Brotsky 18-Jun-13
CurveBow 18-Jun-13
Bowfreak 19-Jun-13
fuzzy 20-Jun-13
hunt'n addict 20-Jun-13
25-Jan-13
United we stand, divided we fall

25-Jan-13
I am 110% with you on this Pat !.... United we Stand Divided we Fall.

25-Jan-13
Well done.

Zero Tolerance for infringement on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Period.

25-Jan-13
Nice...

25-Jan-13
We feel this is as much a part of our lives as breathing the air. It is not a fad, it is US!

25-Jan-13
Biden is a moron. If it came down to it I would feel pretty good about my chances if I had an AR and the other guy had a double barrel shotgun (Biden's ultimate personal defense weapon.

25-Jan-13
just awesome. We are not the radical elements protrayed by the media nor the frige minority eluded to by our "representatives". Thank you for confronting those that move against our 2nd amendment and clearly defining what we are fighting for. I'm proud to be a part of this community (both Bowsite and all those that subscribes to this belief system).

25-Jan-13
Perfect. Thanks, Pat.

25-Jan-13
well done, thank you Pat

25-Jan-13
Excellent!

25-Jan-13
Well stated.

""When lasting peace replaces evil let me know. For now, I refuse to be a victim. Not from evil people, or from agenda-driven political ideologues and a complicit media. I refuse to be powerless.""

25-Jan-13
Outstanding Pat!

25-Jan-13
Thank you, Pat. it is clear that the president and his allies intend to subvert the constitution, and we are only one Supreme Court justice away from letting them. - Jay Campbell

25-Jan-13
well said

25-Jan-13
Very well said Pat.

This needs to be shared far and wide. I think the idea of using Facebook is a good one; it will reach a much broader and less informed (on the issue) audience.

25-Jan-13
Well stated. Shared it on the Facebook too.

25-Jan-13
Amen. Very well said. Thank you.

25-Jan-13
excellent

25-Jan-13
Great article and well written. Thanks for sharing your personal experience from that terrifying situation.

25-Jan-13
I'm going to post a copy of one of the better writings on this topic I've seen in years. It was recently seen as a response to one of the articles regarding "Biddens" rants. It's worth reviewing.

"First let me preface my remarks by stating that I am not a 'gun guy'. I do not hunt. I do not target shoot. I do not collect guns. I do not belong to the NRA. I do not live in a 'rough' part of town. I own no guns, nor have I ever needed to have one. The last time I fired a shot in anger was in 1968.

That being said, there are many people today, (myself included), who have a deep, (and a legitimate), distrust of the government.

They believe that it is in the nature of governments to accumulate and to concentrate more and more power over people's lives. More power leads to more control.

It has always been so. As Lord Acton so famously stated, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Meaning that those who are given power over others will use that power.

Even if the government is not specifically intending to do so, it is the nature of large governments that this occurs.

Now the government may espouse their desire to help the citizenry, but when individuals disagree with what the government determines is in their best interest, then those in power use coercion. Sometimes subtle sometimes not so subtle.

This concentration of power and increasing coercion can be gradual (like slowly turning up the heat on a lobster in a pot), or sudden (like dropping him into boiling water).

One need only be a casual student of history to see the process at work again and again and again.

The Second Amendment is *our* guarantee that this loss of individual freedom and increasing control of our lives cannot be done with impunity.

One need only look at what is occurring in Syria today or in Mexico, or any of a dozen other locations around the globe to see examples of what happens when the government controls the people and when the people are defenseless to resist.

Now you may feel that this distrust is not warranted, or that it verges on paranoia. Many might agree with you. However many more, would not.

The Founding Fathers believed fervently that ordinary citizens needed to be protected from an oppressive government. If they had not, then there would not have been a Second Amendment in the first instance.

They were *very* distrustful of the concentration of power into the hands of the few. They set up safeguards against it by diluting that power into different branches and different levels. They tried to define precisely just who could do what, and what things they could not do. They added further That being said, there are many people today, (myself included), who have a deep, (and a legitimate), distrust of the government.

They believe that it is in the nature of governments to accumulate and to concentrate more and more power over people's lives. More power leads to more control.

The Founding Fathers, I am certain, would be aghast at the degree to which the government controls the lives of Americans today. Indeed, they went into rebellion over transgressions less onerous than what we today have allowed to be imposed upon us.

Read the Declaration of Independence. Look at the reasons that are enumerated there. They speak of an oppressive government seeking to impose its will upon the citizenry.

The Second Amendment was NEVER about what type of arms citizens might own or about what the technological developments of the future might bring. It was not about hunting. It was not about home defense. It was not about target shooting. It was about the ability of citizens to oppose and resist the oppression of a tyrannical government.

There are those Americans that honestly feel that this point of view is not applicable to the 21st century; that such concerns are the things of history. They label those like myself, as 'gun nuts' or as paranoid, even dangerous.

If you are one that believes that this distrust is stuff out of a dusty history book, and has no relevance in the 21st century, then I urge you again to to look around more carefully.

Those of us that support the Second Amendment feel that it's relevance is as valid now as it was when it was first penned. “Finn” "

I would like to believe for the purposes of court arguments that personnel protection was one of the founding fathers elemental thoughts inspiring the second amendment. Frankly greater minds than mine have even said that to be so.

I'm not so sure, for I tend to believe that the right to self determination and self defense was deemed such a self evident truth that being required to define it was not even considered necessary. Maybe not, certainly not so in todays world.

In any case this author eloquently displays an understanding that the second amendment is for all of us, regardless of our hobbies, passions or past times, and that we do indeed need to speak with one voice.

25-Jan-13
Great article but I have to disagreed. What or how do we deal with unstable people from getting guns to hurt us?

25-Jan-13
Perfect...nice job Pat

25-Jan-13
I don't say much about religion or politics on my Facebook Page. I just post post photos, as I don't like all the in fighting of such stuff. But I put a link to your well written article. It makes one think. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

25-Jan-13
Great write up!

25-Jan-13
UNITED WE STAND !!!

25-Jan-13
YES! Well said and I am with you all the way.

25-Jan-13

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
I really appreciate you posting this Pat. I was hoping more sportsmen and women would come forth in an effort to combat this tyranny that is threatening our country. I have included a photo of a doe I harvested a few years ago with my 6.8 SPC AR-15 as proof to Coumo that some of us DO use these guns to hunt with lol! JusPassin your response was very well worded as well

25-Jan-13
United we stand! They need to fall! JJ

25-Jan-13
The guns for hunting angle was introduced by the liberals to gain incremental advances in gun confiscation. When the founding fathers brought forth the second ammendment it was because they knew the first amendment would not matter without the second. It became part of the constitution to keep government in check, period.

Whenever this hunting excuse is brought up it should be responded to by facts about it's origin rather than yes I do need an AK for hunting. The 2nd ammendment has Nothing to do with hunting.

25-Jan-13
Excellent point Charlie!

If you really think about it, a politician who wants to strip a citizen of their rights are correct in fearing an armed citizenry.

They know that if we citizens are armed, especially with effective fighting arms, we will be much harder to turn into subjects.

" The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. "

-Thomas Jefferson

25-Jan-13
Excellent!!!! Shared it on my FB page.

25-Jan-13
If you don't belong to the NRA please join today!!! They give no quarter and they have muscle because of the power of millions of members.....

25-Jan-13
"Biden is a moron. If it came down to it I would feel pretty good about my chances if I had an AR and the other guy had a double barrel shotgun (Biden's ultimate personal defense weapon."

I do not disagree with you, but, be careful and don't get hooked when you take the bait. I fear that the more this point is argued the better Biden's stance against the ar15 gets. It's only a semi auto rifle and if the non sporting and defenseless public views the ar as a much superior defense weapon then it could backlash. I would say 'OK Mr. Biden, if it is sub par then what's the fuss? In that case, good thing the whacko left his shotgun in the car and didn't take it into the school or it could have been worse.'

25-Jan-13
Thanks for taking the time to put that together Pat. Well written!

25-Jan-13

Jay Campbell's embedded Photo
Jay Campbell's embedded Photo
Here is a post I just made on my Facebook pages. GUNS: Can we have a reasoned discussion?

Here's a post I just made to a very good friend about guns. I removed his name and post because I don't have his permission to highlight his position, and he'll jump in anyway if he wants to. His position is not illogical, nor uninformed, its just wrong as a practical and legal matter. Yes, my only claim to fame is a book on archery longbows, but I was a police officer and medic and firefighter (and attorney - still am), and I believe in the second amendment completely and even occasionally fire a shotgun (see picture). Folks, we need a reasoned debate and calm heads.Good people disagree with us - they are wrong, but still good people :-). I refuse to abandon friends because they disagree with me - I also refuse to give in. Anyway, here's the post. maybe it's a start. - Jay Campbell.

"Does restricting guns from law abiding citizens reduce crime? The data says no. Australia, England. The data does say that significant numbers of crimes are prevented by citizens with guns. And the data is overwhelming that the most restrictive gun laws in America do not deter gun crime (Illinois, Washinton, DC), while gun crimes drop where concealed carry is allowed (Florida, Texas). More importantly, the second amendment requires that citizens have uninfringed access to firearms, for the purpose of preventing an overarching government (not for hunting). Read Madison, Jefferson, Washington. No arguing historical definitions of firearms unless you will do the same for the first amendment. No arguing the "Militia" definition, the Supreme Court decided that. Take a look at the great Penn and Teller second amendment lessons on YouTube. Funny, and lawfully/grammatically/historically correct. Where's the plan to enforce the existing laws, instead of writing new ones? I agree we have a great problem. As a start, we should actually enforce the current laws against lying on firearm background checks (Biden has admitted there is NO enforcement currently). Then we should realistically agree that there is zero functional difference between single shot "SEMI-Automatic rifles and the proposed definition of "assault weapons" except cosmetics (pistol grip, barrel shroud, muzzle suppressor, folding stock - all cosmetic). There is no reasoned debate. tell you what - explain to me how any new law will solve the Chicago gun homicide problem better than enforcing the current laws, and I'm your Huckleberry. - Jay."

25-Jan-13
As in any other part of the free world, Pat, we need to find a better way of keeping the firearms out of the hands of the whackos and metally unstable and stop senstionalizing the acts of the aformentioned.

25-Jan-13
Succinctly said.

25-Jan-13
Good stuff. I was called an "extremist" on Facebook because of my taking a stance against the threats to our second Amendments.

25-Jan-13
You keep hearing them say noone needs an AR for hunting. I DO! Bowhunting is my passion and I love it. But, high volume hog control is my business. I use Remingtong R-25s in 308 caliber with 20 round clips.

I HAVE A VALID HUNTING REASON TO OWN ARS! But, that doesn't really matter. The 2nd Amendment is reason enough.

Piers Morgan keeps talking about fully automatic ARs are banned. I thought they required a special permit to own. Which is it?

25-Jan-13
Bravo!! The only suggestion I can add is stop "preaching to the choir". Get this article into the public media. Let everybody know how they are being fooled into believing that our politicians are doing something to earn their salaries.

25-Jan-13
Pat, not all gun owners are NRA members and many of us do not share your unwavering commitment to represent the interests of gun manufacturers. Getting assault rifles off the shelves (& off the streets) is just one of many actions necessary to make our Country safer. As Presidents Bush and Reagan have said, assault rifles are not necessary for self defense, target shooting or hunting. You are not acting in the best interest of America when you lobby for assault rifles and undermine the U.S. Commander and Chief. You are simply lobbying for the politically powerful gun industry. For home defense, my 12 gauge will do just fine. I share my opinion with full respect and appreciation for those with alternative points of view.

25-Jan-13
Nicely put Pat!

25-Jan-13
It's on my wall.

25-Jan-13
Amen Pat - Recommend we all let our employees(politicians) know we vote, donate and work for those who support and defend the Constitution as they are sworn to do. If they don't comply with our standards they'll be fired

25-Jan-13
As a gun owner, avid bow hunter and responsible AR owner, why should it be up for discussion if someone can buy a semi-auto rifle, because of how it looks? A Ruger Mini-14 with monte carlo stock is the same as one with a handgrip or adjustable pull stock. I am tired of the "Assault Weapon" term being thrown around like it is a rifle that has a mind of it's own and fires nothing but full auto all the time. What about the clinically depressed, heavily medicated fool HOLDING the weapon?

I respect those that do not wish to own a truly magnificant piece of weaponry. And I respect your voice in saying so.

However with Eric Holder being the largest gun runner in the North and the Bad Guys carry AK-47's here. Some of the last home invasions here have been armed individuals with AK-47s...... I would rather have a AR than a shotgun any day. The AR is a SURPURB home defense weapon, if they weren't, why would SWAT Entry teams use them. They use shotguns sure, but when it comes down to fighting fire with fire..... I want my AR.

Dave

25-Jan-13
Pat, Thank You. Very well said and I hope we all can get that message out. I know I will be doing my part to get this message to my elected Officials and private citizens, whether Gun owners or not.

Thanks again

25-Jan-13
nickd, i am not a nra member (yet), i also do not need or want a ar type rifle or big mag. i do believe the ban and open ended policy opens up the door for the regime to stomp further on our constitution, the actions in the past speaks clear. my line in the sand is here and now. great stuff pat

25-Jan-13
Here, here Pat, good words...

25-Jan-13
Thank you!

25-Jan-13
The way to control maniacs with guns is to arm yourself and others. They seek gun free zones, remove them. If you give these tyrants (current govt.) an inch they will take a mile. The ban on big mags and ARs/govt. controlled "back ground check" will be the inch. Support the NRA. Good article.

25-Jan-13
Only in the last month I started locking my doors at night. And any time I leave my house I never lock it. But everything has changed in my world sence The King of the United States has declared war on my gun rights. I have a concealed weapons permit but I hardly ever carry my gun except when I travel Now I have it with me at all times. We need to stop these guys in there tracks.

25-Jan-13
Well done Pat. My 1-30-13 column is entirely devoted to gun control and my 2-6-13 col covers the ESOS cancellation and the great solidarity of sportsmen. Although I live in a state that is opposed to gun control measures by a majority, there does exist a few that do not understand.

25-Jan-13
Thanks Pat for takeing the time to voice support for our 2nd ammendment rights! I too had a bad experience a few years back, and your right its no fun. My story differs as I did have my Glock and that's all it took to turn the tables. Could have turned out differently for me.

"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

25-Jan-13
Thanks Pat for takeing the time to voice support for our 2nd ammendment rights! I too had a bad experience a few years back, and your right its no fun. My story differs as I did have my Glock and that's all it took to turn the tables. Could have turned out differently for me.

"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

25-Jan-13
Thanks for a great article Pat! I posted it on facebook and forwarded it to all my email friends.

Thanks for Bowsite!

25-Jan-13
Very good article Pat, I sent an email to all on my email list with a link to it. You made a powerful case for self-defense by talking about their children. It drives me nuts that the media and politicians keep using 'assault weapon' as a term but few have any idea what it is they are describing. I know many of my friends immediately think of a machine gun.

I hope never to need a defensive weapon yet I carry one nearly all the time. When someone gives me a little static about carrying I tell them I understand their position and if we are presented with a life threatening situation I will not defend them if that is their wish. It at least gets them thinking a little.

25-Jan-13
I recommended it!! Thank you Pat!!!! I feel the same way. I don't hunt with a gun either but the 2nd amendment should stand and not be infringed upon.

25-Jan-13
Good article.

I encourage everyone to write their elected officials expressing your support for the 2nd Amendment.

25-Jan-13
an "assault weapon" is what ever weapon you are being assaulted with. the point is we as a free country can choose what ever weapon we want to defend ourselves. those that have stated we will be more safe by getting the AR style rifles from law abiding citizens are not looking at facts. and those that say their trusty old shotgun is all they need i hope that there are not 6 or 7 badguys entering your home or i hope you can reload fast under a stressful situation. Side note people under the influence of narcotics do not always go down on the first shot like they do in the movies!

25-Jan-13
I could not agree more with the article. Pat thanks for boiling down thru the political smokescreen.

I am a gun owner. I do hunt with a bow and guns. I pass on this knowledge on to any younger generation members of my family. As long as they desire to learn to respect and safe handling of guns.

I too have had that personal experience. My experience was not a single individual though. I think my experience also shows the need why the amount of rounds should not be limited.

This event was the Los Angeles riots. The business was off from Normandie Ave. So to refresh the memories because its been a decade. This is where rioters dragged Denny out of his truck and caved his head in with a brick. Where the police abandoned the area to let the rioters do what they wanted. There were not enough police to control this situation. Where firemen were shot at while trying to put out the fires set by rioters. Where the police would allow business owners to protect their own and only go into the area to rescue them when the owners ran out of ammunition. Ultimately letting the rioters to loot, destroy, and burn the newly abandoned business. The police would not resupply ammunition to the owners. Where the army and national guard were not properly equipped to intervene for days. Where the government was not able to protect its citizens for a WEEK.

I realize this is a rare occurrence, but riots have happened many times. And one was enough for me. But it does demonstrate that the delusional suspect is not always a single or trio of individuals. It also demonstrates were the mass rioters may only be armed with bricks, and the individual needs hundreds of rounds and large capacity magazines. The government itself cannot always protect its law abiding citizens. And to limited the magazine size and the amount of ammunition an individual can have has proven to be deadly to those law abiding citizens abandoned by the local police and poorly prepared national guard.

And as a final note, the political smoke screen about the Los Angeles riots is they now try to label them the Los Angeles Civil Disturbance or the Los Angeles Civil Unrest. A week long looting, arson, and killing spree is not a mere disturbance or unrest.

25-Jan-13
Thanks Pat!

25-Jan-13
I stand with you, Pat, and with all of my fellow Sporting Brothers and Sisters, fellow citizens of the United States of America.

25-Jan-13
Very Good Pat!

25-Jan-13
Thanks Bowsite

25-Jan-13
Thanks Pat, very well written, and it express my feelings exactly.

25-Jan-13
Add me to the list. I agree 110%.

It isn't about hunting. It is about freedom.

25-Jan-13
Well done, thanks!

25-Jan-13
Thank you Pat. It is a God given right to protect yourself, and the ones you love. Folks, please consider joining the NRA to help protect our FREEDOMS.

25-Jan-13
Great article and perfectly worded. I will post it on my facebook page too!

25-Jan-13
Thanks Pat! I shared as usual! BB I understand why you don't share as I have been unfriended by a few. But Oh well.. we probably were not real friends anyways. I like my constitution and bill of rights more than people that think I am some kind of Idiot. Bob.

25-Jan-13
Thank you for taking the time Pat, well done.

25-Jan-13
Very, very well written. Outstanding.

25-Jan-13
Dumbest thing I heard all day:

NickD: "Getting assault rifles off the shelves (& off the streets) is just one of many actions necessary to make our Country safer. "

You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts (quoting a guy I heard on the radio).

Removing these rifles from the shelves and streets will make us LESS safe, not more. They are used far more often to deter crime than commit crime.

Feel free to turn in your arms, If you are lucky, should the time come, maybe someone else will protect you with their AR.

25-Jan-13
Pat, well done and bravo! for saying what we all feel.

I have passed your editorial on to several friends and posted links on other forums. Viral huh? It hasn't even gotten rolling yet.

25-Jan-13
I grew up with guns and handle them well. But my first deer was with a 60# recurve bow at age 19. I love nature, camping, hunting, canoeing and am deeply concerned about our environment. But I am sad to see such division among fellow Americans over something that needs to be solved together. The 2nd Amendment talks about a well regulated militia and the right to bear arms. Lets be real clear about this. Militia is defined as a military force of civilians to supplement a regular army in an emergency. And regulated is defined as "control or supervise something by means of rules and regulations." Back when the 2nd was written the weapons consisted of muskets and thats about it. So our society in 2013 is way beyond what the 2nd speaks of. No one is trying to take away any one's right to bear arms. The current question is can we have a discussion about what is right for society. Can we stop shouting about our rights and start talking about our responsibilities as a good citizens? The only regulation trying to pass is to limit high capacity magazines and automatic or semiautomatic weapons -- not to prohibit us from owning our shotguns, handguns, rifles or bows. So lets push for honest discussion together and stop the hair raising, hoof stomping posture that gets no one any where fast. When you look at recent history, all the school murders have been with, not hunting guns, but with the ones that we are trying to regulate, like the 2nd Amendment says we should do: "Well regulated". And think about it, has anyone heard of a semiautomatic military style rifle with large magazine saving a civilian? Ever? No, they only are the ones used in the massacres. If we don't regulate our society what's to keep us civilians from owning armor piercing bullets, bazookas, flame throwers, small bombs, tanks and so forth. No lets show some intelligent reasoning and know that our rights, the rights of 99% of us will not be lessened by reasonable regulation. There is an old saying that if we are not part of the solution then we are the problem. I vote to support reasonable regulation. I encourage NRA members to lobby for a reasoned approach instead of the blustery, cloud of smoke put up to conceal the real change that our society needs.

25-Jan-13
Nicely done Pat

26-Jan-13
Starhorse....".And think about it, has anyone heard of a semiautomatic military style rifle with large magazine saving a civilian? Ever? No, they only are the ones used in the massacres."...................

I can actually think of one instances where the police had to borrow such weapons from local gun shops and residents when the police themselves were under armed.

I think most swat team also carry those type of weapons and protect and save civilians all the time.

And to the 2nd Amendment has to be locked into only the weapons in existence at the time of it writing........I think the logic is flawed..........the writers intended a modern and competent militia. There is no need for a weak militia. A weak militia are just walking body bags. In 1770 that was black powder.............In 2010 that is semi automatic actions. In fact your argument you stated the militia should supplement a regular army in a time of emergency. That tells me militia should be at least trained in the basic infantry rifle of the army. And that is not a black powder musket but has a fully auto mode.

And if the current regulations were enforced.......we would not even need more regulations.

26-Jan-13
Well said Pat!

26-Jan-13
I too have stared down the end of a gun on more than one occasion. I have had knives pulled on me and I have been jumped by thugs in an attempt to rob me and once just because I said something two thugs didn't like. They both jumped me and found out the hard way that I am a little more than a push over. I'm still here. And twice I nearly got blew up when in the Air Force. I know all about the possibilities of evil. "We must stand together"!

26-Jan-13
Pat,

Well thought out and nicely worded. Ithink everything you said is true. I encourage everyone to write their policticians and tell them guns are the problem. We believe in the 2nd admendment and will not wavier or change its meaning.

They should vocus on the real problems in this country. We have a culture cricus. Lets start with addressing mental health issues,Hollywood, the gaming video industry, and the music industry. There lies the real culprits. They influence more people children then any other thing is this country.

amen,

Tundra

26-Jan-13
Starhorse, While I believe we already have enough gun laws, that was a very well thought-out response.

I don't believe our forefathers invisioned our current arsenal (remote guided missles, grenade launchers, jet fighters, nuclear & chemical weapons, ect).

Where do we draw the line in the sand in regards to personal protection? My personal answer is our current laws are adequate. Just enforce them!

26-Jan-13
Thank you Pat,very well said.

26-Jan-13
Thank You for sharing! Very well said!

Starhorse- there is a thread on the community forum titled " Educated firearm owner VS Idiot anchorman" that you should see. It will clear up some of your misconceptions with rational and realistic information.

26-Jan-13
To have the VP of the USA say we can't enforce the laws is completely ridiculous...I mean really ....

Starhorse it is way beyond high capacity clips

Well said pat

26-Jan-13
awesome pat, thank you!

26-Jan-13
Thanks Pat, Well written.

26-Jan-13
NickD and Starhorse,

As I am a veteran I have raised my right hand and swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States. That vow was not nullified on my ETS date. While we may not drill and practice marching in formation, have no doubt that if needed the 30,000,000+ veterans in this country would come together as a militia to augment the US military should the need arise.

26-Jan-13
I find the post of standing together slightly hypocritical? I have posted pictures of animals that were shot with guns on your forum, only to have them deleted? I asked why bowsite was part of the hunting community, yet they didn't allow posts of gun kills. I was told it was a bow only forum. These pictures were of me and my 15 year old son posing a picture of two tom turkeys we doubled on? I hope that you reconsider your stance on this subject. In my honest opinion, it seemed as if you resent gun hunting, and trust me, many of your members hunt with guns, and feel the same way I do. Yes, archery has a long tradition, but so does the annual gun deer opener, as well as spring turkey. I wonder why bowsite has had such a disliking to any other weapons other than a bow? This includes the crossbow as well as the gun. I hope bowsite will wake up, and embrace any LEGAL hunting method in the future. I'm sorry our 2nd amendment rights have to be at stake for your forum to come on board. I understand your point isn't about hunting, and more about or rights as gun owners, but the truth of the matter is, these gun owners are overwhelmingly gun hunters. I think it would serve this forum well to at least have one forum set aside for gun hunting, just to see if the influx of visitors would grow to four million (or more) per year?

I have bow hunted deer for 31 years. I no longer hunt deer with the gun, but I did participate mostly due to tradition. I do however hunt turkey and duck with the gun. My passion is archery, but I value and respect all forms of hunting as long as it is legal. It sounds like you do too?

26-Jan-13
I could personally care less about these mislabeled “assault” rifles and high capacity magazines as I just don’t get why some are so passionate about them. However, that being said, I do care about my shotguns and handguns. So, when I see all of the talk represented by one statement above: “The only regulation trying to pass is to limit high capacity magazines and automatic or semiautomatic weapons -- not to prohibit us from owning our shotguns, handguns, rifles or bows ” – I can’t help but think, what is going to happen when one of these nut-cases goes into an unarmed movie theater or school with a couple of concealed sawed off Winchester Model 12s plus a couple of hand guns and perpetrates a similar unthinkable act? There is no doubt in my mind that the same amount of damage could be inflicted with that scenario. Then I believe “their” next step will be, in fact, going after our shotguns and hand guns with the same amount of intensity we are seeing in the current atmosphere. I am really saddened that our society has become so polarized that relatively reasonable individuals on both sides of the issue cannot evolve a solution we can all live with.

26-Jan-13
I don't know when the last time you read the Declaration of Independence was, but its a good read, and will make you think. This is the second paragraph, and I think its interesting. I think that it sums up what our government is turning into, no only on gun control, but with trying to make decisions for us with their own agenda in mind. We have drifted to far from common sense, ethics, and God.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are , than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and , pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute , it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and , all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

26-Jan-13
Pat ,you ever think of running for Congress!!!!You would have my Vote!!!! Excellent Article

26-Jan-13
Very well written it makes good common sense something our nutjob administration cannot comprehend.If the division in this country continues there is going to be some hell break loose I refuse to be unarmed if that occurs.Lewis

26-Jan-13
starhorse

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

The second amendment could have been written like the above statement, if that was the intention of the 2A. That IS NOT what it says....that is not what it means.

"A well regulated militia" means a well trained or well prepared militia....not regulated by the gov't....

There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law....I get sick of people trying to twist things based on technicalities.

The intent of the 2A is very clear.

26-Jan-13
Thanks Pat. Well written.

26-Jan-13
I had to weigh in. I am a member of the NRA. But I think they are totally missing the boat on their argument for keeping weapons in the hands of citizens. Most people don't think about Constitutional law.....they just don't. So using that as an argument for gun ownership is technically correct, it misses the mark on most Americans.

The lefties are correct...no one NEEDS and assault rifle. Which is true under normal circumstances. Just like no one NEEDS 12 air bags in their car until something really bad happens like a head on collision with a semi. Then an air bag is pretty handy. Responsible citizens need military style weapons when things go rally wrong...like the Rodney King riots. I was there. So NRA use that analogy. Impossible to poke holes in.

The argument the NRA should use is this to win the hearts and minds of the masses" "We will support any type of gun/ammo/capacity restriction as long as the civilian government agencies also adopt the same restrictions. If citizens are not allowed to carry assault weapons neither are the police, FBI, ATF, Homeland Security etc."

The logic is infallible. If less weapons make the law abiding citizens safe then there is no need for the government to have them either.

The debate is over, the lefties shut up, and we go on about our lives.

Come on Wayne...it is simple. To the masses the NRA looks like a bunch of gun toting kooks. You may be right, but if you keep up your current campaign you will lose the war.

26-Jan-13
NickD

The primary reason for the second amendment is to protect against a tyrannical government... Period! How will that be done without a high capacity equal to that of our government?

With a revolver?shotgun? Single shot rifle?

Your statement is foolish! And and also shows a lack of understanding to our 2nd amendment rights!

26-Jan-13
I am with you and every law abiding gun owner in America Pat. Scentman

26-Jan-13
Amen Pat I have been where you have as well. I stand behind our brothers and the constitution!

26-Jan-13
Very well said Pat.

26-Jan-13
stop and ponder this do u guys think that the writer of the second amendment in your constitution could have envisioned what is happening in the country NOW? Yes, I admit that gun control does not reduce crime but, better ways and terms for access to firearms ARE necessary in all countries. The long gun registry in Canada was enacted back in the nineties and the people fought tooth and nail and our present gov. abolished it after a huge fiasco of spending, so you see gov. do react to the wishes of the people. Change the gov? I think that is what elections are for. As has been stated meant times before, " just my opinion"

26-Jan-13
as the country song goes this house is protected by the good lord and a gun well this house is protected by the good lord and many guns very well said

26-Jan-13
Pat, thanks for this well-written feature. We sportsman need to stick together and stand up for what's right, before it is taken from us.

Honestly, I think the gun-banners just don't understand the magnitude of what they are suggesting, or the resolve of who they are facing.

26-Jan-13
Pat thanks for all you do and for writing what I could not be able to put to print,but I did post it on face book.Thanks agsin. Steve

26-Jan-13
Very well stated. I sent this link to every person in my email contacts and posted on Facebook !

26-Jan-13
Great article. Don't forget to hound every elected official you can and continue to hound them. We must stop the madness. whats next, too many arrows in a quiver??? Al

26-Jan-13
So glad to see this thread. AMEN!! If we lose our 2nd Amendment rights, we will lose more rights in the end. I'm a bowhunter but I'm not naive enough to think this will not eventually lead to other rights being taken away.

26-Jan-13
Pat,well put!!

Make no mistake! they want our guns!! It was proven that the accessories on a firearm does "not" make it more dangerous or deadly. A magazine is an accessory.

A "fire arm", a completely inanimate object (left untouched) can do NO harm.. it's "who" touches it, we should be worried about.

The U.S constitution is Non-negotiable,the bill of rights was put inplace to protect the people from the government. READ IT! UNDERSTAND IT!

A government that tells me what type of firearm that I can use to defend my family,myself,or my fellow man,to hunt with,to shoot with,is NOT showing me the security of a free state.

This is a direct attack on the constitution, and the people. In my opinion,A spit in the face..especially to the men and women of our armed forces that gave their lives to defend and serve this country, so we can have those freedoms.

"To see the wolves true intentions,first,you must pull the wool from your eyes"

26-Jan-13
Starhorse, you sir are a traitor to the USA. Either that or you simply have no clue what freedom is. And certainly have no idea what the 2nd is about.

May you live forever.

27-Jan-13
I am a gun owner & passionate bow hunter. I dropped my NRA membership, years ago when they endorsed armor piercing bullets, they were saying that it was an attack on the 2nd Amendment. I will not stand with them or anyone else peddling fear. (That any regulation is an attack on our rights or they’re going to confiscation guns.)

As hunters: We hold these truths to be self-evident certain reasonable regulation keep us from over harvesting wildlife, tree stand regulation use on public land, steel shot on public land, how many shells (three) you can in have in your shot gun duck hunting, minimum bow pounds to hunt, etc or your equipment is confiscated & sold by the State or Federal Government.

Three Presidents, Reagan, Clinton, Bush wanted reasonable regulation and then Congress had a ten year reasonable regulation on capacity magazines and automatic or semiautomatic weapons.

Our Nation has been here before and again we the people will have reasonable regulation again.

27-Jan-13
Very well written Pat.

27-Jan-13
Going by Starhorse's logic, then we should also curtail freedom or speech via anything other than ink put on parchement paper with a goose quill pen, because that's all there was when the founding documents were written. They had no idea then of the power of TV, radio, or Lord forbid the INTERNET!

Based on these powerful modern tools of communication, all Americans(except for the elected ruling class of course...)should only be able to have the use of no more than several hundred words a day in print or in cyberspace. No one "needs" more than that.

27-Jan-13
Starhorse & Grey Hair Bowhunter, thank you for your considered posts. Simply stated, I agree with both of you.

27-Jan-13
Thanks Pat, I agree, my Wife and I are both members of the NRA and have been for a long time.

Scott

27-Jan-13

Kevin from Wisconsin's Link
Good article Pat.

To NickD, Starhorse, Grey Hair Bowhunter, and Jimbo: Keep drinking the liberal kool-aid.

This is only a first step for the gun control democrats. The list below is what they really wanted in NY.

1. Confiscation of "assault weapons" 2. Confiscation o ten round clips 3. Statewide database for ALL Guns 4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public 5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons” 6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines 7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines 8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month 9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners 10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years 11. State issued pistol permits 12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State 13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers 14. Mandatory locking of guns at home 15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons

27-Jan-13
Pat.... great job!

27-Jan-13
If every former serviceman in the country remembers the oath all of us took at our induction, this whole gun control argument is over, and Joe Biden can go back to being irrelevant.

27-Jan-13
Thank You Pat, It still seems that we cannot stand together until there is some education on the issues. Look at the Past. It is mentioned here that THE NRA supported armor piercing bullets. That is not the case they opposed the bill. The cop killer bullet bill, fact is they were not available to the public only the cops. This bill included over 100 other types of bullets hunting bullets. Same with the original Assault weapons bill guns included were 22’s. Time to wake up

27-Jan-13
It's all about controlling the population to slowly take away our firearms. Think about it, they don't care about the criminals they would never go after the gov. They could never get orginized. They are fighting with each other. They are scared about the legal firearms owners who could do something. If they were concerned about saving lives. They would put to death any criminal that kills someone with a firearm. They just put them in prison for years and let them back out. The ones that are there for good just cost us tax payers which could be going to lowering our countries debt So lets take away legally owned firearms and let the criminals alone. Oh I forgot some lawyers run this country, they wouldn't need them. Wake up Washington and start running the country for the people, not for you.

27-Jan-13
http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2013/01/27/eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show-what-postponement-of-the-u-s-s-largest-gun-show-says-about-america/ For once a news writer gets it right

27-Jan-13

bowmanmt's Link
Hope this helps

27-Jan-13
From Australia I say stand up for your rights. The media will lie, cheat and steal to strip your rights away from you so they can make a profit. It is a sad world that today money/power is the only goal these antis have. Then again, look at history, it always repeats its self. You have my moral support, good luck.

27-Jan-13
Thanks Pat!

27-Jan-13
I'm in!!!

27-Jan-13
Very well written Pat,,Thanks

28-Jan-13
Well done Pat, well done.

"The only regulation trying to pass is to limit high capacity magazines and automatic or semiautomatic weapons -- not to prohibit us from owning our shotguns, handguns, rifles or bows ”

Take a close look at what NY has just done. We already had a ban on high capcity mags and the limit WAS ten. Since they already had a ten round limit why let a good crisis go to waste? So they went for a 5 round magazine limit but the Republicans compromised on a seven round limit. Why? He had thirty round mags with him at Newtown. Because they could care less about "being reasonable", they want it all and will not stop until they get it, they will just keep chipping away at it until they get a total ban. They also banned thumb hole stocks. Why? Wake UP!

28-Jan-13
the one that said these high capacity magazines and rifles are not used to protect the citizens but are for the school shootings really needs to look at all the reports again. The CT school shooting the AR rifle was retreived from the trunk of the shooters car!

Also talking of the former assault weapon ban The violent crime rate has actualy gone down since it ran out.

28-Jan-13
I'm a bow hunter, gun owner and believe that every sane, law abiding citizen has the right to own guns for hunting, personal enjoyment, competition, protection and any other reason we as Americans choose to own weapons of our choice. I'm also a member of the Natonal Association for Gun Rights. Give me liberty or give me death, as stated earlier by Patrick Henry.

28-Jan-13
good stuff

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/01/28/EXCLUSIVE-Journalist-Accosted-By-Security-Over-Mayor-Bloomberg-Gun-Control-Question

28-Jan-13
Pat,

As I walked into a local convenience store on the way to bowhunt at 4:30 AM sat. morning, I thought of the incident you related! I felt safer knowing I had my CCW and could do a little more than just dive behind a display case for cover, if need be! ;-)

28-Jan-13
Great words Pat, thank you. I attended the rally in Hartford, and would like to attend the public hearings if possible. I have not killed a deer with a gun in three years but the freezer is full. I have however hunted with guns and the occasional second shot is necessary.

28-Jan-13
I own many guns... No "ARs." Have shot a few, but don't intend on ever buying one or using one for hunting or any other usage, BUT will stand up for our 2nd Amendment Right and against ANY gun control policies forced down the free citizens of the United States every day of the week. These are the very same rights and freedoms who my father and forefathers served and fought to preserve and make our Great Nation what it is.

We need to take responsibilities as teachers, mothers, fathers, and general United States of America citizens. Take some pride in it and start doing something proactive to help it out versus deconstructing everything and laying blame.

Great Article, Pat. You got me fired up. (AGAIN.)

28-Jan-13
Thanks Pat and all who stand for the 2nd Amendment. From a NRA Life Member and Bowhunter.

28-Jan-13
1. "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

2. "Those who trade liberty for security have neither." ~ John Adams

3. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

4. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

5. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

6. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

7. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

8. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

9. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

10. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

11. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

12. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

13. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

14. What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?

15. Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

16. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves to the government, criminals, and street gangs.

17. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

28-Jan-13
I agree 100% Pat

As a matter of fact, I'm buying AR15 parts and putting together my custom AR rifle....not because I need one now but because the anti gun boobs say I should not have one! Plus I have the funds and who knows, I may need it one day.

28-Jan-13
As a retired NYC Police officer, avid Bow hunter, Gun hunter and American citizen I believe that we need to reassess some of these "freedoms" that many are so passionate about. I have worked in some of the worst streets of NY during the 80's and 90's. Murder rate in NY was over 2500 a year. I have personally been involved in three seperate gun battles. During my years on the force I have made many arrests gun where perpetrators carried tech 9's, Ak 47's, Ar's, high ammo capacity semi hand guns, etc. while I was toting a smith and Wesson 6 shot revolver ( pea shooter). I was working the evening when a brother N.Y City Police Officer Eddie R. Byrne was assassinated February 1987 by 5 drug dealing/thugs/scum while sitting in his patrol car at 21 years old, shot 5 times in the head!!. So my police resume speaks volumes to every one on this site. I believe we have the right to bear arms to protect our families. I believe we should use rifles and shotguns to hunt our big game and birds.But I absolutely do not agree that Joe/Jane average citizen should be running around with his/her AR-15 just because they want one,and it looks cool. Those weapons are specifically designed for nothing but to kill people, make no mistake here.Really, target practice, please!! If you can get one, then so can the crooks, and that is just not acceptable in my book. Most of you live in nice areas(just like Sandy Hook)most of you have never been in a gun battle,I have and its not like the movies.We must be reasonable men and women.Leave the heavy weaponry for Law enforcement, Military, and Border patrols, they are well trained on how to use them and is a MUST to OUT GUN the crooks that want to kill us. Pat your article is well written and articulated , but in all sincerity There were no AK's when the constitution( 2nd Amendment) was written, they shot 1 shot muskets if I'm correct.Took forever to reload.Hanging your hat on an antiquated doctrine to keep these weapons in circulation in this society is immoral and selfish. We have evolved into a very violent society in two hundred years.We must protect our schools with armed guards, sad but true.Every gov't building is already protected with them. The NRA is over the top in their position and afraid that ALL the guns will be taken away. That will never happen.But as reasonable men and women that live in a dangerous society we must act reasonably and responsibly. a factoid, 90% of most shootings occur within 7 feet of each other. My Sig Sauer .380 8 shot will do the trick just fine if need be.Second factoid, if you miss the first three shots at your intended target, you will miss with the remainder.God knows my 6 shot revolver did fine also. No need for AK's. Just my 2 cents

28-Jan-13
Waco, so if they tell the crooks there not allowed to have ARs they won't?

29-Jan-13
Thanks Pat!

29-Jan-13
I agree with wacoyaco, sleepyhunter and Greyhair bowhunter - and will undoubtedly be chastised as they have been.

Folks, the world has changed. I am still in law enforcement after 30 years, have bowhunted since '67, am a former NRA member and Navy veteran. While there are other factors contributing to the recent tragedies besides guns...guns are the vehicles of immediate destruction used by these guys. Too many of those posting here have, I believe, fallen for the "any attempt at any further restriction/regulation on firearms is an attempt to take ALL my guns".

Give it a rest! Get real! Any of you available next time we get called to a domestic involving a guy with an arsenal, off his meds, lost his job and has made the usual statement, "I won't be taken alive"? Oh, and now a family member mentions he has an AK or an AR. And guess what - he has either NO criminal record or a very minor one. Or explain to the teenage gf of the 18yr old (no criminal record) how & why he was able to buy a new shotgun 30 min before, come home, stick the barrel in his left eye socket and pull the trigger - in front of her. Come on, step up to the plate.

Last I checked we are still a democracy, a union of states under the umbrella of an entity we call the federal government. We discuss points, vote and then move on. If that doesn't work for you...well then you have options.

Anyways, I think we absolutely need reasonable restrictions, universal background checks and I DON'T think every Tom, Dick and Harry ought to be able to buy an assault weapon and high capacity mag.

Go ahead...make my day and call me crazy.

29-Jan-13
Thanks Pat! So many good posts and just a few bad ones. I cannot believe anyone believes a ban of an AR15 or AK47 would be a means to stop crime! It is almost like saying if one kid did wrong in class I will spank the whole class. The very mass majority of people that own any of such said weapons are law abiding citizens and do not commit any crimes. In fact those same citizens may be the ones you might rely on some day. There where alot of good comments in regards to our second ammendment. Please read the third one. It actually reinforces our second one. Look up "gun control for idiots" on U-tube! There is a pretty remarkable explanation of it all.Bob. One more time thanks for the thread Pat!

29-Jan-13
Criminals don't follow the rules so banning will not deter them from having/using. WE have MANY gun rules now that DO NOT WORK against preventing criminals from doing what they do.

Criminals & crazies kill people & more rules & banning is not going to change that.

Write your politicians & express your views. I have. Single voices of protest came together & postponed the Eastern Sport show & those same voices will be heard when it's time to VOTE new or old into office....

29-Jan-13
Wacoyaco,

First off let me say thank you for your service. I know that NYC is not an easy place to be a cop. I admire your dedication and respect your right to state your opinion.

That being said I believe it to miss the mark in many ways. I too am an LEO and though I’ve never been in a gun battle I fail to see how that makes you more qualified to say Ak’s/Ar’s should be banned. I am willing to bet that there are many military guys as well as other LEO’s, that have seen the elephant and would wholeheartedly disagree with your sentiment.

Regardless let’s go point by point and I apologize in advance if they’re not in order and for the length of this post:

“I have worked in some of the worst streets of NY during the 80's and 90's. Murder rate in NY was over 2500 a year”

That pretty much sums up the fallacy that is gun control. New York has some of the toughest gun control laws on the books yet some of the highest gun crime rates on the books as well. Same goes for Chicago, LA, Detroit, DC, etc…. all areas with tight gun control laws. Do I agree that criminals should be debarred the use of “assault weapons” Absolutely, but they are by definition, wait for it…….. CRIMINALS! They do not obey the laws. Trying to solve the crime problem by “reducing the availability of guns” sounds good in theory, but is not practical, ethical, possible, or based upon reality. Good guys won’t have them, bad guys still will. They will always find ways to procure them. There is already an intense saturation of firearms in this country so it wouldn’t be feasible in that regard alone. There also will always be a high availability of guns on the black market as well.

There are ways of taking care of the gun crime problem, but stripping away the rights of honest citizens isn’t one of them, and, to borrow your quote, is “immoral and selfish”. That theory is akin to trying to crack down on drunk drivers by outlawing alcohol. It doesn’t work and only restricts those who are already trustworthy and law abiding. The true way to crack down on crime is to make the consequences so un-attractive that it deters those who would commit it. Furthermore the music, games, and movies that we allow our children to indulge themselves in from an early age is, in my opinion, a much larger contributing factor than an overabundance of guns. The issues we are facing is a culture problem not a gun problem. Guns were as or more plentiful 40-50 years ago, but you never had the amount of problems as we do now. Why? Because we have fostered a generation of degenerates. We as a society are responsible for the chaos that is abounding and have brought it upon ourselves. Regardless of your position on God, there is little debate that when we as a society embraced Christian-Judeo values and ethics our society was more polite, respectful, and less violent. FYI statistics have shown that in the first decade of the new century (over half of which the weapons ban had expired) mass shootings were down when compared to the 90’s (over half of which the ban was in effect) and 80‘s as well.

“We have evolved into a very violent society in two hundred years”

That is true, but it did not happen overnight, nor can you convince me that it is due to guns.

“I absolutely do not agree that Joe/Jane average citizen should be running around with his/her AR-15 just because they want one, and it looks cool. Those weapons are specifically designed for nothing but to kill people…..”

So was the 8 shot colt 1911. What’s your point? With the riots that have taken place in the past decades, and the ticking time bomb that is our world, the guns you have named are exactly the type of weapons that I want in my gun safe. Whether or not you think I am qualified to own one. Your reasoning is preposterous! It is a documented fact (much to our shame ) that LEO’s have a less than stellar record with marksmanship. (I can verify this by the shooting scores I see from my fellow officers during qualification time) I am willing to bet that many of the “average citizens” out there are more proficient and trained than a lot of LEO’s. I agree that LEO’s should have heavy firepower, but honest citizens should have that RIGHT as well. Here again you have an argument that is easily countered. I could say that Joe/Jane average citizen should not be allowed to own a crotch rocket motorcycle just because they want one or they look cool. They’re specifically designed for nothing but breaking the speed limit. It is obvious by your idealism that you are a true blue New Yorker. I happen to live in rural Montana and there are a plethora of uses for an Ar-15 out here. Just because you don’t want them in New York (one of the highest crime factory’s in the union) does not give you, the federal government, or anyone else the right to deny them to me. You have incriminated yourself by using New York as an example. New York City has a long track record of divesting the liberties of all because of the abuse of a few under the façade that it is for the benefit of everyone. Example: the ban on oversized soda’s to combat obesity. LOL what a load of horse poo. The ideas you are espousing fall right in line with many of the tyrants in the last century that have used gun control to restrict the populace and have their way with them. The idea that the citizenry should be armed inferior to the government paves the way for the ability to make a police state. I am not saying we should all have tanks and bombs, but to say that we have a legitimate defense against possible tyranny or heavily armed criminals with bird guns and deer rifles is ludicrous. Which brings me to the next correlating point I want to address:

“factoid, 90% of most shootings occur within 7 feet of each other. My Sig Sauer .380 8 shot will do the trick just fine if need be. Second factoid, if you miss the first three shots at your intended target, you will miss with the remainder. God knows my 6 shot revolver did fine also. No need for AK's”.

I am more than impressed by your ability to contradict yourself. If your above statement is true, then why did you say “Leave the heavy weaponry for Law enforcement, Military, and Border patrols” #1 and #2 “I have made many arrests gun where perpetrators carried tech 9's, Ak 47's, Ar's, high ammo capacity semi hand guns, etc. while I was toting a smith and Wesson 6 shot revolver ( pea shooter)”. If the Sig .380 is fine for you (or the average citizen) than so should it be for all LEO’s, especially if you miss the first 3 shots. In that case then what does it matter whether you or the perp has a high capacity “assault” rifle or not? Furthermore if your 6 shot revolver does fine why did you say that is was a “pea shooter” and then pontificate on the aforementioned need for “heavy weaponry”?

“There were no AK's when the constitution( 2nd Amendment) was written, they shot 1 shot muskets if I'm correct. Took forever to reload. Hanging your hat on an antiquated doctrine to keep these weapons in circulation in this society is immoral and selfish”.

That is such an asinine statement that I find it hard to justify with a reply. There also wasn’t TV, Radio, or Internet either, so does that make it okay to restrict first amendment and free speech? “antiquated doctrine” are you really serious? Honestly that is one of the most abhorrent things I have ever read. Your logic is as full of holes as Swiss cheese. By your reasoning the declaration and all the other bill of rights are antiquated as well. You have exposed the true nature of liberal thinking. The annihilation of the constitution. But just in case I am misinterpreting your ideology I refer you to those old dead white guys that came up with the “antiquated doctrine” (you know the fellas that formed our country)

“Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defence? Where is the difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defence be the *real* object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands”? -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 9 1788

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”. -- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188 And last but not least:

“"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Obviously they used muskets in those days, but the intention was clear: To afford the general populace the ability to protect themselves from not only common criminals, but from a tyrannical government. Washington’s statement sums it up. The ability to have arms should be sufficient in comparison with the government. If you don’t understand the principles behind that “antiquated doctrine”, and think that it is only relevant to “olden” times and muskets then I highly suggest you spend some time studying up on your history, and reading the founding fathers statements. Their intentions with regard to the second amendment is easily interpreted when you read their statements regarding the uses of arms and the rights involved with bearing them.

Should anyone be able to own an AR or AK. No not just anyone, but law abiding citizens. Obviously you will always have abusers, who may not have a track record of criminality or mental instability, but that doesn’t negate the liberties of everyone else. Again should we restrict a 24 pack of beer down to a 2 pack because some abuse it? (Or in the case of Nordic archer’s statement some 18 yr old kid decided to get behind the wheel drunk and killed himself)? I believe it is a rhetorical question.

I will say that Kman very well stated the right realities of the NRA. They are a good organization and I fully agree with their premise of not allowing gun liberties to be assaulted, but as Kman said they need to do a better job winning the hearts and minds. Many of the talking points they are using are driving people the other way. Gun control arguments are easily defeated with out polarizing those who are un-convinced either way.

All of us can agree that something needs to change, and that Sandy Hook was a horrific tragedy, but taking guns away from folks like me is not the answer, whether it be an AR, AK, Remington 870, or granddaddy’s 30-30. Am I willing to consider a multitude of proposals that would help to prevent criminals from easily accessing guns? You betcha, but the answer does not lie in me having my ability to own an AR, AK, M1A, FAL, KSG, or any other similar firearm reduced, restricted, or in any other way compromised. Period

29-Jan-13
wacoyaco & nordicarcher... outstanding posts!

I wish others here would refrain from buying into the over-the-top NRA hype and give due consideration to your posts. Thank you for your service. And, thank you for bringing rational opinions to this thread.

wacoyaco (a retired NYC police officer): "I believe we have the right to bear arms to protect our families. I believe we should use rifles and shotguns to hunt our big game and birds.But I absolutely do not agree that Joe/Jane average citizen should be running around with his/her AR-15 just because they want one,and it looks cool."

nordicarcher (30 years in law enforcement and a Navy veteran): "Anyways, I think we absolutely need reasonable restrictions, universal background checks and I DON'T think every Tom, Dick and Harry ought to be able to buy an assault weapon and high capacity mag."

Right on, men! Great posts! Thank you!

29-Jan-13
To all of you that replied to my post,yesterday, I respect every one's opinion on this subject. I am now retired and live in N.C., very pro gun state. I was at a gun show last week with one of my retired friends who ran out and paid $2000.00 for a used AR because he had to have one.I observed numerous people walking around the parking lots with AR's hanging off their shoulders with for sale signs on them. I said to myself this is insane. Deerslayer, really? I already know that the streets are full of AR's. So in your mind lets just keep pumping out the production of these weapons so every household has one just in case someone breaks in their house.I'm sure your AR is locked and loaded standing next to your bed " just in case" right? That's forward thinking. Picking apart my statements and factoids to support your views won't fly. I definitely was under powered during my gun battles. One of those gun battles in particular was we were patrolling the streets in plain clothes, I attempted to pull over a stolen vehicle, a female with a Tech-9 hung out the passenger side window and sprayed our vehicle with a barrage of bullets you could never imagine, I unloaded my S&W 6 shot, then my off duty S&W 5 shot, then grabbed my partners (who was driving) S&W and unloaded it. If I had an AR( and was properly trained to use it) in my vehicle SIR, I might have been able to stop that assault on us. I'm not going to go back and forth with any of you. Like I said most all of you have never and will never be in a gun battle. You can protect your family with a gun that can be reached quickly in a moments notice and used effectively.I stand strong behind all my statements Deerslayer. Trying to compare freedom of speech and freedom to own AR's shows your naivety and shallowness to address this serious problem in this country.How many times have you had the need to whip out your AR? MUCH DIFFERENT TIMES 200 years ago my friend.I understand and agree with your last statement its not YOU owning guns that offends me or frightens me. My problem is if YOU have one, the crooks WILL have one. the end does not justify the means. My statement about keeping our Military, Law enforcement, Borders well armed I stand by and will not waiver. You being armed like that is not necessary.So tell me Deerslayer what would you propose, to quell the proliferation of these weapons from getting in the wrong hands while not giving up YOUR PERSONAL right to bear arms.Let me quote you now " Something needs to change". Get some balls man, the cop out of not in my backyard or as long as it doesn't effect me is lame.Can't wait to hear your answer.

29-Jan-13
Pat - great article. I'm fully behind the 2nd Ammendment. I have circulated your article far and wide....

>>>>---------->

29-Jan-13

Or explain to the teenage gf of the 18yr old (no criminal record) how & why he was able to buy a new shotgun 30 min before, come home, stick the barrel in his left eye socket and pull the trigger - in front of her. Come on, step up to the plate.

My 18 y/o brother bought a hunting rifle, stashed it in a farmer's field and then a week later used it to end his life. I am convinced if he was NOT able to buy the gun, he would have found another way to do it. Crashing his car, stepping in front of a train or plugging up the tail pipe and doing it by asphyxiation. This is not JUST a gun issue!!!!!! It is also a Mental Health issue!!!!!!!! Let's stop blaming the guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29-Jan-13
Regardless of what side of the discussion you are on, i suggest looking into "the battle of Athens, Tennesse."

the events took place around 1946, which in my opinion is "yesterday" in the scope of history. To further connect the dots, many of the guns used during the event are mentioned in Mrs. Feinstein's latest proposal. It's a fantastic little microcosm of why the second amendment is there and why all other "rights" fall without it.

29-Jan-13
Banning ANY firearm is rediculous. The only person it will affect is the law-abiding citizen.

Meth is illigal; I do not know of any law abiding citizens using meth.

heroin in illigal; I do not know of any law abiding citizen using heroin.

murder is illigal; I do not know any law abiding citizen commiting murder.

Gun free zones are a joke. If a person wants to kill someone (which is illigal already) the gun free zone ONLY keeps me from carrying not the criminal!

If a certain gun is illigal to own; it will be removed from law abiding citizens. And a black market will be created for the banned gun; hence more crime.

Just look at how the gun sales have increased in the last month just out of fear.

I need to be able to have as much fire power that is available to the crooks, gangs and waco's to be equalized.

It boggles my mind why this is a hard concept for some to understand.

The politicians that do not understand this are obviously to stupid and do not have the ablilty to hold office. Therefore must be removed from their duties.

29-Jan-13
Colt Ford sings a son called "answer to no one". Every one should listen to it. It should be out motto

29-Jan-13
When I sat down for breakfast this morning I brought up these postings and was reminded of something. That is, should the 2nd Amendment be undermined in any way, then we expose ourselves to the tyrants of history present...."big government".

Having taught World and Am. History for over forty years, I propose a required reading assignment: Some of these postings suggest that the writer be required to read the works of Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Baron de Le Brede de Le Montesquieu. Then study the listing of complaints against the King in the Declaration. The writers of the Declaration had studied such and realized the conditions with respect to their time and place had reach the point that they undertook Locke's "revolution' which resulted in the birth of our country. One of these posts refers and quotes the Declaration.....BRAVO!!!! Those Redcoats who were sent to Concord and Lexington were British soldiers and the King was using them against his own people who were disagreeing with his laws. It took guts to stand against them at Concord and Lexington...CITIZEN SOLDIERS...(Milita). Look around the world today.....do so seriously.....and count the truly free nations on this earth...not many! Start with the US.

29-Jan-13

Rut Nut's Link
Fulldraw- love this song! Thanks for givin' the heads up!

29-Jan-13
Wacko,

"My problem is if YOU have one, the crooks WILL have one."

And if I don't have one, the bad guys STILL do. Get it? See, you are not held accountable for MY safety. When it takes twenty minutes for a uniform to respond that's nineteen minutes and twenty five seconds too long.

BTW, all those gun control laws in NYC didn't stop your partner from getting killed. You can't protect your own, why should I rely on you to protect my own?

29-Jan-13
A/C D/C Armed Citizen, Dead Criminal

29-Jan-13
As I posted on Leatherwall, I am so disappointed with what this country has become that the only place I find peace is in the woods where I can sit and think, but if the bell of freedom rings, this old man will be there because I am a doer, and our kids and grandkids deserve better.

29-Jan-13
Just so everyone knows I am driving down the interstate jamming to colt ford "answer to know one" and thinking of what's wrong with our great country. Haha

29-Jan-13
Hypocrisy, is a Law Enforcement Officer, who gets to carry the weapon of his choice all the time, telling Citizens they should not be able to carry or own the weapon of their choice at all.

Tony ( from a long line of LEOs who believed that every citizen should be armed )

29-Jan-13

Rut Nut's Link
Fulldraw- you got me thinking................... check out: Justin Moore's GUNS- Great message! I saw him in concert this summer- great messages with his songs. Here he is at a concert a couple years ago- pay special attention to what he says in his intro! ;-)

29-Jan-13
Quote: "Hypocrisy, is a Law Enforcement Officer, who gets to carry the weapon of his choice all the time, telling Citizens they should not be able to carry or own the weapon of their choice at all."

Excellent post!!! When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. That NYC would have a cop with these opinions is one of the reasons many people north of the city would love to see the state divided.

29-Jan-13
For shame. Shame on the politicians for using such tragedies to push an agenda. Shame on the special interest groups for using the death of innocents for their own purposes. And most of all, for shame on citizens of the United States who buy into the reasons we "need gun control". Shame on them for not knowing our country's history and the significance of the documents such as the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence. Shame on them for their willingness to sacrifice the rights bestowed upon them via the sacrifices of our ancestors. Shame on them for buying into the easy belief that regulating things will make this a safer world. Shame on them for not using the brains in their heads. To those who believe further regulation of arms is the solution, I offer up these things to think about: 1. The Sandyhook tragedy was the result of an individual DECIDING to murder innocents. That's the real problem that needs to be addressed. What are the factors that make a person believe such actions are the right course of action? Root cause analysis. Figure that out and then you can reasonably expect to prevent a repetition of these events. You are fooling yourself if you think removing the guns will prevent it. It is the decision to do harm that leads to harm being done.

2. Prior to the most recent election, polls showed most Americans distrusted our politicians. Why now should we trust them with this?

3. If you are going to use the argument that the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply today because firearms don't look, feel or function at the same level as they did when it was written, then by that same argument the Declaration of Independence is no longer valid and we should subject ourselves to British rule once again. After all, the British Government is nothing close to what it was when we declared our independence.

4. Finally, and most importantly, the Second Amendment exists for one reason and one reason alone. It is there to ensure that the other Amendments are not infringed upon. Not by your neighbor, not by another country, not by a criminal, not by your best friend, and not by your own government.

29-Jan-13
Excellent article, Pat. It amazes me that some folks on here just don't get it. Antique document? 1 shot muskets? Cool looking guns? Being armed with XXXX not necessary?

I love it when others try to dictate what one person should have based on their assessment of one's "needs".

29-Jan-13
WACO- I'm sorry you had such a hard time with your .357 magnum revolver in thwarting all the thugs in NYC. Had I been there with one of my AR-15s I would have cleaned house for you. In fact, I may just leave it in my truck for such circumstances in the future. Your story simply proved what will and always has happened. The CROOKS will have access to such ordnance EVEN IF THEY ARE BANNED.

30-Jan-13

Cowboy's Link
Pat you are a true American.

It is not always AR's and hi capacity magazines that the crazy people are using to do there evil deeds. On November 30th 2012 Wyoming had a young man go to a college classroom where his father was teaching and kill him in cold blood. The young man then killed himself. This was after he already killed the fathers girlfriend in the street a few blocks from campus. There wasn't a single shoot fired from a gun during this brutal attack. The young man used a compound bow plus a knife for his destruction unto others and himself. IT IS THE PEOPLE DOING THE CRIMES NOT THE WEAPONS. I have attached the link to Wyoming's tragic story that did not make the big news in this time of blaming weapons for the crimes committed.

30-Jan-13
I was watching a show last evening. The police had black guns and were shooting the criminals down like flies. No wonder the general public doesn't want them as legal weapons. They watch these shows and think this is what is going to happen if they stay legal. People are going to do the same thing with them. If they do away with guns our country will be in trouble. Do we think that our arms forces and police are going to protect us. Not if they are being run by our Gov. Look whats happening now with criminals and our wars over sea. They can't win anything. We need to get rid of anyone that kills another human with a firearm illegaly. Why do we even keep them in prison. Could help get down the debt.

30-Jan-13
Pat, Much Respect to you and all bowsite members who are ready to make a stand.

30-Jan-13
I'm more afraid of cops like wacoyaco who posted above than I am of the Adam Lanza's of the world. They are trained, armed to the teeth, and have all the power of the State behind them. God help us all!

30-Jan-13
"Hanging your hat on an antiquated doctrine"

WOW!!! In my eyes, that pretty much nullifies anything else you posted!

30-Jan-13

Neb_Bowhuntin''s Link
Very well stated Pat!!

You should also Check out this Youtube video. It shows that there is only about 30sec differnce when changing two 10 round clips and shooting a clip of 20 on a semi auto gun. Granted he has the two 10 round clips taped together...but all the same...Only 30sec differnce. And it discribes the differnce between an "Assault rifle(which has already been banned since 1986) to the sporting rifle. Even though the look the same..the are not the same rifle

This clip too was well thought out and presented such as yours!

Check it out!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe

Jeff

30-Jan-13
This is a longer read than I'd like, but is he right?

Here is an important point of view. Is it correct?? You decide, but this is well worth reading to the end. If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight? This man has put down on paper what many people are thinking but are too cautious to express openly.

I hope it never comes to what he is advocating but I can certainly see where the possibility exists.

God help us all if it ever does happen.

PS Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the author:

Dean Garrison (born 1955) is a contemporary American author and crime fiction novelist. He was born in Michigan, grew up in the Indiana, Illinois, and Texas, and received his B.A. degree from Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan. Garrison is a Crime Scene Technician in West Michigan. His research in the fields of crime scene investigation and Shooting Reconstruction are widely published in forensic journals under the name "D.H. Garrison, Jr."

Subject: If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight?

January 3, 2013 by Dean Garrison I feel a tremendous responsibility to write this article though I am a little apprehensive. Thinking about the possibility of rising up against our own government is a frightening thing for many of us. I am not Johnny Rambo and I will be the first to admit that I do not want to die. The reason I feel compelled to write this, however, is simply because I don’t think the average American is equipped with the facts. I feel that a lot of American citizens feel like they have no choice but to surrender their guns if the government comes for them. I blame traditional media sources for this mass brainwash and I carry the responsibility of all small independent bloggers to tell the truth. So my focus today is to lay out your constitutional rights as an American, and let you decide what to do with those rights.

About a month ago I let the “democracy” word slip in a discussion with a fellow blogger. I know better. Americans have been conditioned to use this term. It’s not an accurate term and it never has been a correct term to describe our form of government. The truth is that the United States of America is a constitutional republic. This is similar to a democracy because our representatives are selected by democratic elections, but ultimately our representatives are required to work within the framework of our constitution. In other words, even if 90% of Americans want something that goes against our founding principles, they have no right to call for a violation of constitutional rights. If you are religious you might choose to think of it this way… Say that members of your congregation decide that mass fornication is a good thing. Do they have the right to change the teachings of your God? The truth is the truth. It doesn’t matter how many people try to stray from it. Did I just compare our founders to God? In a way I did, but please note that I am not trying to insult anyone. For the purpose of the American Government our constitution and founders who wrote it are much like God is to believers. It is the law. It is indisputable. Our founders did not want a “democracy” for they feared a true democracy was just as dangerous as a monarchy. The founders were highly educated people who were experienced in defending themselves against tyranny. They understood that the constitution could protect the people by limiting the power of anyone to work outside of it much better than a pure system of popularity. A system of checks and balances was set up to help limit corruption of government and also the potential for an “immoral majority” developing within the American People. We have forgotten in this country that we are ultimately ruled by a constitution. Why is a democracy potentially just as dangerous as a monarchy? Let’s look at something that Benjamin Franklin said because it answers that question more fully and succinctly than I can. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Even 230+ years ago our founders were perceptive enough to realize that democracy was a dangerous form of government. How so? Because the citizens of a country can become just as corrupt as any government. We have seen evidence of this throughout history. Ask Native Americans and African-Americans if this population can become corrupt. I think in 2012 we are seeing evidence of what Franklin was trying to tell us. Just because a majority of people may support certain ideas it does not mean that those ideas are just. In simple terms, just because most Americans love our president and voted for him, it does not mean that he has the power to go against our constitutional rights. Next I’d like to review the text of the second amendment. It is very clear. This is the law of this land. So when Senator Feinstein or President Obama talk about taking your guns, you need to think about something. Are they honoring their sworn oath to uphold the constitution? A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is a pretty clear statement. The fact is that it took 232 years for the Supreme Court to even rule on this amendment because it has never been successfully challenged. In 2008 a case of Columbia v. Heller the Supreme Court ruled that a handgun ban in Washington D.C. was unconstitutional. One also has to take this into consideration. The Supreme Court supports your right to own guns. If you want to research this decision further you can start here.

For those who try to debate the spirit of the 2nd amendment, they are truly no different from people who will try to take Biblical quotes out of context to try to support their immoral decisions. The founders were very clear on the intent of the 2nd amendment. Let me share a few quick quotes here: The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington The Constitution shall never be construed….to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. -Samuel Adams

I could find hundreds of quotes like these. This country was built on the right to bear arms. It was built on the rights of an individual to bear arms, regardless of what his government or neighbor happened to think. This is crystal clear. Ironically the people who voice their opinions against this right have their free speech protected by your guns. Without guns in this country, all other amendments become null and void, simply because “We the People” will lose our power of enforcement.

We need to keep this in mind as our “representatives” try to push gun bans. I don’t care if 99% of people are in support of gun bans (which is far from the case), it is a violation of our constitutional rights, plain and simple. A constitutional republic protects the rights of the individual even when their ideas are very much in the minority. If I were the only person in America who believed in the 2nd amendment, I would still be within my rights to call upon it. You would all think I was insane and possibly celebrate if I was gunned down, but in the end I would be the only true American among us. Our framers were very clear on this. If my government comes to take my guns, they are violating one of my constitutional rights that is covered by the 2nd amendment.

It is not my right, at that point, It's my responsibility to respond in the name of liberty. What I am telling you is something that many are trying to soft sell, and many others have tried to avoid putting into print, but I am going to say it. The time for speaking in code is over.

If they come for our guns then it is our constitutional right to put them six feet under. You have the right to kill any representative of this government who tries to tread on your liberty. I am thinking about self-defense and not talking about inciting a revolution. Re-read Jefferson’s quote. He talks about a “last resort.” I am not trying to start a Revolt, I am talking about self-defense. If the day for Revolution comes, when no peaceful options exist, we may have to talk about that as well. None of us wants to think about that, but please understand that a majority cannot take away your rights as an American citizen. Only you can choose to give up your rights. Congress could pass gun ban legislation by a 90%+ margin and it just would not matter. I think some people are very unclear on this. This is the reason we have a Supreme Court, and though I do not doubt that the Supreme Court can also become corrupt, in 2008 they got it right. They supported the constitution. It does not matter what the majority supports because America is not a democracy. A constitutional republic protects the rights of every single citizen, no matter what their “elected servants” say. A majority in America only matters when the constitution is not in play. I just wrote what every believer in the constitution wants to say, and what every constitutional blogger needs to write. The truth of the matter is that this type of speech is viewed as dangerous and radical or subversive, and it could gain me a world of trouble that I do not want. It is also the truth. To make myself clear I will tell you again. If they come for your guns it is your right to use those guns against them and to kill them. You are protected by our constitution. Most of the articles I am reading on the subject are trying to give you clues without just coming out and saying it. I understand that because certain things in this country will get you on a list that you don’t want to be on. I may well be on that list. This blog is small and growing so I may not be there yet, but I have dreams. I also have my own list of subversives and anyone who attempts to deny my constitutional rights is on that list. I am not the “subversive” here, it is the political representatives who are threatening to take away my inalienable rights. If they come to take my guns and I leave a few of them wounded or dead, and I somehow survive, I have zero doubt that I will spend a long time in prison and may face an execution. But I would much rather be a political prisoner than a slave. If I go down fighting then I was not fighting to harm these human beings. I was simply defending my liberty and yours. It is self-defense and it is what our country was built on. We won our freedom in self-defense. We would not be ruled by a tyrannical government in the 1770?s and we will not be ruled in 2012 by a tyrannical government. There is no difference. This is a case of right and wrong. As of now the 2nd amendment stands. It has never been repealed. If Feinstein or Barack have a problem with the constitution then they should be removed from office. They are not defending the constitution which they have sworn an oath to protect. It is treasonous to say the least. They would likely say the same about me, but I have the constitution, the founders, and the supreme court on my side. They only have their inflated egos. I am not writing this to incite people. I am writing this in hopes that somehow I can make a tiny difference. I have no idea how many of my neighbors have the will to defend their constitutional rights. 2%? 20%? I am afraid that 20% is a high number, unfortunately. When push comes to shove many people may give up and submit to being ruled. I believe that our government is banking on this. What I do know is that this country was founded by people who had balls the size of Texas and Patriotic Americans take shit off of no one, especially our own government. For evidence of that, you might research the Revolutionary War. My question is how many Patriots are left? I would hope that our officials come to realize that, regardless of our numbers, we still exist because they are calling Patriotic Americans to action. They are making us decide if we want to die free or submit to their rule. I cannot tell you where you should stand on that. I do know that it may make the difference between living a life of freedom or slavery.

You must start thinking about this because I believe that the day is coming soon and I personally believe it has already been planned. Not all conspiracy theories are hogwash. They may throw down the gauntlet soon and my suggestion is that you prepare yourself to react.

I mean no disrespect to our elected officials but they need to understand that “We the People” will not be disarmed. If they proceed then it is they that are provoking us and we will act accordingly. We are within our rights to do so. For those who are in support of taking the guns, you need to ask yourself a very important question, and I am not just talking about the politicians, because if you support them, you have chosen your side. Are you willing to die to take my guns?

Categories ?

|

Close ad

AdChoices

© 2013 Microsoft Terms Privacy About our ads Advertise Developers

Help Center Feedback English

Here is an important point of view. Is it correct?? You decide, but this is well worth reading to the end.

If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight?

This man has put down on paper what many people are thinking but are too cautious to express openly.

I hope it never comes to what he is advocating but I can certainly see where the possibility exists.

God help us all if it ever does happen.

PS Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the author:

Dean Garrison (born 1955) is a contemporary American author and crime fiction novelist. He was born in Michigan, grew up in the Indiana, Illinois, and Texas, and received his B.A. degree from Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan. Garrison is a Crime Scene Technician in West Michigan. His research in the fields of crime scene investigation and Shooting Reconstruction are widely published in forensic journals under the name "D.H. Garrison, Jr."

Subject: If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight?

Posted on January 3, 2013 by Dean Garrison

I feel a tremendous responsibility to write this article though I am a little apprehensive. Thinking about the possibility of rising up against our own government is a frightening thing for many of us. I am not Johnny Rambo and I will be the first to admit that I do not want to die. The reason I feel compelled to write this, however, is simply because I don’t think the average American is equipped with the facts. I feel that a lot of American citizens feel like they have no choice but to surrender their guns if the government comes for them. I blame traditional media sources for this mass brainwash and I carry the responsibility of all small independent bloggers to tell the truth. So my focus today is to lay out your constitutional rights as an American, and let you decide what to do with those rights.

About a month ago I let the “democracy” word slip in a discussion with a fellow blogger. I know better. Americans have been conditioned to use this term. It’s not an accurate term and it never has been a correct term to describe our form of government. The truth is that the United States of America is a constitutional republic. This is similar to a democracy because our representatives are selected by democratic elections, but ultimately our representatives are required to work within the framework of our constitution. In other words, even if 90% of Americans want something that goes against our founding principles, they have no right to call for a violation of constitutional rights. If you are religious you might choose to think of it this way… Say that members of your congregation decide that mass fornication is a good thing. Do they have the right to change the teachings of your God? The truth is the truth. It doesn’t matter how many people try to stray from it. Did I just compare our founders to God? In a way I did, but please note that I am not trying to insult anyone. For the purpose of the American Government our constitution and founders who wrote it are much like God is to believers. It is the law. It is indisputable. Our founders did not want a “democracy” for they feared a true democracy was just as dangerous as a monarchy. The founders were highly educated people who were experienced in defending themselves against tyranny. They understood that the constitution could protect the people by limiting the power of anyone to work outside of it much better than a pure system of popularity. A system of checks and balances was set up to help limit corruption of government and also the potential for an “immoral majority” developing within the American People. We have forgotten in this country that we are ultimately ruled by a constitution. Why is a democracy potentially just as dangerous as a monarchy? Let’s look at something that Benjamin Franklin said because it answers that question more fully and succinctly than I can. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Even 230+ years ago our founders were perceptive enough to realize that democracy was a dangerous form of government. How so? Because the citizens of a country can become just as corrupt as any government. We have seen evidence of this throughout history. Ask Native Americans and African-Americans if this population can become corrupt. I think in 2012 we are seeing evidence of what Franklin was trying to tell us. Just because a majority of people may support certain ideas it does not mean that those ideas are just. In simple terms, just because most Americans love our president and voted for him, it does not mean that he has the power to go against our constitutional rights. Next I’d like to review the text of the second amendment. It is very clear. This is the law of this land. So when Senator Feinstein or President Obama talk about taking your guns, you need to think about something. Are they honoring their sworn oath to uphold the constitution? A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is a pretty clear statement. The fact is that it took 232 years for the Supreme Court to even rule on this amendment because it has never been successfully challenged. In 2008 a case of Columbia v. Heller the Supreme Court ruled that a handgun ban in Washington D.C. was unconstitutional. One also has to take this into consideration. The Supreme Court supports your right to own guns. If you want to research this decision further you can start here.

For those who try to debate the spirit of the 2nd amendment, they are truly no different from people who will try to take Biblical quotes out of context to try to support their immoral decisions. The founders were very clear on the intent of the 2nd amendment. Let me share a few quick quotes here: The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -Thomas Jefferson Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington The Constitution shall never be construed….to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. -Samuel Adams

I could find hundreds of quotes like these. This country was built on the right to bear arms. It was built on the rights of an individual to bear arms, regardless of what his government or neighbor happened to think. This is crystal clear. Ironically the people who voice their opinions against this right have their free speech protected by your guns. Without guns in this country, all other amendments become null and void, simply because “We the People” will lose our power of enforcement.

We need to keep this in mind as our “representatives” try to push gun bans. I don’t care if 99% of people are in support of gun bans (which is far from the case), it is a violation of our constitutional rights, plain and simple. A constitutional republic protects the rights of the individual even when their ideas are very much in the minority. If I were the only person in America who believed in the 2nd amendment, I would still be within my rights to call upon it. You would all think I was insane and possibly celebrate if I was gunned down, but in the end I would be the only true American among us. Our framers were very clear on this. If my government comes to take my guns, they are violating one of my constitutional rights that is covered by the 2nd amendment.

It is not my right, at that point, It's my responsibility to respond in the name of liberty. What I am telling you is something that many are trying to soft sell, and many others have tried to avoid putting into print, but I am going to say it. The time for speaking in code is over.

If they come for our guns then it is our constitutional right to put them six feet under. You have the right to kill any representative of this government who tries to tread on your liberty. I am thinking about self-defense and not talking about inciting a revolution. Re-read Jefferson’s quote. He talks about a “last resort.” I am not trying to start a Revolt, I am talking about self-defense. If the day for Revolution comes, when no peaceful options exist, we may have to talk about that as well. None of us wants to think about that, but please understand that a majority cannot take away your rights as an American citizen. Only you can choose to give up your rights. Congress could pass gun ban legislation by a 90%+ margin and it just would not matter. I think some people are very unclear on this. This is the reason we have a Supreme Court, and though I do not doubt that the Supreme Court can also become corrupt, in 2008 they got it right. They supported the constitution. It does not matter what the majority supports because America is not a democracy. A constitutional republic protects the rights of every single citizen, no matter what their “elected servants” say. A majority in America only matters when the constitution is not in play. I just wrote what every believer in the constitution wants to say, and what every constitutional blogger needs to write. The truth of the matter is that this type of speech is viewed as dangerous and radical or subversive, and it could gain me a world of trouble that I do not want. It is also the truth. To make myself clear I will tell you again. If they come for your guns it is your right to use those guns against them and to kill them. You are protected by our constitution. Most of the articles I am reading on the subject are trying to give you clues without just coming out and saying it. I understand that because certain things in this country will get you on a list that you don’t want to be on. I may well be on that list. This blog is small and growing so I may not be there yet, but I have dreams. I also have my own list of subversives and anyone who attempts to deny my constitutional rights is on that list. I am not the “subversive” here, it is the political representatives who are threatening to take away my inalienable rights. If they come to take my guns and I leave a few of them wounded or dead, and I somehow survive, I have zero doubt that I will spend a long time in prison and may face an execution. But I would much rather be a political prisoner than a slave. If I go down fighting then I was not fighting to harm these human beings. I was simply defending my liberty and yours. It is self-defense and it is what our country was built on. We won our freedom in self-defense. We would not be ruled by a tyrannical government in the 1770?s and we will not be ruled in 2012 by a tyrannical government. There is no difference. This is a case of right and wrong. As of now the 2nd amendment stands. It has never been repealed. If Feinstein or Barack have a problem with the constitution then they should be removed from office. They are not defending the constitution which they have sworn an oath to protect. It is treasonous to say the least. They would likely say the same about me, but I have the constitution, the founders, and the supreme court on my side. They only have their inflated egos. I am not writing this to incite people. I am writing this in hopes that somehow I can make a tiny difference. I have no idea how many of my neighbors have the will to defend their constitutional rights. 2%? 20%? I am afraid that 20% is a high number, unfortunately. When push comes to shove many people may give up and submit to being ruled. I believe that our government is banking on this. What I do know is that this country was founded by people who had balls the size of Texas and Patriotic Americans take shit off of no one, especially our own government. For evidence of that, you might research the Revolutionary War. My question is how many Patriots are left? I would hope that our officials come to realize that, regardless of our numbers, we still exist because they are calling Patriotic Americans to action. They are making us decide if we want to die free or submit to their rule. I cannot tell you where you should stand on that. I do know that it may make the difference between living a life of freedom or slavery.

You must start thinking about this because I believe that the day is coming soon and I personally believe it has already been planned. Not all conspiracy theories are hogwash. They may throw down the gauntlet soon and my suggestion is that you prepare yourself to react.

I mean no disrespect to our elected officials but they need to understand that “We the People” will not be disarmed. If they proceed then it is they that are provoking us and we will act accordingly. We are within our rights to do so. For those who are in support of taking the guns, you need to ask yourself a very important question, and I am not just talking about the politicians, because if you support them, you have chosen your side. Are you willing to die to take my guns?

New | Reply Reply all Forward | Delete Junk

Sweep ?

Mark as ?

Move to ?

Categories ?

|

Close ad

AdChoices

© 2013 Microsoft Terms Privacy About our ads Advertise Developers

Help Center Feedback English

31-Jan-13
Well Stated Pat...Bravo!

If Feinstein, etal, were around when Cain slew Able she would have proposed banning any stick longer than 12 inches, or any rock small enough to be lifted overhead so there would have been "sensible weapon control".

Any weapon regardless of color, style or how many cartridges it can hold is absolutley inanimate and incapable of independent movement or action.

It is the actions of people that cause the problems.

I have had an armed intruder in my home, and I can assure you only the application of firepower prevented him having things go his way. I did not feel undergunned. And as long as I am here, I will not be.

Garo

31-Jan-13
""Hanging your hat on an antiquated doctrine" WOW!!! In my eyes, that pretty much nullifies anything else you posted!"

Agreed. Very sad.

31-Jan-13
"There were no AK's when the constitution( 2nd Amendment) was written, they shot 1 shot muskets if I'm correct.Took forever to reload."

Correct. Or stated another way, the citizens were armed equally with the gov't and criminals, as it should be.

31-Jan-13
Everyone who believes in the second amendment and our constitution needs to go to www.ruger.com. It has a campaign on the home page that you can sign your own letter or their letter and send it to your representatives and to the President and Vice President. You don't have to look them up it will send it automatically by giving your address.

Please spread the word!

31-Jan-13

whispering wind's embedded Photo
whispering wind's embedded Photo
Think about this. it's not about guns, it's about control.

01-Feb-13
Why do retired LEO's think there Opinion matters more than a civilian ?

01-Feb-13
I can give you a recent example of why the second amendment is necessary from a personal protection point of view.

My mother, who's in her seventies, had a suspected break in at her home. She called the police and it took at least an hour for them to respond. I live three hours away from her and could not help but I kept her on the phone until help arrived. My wife called the dispatcher in my mothers town of Independence Missouri after about thirty minutes with no response from the police. The dispatcher said they did not know when they could get an officer over there, which my mom only lives about ten blocks from the police station. So I had my wife call my uncle who lives a couple miles from my mom to go help it took them about five minutes to get there.

Luckily there was no intruder, but had there been, I would have felt a whole lot better if my mom owned a gun and was trained to defend herself with it. Because the police could have been responding to something much worse if there had been an intruder, although it would have been too late for my mom.

01-Feb-13
"There were no AK's when the constitution (2nd Amendment) was written, they shot 1 shot muskets if I'm correct. Took forever to reload."

Correct. Or stated another way, the citizens were armed equally with the gov't and criminals, as it should be.

Elkhuntr, perfectly stated!

I will be using that!

01-Feb-13
Well said Pat. There are alot of misinformed and misguided people in our country and for them I feel sorry.There are also those with the deliberate intention of disarming the law-abiding American citizen of his ability to defend himself and his family and property for the reason of people control.Any of us who have been in the situation of needing a weapon for defense of life and property know how dear that ability is and for certain officials who think they have the right and power to take the rights given to us in our Constitution by our founding fathers are only wanting to control us just like dictaors have in the past.I have fought for our country and will do so again if needed.

01-Feb-13
"Here is an important point of view. Is it correct?? You decide, but this is well worth reading to the end. If They Come for Your Guns, Do You Have a Responsibility to Fight?"

Who would be knocking on your door. Local police, state Police, armed forces, National Guard. We all know someone that has family in one of these jobs. Ask them to ask what would there family member do if they were told to go and get every firearm out there from law abiding citizens. Would they back their families or the govt.

01-Feb-13
I read Pat's WE STAND TOGETHER on Leatherwall, and posted on there. I no longer rifle hunt, but I love Traditional Archery. With that said you can read my post on Pat's thread on Leatherwall.

Also I post on the Leatherwall about a true article, where a lone German partrooper was blown off course, during an air drop, when Germany invaded Holland. One lone German soldier caputured an entire village.

GREAT THREADS ON BOWSITE AND LEATHERWALL, THANKS PAT FOR A JOB WELL DONE!

02-Feb-13
I tried to put the ww.ruger.com information on the leatherwall discussion on this subject but it didn't let me register. So if someone would please put it up there also I would appreciate it.

03-Feb-13
Gov. Cuomo's approval rating drops 15 points after new gun law.

03-Feb-13
Well said Pat!

After personally witnessing the shoddy gun handling skills by the CT State police,and hearing them say that they are only required to have three hours of range time per year, I SERIOUSLY question law enforcement's opinions on who should own what firearms.

04-Feb-13
Very well written Pat.

05-Feb-13
Very Well Written Pat, Thankyou, Bill

05-Feb-13
Thank most of you for backing the 2nd amendment.

06-Feb-13
A little education on the term "well regulated" as it applies to the 2A and the CONTEXT of the times when it was written........

quote [The meaning of the phrase "well-regulated" in the 2nd amendment From: Brian T. Halonen The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only NOT the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.] end quote

What the founders were refering to in "well regulated" was a MILITIA that was in "proper working order", or trained and ready, as ..."being necessary to the security of a free state...." (please note the word FREE!!) . They then went on to note that because it's THE PEOPLE who are that milita, then their "....right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Well regulated DOES NOT mean telling the militia what kind of arms it can and cannot have and/or accessories to those arms.

07-Feb-13
The problem with this whole issue is this: Were are the GUN SAFES or GUN CABINETS. Why are these things NOT locked up? Why are people just leaving these things unlocked so that people can get their hands on them. That people is asking for trouble. Remember, out of site, out of mind.

07-Feb-13
Also, our government wants gun control and wants to take our guns. WHAT does our government have to hide, what are they afraid of?

15-Feb-13
Well said, Pat.

16-Feb-13
I think we can save many more lives if we keeep people from drinking and driving. So, let's make it hard for regular people to get CARS. Same kind of thinking, right??

Right on PAT!!

18-Feb-13
well done. i'm on board

18-Feb-13

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
I'm in as well, and our Company will stand with Pat and Bowsite in supporting the 2nd Amendment at all costs.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

22-Feb-13
As a retired, 26 year of service Military member, there is no statute of limitations on the oath of enlistment. So you know where I am coming from.

Think back to this, the Second Amendment was written to assist the Federal Military in case the nation was attacked or occupied, and to also defend against a corrupt and tyrannical government.

It was written right after the Sons of Liberty threw a corrupt and tyrannical government out of the country. This was done with the help of the citizens, fighting along side of the regular forces.

When the Second Amendment was written, there was no Price Chopper or Costco to go buy steaks from. You either had a cow, or you hunted with your gun.

Having a gun was a given, so Coumo the argument of how many bullets does it take to kill a deer holds no water. It doesn't matter.

The bullets are needed to take back the liberties and freedoms that were slowly eroded away by the corruption of power hungry career politicians, right under the noses of a sleeping population.

It is time to wake up America!! You have been sleeping too long. Guys like Waco and them just don't get it. Jay

23-Feb-13
I cannot believe there are people on this site who still do not get it. Waco your views are perplexing and quite frankly scary to me. I'll tell you why I think we need AR-15's. It's because law enforcement officials and Government have them. Our right to bear arms for the purpose of rising up against a tyrannical government would do us very little good if the said government has more fire power than its people.

25-Feb-13
It would be intellectually dishonest to say that Obama or Biden or any other person of power doesn't understand or get what the 2nd amandment is for. That is why they keep saying "hunting".

This is a Neural Linguistic Programming technique. People who don't already associate hunting with guns will eventually will with the continual programming. The media will make sure that the word "hunting" is forefront in the average citizens mind. Why use NLP? Because it works.

These "leaders" already know what guns are for. They will never speak on it or address it and the media will ensure it doesn't get out if they accidentally do.

The idea is to make you a subject. A controllable, programmable subject. Why do you think 8 out of nine of the Harvard Law Professors are confirmed Marxists?

At this point open subversion may be a foregone conclusion. It's rather sad that it comes to this. If our guns go away...our right to say "no" follows.

27-Feb-13
If all citizens should be able to buy whatever weapons they want, why not drugs too? Are all you gun guys supporting marijuana legalization or are you hypocrites?

Gambling is highly regulated. Should anyone who wants to be able to open their own casino?

Everyone is entitled to the pursuit of happiness, right, so I guess seat belt and helmet laws are anti-American? What about hunting laws?

Point is, our society values and needs reasonable regulation.

Thanks to all those who have acknowledged that this is a debate about SOME guns, not ALL guns.

27-Feb-13
Scootmanjack, our right to bear arms is a second amendment right. No were in the bill of rights does it say anything about owning grass, casinos etc. Get with the program dude!!!!!!!

28-Feb-13
Get with the program, Fulldraw. Just because the second amendment protects an individual's right to bear arms, that does not mean that right cannot be reasonably regulated.

This absolutist interpretation is the main reason why the NRA and hardcore supporters of ALL guns without limitations have lost credibility in this public discussion re: gun control (doing a disservice to reasonable/responsible gun owners -- the silent majority).

Consider, for example, some other reasonable limitations on our constitutional rights... - the first amendment protects the right to assemble, but municipalities can require permits specifying where, when, etc. - the first provides for freedom of speech, but you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater - the 21st amendment made re-legalized alcohol, but its far from an open market -- the production and sale of alcohol is highly regulated.

The limitations placed on our constitutional rights are reasonable regulation in the public's best interests. And we have an independent judiciary to ensure that any regulations enacted do not abridge our rights. So why does the NRA oppose ANY AND ALL efforts to enact reasonable regulation? This absolutist position is both disingenuous (come on -- we all know civilians don't need and shouldn't have access military hardware) and, in fact, it threatens the liberties we cherish. As always, the answer is in the middle ground, and extremism and polarization of the debate actually runs counter to the interests of law abiding gun owners.

So, anyway, I'm all for SOME reasonable regulation.

Still curious how someone could reconcile opposing all regulation of weapons, but support the prohibition of marijuana...

28-Feb-13
It is obvious some hunters and sports lovers do not understand that it's not about what I or any other hunter or sportsman may NEED, it's about losing our Constitutional right. I applaud Pat for the stand the post above. Refreshing to see individuals with a backbone and insight to whats really going on with the leftist politician's underhanded motives. Thank you Pat!!

28-Feb-13
Scoot, it's hard for me tell from your post if you actually believe the nonsense you typed or are playing Devil's advocate.

Do you mean to imply that Firearms are NOT already highly regulated?

Do you hear ANYONE advocating for allowing a 12 year old to buy handguns? Do you hear anyone saying they should be able to buy a Nuke or a Land mine?

Equating Firearms to illegal drugs is so ludicrous that it doesn't deserve mention, so I won't.

If you do not grasp the true reason for the 2nd Amendment then you probably would trade away someone else's arms for what you perceive as the Gun Grabber's promises to leave yours alone. That's an incredibly naive and selfish position.

As many have stated here, we have the right to what the police and military have in the way of small arms. The Supreme Court said as much.

Our new Secy of State was apparently talking to you.

28-Feb-13
Well said, Pat. Thank you.

The arrogance of some politicians and a specific retired LEO on this board is frightening. No wonder NYC is the sewer it has become, when its public servants spew that drivel and have no interest in supporting the constitution that they swore to uphold. Bill

28-Feb-13
Hey Scoot, when the 2nd amendment was wrote it was so the people would have there arms I case they were needed to take back control from the government. Oh and I am sure the people shot the same muskets that the military had. There is a big difference from the AR platform rifles sold to the public and the weapons the military has. The government can take all our guns and the bad guys will still get there hands on them. There are plenty of weapons on the black market. Leave the people alone that are responsible and pay there over payed salaries.

The 21st amendment was written long after the original amendments were written. As far as booze goes its regulated cuz the government can't get there tax money off moonshine.

Now onto grass. What's so bad about it. Yeah in my younger days I smoked plenty of grass and I was too young to grow up in the 60's and 70's. I say legalize it. Tax the hell out of it and maybe we won't have to pay as much in taxes.

Anyways bottom line there are a lot more bigger problems in our country then whether or not the responsible people if this country have guns or not like all the illegals in our country taking jobs from American citizens. Yeah I deal with them every daybun my line of work.

27-Mar-13
Just last week I purchased my wife and brother Life Memberships in the NRA. I have had mine for years. So, yes I believe in supporting the NRA no doubt!

27-Mar-13
I agree, we must support the 2nd amendment at all cost.

Look at what has happened in Colorado, now we can not loan a gun to a good friend, we can not buy virtually all magazines etc. These bans will not prevent any crime.

The real issue is this: Prohibition did not work. Banning semi automatic weapons will not work, banning magazines will not work. However there are idiots here and all around the country who are willing to give these items up.

the new laws in Colorado will not see a decrease in crime, instead it will likely have the opposite effect. Once the magazine ban is in place criminals will still kill people using the banned magazines. When this occurs on a repeated basis they will then state, the prior ban was not enough there fore we need more... There is no room to give, it is not about gun manufacturers, it is not about criminals, it is not about hunting, it is about the survival of our Constitution and the very real possibility that our children will not enjoy the same freedoms that we have enjoyed.

You either believe in the 2ns amendment or you do not. If you do not head to Australia and see how nice it is!!!

02-Apr-13
Its 200 yrs old. Get over it. It says Miltia, not just anyone. Yes I hunt, and have weapons. Im glade we loyalists headed north. And left all the nuts in the US. For the pass 150 yrs we've have had to only worry about our neighbour to the South. Canada has never had the old west. Since 1868, you only required a gun to hunt.

02-Apr-13
CdnGrandpoppy - You've got nothing to worry about from this nut in the US.

Sorry the preamble to the 2nd Amendment has thrown you off, but the Supreme Court has ruled that you are incorrect. "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It is an individual right. Settled law.

This Kabuki theater is just the politicians and disingenuous limousine liberals trying to get around the law.

02-Apr-13
Thanks Pat and stay strong.

02-Apr-13
So lets give everyone a gun to nuts, criminals, gang bangers. Its there right too. If you read your own history books. It states "Miltia", as the people. Not any joe on the street. This was back in the 1770-80s there was no full time Army. The was for a couple of your own books as well as a friend from the US. O he did go to West Point, did 5 yrs. And now serves in the Canadian Army with me. He and I have served together for 26 of my 30+ yrs.

64 indian 64 The south is the US, not just the southern states.

11-Apr-13
Waco, Nordicarcher and others, I'm with you %100. I've owned many guns of the self protection and hunting variety (traditional hunting rifles, shotguns, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns). I've reloaded my own ammo for all of these except rim-fire calibers. Having said this, and being an avid shooter, we need to have some common sense. Unless you're going to war, you don't need 20 or 30 round clips to hunt or defend yourself. What a high capacity clip does is give an offender the ability to take out many people without having to reload. If one of these creeps had to eject and replace a clip after shooting 10 people instead of 30, perhaps someone could take the pause as an invitation to tackle him and save some lives.

If this is an issue for you about having the firepower to defend against a hostile government, take the time to think it through clearly. The governments firepower so overwhelms yours that, unless you can convince the soldiers to come to your side, and bring their equipment and arsenals with them, you don't stand a chance of prevailing with anything you can currently buy on the open market.

Let's go back to using guns for simple self defense and hunting. Anything we can buy now is better than the primitive single shot weapons used when the second amendment was written.

11-Apr-13
DEERSLAYER;;;;

I was very impressed with your post here; And I really think you should consider seeking some sort of board position with the NRA.............

I too am a Police Officer...... and I am 110% in favor of citizens right to bear arms......

For whatever reason;; I have never joined the NRA,,,,, Probably because I am a member of a couple of hunting organizations,, and I tried to limit the number of organizations I pay dues to.

Your post has inspired me to join the NRA. I think it's more important now than ever.

Good stuff Pat !!!

15-Apr-13
What planet you on, There were not enough Russian troops to invade stationed in Cuba. Wait, your from the south. That says it all. Anyone that wants to give guns to criminals has to be off his head.

17-Apr-13
Thanks for your support and superior effort Pat

There are still battles ahead unfortunately.

17-Apr-13
Fact check - did George W. Bush (R) support renewal of the assault weapons ban when it expired?

17-Apr-13
Gran poppy " anyone who wants to give guns to criminals must be off his head"

You mean like Eric Holder and Obama's Justice Dept.?

29-Apr-13
64 I served 35 yrs with the Canadian Army. 30 of it with the Airborne Regiment. And have 8 tours from Cyprus to Afghanistan. Ive met Russian soldiers a lot tougher than most US soldiers. They didn't invade not because they were chicken. There was no way to. Basic American thinking that you people are the best. My ancestors move to SW Ontario, and kicked the shit out of the US in 1812. They were a bunch of Militia soldiers. People think there was a lot of Brits, there was only 6000 Brits in Canada at that time.

18-Jun-13
Grandpoppy, you're a hoot ;-)

18-Jun-13
Personally I feel additional limitations are asinine until you start enforcing the existing limitations. Although many lack the critical thinking required to realize that there's more we can do that can have a greater impact outside of more "limitations".

18-Jun-13
Pat, your article is very well written.

GOD, guns and guts have kept America free;

At any cost, lets keep all three!

>>>>-------->

19-Jun-13
Spoken like a true leftist.

20-Jun-13
Matt Finney, you may not believe in God, but God believes in you.

:-)

20-Jun-13
Matt there is a beginning and and an end to everything. This is stated in the Bible, that God has a plan for everyone. An God is a God who is loving. I am sorry that you cannot comprehend that.

• Sitka Gear