jdee 17-Feb-16
Dooner 17-Feb-16
'Ike' (Phone) 17-Feb-16
DartonJager 22-Feb-16
TMAN 05-Oct-16
Elkaddict 05-Oct-16
Low flyer 31-May-17
04-Feb-14
While late season hunting this year I slipped on ice and fell but luckily caught myself at arms length before hitting the ground. Unfortunately, it was still too close to the ground and the right objective lens of my Swaro's it a rock. Swarovski is charging me $75 to replace the lens/$150 to replace both. So.... not wanting this to happen again! I am wondering which of the bino case/harnesses you guys thing is the best. The S4 Gear Lockdown is significantly cheaper than the other and the Badlands is most expensive but is it worth the difference in price? Which would you choose, the Badlands, Sitka Gear, Horn Hunter, or S$ Gear Lockdown and why? Thanks!

04-Feb-14
Take a look at the FHF. I have one with the range finder case and bear spray holster. I've tryed the Badlands and don't like it at all to big and bulky The FHF fits up tight no bouncing around. FHFgear.com

04-Feb-14
I'll second the fhf gear Holds binos then I have the rangefinder and gps also attached

04-Feb-14

Mt. man's Link
I have the S4 and like it a lot. As an archer I like it because it holds the glasses tight to your chest when bent over sneaking. I saw a TV show one time with Fred Eichler and he was sneaking along and you could literally watch his bino's bounce off the ground. I have seen a friend sneaking on Antelope with a set of the badlands with the Magnetic flap. He looked at the goat then let the flap slap together when putting the glasses back in and "Busted" Buh Bye Goat.

My vote would be S4 Link attached!

04-Feb-14
KUIU would be my 1st pick. Awesome harness. I've tried them all! FHF would be my second pick. It's is nice too. Just loud for times when it is quiet out and slightly more bulky.

Kuiu one is less bulky and quieter than the FHF and badlands. S4 was my least favorite. Just seemed really "cheap"

04-Feb-14
2nd the KUIU...I do use the FHF rangefinder case attached to the KUIU harness and I like the fact I can use the harness without the case while tree stand hunting.

04-Feb-14
Wow, don't know what rock I have been hiding under but I had no idea there were so many choices! Thanks guys for letting me know about the other options... Or maybe I shouldn't say thanks, now I've get even MORE to sort through!

04-Feb-14
I've got both the KUIU and FHF...They are both great and both work equally well, but I prefer the material on the KUIU. IMO these are the two best options out there.

04-Feb-14
Love the functionality of the FHF, did not like the noise!

04-Feb-14
Agree with SDHNTR. FHF fabric loud, big deal with calm cold days hunting white tails. Has many good qualities. Badlands fits/feels good but has the snap when u close it but otherwise great . S4 ok for smaller units, one I have too small for my zeiss 10x 40. Horn hunter a little cumbersome but protects well, good protection of optics. So far FHF one I use most. My sons use the others. Have had a KUIU on back order for a while. Hope 5th time the charm

04-Feb-14
No one's mentioned the Crooked Horn bino harness and "bino-shield". I've tried the combination and like it.

05-Feb-14

Mule Power's Link
Man there's no option for me other than the Bino-Pouch from Alaska Guide Creations. Stays snug to your chest. Pockets for calls, wind detector, lens cloth. Nice deep "bucket" for my Swaro 10x42 ELs. It's a dream AND... made in the USA which I like. See the link.

05-Feb-14
I like the badlands. Its easy, quick, and secure. I've never found myself looking down and I like the harness. The wide neoprene is nice when a pack is over top of it. Someone said the BL is bulky? If you compare them they are the most slim lined harness out. All the others are "boxes".

I had the crooked horn too but that IMO doesn't compare to the BL in both comfort and quality.

05-Feb-14
Mule, isn't that bino-pouch a bit bulky ... does it obstruct your bow string?

05-Feb-14
x2 for the KUIU. My wife and I both have the KUIU harness and love it!

05-Feb-14
Have run them all and so far the hands down winner for me is the KUIU...lighter, smaller, simpler yet does everything it's supposed too

05-Feb-14
I've owned or used all but two of them mentioned. The KUIU doesn't come in a solid color so I haven't bought one...yet. The Alaska Guide one looks huge and I'm worried about it getting in the way of my bowstring.

Mule or anyone else that uses it, I realize basically everyone I know that has one LOVES it but how is it for Bowhunting? The guys I know that use it are gun hunters.

Been using the FHF and its been superb aside from being a bit noisy in cold temps when silence is key.

If the KUIU came in a solid I'd be sold. It seems simple and effective.

05-Feb-14
I like not having to have my binos fixed to the harness. I've been known to use binos without being strapped to my apparatus.

05-Feb-14
Alaska Guide is like having a Suit Case on your chest. Great service getting my money back. David

06-Feb-14
KUIU for me. Great, simplistic, modular system. I've tried several others but the KUIU wins hands down.

I haven't tried the FHF but a buddy has one and it seems like a great harness also.

06-Feb-14
KUIU should have some in stock now. At least they did just a few days ago.

06-Feb-14
The Alaska Guide pouch is only as big as you binos. Not overly thick or anything. If you were to stuff the front pocket that would make a difference. Yes it's wider than most because of the side pockets. I do like the Badlands BUT.... I want more than just a magnetic closure for the times when I'm on a horse, doing the belly crawl etc when I want a foolproof insurance policy that my Swaro ELs are going to hit the ground or worse... disappear.

06-Feb-14
I own the badlands and I think its better than most. Ive had it for several years and the magnetic closure has never opened prematurely. I also dont think its possible to do that either. It will snap shut if you dont close it by hand which you get use to. It has small bungy type material that you can clip to your binos so they will not fall out if its open. I bought mine when they were half of what they cost now.

06-Feb-14
I own the BL and have used it for 2 years on elk hunts. I'm looking for something else. The closure noise isn't an issue, IMO. I can close it without it snapping shut. Bigger issues for me; a bit bulky, it DOES open prematurely on occasion, which usually is at a sucky time, like running to cut off a bull, or cartwheeling over a deadfall, or semi controlled falling down a mountain in pursuit of a bull....I have discovered my Leicas flopping after/during several of those scenarios.

I like the totally enclosed protection that the BL offers. I don't believe the S4 offers that level of protection and it is not on my radar. The Kuiu looks like it does. For those that have the Kuiu, how quickly does it allow you to deploy the binos? Put them back?

Nick, what's the deal with solid color vs. camo? Are you not a mix/match type guy?

06-Feb-14
No real reason just would like to see them offered in a solid color.

06-Feb-14
KUIU love it

06-Feb-14

Panhandle Bob's Link
ki-ke, this video shows the ease of use and the different attachments. I haven't experienced any difficulties using the pouch while shooting but have really only used it a couple of times in a hunting situation. When tree stand hunting I prefer to use webbing & elastic boot, once in the stand I remove the binos from the boot and let them hang until I'm ready to climb down.

Also, it's not really 100% enclosed, but the way it fits it's pretty close.

11-Feb-14
Bob

Just revisited this thread and saw this. Thanks!

I believe I will buy and try the Kuiu.

Anyone want to buy an experienced BL bino case? : )

19-Feb-14
I really like my S4 gear.

19-Feb-14
Wow, thought Swarovski was lifetime warrantee but are charging you for an accident?

Good to know for I've been debating myself about dropping 2 - 3 grand on a pair for the past couple years, but not no more...

Dropped a pair of Steiners out of a tree a few years back and they hit a tree step on the way down and broke a lens. They replaced them without a whimper...

19-Feb-14
Zbone, I just got an e-mail from Swaro this morning asking me to fill out a satisfaction survey. Told them I was happy with the turn around time and the work that they did but that I was surprised by the price of the repair. I have read many times on this and other forums about how good Swaro was with repairing things for no cost even though their Warranty is for defects in materials or workmanship only. I told them I would keep it in mind in the future. Guess they have changed...

I ended up buying a Kuiu harness and it just arrived yesterday. I have it all rigged up and hope to get out this weekend for a good long hike to try it out.

Thanks everyone for your input!

19-Feb-14
Kuiu harness is nearly perfect. The only tiny change I would have made to it is add a set of top straps for the harness itself. As it is, the only straps for the case are the lower ones around your chest, and it can slide down as you try to put binos back in. A set of static straps over the shoulders laying directly under the shoulder straps attached to the binos would alleviate this problem. Basically just double up the webbing going from the shoulders down to the case.

20-Feb-14
I just posted a review of this over on Rokslide. In summary, I echo Tembry about the KuIu, and the FHF is just plain loud.

20-Feb-14
Bought an S4 and like it a lot. Get the right size. Good range of adjustability. My only complaint is (was) color. Who puts orange on equipment? Improved it with matte green and grey spraypaint. Don't know if bouncing on the ground killed by Zeiss's, but I'm not taking any chances with my Swaros.

16-Feb-16
I've used the Kuiu harness with good success, however need more enclosure for the optics and more pockets.

During a snowstorm last fall, ice/snow got into the bino case.

Called the owner of Alaskan Guide Creations and plan to order the Classic model in True Timber camo pattern. He (Jaret Owens) stated that material is quieter than his other material patterns.

I also want more carrying capability for small stuff I normally carry in a pack.

16-Feb-16
I have only used the Badlands harness, borrowed it for a high country mule deer hunt and really glad I did. Loved how it protected my binos and the added pouch to carry water worked awesome when I dropped my pack to stalk a deer. Waited until black friday and got one for 65$, I really did not want to pay full price.

Gabe

16-Feb-16

Zbone's Link
Ironic this thread reappears... I recently went with http://optechusa.com/straps.html for my optical straps...

Spent over hundred tweny bucks on different setups...

If anyone interested in there 3/8" strapping, I have 3 extensions I did not use I'll part with...

16-Feb-16
Russell X2 on Kuiu.

I love my Kuiu case but had the same issue during a snowstorm last Nov. Snowing fairly hard with a strong wind. My case ended up with quite a bit of snow in it.

I also used it in Alaska last fall on moose hunt. It seemed to collect twigs, leaves & other debris when I was sneaking through the Alders.

16-Feb-16
X2 on the KUIU. I worried about it not being attached at the top, but that has never been an issue for me in the field for over 2 years now. they have not slinked down at all.

I did make 2 modifications to it, one was to sew a little bit on both sides of the cover part so it fit my binos more custom like. This may have helped the lipping down problem, but it definitely helped reduce the number of twigs etc that collected in the cover.

and I added strap for my rangefinder on the sides.

16-Feb-16

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
Crooked horn for me. I don't need a backpack on my chest and want quick access to my binos. I also don't plan on falling on my binos so no need for a suitcase. Ed F

16-Feb-16
I own a couple Crooked Horns and tied about every other kind of setup through the years, but always go back to strap over one shoulder slung down the opposite side to position about the back pocket much like possibles bag of early American pioneers... It was just tough finding straps that long until I found the OP Tech website and their extensions...

16-Feb-16
I use the Bino-Pouch from Alaska Guide Creations. It does not get in the way of my bowstring. It is a little bulky feeling honestly, but in crappy conditions it has worked out way better than the Harnesses, of which I hate to say I've probably tried all of them............................

16-Feb-16
I used Crooked Horn's for years, then bought some S4 Gear Lockdowns. I liked them, but wasn't completely happy with them either. Then I bought the KUIU's. I can honestly say I've bought my last bino harness...they're that good.

16-Feb-16
I've used most of the one's mentioned above, plus a few others. I see a "Bino Harness Review" coming on the horizon. :) Since my response to this thread in '14, I've tried a few others and I have a new favorite...

16-Feb-16
I recently bought both the kuiu and a alaskan guide creations. The alaskan guide creation model totally destroys any and all other bino harnesses on the market, on this planet and any other.

This thing will last 2 lifetimes and completely covers and protects the binos and has a couple of other little pockets that are handy for a whole bunch of things.

16-Feb-16
Yep, can't beat the KUIU best I've ever used.

16-Feb-16
Shaft let my secret out of the bag....

17-Feb-16
Kota do share...

I have the S4 Lockdown, but looking at the AGC's also, see if they've made any changes...Wish Sitka would update theirs, they were on the right track at the time...

17-Feb-16
Ike...I'll put something together in the next week or two with all of the one's I've used on hunts and post a new thread with recap. Off the top of my head, I've used at least 9 different harnesses.

I used the Sitka harness on all of my hunts last year and agree, they are on the right track, but need to "tweak" it.

17-Feb-16
Here are my thoughts on the Kuiu and AGC

I ran the AGC this fall with my 42's

I would buy the bungee closure over the buckle

It is bomb proof as others have said, I carried my leica 1000r range finder in the front pocket archery elk hunting, then tags in the back zipper pocket

i run a small paracord that is tied to the rangefinder and agc so i don't loose it, it long enough so i can easily slide the rangefinder into my pocket as well

extra contacts, eye drops, lip balm, spare knife blades and a little lighter in the left side pocket and then wind check in the other, you can move the wind

it was awesome i had everything i needed if dropped my pack

I really cant complain it is a great piece of gear

I recently picked up a set of 12x50 el's and reluctantly bought a Kuiu to try out as they wouldn't fit in the AGC

the kuiu is very well made, its lighter and lower profile than the AGC but completely sucks for glassing off a tripod in my opinion if you need to remove your binos.

sure you can connect the two buckles but its too tight around your neck and then if you just leave un hooked the straps will eventually fall over your shoulder so your reaching all around to find them

i went as far to buy an extra set of buckles and straps and made a little extension that so I can connect the two shoulder straps when I pull the binos out put its no where near as easy as the AGC. sure it works but you have to pull the adapter out, un do the binos then connect the adapter but at least you aren't going to loose the shoulder straps

has anyone else experienced this frustration?

so while I do like the low profile and simple design of the kuiu, I can see where it would be fantastic for certain applications, if you never glass off a tripod, just go light and fast, if i ran el range etc are some examples where i might run the kuiu

but for a bomb proof versatile system i do prefer the AGC over the Kuiu after running both.

17-Feb-16
The KUIU harness has worked well for me. I don't know that they would keep a binocular from breaking on a rock if I fell on them......they might, can't say I have experienced it though.

17-Feb-16
I've been using a Sitka for.a.while it's OK but I wouldn't buy it again. I sent my Swarovski in for some minor.repair and they came back better than ever. Worth the $1300 I paid for my EL's about 10 years ago !!

17-Feb-16

Dooner's Link
I like the Horn-Hunter's bino case. It's tough, doesn't attract burs, bino deployment is fast, and offers excellent protection. I wanted a bino case that offers maximal protection for crawling on a spot & stalk, and these do a great job. However, I don't use the option for the range finder when hunting because it's not practical when running or belly crawling.

17-Feb-16
Man, not sure what my phone typed up there...lol

Sounds good Kota...

22-Feb-16
Has anyone seen where you can buy the new bino harness I've been seeing in the latest Leica adds? looks BAD A$$!!! Been trying to find it to buy but no success so far.

Anyone have any better luck than I?

05-Oct-16

TMAN's embedded Photo
TMAN's embedded Photo
I bought a set of pack straps to add a strap from the shoulders to the pouch of my kuiu, seems to work well and keeps it from sliding/falling, anyone else tried anything similar or better?

05-Oct-16
I used Crooked Horn for years. Got the Sitka ones this year and love them.

31-May-17
Could we see some more pictures of your modifications TMAN

• Sitka Gear