DonVathome 20-Apr-13
Outdoorsdude 20-Apr-13
Inshart 21-Apr-13
twojump 23-Apr-13
midwest 23-Apr-13
Fetrokes 08-Jan-24
Kannuck 09-Jan-24
27-Feb-13
Looking for a wood stove or pellet stove to heat a wall tent. Any ideas or recommendations. Like the cla*** pellet stove, but it is too pricey for me ($1200)!!. Not really interested in a gas or propane heater as the fumes scare me. Have a 14 x 16 tent Thanks in advance

27-Feb-13
Check out Canvas Cabin in Oregon. I have two of their stoves, one rather small and the other for winter. Both were purchased almost 20 years ago and are going fine.

Trick is to put about an inch of sand/gravel in the bottom. Keeps fire better and slows burnout of the metal.

27-Feb-13
Take a look at 4 dog stoves. My 3 dog has been great in my 10X12. I second the sand on the bottom of the stove.

27-Feb-13

27-Feb-13
Check out Cylinder Stoves. They are great!

28-Feb-13
Riley makes a pellet stove for about $550. Some can burn wood or pellets. Pellets have problems at higher elevations. Check out their web sight.

28-Feb-13
x2's two on the cylinder stove...great stove..

28-Feb-13
X10 n the Cylinder Stoves out of Utah.

For a 14 X 16 the 0utfitter model... one step down from the Yukon which is the biggest. If you ALWAYS drive to camp get the Yukon... you won't have to restack it during the night.

28-Feb-13

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo
Here is my Riley

28-Feb-13
Cylinder Stove. Well made. It has heated my 12x14 for the last 15 years and I expect it to last another 15 years.

28-Feb-13

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
Quick Camp....

I have a 12 x 15... The propane heater shown was for some heat while we set up, as it was a very cold 30 degrees with wet snow....

The Quick Camp stove is an awesome stove. It drafts very well, is well made and has lasted for years. If you load it up at night, expect to stay nice and warm all night and wake up to hot coals in the morning that will take right off when you open the damper. This is about the best made stove I could find, and I looked for a couple years and I own my own fab shop.... so I tried a bunch of stoves that I built on my own....

Nothing I've used comes close to this stove. It is a bit heavy so I don't know I'd use it for a pack in type hunt off of horses, but for a typical wall tent type camp where you can drive something fairly close, this it "The One"

28-Feb-13

twojump's embedded Photo
twojump's embedded Photo
Quick Camp....

I have a 12 x 15... The propane heater shown was for some heat while we set up, as it was a very cold 30 degrees with wet snow....

The Quick Camp stove is an awesome stove. It drafts very well, is well made and has lasted for years. If you load it up at night, expect to stay nice and warm all night and wake up to hot coals in the morning that will take right off when you open the damper. This is about the best made stove I could find, and I looked for a couple years and I own my own fab shop.... so I tried a bunch of stoves that I built on my own....

Nothing I've used comes close to this stove. It is a bit heavy so I don't know I'd use it for a pack in type hunt off of horses, but for a typical wall tent type camp where you can drive something fairly close, this is "The One"

28-Feb-13
Twojump... no doubt they are a really really nice stove... but man you pay for it.

28-Feb-13
I have an old sheephearder stove that I got from cabelas over 20 years ago and it still works great in my 14 x 16 tent. I also supplement it with a propane heater. We have a quick camp stove for our 16 x 20 which we use in our sleep tent. Also nice to have a propane heater there too. No matter what they tell you about burn time don't beleive it. Trust me, you'll be stoking it every 4 hours or so. Maybe that wouldn't be the case if you buned hard wood but here in Colorado its pine and aspen. Also, dont be afraid of propane-with some simple precautions they work great. But there is something about a wood burning stove that just feels right.

28-Feb-13
I have been running a Propane heater in my 14' x 16' for 10 years now, it works just fine, and I don't have to waist time cutting wood. JMO

Kevin

28-Feb-13
I agree, propane works great. Especially when you get to where your going to set up and there's snow or its raining and cutting wood is the last thing you want to do. Thats why we use both. My best buddy who I hunt with is from Minnesota and I swear they were born with a chain saw in their hands. So we cut wood, and lots of it. We always have awesome camp fires at night too, Nothing better than sharing a fire with friends and an adult beverage or 2 (or 3).

28-Feb-13
Yep. Propane for me in my wall tents. Clean and quick

01-Mar-13
I used to hunt the central Idaho area in the December season. -15 to -20 many nights. You can have the propanes. Wood and lots of it plus army cots were the only way to go.

01-Mar-13
RClll... you would think that if you own a Sheepherder.

If you know how to run a cylinder stove properly you can sleep til morning and have coals left to fire it right back up in the morning. That's with the 0utfitter. If you have the bigger Yukon you can definitely set the alarm and forget about it.

Here's what I do.... Stack the hell out of it before dinner. Give it a fair amount of air from the bottom and learn to time things so that all of the wood is gone before bed and there is a heck of a bed of coals in there. Do N0T add a log during happy hour and go to bed with half burned stuff in there. Those coals are important. That's what will enable you to damp it waaay down so it lasts without having it die on you.

Before jumping in your sleeping bag knock down the coals & stack it FULL. An unsplit round in the middle, some split logs jammed tightly around that... and even smaller stuff filling the gaps.

Just under 1/8 inch gap in the air holes with the top damper all the way closed... it has holes so it'll still draw. When I see that 1/8 inch crescent shaped glow.... I'll see you in the morning.

If I happen to need to go outside during the night I'll see what I can fit in there. If I put a log or 2 in during the night with the coals I'll have a really cozy tent to wake to.

0h yeah... make sure you have an inch or so of rock free dirt across the bottom to prevent warping and to help retain heat.

I have a friend from WA. He has wood heat only. Before he came to guide in MT he cut split and stacked enough wood for the entire winter back home. When he got back in late November his wife said she froze, had to get up every night, and ALL of the wood was gone! Yeah... even with a good stove there's a learning curve. ha ha

01-Mar-13
Like Mulepower, I always use a cylinder wood stove in my tents. And always get a great nights sleep, except when the elk wake me up with their bugling at the wee hours. Make mine out of 20 gal. drums, learned that from a Bitteroot outfitter who hunted our area in the fifties. Weathered the -40F November storm of 1978 season in the Skalko, with no problem. We did burn allot wood though.

01-Mar-13
Thanks Mule, we'll give it a shot.

01-Mar-13
Any suggestions on which propane heaters above 10K or 10,800? I use a large Kifaru for the pack ins and a cylinder stove for roadside, nonpacking-in camp.

01-Mar-13
Another vote for Cylinder stoves. Get the water heater on the side and you will love it............

01-Mar-13
Yep, Mule Power has some good advice on the Cylinder stoves.

I've used the cheap folding sheet metal versions which are great if you need them to pack but the fact they aren't airtight ensures you have to keep feeding them. A good damper helps a lot with any of these stoves....

02-Mar-13
MP, just wondering...is your capital "O" key broken? Not that I'm OCD or anything, but it's been bugging the hell out of me. ;-)

02-Mar-13
Midwest... that is hilari0us!!!! Y0u are the 0nly 0ne wh0 n0ticed.... maybe? My key pad t00k a crap 0n me last week. Just the letter 0. The puter sh0p is waiting 0n a part bef0re they can fix it. I can use spell check t0 fix the l0wer case 0nes but n0t a capit0l. Have t0 use the zer0. LMA0!

"Bugging the hell 0ut 0f me"... cracked me right up!

I'm anal.. any type err0rs bug the hell 0ut 0f me. Tink neerly gave me a nervis braked0wn!! ha ha

S0rry! :-)

02-Mar-13
Pour some coffee (no sugar or cream) through it.

Oh yeah, turn it off first.

02-Mar-13
Thanks for the explanation, MP. I'm feeling much better now!

....still laughing

02-Mar-13
Dont waste your time with the cheap cabelas model. I am looking for another. Pro's..its light. Con's it does not retain any heat, burns irregularly, and you get to stoke it all the time...every 2-3 hours unless burning oak or other hard wood. cant travel with wood anymore. Oh, tried duraflame logs bought as a starter and then buddy stoked it up with more in the night..dont do this. Bad fumes in any back draft or smoke... almost as toxic as the 4 days of bear/venison chili.

03-Mar-13
I want to Thank those who responded, stil weighing the pros and cons and comparing apples to apples. several excellant ideas

17-Apr-13
4 Dog stove for sure

18-Apr-13
Kwik Kamp Blaze octagonal tent stove... use it... love it.

18-Apr-13

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I use this last year. Its a 4 burner stove out of a camper. I have a stove jack in my tent but I didn't set up my wood stove. and it keep us plenty warm.

19-Apr-13
Bigger the better. Bigger stove means it will hold more wood. More wood means longer burn time.

I bought my stove from Davis Tent & Awning. I cant remember which model, but it's the biggest one they have.

19-Apr-13

19-Apr-13
Listen to coolcop. I had a 4 dog in a 16 by 20. It worked great but, wasn't big enough in really cold windy weather if you intended to wake to a tent that didn't require out waiting your hunting buddies to get the fire stoked up. It was great for me though as I really had no problem winning those wars as I quit drinking and I had a military surplus down bag.

Single digit minus temps and a dying fire was no worries to me. I would just snuggle in and snore because sooner or later somebody was going to have to dispose of the earlier consumed Miller Lite's. :^)

Honestly, go one size bigger than they are rated or advised for. A big fire box is nice when it is real cold and makes drying clothes much easier. If you live in coal country, add a grate, some dirt under it, throw a walmart bag of coal on the burned down wood coals before bed and awake to a warm tent. Because every now and then, you'll be tending a night of camp by yourself and arising to a negative digit tent will be your burden if you get a stove who's fiebox is too small. God Bless

20-Apr-13
Cabelas sheepherder stove, I have a small one. Plenty hot but burns out in 4 hours.

BE VERY CAREFUL - but consider this, charcoal. Produces a lot of CO. It last a looong time, light front edge close vent etc and it will almost make it through a long setp night.

Best tip I ever got. Next best bet is pellet stove with a hopper that feeds in as it burns.

Or put your purse down and tough it out:)

Just kidding DJ, stoves are nice but super hot at bedtime then cold in AM. I like a mr buddy fired up 20 minutes before you want to roll out of your bag.

Also a $100 good canvas bag 0 degrees, flannel inside. So comfy compared to my spike camp bag.

20-Apr-13

Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
welded up my own (it helps that my brother owns a 8ft break). Tips in at 60+lbs (everything packed inside). but hey, we camp when the 4x4 truck doesn't really want to go farther. And since we are camping out of the back of a truck and utility trailer(yes I haul my own fire wood in too- big time saver) I also bring a Mr Heater for the AM.

21-Apr-13
Outdoorsdude - I like your portable out house. LOL

23-Apr-13
That's a great tip there on the shovel handle... Nice stove man!

23-Apr-13
"Just kidding DJ, stoves are nice but super hot at bedtime then cold in AM. I like a mr buddy fired up 20 minutes before you want to roll out of your bag.

Also a $100 good canvas bag 0 degrees, flannel inside. So comfy compared to my spike camp bag."

Ditto! Exactly what I have/do.

08-Jan-24
I'm all about saving money, so I'd go for a camping pellet stove. You can't beat the price of free firewood, and I don't mind a little extra work chopping and tending the fire. Just make sure you have a good ventilation system and a carbon monoxide detector.

09-Jan-24
WOW! 10+ year old thread bump. Nice

• Sitka Gear