Buglmin 04-Jul-15
Surfbow 05-Jul-15
Beendare 05-Jul-15
Matt 05-Jul-15
Badlands 05-Jul-15
Start My Hunt 06-Jul-15
Beendare 06-Jul-15
27-Jan-13
I am planning a DIY over the counter elk hunt in either Colorado or Idaho this year. Because of my age and condition, I would like to keep it below 9,000 feet. I'm not looking for a specific spot, just a game unit # that would fit my low altitude goal. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I will be archery hunting only in Sept so I need low altitude areas that would carry elk during the month of Sept. Any help would be appreciated.

27-Jan-13

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Southern Idaho has a ton of zones that dont go above 9k ft.

If you're worried about conditioning, I'd worry more about how much elevation you have to gain and lose at the beginning/end and during your trip than the highest elevation reached.

For instance, if you could drive 12000 ft in the colorado flat tops and never dropped below 11k ft, that'd be less work than if you could only drive to 5500 ft in ID but had to climb to 8500 ft to get to the elk.

Check out the link for a very useful tool from the ID fish and game dept that allows you to put in a zone and then look at the borders and topo for that zone.

27-Jan-13
Drive another day and hunt in OR or WA.

27-Jan-13
I agree with IdyllwildArcher. Idaho has some very vertical areas. I'd be looking at topo maps for sure.

27-Jan-13
Little Flat Tops in the Yampa CO area top out around your criteria. I used to hunt 231 and it could be great or not great depending on if you find the elk or not just like all the other units.

27-Jan-13
I suspect he doesn't want to hike long distances from the truck either. Therefore Flattops wouldn't be my first choice if that is the case.

As far as 11,000-12,000 being better than 5000-8000 due to less change in altitude, that is only partly right. Steepness is one factor, but thin are is another biggee at higher elevations.

You might consider a tresspass private land DIY hunt if you can spend $1500-2500.

There are areas both north and south of a line from Glenwood springs to Grand Junction that would fit your desire on public land, but as with any areas with better vehicle access and less steep terrain, there are lots of hunters. Your best bet would be a tresspass hunt or drop camp.

You could also consider renting horses, but they are a big hassle if you aren't that familiar with them (and sometimes even if you are).

27-Jan-13
Be careful in the Little Flat Tops of the sheep. Early season, there's a herd of like a thousand sheep up there and the elk will be no where near the sheep. The terrain isn't so bad though, despite the elevation. Come in from the south, much better route than the north - if the sheep are up there, you'll have to walk farther if you come in from the north.

I still think you can find a lot of areas that are around the same type of terrain as 231 with lower elevation. I'm bringing my 63 y/o dad on this trip so I've mellowed out my ambitions and found a few zones in several states that, even if you have to gain elevation, you can do it slowly.

I think a big key is finding an area where you can drive to a very high elevation in comparison to where you're going.

There's also a lot of areas with somewhat rolling hills compared to others.

27-Jan-13
Where I hunt in MT & Wyo 9000 feet isn't low hunting.

Lots of elk from 6500 to 8000

Pay attention to Idyllwilds post.... it's key. 0ld or not I always look for high trailheads or roads that gain alot of elevation to start from.

You'll have no problems with a little homework Truman.

Best of luck to you!

27-Jan-13
Yeah, the mountain meadow maggots were seriously a problem in 231, one of the reasons I quit that area, but going where they weren't worked.

27-Jan-13
thanks for the info. Mule Power my 9,000 figure was to let anyone know my maximum elevation I wish to hunt. I hunt Wyoming when I can get a license. I don't expect to be drawn this year. I will need to get a map of Idaho to checkout the areas that Idyllwildarcher suggested.

27-Jan-13
Put in for the breaks in Montana there only about 3,000 ft great for old guys.

27-Jan-13
The Oregon Coast...

Think sea level, logging roads, either sex OTC tags and you can do a day or two of Salmon fishing in the ocean at the end if the trip..

Cast & Blast anyone???

27-Jan-13
I hunted Coastal Oregon this past season (Alsea) and I think it was some of the most rugged hunting/hiking I've ever done.

4 to 6 ft ferns everywhere. Everything seemed to be straight up and down and if you wanted to get into elk, you had to get off the roads cause that's where everyone else was. The creek canyons are straight up and down. The only easy hunting is walking the ridges.

The air is good, for sure, but damn is there a lot of rain and if there's sun, its hot and humid.

I'll be heading back to the interior this year.

Beautiful country for sure. I did get an ocean salmon while there and that was really cool. Did a float trip for salmon and steel head on the trip up to get the meat/antlers. I'm planning on going to Humbolt this summer just for ocean salmon.

27-Jan-13
i have killed 19 elk in colorado with my bow, none over 9500 feet

28-Jan-13
You might think about getting on with the Boulder Police Dept - I hear you can hunt while on duty and never have to leave town :)

28-Jan-13
+1 on the Idaho suggestion and the Mont idea.

Good luck, Robb

28-Jan-13
Bigdan and Bulelk1, I'm also applying to Montana this year if I don't draw in Wy but again I don't think I will draw. Next year will be different. Next year I will have points in both Montana and Wyoming and can flip flop states every other year. I don't know what the odds are to draw a general tag in Montana but have been told it's 17% without a point. 23% in Wyoming. Are my figures correct?

28-Jan-13
Last year there were over 1000 leftover General Elk licenses in Montana. 100% odds with zero points. I don't expect that to change much this year.

The Breaks permit is a different story.

28-Jan-13
Mule Power, if that is the case we will be hunting in Montana but it doesn't hurt to think ahead. Will it help to improve the odds if I include deer with my application in Montana or does that only effect the draw % in the second draw option?

28-Jan-13
"You might think about getting on with the Boulder Police Dept - I hear you can hunt while on duty and never have to leave town :) Dale T"

Its comments like that that cause me to spit coffee on my computer. Mike

28-Jan-13
NM blm land or private land would be an option every year with the current LO tag system. Some lower country to be had there.

28-Jan-13
Deer won't help. You don't need any help with those odds.

Any idea where in Montana you'd like to hunt?

How many in your party?

29-Jan-13
Mule Power, There are three in our party. If in Montana we will be hunting in regeon 3 near Bozeman.

29-Jan-13
Sounds like you have a plan Bill. Get that party app in by March 15 and you'll be good to go. Any license questions call 406-444-2950

Have a great hunt!

Joe

29-Jan-13
Dale T--funny! I hear that's a one-time hunt though...

03-Jul-15
Forest bows: Wondering id you could share some areas you would consider. I am coming from Tennessee. Would the Creed area be an option? Thanks for any input.

04-Jul-15
Creeds is in GMU 76. You'd need to be in 79, 68, 67.

05-Jul-15
You know, everyone says elk avoid the sheep, but last year we were riding dirt bikes near Steamboat in August and came across a big herd of sheep in a meadow. Not 50 yards from the sheep there was a small group of 5-6 cow elk, dunno, maybe it was a fluke...I was surprised that they would tolerate the sheep dogs so close.

05-Jul-15
Hey some guys have asthma issues, COPD....even only one lung and those guys are smart not to hunt at high elevation.

I think the trespass fee on ranches on lower ground is a good idea. You can find those in many western states. You have to ask them if the elk are low in archery season as some of those ranches don't have many elk until the snow comes.

05-Jul-15
Can you even live with only one lung? ;-)

05-Jul-15
The Island Park units in Idaho are only around 6500 feet for most of them. There are better units but none are flatter. There are plenty of Peaks in this unit but also thousands of acres of flat ground. Take your GPS, without landmarks you can get lost in that lodge pole jungle.

You won't be alone here but rifle tags are limited so you have real opportunities at nice bulls. One of my good friends is 3/4 the last 4 years there.

06-Jul-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Hi Bill,

If I can be of some assistance, you might be interested in checking out the link above.

06-Jul-15
"Can you even live with only one lung? ;-) "

The real question is are you slower on the ice....or are your competitors just getting younger and faster?

• Sitka Gear