Rick M 07-Oct-14
mnbowhunter 07-Oct-14
stick slinger 07-Oct-14
Kdog 07-Oct-14
spike buck 07-Oct-14
killinstuff 07-Oct-14
MooseMan 03-Aug-15
06-Jan-14
I am going to book a hunt for this fall.I have narrowed it down to 4 outfitters. I can do a fly in 7 day hunt or a drive in camp and hunt almost double the days for equal money. More days in the bush may help tip the odds in our favor. I am leaning towards the drive in hunt.Fly in may be less pressure? I know from hunting elk that you always wish you had more time.What would you do?

06-Jan-14
don't have anywhere near enough info on the difference between the success rates in the areas, hunting pressure on the drive in (there are very accessible drive ins and there are long arduous drive ins) etc. but a 2;1 time in field advanatage is material if the area quality is somewhat close.

06-Jan-14
I Agree with Bou' You would get more and better feedback if you put out the options that you are looking at. It may not all be reliable info, but I am sure that there would be some better advice if you gave more detail. Some fly-ins are a bust and some drive-ins are excellent.

06-Jan-14
Also add what your goals are - any Moose or a 40" min, etc.

06-Jan-14
I'll use 1000 Lakes Outposts for an example... I'd imagine Dwayne's outfit is one of your considerations. In that case there are logging roads everywhere. Miles of them. You can use a 4 wheeler to get to places with less pressure just like you would an airplane. In that case I'd do the drive in and have time on my side.

"I know from hunting elk that you always wish you had more time" I think you may have answered your own question right there.

Wherever you end up.... have a great hunt!

06-Jan-14
The drive in hunt old be with Dwayne at Thousand Lakes Outposts. I talked with him on the phone and was impressed with his candidness about what to expect.Everything I have ever read about his outfit has been positive. The other hunt takes place with Kashibowie Outfitters and is the fly in hunt for 7 days. They seem like another top notch operation.Again , all positive reports for him too. I am not interested in a huge moose since I have never taken one before. Any adult moose will do. With both of these guys I am sure I would have the time of my life. Bottom line is I want the best chance I can get for the money.I hope to decide soon and get the ball rolling. Marc

06-Jan-14
I will say this - drive in hunts vs. true fly in hunts where no one ( or very few can go) are usually night and day.

I have done both in NF (rifle not bow)and I tagged out on day 1 after spotting multiple moose the first hour of glassing in my fly in hunt (no one can get to these camps except by plane/helicopter). I saw well over 50 moose that trip and I wasn't even really looking for them very hard since I tagged out early.

The drive in hunt. I didn't see a moose and a total of 3 moose were seen the entire week - temps were warm for 3 of the 6 days. I could have stayed there for 2 weeks and probably seen a moose or two. This was with a reputable outfitter who I really liked.

Is Ontario the same? Maybe, maybe not.

I would ask, "With all things being normal, how many moose should I see on my trip?"

Based on that answer and talking to others you should be able to know which will offer you the best oppt's.

I'd avoid anyone who says, "Well, this is hunting." That's usually a red flag for me. Not because it's not true but because they don't have confidence in the number of animals they hunt.

Either way, good luck! Hunting moose is fun!

06-Jan-14
And Dwayne flies a lot. He flies for a living for the OPP as well. When he bought the business the repeat hunters were happy. He told them he was going to relocate camps and they were worried. he said he saw way more moose in other places. As soon as he took over they were way happier.

If you do the drive in just make sure you have 4 wheelers. At this point I think I'd listen to the post above and come up with a new list of questions for Dwayne. He's an honest guy so listen carefully to the answers. But I still like the idea of having more time myself.

I know nothing about Kashibowie Outfitters so I can't recommend one over the other. I guess I haven't really helped you much then have I? LOL

06-Jan-14
Doesn't 1000 lakes offer fly in hunts anymore???If it were me, I'd do the fly in and ask to stay in the tent camp when your done if you have a tag still.I can't see how that would be a problem and you get the best of both worlds.Doesn't hurt to ask;thats what my mom taught me I think anywhere in Ontario you better be prepared to hunt hard/smart.if you just want a moose I think you'd be better going to NF for basically same money but way better odds.I've been researching and decided on Alaska diy hunt.My other choices were fly in in NF or 1000 Lakes. My research in NF also showed the little extra for a fly-in hunt was money well spent.Think the same would hold true in Ontario.Also, ask for a list of unsuccessful hunters from past 2 years.Call EVERYONE on that list.You can learn a lot more from unsuccessful guys.Of course a few will think the guy was suppose to walk the moose up to them.But,most real hunters will give a realistic view of what to expect.The more that say they'd do it again with that outfit the quicker I'd get to writing the deposit With that said, I haven't heard a bad review from 1000Lakes yet

06-Jan-14
Solid advice from Mixed Bag! I forgot about Dwayne's fly ins. But I guess once you look at the cost it gets hard and even confusing not to look at more remote places. Yeah... a real monster in Ontario is like hitting the Powerball but have you seen some of the monsters coming from the Thunder Bay area in the past couple years? There's always the chance.

I'm with Mixed... ask Dwayne what he can can do for you if you don't connect on the fly in. Since you live in Wisconsin it sure would be cheap and convenient getting there and back with all of your stuff and a moose.

06-Jan-14

sbschindler's embedded Photo

sbschindler's Link
Keep in mind Ontario has 2 different moose, yes both are Canadian but the northwestern moose are much bigger, the only moose that are bigger are the Alaskan, west central and eastern Ontario have the smaller Canadian moose. this is a Northwestern Ontario Moose,

07-Jan-14
Absolutely Steve! Moose from places like BC are as good as.... Alaska Yukon gold!

07-Jan-14

Mule Power's Link
Such as these on this old Bowsite thread! Shawn of Coal River is a good friend of mine. He offers fly in, horseback, or Argo hunts. Awesome bulls in NW Canada.

08-Jan-14

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Not that aren't a few true giant walking around in northwest Ontario. This is a dandy bull. I couldn't find the picture of the MONSTER shot a few years back. You would have thought it was from Alaska or the Yukon for sure. Dwayne has racks from a couple 60 inchers that are VERY impressive. No doubt the genetics are there. Bulls like this just aren't as common as they are in the western provinces.

Can you tell this thread interests me? Like mixed bag... I am DYING to do a moose hunt. Let us know what you decide.

08-Jan-14
sbschindler I have never heard that ontario has 2 different species of moose. My friend took this last September in West Central Ontario. New #1 Ontario record archery! Scroll down, you'll see the full story link http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/bear-moose-and-caribou-hunting/canada-moose-cool-story-and-pics/

08-Jan-14

08-Jan-14

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo

08-Jan-14
Well,I just got off the phone with Duwayne from Thousand Lakes Outpost and finalized the hunt for this fall. I will be in one of the drive in camps on the opener and hunting for two weeks. This is really my dream hunt and I am sure I will love every bit of it. Is it September yet?

08-Jan-14
abschindler, I'm with skull. I live in NW Ontario and never heard of such a thing!!!

09-Jan-14
Skull, where is that bull from?

Good for you Mark!!! Am I losing it.... I'm almost excited as you to know you booked the hunt. Seriously.. That's how bad I'm DYING to do a moose hunt. Hunting is hunting but remember every day when you wake up: Dwayne has his act together. You will be in good moose country even though they can be like ghosts. Weather is always a factor so having lots of time is awesome. Tell him Joe from Indian Summer Outfitters said hi if you remember. And I'll be counting down the days until we see your report.

Have a great hunt!!!!!!!!!!

09-Jan-14
Hello Mule Power This moose was killed West Central Ontario

09-Jan-14
Hi Mark: I also hunted with Duwayne in 2012 and let me tell you it was not a disappointment. He has a top notch guides as well as great camps. We had a drive in camp, and took our wheelers, where there a thousands of back country roads to go to. My partner and I both got nice bulls, biggest was 46in. Great guys to know, and they try very hard to get you filled out. Any questions let me know. jerbear.

09-Jan-14
Thanks skull. Man... that's a freakin' dandy. I think any one of us would be happy to arrow that bull in Alaska.

wah wah... I wanna go moose huntin'!

09-Jan-14

Its True about Ontario having 2 different classifications of Canadian Moose. Western Alces alces andersoni and Eastern Alces alces andersoni

google it up and you will find the exact line running north and south in the western third of Ontario the dividing line between western andersoni and eastern andersoni moose here is a map that shows the line but it is not detailed to show where at in Ontario but it is in the western 1/3 of Ontario

09-Jan-14

Mountain.Blade's embedded Photo
Mountain.Blade's embedded Photo

09-Jan-14
I thought this was a bear thread LOL. My bad !

09-Jan-14

sbschindler's Link
here is some more info on the 2 different moose in Ontario see link

09-Jan-14
sbschindler, quite interesting.

10-Jan-14
It really don't mean much other than the western moose are bigger than the eastern moose.

10-Jan-14
http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/pics/00small12013060.JPG

Quite amazing how the subspecies of moose respect the Yukon/Alaska border. lol

10-Jan-14
did you see if you could do the fly in hunt ahead of the road camp hunt???I'd book that hunt if I could experience both worlds.i'd do the fly in first and if I had my tag try and fill in the road camps just wondering if he was agreeable to this???

10-Jan-14
I didn't ask. His fly Inn hunts are booked for a few years out . Maybe if you booked far enough in advance he would do that.

11-Jan-14
Wow, that says something right there.I can't wait to hear how you do.This is a trip I've been on the fence for for 3-4 years.I had Alaska planned for this Sept. but my partner just had shoulder surgery.We figured it best to wait a year when he will be 100% This year I'm leaning toward a blacktail hunt to work on my deer slam.But, I'm addicted to hunting elk so its a tough decision

11-Jan-14
Mixed if I can get my act together we may be doing that hunt together buddy. It's more a matter of time than money.

11-Jan-14
If the option is the last week or September 0r the second week of October, which is more likely to catch the Moose rut?

11-Jan-14
I'd go with the last week of Sept. lots of moose killed on the 26th and 27th of Sept.

11-Jan-14
I'd listen to sbschindler

About a lot of things, not just moose huntin'!:-)

02-Mar-14

MooseMan's Link
thanks for all the kind words, we always have a great time moose hunting. One of the guys last year had a bull sniff his arm before walking past, he did get it, but he's still shaking!!

03-Mar-14
Dwane! Where the hell have you been hiding? Long time no see. Did Scott (Mixed Bag) get in touch with you about a hunt this year? He's been trying to see what you might have open.

03-Mar-14
We moved to a new place north of town so I've been busy as hell unpacking a 40 foot truck trailer, and thats just the garage stuff!!

03-Mar-14
We moved to a new place north of town so I've been busy as hell unpacking a 40 foot truck trailer, and thats just the garage stuff!!

04-Mar-14
I have bowhunted NW Ont for over 20 yrs.I know of 2 bulls taken in the Ignace area that measured over 60in.No I didn't see those racks but I did talk to the hunter that took one of them with a crossbow. This man was a retired school teacher and teachers never lie! He said there were two bulls there and he wanted the small one for meat but could'nt get a shot at it so he took the big one.

04-Mar-14
What I love about Canadians is that they don't want to shoot the big ones.

03-May-14

MooseMan's Link
I'm looking forward to the hunt already, I should have my own resident tag this year. I will be hunting in the same camp as Marc W, it's going to be alot of fun. I'm going to take Marc to a spot we've killed moose in pretty much every year we have hunted it. I love calling in those bulls!!

04-May-14
No no.... Save that spot for me man!

10-Sep-14
Only a week to go before I leave. Talked to Dwayne today and went over some last minute things. The weather is cold there and I hope that it continues. Anyone who has last minute tips on gear and tactics please post. I will try to do a mobile hunt the best I can depending on phone reception. Wish me luck.

11-Sep-14
Don't forget to get a case of Labatt's and have fun! I wish I was up there again, nothing I love more than moose hunting in Ontario. Oh...and don't forget to pack some grouse arrows! They are dumb and delicious up there.

11-Sep-14
Good Luck and keep us updated.

11-Sep-14
There's a bumper crop of DUMB ruffed grouse this year. Worth the cost of a small game tag.

12-Sep-14

Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Marc W.'s embedded Photo
I wish I could take me English setter along.He loves dumb grouse.

12-Sep-14
Good Luck!

12-Sep-14
Be prepared for bugs. We hunted with Dwayne in 2012 and had temps from 30 degrees to 75 degrees. On the warm days the bugs were terrible. Wish I would have brought a mosquito head net. Other than that, have an awesome hunt.

21-Sep-14
DEET, thermacell?

Good luck!

Mark

21-Sep-14
Blackflys are bad right now.

05-Oct-14
Can't start a thread without an end to the story? Good, bad?

05-Oct-14
I think he still hunting. Can't wait to see I've been thinking on a hunt with thousand lakes the last 2 yrs

07-Oct-14

Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Just got back from the hunt. Awesome to say the least. Saw 8 different bulls. Had a nock break on a 50 inch bull at 8 yards standing broadside. Arrow went 5 feet over and way right. Don't want to talk about that. Shot this bull the last morning at 56 yards. Complete pass through. Went 80 and piled up.cant say enough about Dwayne and the other guys.Best trip of my life.

07-Oct-14

Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Couple more pictures.

07-Oct-14

Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Couple more pictures.

07-Oct-14
Congrats, Marc. I'd love more details.

Moose is a hunt I'd like to host my son on sometime in a few years.

Being about to get the meat home would be more important than antler size for us. :-)

07-Oct-14
That should be some good eating. Congrats on a great hunt.

07-Oct-14
Congrats marc

07-Oct-14
Very Nice, well done

07-Oct-14
Way to go Marc, very nice bull!

07-Oct-14
Congratulations to you and and your guide Dwayne!!

07-Oct-14
Nice.

03-Aug-15

MooseMan's Link
I have a cancelation and have two archery bull tags available for this fall, sept 2015. It's for a drive in archery hunt at a good rate. You can hunt up to 14 days at no extra cost. Feel free to talk to Marc W. About the quality bulls we call in. It's a fun hunt in a nice camp. Guides are available.

• Sitka Gear