 years. Wolves have become a larger problem in Quebec.

Mike

28-Sep-12
I heard this year that wolves have been confirmed on the north shore of Newfie. It could be just guide talk but I was told it had been confirmed via DNA.

Love the hunt Charlie!

28-Sep-12

Treefarm: Some very big Yotes on the Island but I have not heard any confirmation by Newfoundland/Labrador officials of wolves. The Caribou are being bothered by predation but NOT the Moose. The main reason for this is Caribou have traditionally calved in specific areas and predators (Coyotes, Bears, Lynx and Bald Eagles) have followed them around and hammered the calves before they hit that 6 week stage when survival rates are very good. There is a 5 year study going on which ends this year. The results will control future allocations of tags and management of the Woodland Caribou.

As for the "Moose Drives" our guide has hunted and guided this area for 33 years and evaluates each situation before deciding how to work the animals. We are hunting before the rut and tried calling and or stalking when appropriate. We went with the age old proverb of "don't guide the guide". I believe our guide is the best guide in Newfoundland. He has killed 28 bears by spot & stalk with archery gear and many moose as well. If you look above at Mad Trapper's, Boone & Crockett, Woodland Caribou it was killed at 4 yards by this method. BTW, You just may see some stalking and or calling success as the hunt goes on:))

This picture is from my 2010 hunt. "The TWINS"!

28-Sep-12
I also heard there was a wolf confirmed on the Northern peninsula this summer.

28-Sep-12
It was a real bummer losing that video camera but luckily when I bought it I purchased a 3 year replacement quarantee. I do have a back up of course and will use that one for tomorrows last day hunt.

That moose was a true Newfy giant!

28-Sep-12
I feel like I am there with you. My legs actually started aching as I thought back to last year.

Up until that hunt I had an incredible run on trips and mother nature humbled me. Not seeing a moose in NF is like not seeing a deer in TX - hard to do but it happens to 1 in 100.

I'll be honest I wish I could read every day right now I am enjoying it.

Sucks about the camera...

28-Sep-12
Charlie, Never step in a puddle in NFLD...as you found out they can be deep. Only step on the clumps of vegitation as I am sure your guide has now told you. Great thread, keep it coming and thanks

29-Sep-12

Interesting to see the Moose vitals. Very different from a deer. Where do you think Matt hit the Moose?

29-Sep-12

elkmtngear's Link
Arrow was definitely stuck in bone (rigid, not floppy)

Spine vs Shoulder Blade.

A couple inches down and it would have been a done deal!

I feel for you guys. Thanks for sharing this great hunt!

Best of Luck, Jeff

29-Sep-12
Charlie: I enjoyed following your hunt. It sounded great and all I can say is you saw moose. Thanks for sharing.

Like I said in an earlier post I went last year and enjoyed every minute of the hunt but I didn't see a moose. It was the first hunt I have gone on (almost 20 yrs) and not seen the animal I was chasing. I did see HUGE caribou but no tags available.

It was just bad luck and very warm temps.

Anyway, my question to you is you have been 8 times - how many times have you come back with an empty tag?

The reason I ask is you are one of the few that can give a realistic view of expectations.

Thanks in advance.

29-Sep-12
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Excellent footage of the shot. Sorry that you guys didn't find him

29-Sep-12

29-Sep-12
Congrats on a great adventure! Mike

29-Sep-12

If you freeze the video at second 48 then look at this vitals chart it sure looks like he hit the bottom of the back bone. See the blackspot. Ignore the arrow that says "Broadhead hole" because that was BB's shot placement years ago on his Moose. Thanks to BB for the photo.

29-Sep-12
Definitely just a tad too high and a non fatal hit. Bummer for sure but to an animal that size it's a fairly minor wound and the bull will be fine. Thanks for bringing us along.

29-Sep-12
Thanks for taking us along. Sorry it didn't end with the moose on the ground and I'm sure it was quite disappointing for all of you guys.

30-Sep-12
Thank you all for following my hunt. It was an experience I will never forget and hopefully someday I will get another opportunity to moose hunt again. It was a hard one to swallow after the track and the week we had. I wish my shot had been lower but those of us who live for this sport have all been there. I would like to thank my guide Nelson for he never gave up right until the end. He knew that country and how to get a bow hunter close to these moose, he was amazing! I would like to thank my Dad who kept up with us the whole time, carrying the camera gear, staying positive the whole time despite the weather and loss of the camera, he got it done right up to the moment with our little back up camera. It's not easy to give up the father son dynamics and we worked as a great team, it was great to do this with him! Though we didn't get the moose we have a new respect for those who do this on tv and for a living. I am proud of my performance and hope to keep archery alive by sticking with my longbow, nothing brings more joy to my life. Last, special thanks to Pat for having this site and giving us a place to share our experience and knowledge. He is a great man, wonderful father, and a heck of a bow hunter. I wish you all the best this bow season and may your arrows hit there mark.....

30-Sep-12
Great job Matt, that was a hard rewarding hunt. You did it right and will now have these memories to share for a life time. Your shot at that range was a great one, just off by a fraction. Loved seeing you held it together so well for the shot, bow arm still up as the arrow struck. John

30-Sep-12
Sorry about the bad hit. Thanks for taking us along, Matt and Charlie.

Charlie, what were you using for the back up camera? Still took some great video of the shot!

30-Sep-12
Great hunt, Rehor family!

Such is bowhunting. It can be he highest of high's and lowest of lows. Y'all created a great memory and adventure. Some folks don't believe in 'moral' victories, but we all hunt for our reasons.

That bull is fine. He may have his pride hurt a little bit and he'll probably be a little more leery of the next love sick cow he hears singing!

30-Sep-12
Matt/Charlie,

I checked and your equipment list showed you shooting a two bladed Phantom broadhead at 57 pounds. We all know how big moose are, but I am wondering if you think that the arrow hit directly ON a vertebrae instead of BETWEEN two vertebrae?

Just some natural curiosity about whether that set-up might have dropped that bull even though the shot was a bit high IF the arrow had struck in the disc between two vertebrae? My hearing isn't the best, but I don't hear a loud "whack" when the arrow hit him, and I would have expected that if you struck a vertebrae in the middle, it would have cracked pretty loud....but I also believed that if you hit him between the discs, he would have shown more effect of the impact.

Just wondering what your thoughts were, now that you have played this back a few times in your mind......

30-Sep-12
M-man, To me the shot was just below the spine at the very top where the ribs connect to the spine, IMO, had the arrow hit the spine there would have been less penetration than the video shows. I honestly think I hit just below the spine, but not low enough to hit high lungs.

30-Sep-12
Let's hope that no one uses the "V***" word!! (Void)

30-Sep-12
I was thinking the same thing Jake!

30-Sep-12
Jake: There was no loud crack at impact but he had to have hit some bone, some where which limited penetration and made the arrow rigid when he ran off (see vitals chart above and second 48 of the video). The two blade could have lodged between two bones. The reason I posted the Moose vitals chart was to show how difficult a high shot is and that a low shot has lots of killing area. Bottom line, shoot low on a moose. High lung shots are deadly on whitetails but it won't work on a moose.

Hopefully this can help at least one of us in the future!

Midwest: The back up camera is a little Canon Powershot 110 HS (about $200). Only has 5 power in Optical zoom but HD video and excellent for photo's.

Sage: I have been with three outfitters on my 8 hunts and had success on all but one of those hunts. Moose Caribou and Bear. Getting away from other hunters is job 1, getting an outfitter in a tuff draw quality area is job 2 and most important is getting a guide that understands bow hunting. If you have 2 of the three you have a good chance. Bou has been to Newfoundland as much as I have so perhaps he can add to this or PM him as well.

30-Sep-12
Man Matt, that's a rough go at it, but at least you were out there spending time with your family, that is what it is all about anyhow. Enjoying a good hunt with your old man will give you memories to last a lifetime.

Are you going to contiune hunting with the longbow, seems she has been giving you fits the past two years with the bears and now the moose. Either way, as long as you are having fun I don't really think it matters, was just wondering what your plan was.

30-Sep-12
Ohh, the longbow will humble you! It's never 'masterd' but it is seductive!

30-Sep-12
Please read my thank you post again Nick, your question was already answered...,

30-Sep-12
Great hunt guys! Thoroughly enjoyed following along. Tough luck on the shot Matt - thanks for posting it. I love seeing the raw truth even though it is disapointing sometimes. Very enjoyable to follow along. I love seeing the father-son team at it! Good luck the next time you guys are at it!

30-Sep-12
Great job Matt n Charlie---although you were as close as it comes to success, you just never know when you release an arrow from a long bow what the outcome will be--- I admire your drive to take such a large animal with that set up-- congrats are still in order for you n your Dad---

30-Sep-12
Florida Mike: As requested here's a clip which gives a good look at the Newfoundland terrain. Look familiar?

01-Oct-12
was that a long shot for you? I am not questioning your ethics one bit. Only trying to learn. I can shoot effectively to 80 yds with my compound set-up and would take an 80 yd shot on a moose if everything was right.

I had a cow at 73 yds this year and she walked broadside giving me a few oppetunities at 77 yds as well. It was first thing in the morning, light was dim and everything was not just perfect. I could have rushed and flung an arrow but I didn't. But I am all for taking a shot that the archer thinks he has a high chance of killing the animal.

so I ask because I am getting into traditional archery and just learning about other peoples limits is interesting. I am not ready to hunt with traditional gear but even when i do I feel like 30 yds would be a long shot.

01-Oct-12
Hmmmm. I don't know Matt or Charlie. They both seem like great guys and complete gentlemen.

But I'm not sure why there is talk here about a vertebrae hit as the arrow appears to be sticking out the side of a rib.

I do recall a thread some time ago featuring a guy by the name of Tred Barta who was on TV flinging arrows at roughly the same distance in the same country at woodland caribou. He got completely railed on this site for that. He was even called to the carpet for it later during a Bowsite interview. He admitted that he got caught up in the excitement of the moment.

So to answer Jimbob's question: no, you cannot expect to be legitimately effective on a bull moose at 35 yards with a 57 lbs. long bow. 17 yards, yes. But at 35 yards you can reasonably expect to achieve the same result as was shown here.

01-Oct-12
Hyrax, in my post above analyzing the shot I clearly state that I believe the arrow was below the spine, to me it appeared to hit right where the ribs meet the spine. Had the shot been lower I believe the moose would have died with a high lung hit. I believe that a well placed arrow from my 57 pound longbow would have been just fine to harvest the moose. I appreciate your opinion but disagree that my bow was not sufficient enough at that distance. As far as getting wrapped up in the moment, I do not pull up my rangefinder and put the proper pin to the vitals and shoot. I look where I want to hit and let my subconscious run the shot. That is how I shoot my longbow. If I'm comfortable that I can make the shot, I take it, plain and simple. Jimbob, obviously with archery gear I prefer to be as close as possible, every archer knows their limitations and what they are comfortable shooting for distance. Whenever I draw on an animal I try to make the best shot possible whether point blank or at a greater distance. All the best to you with your archery equipment

01-Oct-12
Charlie and Matt. I enjoyed the hunt and apppreciate your honesty. I feel for you Matt, and have been there.

I have no doubt you will get your bull sooner, rather than later. Well done guys and thanks for bringing us this hunt :)

01-Oct-12
Over 15 elk hunts I have been to that same sad place on 2 wonderful bull elk that were not recovered after much effort. It is an awful feeling and no reflection on you as a hunter IMHO.

Either way nature takes care of that bull. Reflect on how fun and challenging the hunt was and the wonderful memories with each other. At your age there will be another bull to hunt.

01-Oct-12
Great post and great hunt.. Thanks guys. Now we have "hyrax" who I have not seen post prior to this and he questions the shot as not being an ethical shot. Matt, don't even respond to him as all of us here know that you and your dad are class acts when it comes to hunting.

Thanks.

01-Oct-12
Sorry but I didn't say one word about ethics. That is up to the guy operating the equipment.

I said that if you are going to release an arrow from a 57 lbs. longbow at a bull moose 35 yards away you are coming home with your tag in your pocket much, much, more often than you are coming home with moose backstraps.

Matt said he disagrees and that's fine.

01-Oct-12

Jimbob's embedded Photo
Jimbob's embedded Photo
Thanks for the respectful answer Mat. My brother shot a nice bull last year and hit him high. We tracked for 8 hrs and over a mile. My brother recalls the shot as perfect right and left but in the top third of the moose. That just not a kill shot on moose.

Many people do not realize how low the spine is on a moose. I believe the spine is low b/c they need LOTS of muscle above the spine to hold up their big head and antlers. The following pic really shows how low the spine is.

Here is a trailcam pic of my dad's bull from a few yrs ago. The bull just walked past my Dad and he put a perfect pass through shot through both lungs (in the pic you can see the small blood spot and blood in the nostrils). The moose ran down to the trail cam and quartered to my Dad so he tried to put a second shot in (that is the arrow form the pic). That arrow that you can see in the picture has the broadhed securely buried in a vertebrae. I butchered the bull myself and removed the vertebrae with the broad stuck in it. I could not pull the broadhead out, it was secured in the bone. Also in the pic you can see my Dad in his treestand in the background

01-Oct-12
Jimbob, Thanks for sharing the story and the trail cam photo of your Dads moose. After talking to many people and once again hearing the story about your brother I think its safe to say when picking your spot on a moose make sure its lower than the top third of the body.

02-Oct-12
Great pictures, video and story. Incredibly gorgeous country. Thanks for lugging us along.

02-Oct-12
Mr. Barta shot at no stationary animals within 35 yards on that infamous Woodland caribou show. The bou were running hither and yon and 50+ yards (according to Tred) and it was raining arrows.

No comparison to Matt's shot

02-Oct-12
Hither and yon. First time for those 2 words on Bowsite and Bou is right on with his critique of Tred's hunt.

04-Oct-12
I could feel the hunter's pain when the arrow hit high. A less than ethical person would have deleted the video and bragged that he would have taken game if he had the opportunity. Thank you for sharing a real life experience. I NEVER shoot unless I am sure of a positive result. I will not say that what I am sure of is always what I expected. I can think of a tree or two that turned a sure shot into a bad miss.

05-Oct-12
Thanks for sharing, for having the integrity to be honest about the shot and not recovering the moose. It's sometimes a unfortunate reality in hunting, it happens when apex predators in the wild hunt too. I haven't read all the posts so I apologize if this was already asked. Why did you stop tracking after only 4 hours and is 57lbs at 29 inches really enough for a bull moose (even if you don't hit solid bone)?

11-Oct-12
Assuming a good, heavy arrow, 57lb@29" is plenty for a bull moose. Shot placement is eveything.

• Sitka Gear