PA 09-Feb-16
brianhood 09-Feb-16
snapcrackpop 09-Feb-16
griz 11-Feb-16
bowpackerROB 11-Feb-16
Genesis 11-Feb-16
shane 13-Feb-16
23-May-13
Just was looking at their website and it said they are no longer taking orders or doing repairs due to the passing of the owner.

23-May-13
wow....and they had THE BEST WOOL out there too!

24-May-13
that is as good a reason as any to go out a business.

24-May-13
wolfs come in many forms poor sheep

24-May-13
Pat- What do you mean the wool business has been beaten up bad? It seems to be booming to me. Everyone is going to merino wool for their base layers now and moving away from synthetics. Just my observation anyways. Five years ago you wouldn't be able to find merino wool and now most brands offer something in wool. Just saying...I don't think that the product was the problem.

24-May-13
"Thought it was good lookin' wool"..... The Money Pit.....

Merino sheep are a different breed than the standard wool sheep. KOM I believe was standard wool. High quality and well made though. Cost put it on another level for sure. It was some of the original "high end" hunting clothing.

27-May-13
Got a pair of "On Stand Bibs" size 32W if anyone wants to buy them.

27-May-13
If they were bigger I would.

27-May-13
If I was smaller I would

28-May-13
I too have a few Sleeping Indian items for sale, Large Parka and pants (Gray) XL Parka (White) used but in great shape. I have been using SI for many years. Its the best in my opinion. Just happen to have some xtra around. Drop me a PM if interested.

Craig

28-May-13
I use merino wool exclusively for my base layer and my second layer on top. I love the outer wool products SL and KOM made but just can't get over the price tags. I did by a vest from Silent Preditor on a discount a couple years ago an it is top rate. Wish I would have invested in the pants at that time. There prices have gone up also.

28-May-13
Wool is great stuff. KOM and SI has gotten out of touch with affordability. Asbell wool does very well at a 1/4 of the price. Also American sewn, so no excuses for a house payment set of clothes you can't machine wash, etc... that KOM or SI use for their outrages prices.

While I hate to hear why they went out of business, I seriously doubt they were going to make it as a business regardless, due to the price tag. Just my .2 worth. God Bless

28-May-13
Wool is good stuff, but I think it will always be a small niche market compared to the synthetics which seem to constantly get better.

Sad to hear SI is gone...such is life, death and business.

30-May-13
I have the bow hunter pullover xxl, northbound hat, size 38-40 pants with suspenders that I have used maybe 5 times...if anyone is interested.

30-May-13
Sorry to hear this, sorry to hear why they're going out of business. They made good wool outers.

Agree with the prices of all quality wool being "out there", plus the new generation of hunters has moved to camo jogging clothes - er.. stretchy synthetic outers. Which is great stuff too, but whenever I put it on I feel like I need to grow a little ponytail and buy a Prius...

A few years ago I was at a Cabelas sale and bought a pair of KOM bunwarmers at closeout price. Thought it was a great price, which it was. When I got to the checkout, the girl stopped and called someone because she thought they were priced wrong at $200. I told her it was a good deal,and she replied, "For a pair of pants???!!!"

30-May-13
Is King of Mountain still in business or just a name change? Still use some of the old KOM stuff and like it.

31-May-13

jerseyjohn's embedded Photo
jerseyjohn's embedded Photo
Lets see some Sleeping Indian in action! Alberta in November of 2002. My brother on the left and I. Larry became real sick on this hunt and when I flew him home to NJ we found out he had pancreatic cancer. He battled it for 10+ years and lost his fight Feb 16th, 2013. He was a great hunter, Maine guide, and an excellent fly fisherman. I now have his Si and this thread just made me think of our times spent in our SI clothing. Many, many days in November in Maine and the Adirondacks hunting trophy whitetails in the big woods. RIP buddy! JJ

31-May-13
Sorry to hear about Larry. That's tough, man. Hope you and your "wild and woolly" brother made tons of memories.

Shadow Man

03-Jun-13
Been hunting and guiding hard for the past 20 years with the same pair of KOM Bunwarmers and Trappers pullover. I still have not come close to warning them out. Before that I never got anything to last more than a season or two. Wool is more expensive but a lot cheaper in the long run. Did I say how quiet it is!! Tao

22-Jun-13
Druman i set you a PM.

23-Jun-13
I talked to Ted on the phone several times and bought an entire setup right down to the bely......nice guy and glad I did. He even made some modifications to the shirt I bought which is awesome! Have had it for for or five years now and hope to have it til the end of my hunting days,,,,,,,, Trav

17-Dec-13
I have every piece of sleeping Indian made in snow camo it is the best there is for my country in Wyoming, and looking for more in the brown camo

17-Dec-13
Guys ever look into Beagel Outdoors.... They are out of Vermont

18-Dec-13
so sad TINK

03-Jan-14
I am looking to buy Sleeping Indian wool camo clothing in both brown and grey.

Specifically I am looking for Mountain Hunter Extreme Parka in both Brown and Grey Camo XL.

Also Outfitter jacket in Brown Camo XL.

Finally, other Sleeping Indian accessories in both Brown and Grey Camo.

Thank you.

21-Jan-14
Watts...what ya gotta have for the bibs? pm me if you want

steve

21-Jan-14
SJJ not sure if you realized watts post was 8 months ago.

Sad to see that pic of John and his brother. Two great men taken way to early.

21-Jan-14
Ted knew his wool. When I was just out of college he made me a "shirt"- more like a jacket. I had just got married and was not the richest man in the world. He said pay me when you can, and he never measured me and said he would make it a little big so it would "grow" with me. He knew my size when I walked into the door. I would stop by and pay him in cash and in installments. Come October, he asked me to stop by. My most favorite of favorite of garments and I wore it yesterday. Hard to believe that "shirt" is now over 20 years old and is still in perfect condition. I have a pair of bibs, a sheep mountain wool cap, and bomber cap. Best stuff in the world. My biggest mistake was never buying a jacket from him. I always put some polypropylene under my SI shirt and was good to go. I will give the shirt to my son when he comes of age. Ted really put his heart and soul into his work. He is missed.

21-Jan-14
there is some of it on E-bay.

TBB

04-Jul-14
Anyone have any SI pants in 38-40 waist to sell ? Let me know [email protected]

08-Feb-16

SleepingIndian's embedded Photo
SleepingIndian's embedded Photo
Sleeping Indian back in business! Same wool, same person sewing, new casual wool, and all made in the USA! If anyone wants to know anything feel free to contact me directly at (303) 929-1215.

08-Feb-16
Awesome!!! Good luck with your business!

08-Feb-16
Website?

08-Feb-16
I am glad to hear Sleeping Indian is still out there. I buy from Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont. There is plenty of demand for good wool products. I am glad to hear there are options.

08-Feb-16
Wool has its place...

...like everywhere. Glad to see SI is back.

08-Feb-16
Glad you are back! Good luck with the business.

08-Feb-16
My KOM is starting to wear so glad SI is coming back!!!

09-Feb-16
Very glad to hear your back at it.

09-Feb-16
Sleeping Indian, Is that set up at Harrisburg? Are you at the NRA Great Outdoors Show in PA?

09-Feb-16
Im Pumped!! Great that the line has been resurrected!!

09-Feb-16
SleepingIndian - What color is that hooded coat you first pictured... I have an old school shirtjac in the lighter grey color (luv it), and remember the brown back them being a little darker in color, but this one pictured looks a little in between... Thanks

09-Feb-16
Glad SI is carrying on despite the loss. That is a really handsome garment. What color is it? Looks perfect for Wyoming sage, with carryover to snow/winter.

My only gripe with wool is really more with the g@#d%#m moths that eat holes in it? Is there a surefire way to eliminate them (the micro caterpillars?) from eating holes in them besides mothballs? Please don't say dryclean and put away in the bag.

09-Feb-16
SleepingIndian - That is the exact shirtjack I have... I assume that is called grey?

Yeah willliamtell, works great as snow camo, but a little too light in color for my area with leaves down and no snow, and reason I ask the other color..

SleepingIndian - Is that first picture of hooded coat called brown?

As said, the old brown seemed darker...

Thanks

09-Feb-16
Good to hear!

09-Feb-16
I don't know if it's "surefire" but I store my wool and silk in cedar drawers and have never had a problem with moths with anything stored in there.

09-Feb-16
Same as Lou, have a cedar chest, no problems with moths.

09-Feb-16
Great news

09-Feb-16
I would think permethrin would kill the moths & not smell?

11-Feb-16
All, I stopped by their booth yesterday at Harrisburg and rest assured the quality is as good as it gets. Greg and Jeremy were great to talk to and I will be placing an order soon. I suggest if you are at the show to stop by and try some stuff on so you can easily order your size if they don't have what you want there. Really nice guys that are continuing the tradition of Sleeping Indian the right way. It was great to see and actually touch the product and even more so when it is fully US made. And for the record, I have no relation with SI, just enjoy quality hunting gear.

11-Feb-16
Great company, I have 2 pullovers that Ted made for me before he died with the additional pockets with zippers. I usually store mine in a zip lock green bag with cedar chips and pine knots. Think the bag is an old scentlok bag. Smells awesome when you get them out as well, very woodsy!!

11-Feb-16
Advice from somebody who knows nothing about the garment industry.

Immediately start using the terms "offering","pieces" and "system"

Lastly,don't forget to keep most things backordered....it's so cool nowadays.

13-Feb-16
Do they have a website? I called myself searching but didn't find it.

Thanks

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear