Prairie Dog 12-Apr-13
wacem 12-Apr-13
cnelk 14-Apr-13
'Ike' (Phone) 15-Apr-13
Charlie Rehor 15-Apr-13
doubledrop 15-Apr-13
Shug 19-Apr-13
10-Apr-13
I heard/read about this somewhere about making a rubbing post in a specific location for bucks to rub their antlers on. I'm just curious if it would work for a place that several bucks would use (to get trailcam pics or ??).

Has anyone tried this?

10-Apr-13
It should work as rubs are used by many different bucks not just one.

10-Apr-13

Tree Killer's embedded Photo
I've been getting photos of blacktail bucks rubbing forest service posts for years.

10-Apr-13
Boy, that pic came out small?

10-Apr-13

10-Apr-13

10-Apr-13

10-Apr-13

10-Apr-13
Tree Killer, doesn't it seem that they use the cedar posts more? They seem to use the old cedar posts in my fences and not much else. Elk like to use them to if nothing else around.

10-Apr-13
Yes beltbull, most the old USFS signs are cedar. But a friend put up a pressure treated 4x4 he bought at Home Depot out 2 years ago...then left for Afganistan. He got back this fall and found that bucks had been shredding his post!

I have some cool videos too, don't know how to load those though?

10-Apr-13
I hunted a property that had about 1/4 mile of barbed wire fencing with cedar posts and the whitetail bucks had rubbed every one of the post; some where rubbed almost clear through. They also had rubbed utility poles too.

10-Apr-13

vmcfadden 's embedded Photo
vmcfadden 's embedded Photo
Any post with smell they seem to like.

10-Apr-13
That was a utility pole. They had just replaced it the year before. If you look close at the bottom you can see the old one. I wish I would have taken a picture before they replace it. The old pole looked like a hour glass. I guess they figured it wasn't strong enough anymore.

11-Apr-13

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This is a cedar post that I set at the edge of a field near stand & I get tons of pics at it.

11-Apr-13

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This post was in an old fence line that we cleared this past year. They were already using it. I saved it & relocated it to the field edge. They went right back to shredding it. If you can get them to use it, they are one of the better spots to set a trail cam. You don't get as many pics of does.

11-Apr-13
T Roy x2! I shot a buck off of an old fence post that was shaved down to an hour glass....came back 4 days later and it was snapped off.

Will be replacing it this spring.

Mark

11-Apr-13
CJ Winand talks about two different kinds of rubs on trees. The little trees that get hit one time and the bigger ones that get hit over and over, year after year. I guess if you could make one close to a stand that would be great rather than putting a stand close to the rub.

11-Apr-13
So it sounds like a cedar post would work the best?

What size diameter cedar would you suggest?

11-Apr-13
Those are some cool pics - gonna have to try it!

Lee

11-Apr-13

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
It even works for turkeys!

11-Apr-13

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
And coyotes!

Hunt, I would think that a 6''-8'' post would work fine. I have found a few rubbed posts in not so great locations & have relocated them near a stand.

They will go right back to using them, however, I try not to handle them any more than I have to. Don't know if it makes that much difference, but better safe than sorry. A couple of good rains, and they are probably as good as used.

Give it a try! Good luck....t-roy

12-Apr-13
Are there better areas (close the field edge, middle, shade, sun, etc...) to put in a post?

12-Apr-13
I still have 1/2 of my old rub post in the garage. It was finally broken off after being shredded to an hour glass shape! It was about a 6" fence post from my granpas barn. We got the idea from seeing rubs on power poles and an old corner post full of fence staples!

Ever see a concrete buck yard ornament with the antlers busted off? Kinda what sold me on decoys!!

12-Apr-13
Hunt, I like to put them in inside corners especially if there is a good tree stand spot near there. Seems the deer like to enter the fields from these areas.

Any place where you have had a lot of buck activity (primary scrapes, old rubs, etc) would probably be a good spot as well.

Try them in several spots & see which ones get used. If some of them don't work, you are only out a little sweat equity. (the posts can be used for something else)

12-Apr-13
Hunt98, My post is back off a field edge about 35 yards. The area is a thick funnel for the deer on their way to the groceries.

I have a another spot picked out that I am going to put a post in. It is in a staging area about 120 yards back in the timber.

Mark

12-Apr-13

Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
This one was in Ne. it's probably gone by now. PD

12-Apr-13
I used a 4 inch soft maple and it worked for me.

14-Apr-13
I was in Nebraska this weekend turkey hunting and took this pic just for this thread...

A true WT rub line on fence posts!

photo DSC04437_zpse84d6ca2.jpg

15-Apr-13
Those are great...Ron, I need that Blacktail! ;-)

15-Apr-13

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Cut down a tree, get a post digger, dig a hole and plant the tree at the edge of a big corn field. This will bring the bucks and does to the post and perhaps it will be near your stand:))

PS: There is usually a prefered kind of tree being used by your target buck(s) so use that kind.

15-Apr-13
I have been looking to do this for awhile now and think I would like to have them in my spots where there is not a great funnel. I would also like to use it in my food plots to get them using a particular area of it more often. I saw a guy's website called cedarpostrubs.com and he shrink wraps them after starting them in deer farms and encloses the starter scent. I think that could be pretty productive. I'm excited to try it.

19-Apr-13
Would it be best to buy a post, use an old fence post, or find a cedar tree thats been rubbed and relocate it?

19-Apr-13
Tree killer...I'll give ya $500 for the GPS numbers in that post...

• Sitka Gear