Teeton 28-Sep-16
Charlie Rehor 29-Sep-16
Buck Watcher 29-Sep-16
Capra 29-Sep-16
Teeton 29-Sep-16
XMan 29-Sep-16
Buck Watcher 30-Sep-16
04-Sep-13
An Iowa hunter who leaves up his gorilla stands all season got quite the surprise when one of his cables broke. He contacted Gorilla and they told him continued exposure to rain will cause the cables to rust quickly at the crimp as it holds water longer. Anyway they recommend the cables get changed out every 3-4 years. Here is the email they sent. I did some searching and this is far more common that I thought.

"Thank you for contacting Gorilla Treestands. You can purchase replacement cables from us directly. The easiest way to do this is to call us at 877-685-7817 with your credit card information and we can process your order. To be sure we are sending the correct size cables it is best to measure your platform and have that information when you call. The cables are $7.95 per set plus shipping. You can call us weekdays 8am-5pm Eastern. Any of our customer service reps can take your order at that time. We do recommend you replace cables at least every 3 years."

I ordered five this week,taking no chances on such a cheap fix.l

28-Sep-16

28-Sep-16

28-Sep-16
Lol, had one break last night on my Gorilla. I have been replacing mine with chains .

28-Sep-16
Lol, had one break last night on my Gorilla. I have been replacing mine with chains . Well I just saw the post was from 2013 .

28-Sep-16

28-Sep-16

28-Sep-16
I suspect that Gorilla is out of the tree stand business due to liability issues. I have one and it won't be used until I make new cables. I will use stainless steel cable and bronze connectors. I tensile tested my cables and connectors. The average failure was 2500#. I should be fine. If you have a boat supply store you can probably get cables made. Expect to pay more than $ 7.99

28-Sep-16
2013 yr

28-Sep-16
That cable also rusts like crazy under the plastic coating.I will never own another treestand with plastic coated cables.I do like the Gorillas otherwise.

When I cut the plastic off my cables,long after they had been home,they were soaking wet inside and badly corroded.

28-Sep-16
I have a few stands that are 20 plus years old never leave them out from season to season. When I replace cable it's with chain. Easy and cheap.

29-Sep-16
We did a thread last year about this problem and although a serious problem for Gorilla's it extends to all tree stands and climbing sticks. Inspect them every year and replace as needed but also add the life lines as a back up. Safety always! C

29-Sep-16
I have 5 hangons. I replaced ALL they cables this summer with chain.

29-Sep-16
Does anyone know how long the replacement Cable/Chain needs to be ?

I have a couple of Gorillas out there that probably need to be replaced given this information.

29-Sep-16
As for my chain. I think that chain out weathers cables 5 to 1. I trust a weathered chain over a weathered cable. I think cable is used over chain, as if you have the tools to cut and swage cable it's cheaper. 2, cable can be camoed easier than chain. 3, cable is lighter than chain.. If ur worried about deer seeing your chain. After putting your stand up. just cover it with a piece of gray cloth duck tape. Also with chair you can stick tree limbs in it if you want. Can't do that with cable. Which to me hides it from people more than deer.

I use 3/16 chain that has a break stent 800lbs with the 2 that's 1600 lbs. I'm not that heavy.

Capra, just measure the cable length and get chain one link longer. You may not use that last link. But if you do you got it. If not just leave it or cut off with hacksaw.

Ed

29-Sep-16

XMan's Link
HA! I can't believe this came up from three years ago.

Here is a new source for gorilla cables! Enjoy!

Just make sure you measure the old cables and match up the new cables for your order.

or go with chain and new bolts with washers.

XMan

30-Sep-16
I took off a cable and took to Home Depot. I had them cut me each piece of chain. Under 5' for each stand. Original bolts worked fine but I added a nylon washer.

• Sitka Gear