WoodMoose 27-Sep-14
Fuzzy 29-Sep-14
Ollie 29-Sep-14
Fuzzy 30-Sep-14
Owl 03-Oct-14
Fuzzy 03-Oct-14
bb 04-Oct-14
30-Jan-14
So, after >20 years of "dreaming" of taking a black bear with stickbow, in VA I finally find myself with the time and funds to do a trip to an area where baiting is legal.

You experienced bear-pokers, where shall I go, and why?

30-Jan-14
No idea about Maine, but I have been to Manitoba many times and it is awesome, from the people to the camp life, 4wheeler rides to baits and yes BIG bears.

30-Jan-14
Maine is fall only hunt the hair on the bears you shoot doesn't compare with a spring bear, very short by comparison.

30-Jan-14
Maine has limited hunts on "native" lands in the spring I believe.

30-Jan-14
I would only hunt native lands if were being paid.

30-Jan-14
I am not after hair, you know me Brian, I want a young, fat fall bear to eat, and the experience. I doubt I'd even tan the hide.

30-Jan-14
I figured you'd use the hair to thicken the stew. :) or maybe make some cold weather loin cloths

30-Jan-14
PM SENT

30-Jan-14
Canada. Without question.

30-Jan-14
Lots of bears in Maine. And lots of bear hunters too.

You can certainly fill your tag, and since it appears that you are after meat vs a Trophy, Maine probably represents a really good value.

30-Jan-14
Cecil, all kidding aside, I personally think spring bears taste better as they don't have all of that greasy fat on them and through the meat.

30-Jan-14
Brian, again, I like greasy fat. "you are what you eat" after all ;-)

30-Jan-14
ur killin me :) And here I thought you were trying to regain your girlish figure

30-Jan-14
Fuzzy-why does every one of your posts center around "FOOD":) If I were you I would consider New Brunswick. Lots of bears and big bears.

30-Jan-14
I like food.

30-Jan-14
Can't argue with that.

30-Jan-14
New Brunswick Canada close and lots of bears !

30-Jan-14
From my experience many Canadian outfitters really care nothing about taking the meat. For a meat bear I'd recommend Maine. Lots of blueberries there but due to hunting pressure the bears are probably smaller

30-Jan-14
I would tend to agree some what on the meat. What I find at our camp is, most of our guests prefer to take at least the more choice cuts of meat along with their hide and skull. I like it and gladly package their meat for them. I get those that want every morsel of flesh on the bear, and they are welcome to trim if off. Usually I'm tending to the gusts that have not filled their tag, once morning duties of skinning, meat prep and skull removal are done. Sometimes those that made their kill the night before want to stay back for that morning and remove all the flesh while we're out checking baits. In the early years, I did guide for a couple outfitters that thought saving meat, was a pain. For me, I look at as utilizing more of the animal than we would a deer, where hide, skull and meat are saved and used.

30-Jan-14
Bear track and Crazy 8 thanks for the perspectives. I honestly prefer to do my own butchering anyway.

30-Jan-14
Maine, New Brunswick or Quebec. All are close. All have lots of bears. All are reasonably priced. I make bear brats that are out of this world!

30-Jan-14
99percent of my guys take the meat home, if there is any left I have a couple locals that take the meat I like that. Fall bear would be tastier I think, but the spring I have tried there alright to. Hope you get a tasty one.

30-Jan-14
I hunted for yrs and worked for a bear hunter in Maine Then I started in New Brunswick NO comparrison Go to New Brunswick!!

30-Jan-14
New Brunswick all the way (and I am from Quebec!)

30-Jan-14
You would be better off eating a fall bear (taste) rather than a spring bear - if that is your main consideration.

30-Jan-14
PM Replied

30-Jan-14
Fuzzy, never said what your budget was? Alberta is top on my list, why? two bear limit. More bear for your buck. I've got a friend there in Peace River area, local, outfitter and as hard working as I've ever seen. Services and prices, no one can match. Holler if interested.

31-Jan-14

31-Jan-14
bearbow63, I am looking for best value for the money of course, but I haven't set an upper limit

31-Jan-14
when I say value, I am not gonna spend a premium for a chance at a really big boar, when I am looking to kill a meat bear, I am also looking at peripherals like the natural beauty, fishing opportunities, etc. as far as camp luxury, I am not into "gentleman hunting' but a cot and a pillow and some heat would be nice. Running water a plus.

31-Jan-14
I would agree that if you are looking for a big bear, think of New Brunswick but since you say you want a meat bear, it's Hard to beat Maine for "Value". You can drive there. Reasonable cost to the Hunt, and for licenses. A lot of bears. And a long season. Easy to bring back the meat, and you can even bring a shotgun (or gasp a Handgun) if you desire. You can also hunt deer during a part of the season, and they have Great small game hunting, lots of grouse for example, except they call them "pah-trig". Beautiful state. Great Fishing. And if this means anything to you, your money stays in the US.

31-Jan-14
Ace, my co-worker and I were just discussing the "bring a gun" angle. How about fishing in Maine? Northern Pike? trout? Smallmouth?

31-Jan-14
ruffed grouse are also "pottidge" or "pheasant" in the mountains of SW Virginia, where they are found in "the ivies" (rhododendron thickets ;-)

31-Jan-14
thanks to everyone for the PM's, I promise I will get back to every one of you, and check out your hunts :-)

31-Jan-14
Fuzzy here in Maine the fishing in the northern half of the state is very good. The Saint John River that borders Maine and Canada has excellent Muskie fishing and the surrounding lakes have wonderful brook trout, lake trout and salmon. Friends of mine hunt and take bears then drive over the border and hunt Canada for a second one. You may want to consider that option.

31-Jan-14
What kind of pricing would one expect to encounter in both Maine and NewBrunswick? Is the tag good for multiple bears or one?

If you are going to drive to Maine or New Brunswick, you might as well continue up the road and take the Ferry to Newfoundland and make a real nice vacation of it. Your bear license includes two tags, I would go out on a limb and say that you can kill two bears in Newfoundland for the price of a single in Maine oar NewBrunswick. If you want to do a fall hunt, you have the option of purchasing a moose tag also. It wouldn't be to difficult to kill a nice tender calf moose in the same trip.

31-Jan-14
Ace, My business is in Canada and much of my supplies for my business is purchased in the states. Such as bait, Sport shows, motel rooms, camp supplies and meals while travelling, advertising etc.

31-Jan-14

31-Jan-14
Fuzzy, rates for Bear Hunting in Maine run about $1500-$2000 for a week. Some a little more, and there are possibly some available for less, but I haven't seen those lately.

bb Makes an interesting point about a second bear. That would be possible in Maine if you Hunt one, and Trap another, or possibly hunt Maine and New Hampshire.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the planning, that can be half the fun.

31-Jan-14
GO TO CANADA!!!!

I have 4 friends who have hunted Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Quebec and New Brunswick for bears. Guided/outfitted everywhere but New Hampshire and Vermont. Every one of them said they saw more bears in the Canadian Provinces, and there was less pressure on the bears...thus increasing your shot opportunities. They also said the fishing was better in Canada. My friends also were meat hunters and usually took the first bear they saw but......

One of my friends decided to get picky and hold out on his last New Brunswick hunt before he died....shot his last bear at 85 years old with a 55lb recurve at 15 yards from an elevated stand. that bear squared 7 ft 5 inches and weighed 395 pounds. Incredible.

One thing every one of them said is that they thought that for the money, the hunts in the Canadian Provinces were a much better value. Better accommodations, better food, better fishing, and if you have never been there, much more of an adventure than going on the hunts in Maine. They also said they enjoyed learning about the history, natural history as well as the history of hunting, fishing and trapping in the Canadian Provinces.

I don't know, but it may have been more of an adventure for them because they were all from Vemont. New Hampshire and Maine, even northern Maine were their usual playgrounds, so maybe that is why it was not so much of an adventure for them!

31-Jan-14
keep it coming guys :-)

31-Jan-14
I say you take 2 weeks, hit Maine on the way to NB, catch some fish, maybe kill a bear, then kill a bigger bear in NB. Win-win for everyone and plenty of meat for you.

31-Jan-14
I would go with an outfitter that doesn't take like more than 3-6 hunters a week. As such Manitoba, Bear Track is great, but not on your location list and I really like New Brunswick which I have also hunted. I have looked at Maine but all my research has failed to find a place that only takes a few hunters at a time. Good Luck.

31-Jan-14
Berksarcher, Manitoba is part of Canada, and therefore IS on my "location list" ;-)

31-Jan-14
Uh, I see. I misread title :). Well, you can't go wrong then and in my trips the fishing has always been great in Canada. I am going to talk to a bunch of Maine outfitters on Sunday at the Great American Outdoor Show so if you want you can pm me later and I can tell you what I learned.

01-Feb-14
u can hunt Canada Quebec with a guide !!!

01-Feb-14
I have been told fall bears taste better then spring bear, any truth to this?

01-Feb-14
Went to Manitoba last spring. Never saw so many bears in my life. I had to shooo them off the bait on my way in. Two of us took cinnamons with our trad bows. Another took a 426# chocolate, and the fourth took a blackie. Very "wilderness" stands, great scenery. I was at a beaver pond, and whenever I heard a beaver smack his tail, minutes later a bear would come in.

01-Feb-14
I have always liked spring bears better, dont like all the fat

01-Feb-14

B N A A guy's embedded Photo
B N A A guy's embedded Photo

B N A A guy's Link
Fuzzy, It sounds like you are already off to a good start with lots of detailed information from Bowsiters. This community is definitely well traveled especially with Black Bear hunts. As stated above it is super critical that you do as much homework as possible to find the best possible situation for you.

I am a Bowsite sponsor and would be happy to help you put a quality bowhunt together for Spring Bear or Fall Bear. If you would like yet another spot or two to consider then please feel free to contact me. I have no doubt that we can put you in bowrange of a big pumpkin headed Black Bear.

Wherever you go I wish you the best and hope that you will share your experience and pics on Bowsite with us.

Best regards, Scott Alberda - Bowsite sponsor

Bow and Arrow Adventures

01-Feb-14
New Brunswick. Made the trip from VA a couple times now and I'm planning to go back. One of these years I want to do a fall hunt. I always see moose. It would be cool to see them hard horned. Not sure when their bird season opens in the fall but I saw several grouse I could have popped with my bow if it had been open. Saw some whitetails too. I know we are covered up with them here in VA they have some huge bodies up there. A combo hunt would be nice.

02-Feb-14
Don't waste your time and money on a trip to Maine. Bigger, better bears in Manitoba and Alberta, check the P and Y records. Oh yea, and color phase bears in western Candada.

03-Feb-14
I spoke to 6-9 outfitters today re Maine and I was not impressed. I was hoping to find and outfitter that takes max 6 hunters week but found the closest one to that was 12 and he thought that was giving personal service. Now Maine has high density of bears (37,000) if I recall and NB 17,000. I'm trying to find Maine hunt so I could possibly hunt there on way to NB hunt for like a two week hunt. My one bad experience with a large group of 10 was the outfitter didn't really have any time to spend with the guides he assigned us to and several supposedly active baits were not active as evidenced by the lack of signs and stale trails at the sites. So the # of active bait sites did not support the density of hunters. Anyway just my thoughts, I'm sure if an outfitter has the guides and active bait sites to support that the it should be doable but I haven't seen it be repeatable year to year.

03-Feb-14

03-Feb-14

04-Feb-14
thanks guys :-)

04-Feb-14
I watched a hunting show where they were bear hunting in North Carolina over bait and they were smoking some huge bears. They said its an overlooked bear hunting destination. personally, I went with "Big Paw Outfitters" in Renous, New Brunswick and had a blast. If you're looking for a great hunt at a price that wont break the bank, that's your ticket!

05-Feb-14
An outfitter who is semi- guided can take a few more hunters than a fully guided. Semi guided means drive self to bait, bait own site when hunter goes to sit for the evening. Semi guided can be just as successful as fully guided hunts, with great quality bears. I assume Maine has semi guided hunts. For every hunter who does not like bear hunting in Maine, there are 10 that do. A bear population of 37,000 bears is a lot of bear's for the size of the state.

A semi guided hunt free's up guides to check and re bait standby sites for present hunters and keep baits active for future weeks hunters. Allowing fresh baits for each weeks hunt. Also baiters during a semi guided hunt tracks and retrieve the bear's with the hunters helping out.

A hunter on a semi guided hunt must do some of the work himself with guidance of outfitter. Such as skin own bear or pay the guide to skin and quarter. A semi-guided hunt is not for everyone!!!

Semi guided hunts are a lower priced hunt because of the many reasons mentioned above.

05-Feb-14
Average bear in Maine, as much as I love the place, will be about 150-180 lbs. If that's good for you, then you'll probably save some money going there. You can do a hunt there and back for around $2000-2500.

Bigger bears in Canada, but a much bigger price tag too. Figure an easy $5k

TBB

05-Feb-14

05-Feb-14
TSI, are the outfitters in N.B. allowed to offer semi guided??

05-Feb-14
5K+ is likely a fly in or a long river ride, a back country hunt you aren't going to be driving to.

07-Feb-14
5K for NB is probably not realistic with $1500-$2500 being more in line and I would have to agree with TD on his assessment. TD, I have to say I love when you post that picture of Elio's bear killed with Chase, what a great bear.

07-Apr-14
OK guys, thanks again for ALL the advice, and PM's. This is new experience for me. I decided to go with Dave "Whaler" Evans and Victoria Outfitters in Newfoundland. The deciding factors were as follows:

1) I've met Dave in person. Cool guy.

2) I personally know people who've hunted the outfit and who recommend it.

3) The "adventure factor". I've never been to Newfoundland, or ANYwhere outside the U.S. except The Bahamas. I've been to Maine several times.

4) Fishing. I love fishing.

Things that didn't weigh nearly as heavily:

1) Size of bear. (not gonna mount it, so I don't wanta kill a trophy)

2) Price. (I am not made of money, and I am not saying, "take my wallet, PLEASE!" but I am looking more at what "fits" my goals than what I can do "on the cheap".

3) Accomodations. (I have simple tastes in food and lodging. I spent the past seven years living in a 28' travel trailer, in order to accomplish some financial goals, and it wasn't that bad. I can bunk down simple and eat simple and like it.)

Again, I have recieved some excellent guidance here, and I hope you all will bear with me (pun intended) over the next few months as my excitement about this trip unfolds. I realize it's no shakes as compares to the Pat L and Jake elephant hunt, etc. but it's a big hunt to me.

07-Apr-14
Came to this one late apparently but I would have advised your decision. Most of my hunting has been in Alberta with one specific outfitter for a reason but eating the bear was never a consideration. lol

You know Dave will treat you well and you'll carry a bunch of meat home. Besides, after hearing Brian talk about his excursions, it will be a true adventure rather than just a bear hunt.

07-Apr-14
What excursions might those be? :) Actually Dave is on his way down here as we speak. He was delayed by a week due to the Ferrys being stuck in the ice for a week. He told me they crunched through thick ice for 60 miles crossing to North Sydney and some incredibly rough seas

07-Apr-14
Pick an area with a lot of bears. Easy said but hard to know. On two hunts in New Brunswick I sat in a treestand or groundblind for 9 days and 81 hrs and saw 1 small bear. I switched to Beartrack in Manitoba and shot two, two yes in a row on the first night. I now hunt with another bowsite sponsor outfitter in New Brunswick and we saw 20 bears in two days. I have not hunted Maine so I can't comment except I've heard a lot of horror stories but do plan on hunting there some day. Consider going with a proven bowsite sponsor and I think your odds woul be improved. Also, be aware some outfitters are primarily setup for gun but will tell you otherwise. Bear Track is definitely setup for archery and so is Trophy Hunter Outfitters. First outfitter in NB was not, although he said he was, found out after the fact.

08-Apr-14
A great hunt can be had on both sides of the border,i know plenty of guys that have had great hunts in Maine and bad hunts,i also know lots of guys that have had bad hunts north of the border.Their are hundreds if not thousands of bear outfitters to choose from.Being a sponsor does not guarantee the hunt you recieve, nor that the sponsor is legally operateing although in most cases the sponsors make themselves available openly to discuss aspects of the hunt openly on the forums which in many ways offers some comfort to clients.There is alot more to a great hunt than meets the eye,your safety,as well as legality issues cannot be overlooked and its the clients responsibility to varify whether the outitter is licensed,insured and registered as a legal buisness,bowsite is a form of marketing media and cannot validate anyone.If you have concerns,ask the outfitter to provide documentation if they cant than just use common sense.Good luck to all in 2014.

08-Apr-14
Berksarcher, you read my initial post but not my last eh? I do that too often as well. :-)

Thanks for the advice.

08-Apr-14
Sorry about that fuzzy. I'm sure you will have a great hunt in Newfie, great place.

08-Apr-14
No sweat Berksarcher, I was just yankin' ya a little. I do it all the time, then feel foolish after. :-)

08-Apr-14

skinner creek's Link
If you look to try something different then a baited hunt, I have a few weeks to fill up. Two bear area and lots of opportunity. Over 100% success each year. I only take two hunters a week, your own great log cabin and my wifes cooking.

Give ma shout if you would like more info. Doug

09-Apr-14
Doug, I've already booked, but thanks :-)

09-May-14
got my reservations for the ferry, alreay packed most of my gear ;-)

09-May-14
I see some tasty fried Cod tongues in your future! Tell Dave hello!

09-May-14
Bob, I'm looking forward to the fish tonges and flipper-pie! mmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-May-14
Fuzzy, You're in for an extra special treat...I don't serve my specialty, floor crumb bread to just anyone...:)

12-May-14
yum....as long as it's not cream of wheat, or yankee potroast

19-Aug-14
bring this one ttt, for no good reason except that I am so excited I can't stand it, two weeks to go!

19-Aug-14
Good Luck Fuzzy and enjoy the adventure!

20-Aug-14
thanks TMac I will

20-Aug-14
northern ab or sask. coast of bc would be the place if you wanted spot& stalk. i just guided a season up in highlevel. biggest bear was 8' (nose to tail) multiple bears over 7'. every year bears are killed that there front & back feet touch the ground on the front rack of a quad. 3500$ for two bears in ab.

21-Aug-14
Neveragain, thanks :-)

21-Aug-14

ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
ahunter55wife's embedded Photo
I looked but must have missed. Where did you finally book? I've been to Ontario many times (never killed but passed 7 as it's the only thing I ever held out for only a Big one & missed 2)& Quebec (killed a 19" there) & Mn (DIY) years ago (killed a 19" there too). Buddies went to Maine back then & 3 killed 2 Bears with bow. Keep us posted & good luck.

21-Aug-14
ahunter55wife, I booked with Victoria Outfitters (Dave Evans) St Johns, N.F.

there were several deciding factors, the chief of which were/are:

1) I've met Dave E. in person, liked him.

2) I know several hunters, personally, who have hunted there and have had good reports from them.

3) I am fascinated with Newfoundland.

4) Fishing

5) Hunting from stands over bait. We have plenty of bear here, and they are hunted either with hounds, or by the "sit and hope" method. Baiting any game is illegal in Va, so the opportunity to try something new has appeal.

6) #1 thru #4, again :-)

21-Aug-14
Good luck on your hunt Fuzzy! Bring us back a bear, a story, and lots of pictures!

21-Aug-14
Brotsky, hoping for #1, you can count on 2&3!

25-Aug-14
six days and counting

29-Aug-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
OK this will be my last post on Bowsite til I am back from Newfoundland.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who has helped me prepare, mentally and technically, for this adventure.

Good hunting and be safe!

God Bless you all and keep you safe.

Cecil "Fuzzy"

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
getting there fast

22-Sep-14

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
arriving in Newfoundland

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
camp

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
camp

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
my cabin

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
the lodge

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
lodge

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
pretty spot

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
fishing

22-Sep-14
In for the pictures and story, love to see threads like these come together

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
there was a lot of this

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
there were a lot of these

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
landlock salmon

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
landlock salmon

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
moose

23-Sep-14
Great pictures Fuzzy, keep them coming!

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
OK, a brief synopsis:

left home Sept 1 @ 6:00 AM, drove an hour "the wrong way" to drop off Snickers the Wonder Dog at her second home.

Hit I81 @ 7:30 AM, arrived at bb's town in Ct about 6:30 PM. Found bb's house about 7:30 PM (because I can't follow directions or see road signs without my glasses, worth a @#$%)

Stayed up way too late with bb, lookin at elk, moose, and caribou antlers and talking about NF

hit the road about 9:30 AM on Sept 2, border crossing was no sweat at all, drove straight thru, arrived at Cape Breton, NS, about 1:00AM our time, 2:00 AM Atlantic time.....there "was no room at the Inn"

a truck driver, a gas station clerk, and a highway worker took pity on me, found me a motel clerk they could wake up, and get me in a room....no kidding...

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
got up about 7:00 AM.... the folks in the room next to mine were from Roanoke, Virginia (about two hours from where I live, and practically next door to my home town, how odd is that???) I was a day ahead of schedule, and so took it easy on up to North Sydney, about an hour and a half drive, went up to the ferry and cancelled my 9/4 trip, and booked one for that evening (9/3).....killed time at the beach.....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
boarded the ferry.... there was a little misty drizzle and a light chop...I'd lost my berth, but the chairs weren't that bad, tired as I was, I slept well on the midnight to six trip....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
how cool is this....the way we happened to load the ferry, my car was the first one down the ramp, and it was off to Badger.....Port aux Basques is very picturesque, but I was in a hurry to hunt!

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
the trans-Can highway runs along the coast pretty much up til Corner Brook NF, the only good-sized town I saw on the Island....the Table Mountains are awesome.... not terribly high, but stark and stony and steep....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
just looking out the car window was amazingly beautiful

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
this place wasn't open for Breakfast, so I kept cruising...

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
arrived in Badger @ 1:00 PM, about 2:00 PM made contact with Dave, who was by chance out in civilzation with his (sucessful, archery) moose hunter, dropping off the meat at the butcher's, and getting petrol for camp generators... keep in mind, I am there a FULL DAY early.... met them at the gas station in Middleton, about half hourish from Badger....after a long, slow, bumpy ride in the van, over the camp road, we came to the river, and across the river was camp

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
a lot of history here... Badger was a world-famous logging town back in the day...timber was floated ("rafted") down the Exploits river and captured by means of a dam, and boom system.... here's the dam

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
part of the log boom

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
saw caribou one evening, (Tuesday I think, kinda lost track of time) they swam the river behind me and went up the river margin... beavers, eagle, gulls and terns, geese, ducks, pine martens, pine squirrels, "camp robber" jays....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
just didn't see any of these....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Dave was like....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
and given my history of poor luck connecting on bear I was kinda .....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
but then I thought.... given the scenery, the food, the level of service on the part of outfitter and staff, the quality of the accomodations, the remoteness of the area, everything taken together... I was in....

23-Sep-14
and as for an experience, a real outdoor adventure....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
yeah, I am that guy....

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

23-Sep-14
Hey brother, glad you enjoyed yourself and took it all in! Thanks for sharing your experience!

23-Sep-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
No problem Bob... the real take-away from this, is that I am going back, in June '15, with Fuzzy-Jr, to "seal the deal" and maybe get TWO bear skins!

:-)

23-Sep-14
That'll work! Can't wait to see Nick's smiling face behind a nice bear...yours too! :)

23-Sep-14
Does that mean I have to install another bait station out in the yard for your guys?

23-Sep-14
yes Brian, that's what it means ;-)

23-Sep-14
need a 3rd?

25-Sep-14
WoodMoose, hell to the yeah! Let's go! :-)

27-Sep-14
conducting "coordination" now with Boss!!

29-Sep-14
I just emailed my leave request to boss and co-workers.... planning on leaving 6/10, be back 6/24, hunt 6/15 thru 6/20

29-Sep-14
That bear you are posing with is a real hog!

30-Sep-14
lol@ Ollie, that's no bear, that's my son! ;-)

03-Oct-14
Cecil, had to get here through the VA Forum. Better late than never. Looks like a great trip. Going back with your son will be a priceless experience. Dave's place looks as advertised - as does the road trip.

Nick in Governor's school? His momma must be smart. Really smart. ;)

03-Oct-14
Well Randy, of course she is! Evidenced as follows:

#1 She married me!

#2 She divorced me!

;-)

04-Oct-14
LMAO

• Sitka Gear