Nowork 09-Jun-13
Surfbow 09-Jun-13
tenpoint 10-Jun-13
Kevin Dill 10-Jun-13
Broken Arrow 23-Jun-13
jims 23-Jun-13
jims 23-Jun-13
03-Jun-13
Does anybody use trekking/hiking poles for hunting? I've seen a lot of hikers use them. I'm going on a backcountry hunt in steep stuff around treeline with about 35lbs on my back. What do you all think?

03-Jun-13
Yes, I highly recommend them.

03-Jun-13

elkmtngear's Link
X2

The SLIP System trekking pole is quite unique, it is an adjustable carbon fiber pole that quickly deploys into an elk decoy; just the ticket for elk hunters!

PM me for Bowsiter discounts.

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

03-Jun-13
IMO, poles are for steep shale hill sides and heavy wt carrying. Helpful for packing out meat and packing in gear, especially if there's any snow.

I'll never use 2 poles while hunting unless it's sheep/goat; I want to have my bow in my hand.

Personally, I don't understand why people actively hunt with a lot of wt on their back. It wears you out and makes you hot, awkward, and louder.

I get to where I'm going and then drop my crap and carry only food, water, light emergency gear, head light, and knife/saw/game bags. Bivy stuff is never more than 1 to 2 miles away which is usually a 30 minute walk at most.

If you're hiking more than 5 miles in one direction, IMO, you should be moving your bivy and possibly your spike, but still dropping it once you're hunting.

I imagine one could go more than 5 miles without running into elk, but I bet you've also walked past a bunch. But if that's the case, it's time to move camp IMO.

I like to hunt 1/2 to 3 miles from spike, but if it's 2+ and I have a general destination, I stash my stuff.

03-Jun-13
Yes, I have used them. It depends on the terrain where I'm hunting. If it's steep, rocky, and a lot of off trail navigation I think they are an absolute must for packing out meat.

03-Jun-13
They are great for anyone with bad knees for even the general trail walking in the mountains. With 2 knee replacements, they are a must for me and I wish I had been using them the last 10 years before the replacements. I have a pair of carbon telescoping poles for every hike, mountains or not.

03-Jun-13
I keep a pair in my truck along with my meat-hauling pack. The sticks take about 15# off your back, and prevent twisted ankles and backward falls when carrying those 70+ pound loads of elk meat.

04-Jun-13
Poles for packing camp in or especially heavy loads out.... yes, very helpful. I've even cut a staff to help out a few times.

For hunting.... no. I wouldn't take them unless you were in some real crazy places.

04-Jun-13
I have my pair on my pack out frame for after the harvest and big loads coming off the mountain.

I never use them for actual hunting (elk, muleys, sheep/Mnt.Goats) basically for balance help on packing meat out.

You can't go wrong with having a pair with you, that is for sure.

Good luck, Robb

04-Jun-13
I always have a pair with me. Use one or two for meat packing...two in bad terrain. Sometimes use a single pole during the hunt just for additional stability in steep descents, stream crossings, side-hills, etc. One very useful tool for the money. I'm using the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shock.

04-Jun-13
I usually have one, sometimes two on my pack depending on terrain, in case I want them, but never actively hunt while using them. Leki also has a camera mount available to use one as a monopod, which I like to have handy.

04-Jun-13
I don't use them for hunting, but they come in handy for pack outs with heavy loads. If you are doing a back country hunt trekking poles are a must in my opinion.

04-Jun-13
I've been using them for a few years and they certainly are a big help. When we packed my bull out two years ago I let my buddy use one of mine and after that he was hooked said he would never go again without having his own.

04-Jun-13
Hey Jeff, any coupons available for the slip system??

thanks

04-Jun-13
Black Diamond's Z-Poles are a nice packable option for those of us who only use trekking poles for the load-out.

04-Jun-13

GannettRidge 's Link
Trekking poles can be great for hunting the back country especially when hauling heavy loads out or navigating nasty steep country. And they are amazing if there is snow on the ground.

For those that use trekking poles Big Agnes just came out with a very cool tent that weights in at 1lb 9oz. and uses your poles for support. Every bit as light as a bivy sack for a 2 person 3 season tent.

Also remember Bowsite members get 5% off when they use GRbowsite5% at check out.

Attached is a link to the tent.

04-Jun-13
That tent is so cool!

Crap, I thought I had everything, now I have something else I want to buy!

04-Jun-13
Having had to use my rifle as a trekking pole years ago when I messed up my knee, I am astonished that more people don't use them. For steep sidehilling I consider them absolutely essential, and help a ton on steep up and downhills. Plus packing major weight out they are an insurance policy against blowing out your knee.

That being said, there are times when I stow mine to keep both hands free. Any pole is better than none. Like the handle shock absorber.

04-Jun-13
All right,I've been meaning to get a good set and this thread got me going.I just ordered a pair of Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock Trekking poles from Amazon,$112.67,free shipping.I also got their camera adapter.I think they will work well for what I need.

That Big Agnes tent also looks really good.

04-Jun-13
I walked 500 miles across northern Spain (Camino de Santiago)using trekking poles. On several sections of that trek I tried not using them. It became clear that with the poles I was faster, more stable and had significantly less pain at the end of the day. It does take some getting used to, however, once you use them you'll probably never hike/hunt without them again.

BTW, That tent looks promising. Time will tell, however, I have concerns as to the venting being sufficient to vent the moisture...I think its gonna rain inside the tent. Would love to hear firsthand experiences.

04-Jun-13

elkmtngear's Link
ohiohunter, PM Sent

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

04-Jun-13
This is what I love about BOWSITE!

Thanks for all of the input. I hadn't considered the new tent from Big Agnes. I was about to get a Fly Creek 2 but the Scout 2 has advantages.

Fly Creek: 2 lb - 7 oz (trail weight plus footprint) Scout: 2 lb - 14 oz (trail weight plus footprint plus a pound for poles)

Fly Creek: about $360 Scout: about $260 plus $100 for poles

For only about 7 ounces more I can carry trekking poles and the price would be the same.

Thank You for the great ideas!

04-Jun-13
I always have my poles when hunting. I can move much faster with them and I am alone so I have less chance of injury from falling. They also make going up and down hills easier.

04-Jun-13
I use trekking poles quite a bit on my back country expeditions.

04-Jun-13
Since I carry trekking poles anyway I got a tent that uses them as the tent poles but it is a 1 man.

04-Jun-13
What tent is that muleyfever? Do you like it?

05-Jun-13
Tarptent. I have 2 and like them both.

07-Jun-13
If you're a solo hunter, you may want to take a look at the Six Moons Designs Skyscape solo. Mine is made of silnylon and weighs 24oz total. The Cuben version weighs 15 oz. Mine has been in driven rain and has never been wet inside.

07-Jun-13
Thank you Jeff

09-Jun-13
I have been using poles since they first came out, and have been laughed at a few times. And prior to that a nice young dried out log pole pine makes a great trekking pole especially if you are in flatter country where you don't need them until you are packing out the spoils!

Chris

09-Jun-13
Muleyfever mentioned Tarptents, they are realy cool and have several models and sizes. Next year I'll be upgrading to a Tarptent and trekking poles...

10-Jun-13
It is of my own experience on a Alaska Goat hunt that with grade changes you have to adjust the length of pole , The screw type LEKE are a major pain and malfunction at times. Choose the Clamp style if your going on any extreme mountain Hunts !

10-Jun-13
Use them plenty before going on a hunt. Know the preferred length settings for you, and be sure to either memorize it, or mark it on the pole for quick adjustment.

Also, I've seen a telescoping pole get stuck and inoperable. The tolerances are close, and I suspect a bit of fine sand or silt was all it took to bind the 2 sections. My suggestion is to clean them up after returning from a hunt, and be sure to lubricate them with something like silicone or other non-oily lube.

23-Jun-13
Very interested in this tent, just what I am looking for, the coupon code doesn't seem to work for me though.

Quote "Also remember Bowsite members get 5% off when they use GRbowsite5% at check out.'

23-Jun-13
Trekking poles can be a lifesaver when packing game/camp in steep, rough terrain. You'll likely have plenty to lug around without poles while hunting...bow, binos, and other gear? Poles are also mighty noisy and you may not get within 2 miles of elk if they hear the clanging on rocks, brush, etc!

I've heard great reviews for the tarptents! I often use the fly off my 4 season tent plus a footprint when the weather is decent. It weighs less than 2 lbs, is huge for me plus my gear, and is bomberproof!

23-Jun-13
Forgot to mention that Sierra Trading often has great deals on brand name trekking poles. There often is 25 to 45% coupons off their already great prices.

• Sitka Gear