bb 29-Mar-15
dent_murphy 29-Mar-15
PAstringking 29-Mar-15
Kdog 01-Apr-15
kota-man 01-Apr-15
st8tman 02-Apr-15
scndwfstlhntng 09-Apr-15
11-Jan-14
I'm wanting to do a Newfoundland moose hunt in 2015 and I'm considering Moose Valley for my outfitter. I'd like to hear from anyone who has hunted with them and what the likelihood of getting it done with the bow is.

The other outfits I'm considering are Ironbound and Grey River Lodge. Any info that can be shared on these guys would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

11-Jan-14
I hunted with MVO in October 2010 with a rifle. The hunt was everything Dean said it would be. I had a blast. My buddy and I hunted Bear Pond camp. I should have take my bow, my guide Ivan called my bull in to 25 yards the first day of the hunt. My bull was 41 1/2" 11 point not a monster but a good representative of the area. I did see a couple of larger bulls later in the week. If you go to the moose page on this site and go to moose videos you can see the video of my bull. I know bou bound and aubs8 has also hunted with them.

11-Jan-14
Six times. Have taken moose caribou and bear with them. I will pm you details. It is a true wilderness experience. Not logging roads, no atvs no trucks. Not easy with a bow. Great place great operation great people

11-Jan-14
Would love to try it in 2015 or 16. When is the best time for moose? Combo?

12-Jan-14
I was their first bowhunter in 1997. I shot a small bull with my longbow at 15 yards about Oct 6.

12-Jan-14
I'm not familiar with the others. I have been to MVO twice and am considering going again with my daughter. I highly recommend Dean.

Take care. Mike

12-Jan-14
I went in 2012. Great outfit. Tough week of hunting but I did score on the last day. Newfoundland is an awesome place!

12-Jan-14
MVO has a great reputation and I've never heard a bad thing about them.

I hunted Ironbound and loved my hunt. The average hunter (usually gun but but as week) rarely makes it past day 3 on their hunts. Their area has tons of moose. If you are strictly a bow only you have to hit the rut as the terrain can make S&S difficult for bowhunters.

I'm heading out the door and can elaborate if you would like.

I don't think you can go wrong with either outfit.

13-Jan-14
Thanks for all of the replys - I appreciate it guys.

29-Mar-15
Anyone have any thoughts on MV in terms of their archery caribou hunts?

29-Mar-15
Nick I have taken three with them but they were taken in 2001 2002 and 2004 before the population decline

29-Mar-15
If you are inclined to hunt Caribou there, now would be the time to do it. The population is down but I have seen some incredible antlers in the last few years. I don't know exactly where they hunt Caribou but I have a good idea and it's a good area for them. If they have tags available and you're inclined to go, I would jump on it.

29-Mar-15
I've hunted both Moose and Caribou with MVO. Great outfit, great people, tons of moose. I, like 'bou, hunted caribou in the early 2000's and had no problem shooting a caribou and moose with bow.

29-Mar-15
I booked a 2016 hunt with MVO ...dean in a stand up guy and pleaure to work with. I am taking my father with me ...I can't wait.

29-Mar-15
Currently There are only 10% of the tags that were available in 2006 and they are spread out over certain areas of the Island. All remaining tags cost a lot ($7k) but not all tags are in good areas. Find out where the big stags are being killed and get a tag for those areas only. This is a tricky one but worth the homework!

bb is correct that the few they are killing are absolute Giants! The second longest standing P&Y Record of the 29 species is the Woodland Caribou set in 1966. This recording period could have a stag that beats that Record by a significant margin! Last convention all stags invited to panel were well above historic averages! C

29-Mar-15
One of the most regal and majestic critters...a Woodland stag!

Mark

29-Mar-15
If I'm seeing the correct Bear Pond on Google Earth, I would think thats where they would have you hunting Caribou out of. It's on the Buchans Plateau. I would hunt that, The Buchans Plateau is a good area for Caribou

29-Mar-15
I hunted Island Pond with MVO this past September for moose and caribou. We had crazy wind and rain nearly our whole week of hunting which really shut the moose down. I didn't have a shot opportunity on moose with my bow but I truly believe that wouldn't be an issue if I hunted there again and had a normal week of fall weather. I think getting it done with the bow is definitely do-able. Like others have mentioned caribou numbers are down but if you can find them there are some giants. I shot the only stag I saw on the second to last day of my hunt with a rifle. The things being said about Dean are all spot on. He's a great outfitter!!

29-Mar-15

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
Here's my MVO woodland bou from last year...

01-Apr-15
Very nice PA! Anyone ever do the combo hunt with them for Bou and Moose?

01-Apr-15
I have...Took one of each.

02-Apr-15
I will begin this response by stating.....I HAVE NEVER HUNTED WITH DEAN. Having said that, I used to subscribe to "The Hunting Report", a paid service that covers hunting operations across the entire globe. Although I sincerely enjoyed reading the reviews, more times than not they were from some foreign land hunting some foreign animal I had never heard of. With that said, I recall numerous references to Moose Valley Newfoundland...and the owner/operator Dean. Without question every review was glowing with praise about the entire operation. What really impressed me was folks were unilaterally quick to point out the Honesty and Integrity of Dean. Sometime later I had the opportunity to meet Dean in person at the Harrisburg PA Outdoor Mega show. All I can say is everything I read was spot on.....Humble/Knowledgeable/Friendly-Not Pushy/Someone you would enjoy being around. I pick up a paycheck every two weeks, and the vast majority of my duties are the ability to access people and try determine character/motives etc. MVO-Dean sure made a favorable impression on me in all regards. Best of Luck to You wherever you choose to hunt. Godspeed!

09-Apr-15

scndwfstlhntng's embedded Photo
scndwfstlhntng's embedded Photo
Hunted there much longer ago than I recalled, but in 2005 had a great time despite endless rain. Tagged the moose first or second day, and passed on a big caribou after a wonderful long stalk because of a strong cross wind. I would not hesitate to go again.

• Sitka Gear