Pappy 03-Mar-14
cthunt 04-Mar-14
writer 04-Mar-14
Bowfreak 04-Mar-14
cityhunter 04-Mar-14
King_cop 14-Apr-14
nutritionist 17-Apr-14
28-Jan-14
I have not been out to Bowsite in awhile, but wanted to ask if anyone has had any luck with frost seeding in late Winter/Early Spring. Any advice on what is best to plant for those of you that have done it more than one season? My hunting plots are located in central Indiana about 30 miles south of Indianapolis.

28-Jan-14
I'm assuming that you are talking about clover. A little more info would be helpful. Frost seeding does not work well on most larger seeds. Not sure about chicory, although I would think it would work well for chicory as well.

First, are you going to frost seed into an existing clover plot or ground that has been worked up already? If that is the case, then I would say yes, frost seeding works very well. I would not do it until late Feb. preferribly mid March. The freeze-thaw cycle works the seed into the ground.

If you are looking at attempting to frost seed into soil that hasn't been worked up, I would advise against it. I think you would be better served to wait until spring greenup then spray the plot with glyphosate, (Roundup, etc) wait a couple weeks then work the plot up, cultipack, seed, then cultipack again.

28-Jan-14
Also, there is a lot of good info on the Deerbuilder forum as well.

Good luck!

28-Jan-14
the main thing with frost seeding is getting good seed to soil contact. Shoot me a PM with your email and I can get you more info on the subject.

Ryan

27-Feb-14
weather is in that freeze/thaw cycle right now and talking a chance for rain/snow in the next day or two. Top dressed fertalizer and a blend of three type clover yesterday.

Established clover is starting to show signs of life. Will let you know how it works!

27-Feb-14
Marvin, ours is a little slower in coming here! As soon as the 5 feet of frost comes out of the ground, it should take off, though!;>)

We are still in the freeze/freeze harder cycle!

27-Feb-14
YES!

03-Mar-14
I've had good results in PA frost seeding an existing plot.

04-Mar-14
I have an existing plot i would like to know if it will work if i frost seed over the top of the snow that we have its about 8 inches deep right now or should i wait until it melts down more?

04-Mar-14
It can work on the snow, but it makes it easier for birds to find the seed, if that might be a problem.

I got mine down just before a nice, 4" snow. :-)

04-Mar-14
So did I writer. I still need to lime but my pH is overall pretty good.

04-Mar-14
what about the birds and rodents getting the seed I tried this once and had tons of birds eating my seed..

14-Apr-14
Is anyone in the northeast frost seeding at this time? I have never tried it before but was thinking about doing it. Just got rid of the last of the snow in my fields today up here in Canada.

17-Apr-14
A good amount of acres were frost seeded in south central wisconsin the past 1-2 weeks. I hope to have some pictures of my perennials that i frost seeded. Note we had the perfect late season conditions for frost seeding this year. We had the warm days and cool nights and we also got a 3 inch snowfall one day. Years ago the farmers would be jumping for joy after receiving a late snow. Anyone know why that was? Why is it less of an impact now?

If anyone can answer that little ditty of trivia, and NO no no please don't post if you've attended one of my seminars as that isn't fair.

• Sitka Gear