kota-man 22-Oct-14
huntmaster 22-Oct-14
kota-man 22-Oct-14
wildwilderness 22-Oct-14
TEmbry 23-Oct-14
Kevin Dill 23-Oct-14
02-Mar-14
In preparation for AK 2014:

Looking for opinions on this jacket for a top layer (unless its raining hard then I'll wear my Chugach NX over it).

I usually base layer with Firstlite wool top and bottom (sometimes over a synthetic boxer brief), then a pant/shirt. Then I have a Sitka puffy vest and pant to layer if it gets real cold.

What do you say pro/con?

Thx Bill

02-Mar-14
I uses mine with layering underneath. It does have some water resistance but you'd need a raincoat in a downpour. Make sure you order large enough to allow for the layers you plan. It runs a bit small IMO. I have a super down jacket if it gets really cold

02-Mar-14
I see no advantage to using a soft shell jacket. A good set of merino, preferably two weights and then a puffy and rain shell. The puffy will keep you much warmer than a soft shell and weighs much less. You'll be carrying rain gear anyhow. Good Merino will keep you plenty warm and it dries out quick.

A soft shell jacket is extra weight that is not needed.

I own the guide jacket and several other soft shells, they all sit in my closet.

02-Mar-14
Nick,

Isnt the rain jacket louder than the soft shell?

02-Mar-14
Similar concern as above, my puffy is loud and I was hoping to preserve my rain gear to when I really need it. Appreciate the input of all though.

02-Mar-14
So Nick, does that mean you have a medium or larger guide jacket you want to part with???

02-Mar-14
If I'm wearing the rain jacket, it's raining and I don't really care about noise.

Bill, I've got 4 90% jackets and the guide jacket. I could part with one if you'd like. Guide jacket isn't camo though, not that it matters. I just feel its useless. If you are hiking, merino will keep your body temp perfect. If your stationary, glassing or just sitting around, the puffy will keep you plenty warm.

02-Mar-14
Depends on what type of hunt. Rafting/Horseback/Fly In hunt? Absolutely take it. Guide jacket is MUCH quieter than raingear for bowhunting, and is a lot tougher than just a puffy for walking around/stalking at a pace where you don't work up a sweat.

For a pack in goat/sheep hunt? I could easily see leaving it behind for just a puffy/hardshell. If you aren't going to be backpacking your gear into the mountains, there is no reason not to have a puffy along IMO.

I only wear my raingear in whipping winds or a pretty steady rain due to noise. If it's a light drizzle a softshell does perfect to keep you dry and better yet quiet.

I'll have Guide jacket, two sets of merino baselayers, two pair attack pants, puffy, and rain gear set this fall for my moose hunt...Why not, won't be carrying that weight anyway. Now for the week long backpacking bear hunt before that? Guide jacket is likely staying in the truck.

02-Mar-14
Bill, I was in San Fran last week for business and made the 1 1/2 hour drive to visit Kuiu. Great place and people, spent ours telling stories and trying on everything. I too agree that the guide jacket wouldn't be my choice for AK. I hunted there in 2012 for moose and I believe it may be over kill. You have the Chugach for the rain, layering merino wool and having the super down jacket for underneath would be my suggestion.

Good luck,

DJ

02-Mar-14
Trevor,

One of the few times I'd disagree with you bud. Soft shells are of no use, in my opinion. If you are moving and hiking, the merino layers are perfect and you still may over heat. When you stop, throw on the puffy. If its raining you throw on the rain shell and open the pit zips to continue hiking.

If weight is of no issue, bring it but overall in my experience a soft shell does nothing for me. If I want to warm up, put on a puffy. If I'm hiking and moving, the soft shell will make me over heat but the Merino will keep my body temp perfect while hiking. Hell, while hiking for sheds in the winter in Idaho I'd wear a Llano top, the lightest top First Lite makes and I'd wear it while hiking all day. Get cold, throw on a puffy while I'm sitting still. Start hiking again, take it off.

Bottom line, it all comes down to personal preference and for me a soft shell is not worth the weight for a hunt that requires back packing.

02-Mar-14
Nick, what in the world is a puffy?

02-Mar-14
Lightweight down or synthetic jacket.

02-Mar-14
I'm with Nick on this one. My softshells have stayed home since I got the KUIU Yukon. A "puffy" and the Yukon are all I need in just about any conditions imagineable. I just like not carrying the extra coat.

On Cold weather hunts I actually take an extra "puffy". ONe for under and one for over the Yukon/Chugach.

03-Mar-14

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I like the guide jacket. I say pro. Quieter than the rain jacket. Wear it when it's not too cold by itself or outside with other layers on the inside.

The jacket has a nice hood. Cuts down wind.

If weight is at a minimal than yea leave it behind. But I usually always take mine.

03-Mar-14
i like my guide jacket. just wish hood was removable. i like the old 90% too. new sitka not as good.

03-Mar-14
I only use mine when stalking/hunting. Not while actively hiking. If you are sneaking in the last 800 yards from a glassing point, it is much different than hiking a few miles. I just prefer to have a quiet outer layer in these scenarios. A rain jacket is noticeably loud in a light drizzle, and softshells shine through in such weather.

That said, I leave it when backpacking in. Just a nice luxury when camp isn't being lugged around. I like options. I strip to just pants and base layer top while hiking to a point (be it camp or glassing vantage). I'll then throw on puffy once at the point. Rain jacket on top in strong winds or heavy rain. It's nice to have a softshell for the other times in between.

I'd consider it a luxury more than a necessity, but on fly in stationary camp trips/rafting trips/truck camping/etc...one can afford luxuries.

03-Mar-14
What Nick and Kota said.

I'm in love with the Yukon and the first lite puffy is great gear when not moving, taking a break, glassing or in camp. When moving and working you don't need but a merino or fleece layer or 2 and much colder i go with a vest over that. Breathes well, good mobility but plenty warm even in the teens when moving.

The Yukon shines when wet and/or windy. Or as that final layer over the puffy when the temps drop unexpectedly. Likely I will own no more soft shells.

If you're a rifle hunter late fall early winter it's a different game though.

04-Mar-14
I'll keep using my 90% jacket for my hunts. My puffy wouldn't last 1/4 mile where I hunt and the 90 allows me to keep warm the hour before daybreak. A core and traverse isn't enough.

04-Mar-14
I like the guide jacket for early season hunting. For AK backpack hunt I would leave the guide and take the Yukon + base layers + insulation. It breathes really well, it is not very much louder than guide and will keep you dry. When wearing it, it feels more like a soft shell than it does like rain gear IMO.

04-Mar-14
Just for clarification, what type of hunt will this be?

I'll be backpacking the Talkeetnas for black bear for 6 days and will leave the guide jacket behind.

I'll also be floating a river outside Dillingham for 15 days for moose (partner for moose/brown bear being a resident) and will absolutely have the jacket along. It's perfect for quiet warmth when you don't have to worry about the weight penalty.

Different setups for different styles of hunting. If you will be doing much backpacking at all, I too would forego the softshell for a puffy and hardshell as all the guys above have pointed out.

04-Mar-14

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
I use mine more than any other light outer layer that I have. On my last three early Alaskan hunts I wore it almost everyday. I can't say enough good things about it... Ed F

04-Mar-14
I love my guide jacket, but If I had to make a choice again I would get the KUIU Yukon. That way you dont have to have a jacket and rain shell. Its the best of both worlds. Mu buddy has one. Its warm and not loud like regular rain gear

04-Mar-14
This is a fly in, float hunt with potential stalking opportunities up ridges for feeding bears.

04-Mar-14
I loved my KUIU Guide jacket until I bought a Yukon.... The Yukon breathes so well you can wear it pretty much all the time as an outer layer, it's not much louder than the Guide, and I no longer need to keep a rain jacket rolled up in my pack.

The Guide makes me sweat more than the Yukon when I'm on the move, but the Yukon keeps me warmer than the Guide when it's windy and I'm sitting still, if that makes any sense.

I do believe the Yukon really has made the soft shell pretty much obsolete. With a merino long-sleeve T shirt, down jacket, and Yukon jacket, I'm set for most situations and way lighter weight than 2-3 years ago......

Hope this helps!

05-Mar-14
I love my Kuiu Guide jacket as well.

Bowhunter, that is a beauty of a bull. I need a Yukon moose to add to my Canadian 53" bull. Where did you get him? Congrats!

21-Oct-14

21-Oct-14
I love my Guide jacket but I don't own a Yukon either to compare.I do get cold in it though, but then again I get cold easily. I always carry the Kuiu puffy in my pack.

22-Oct-14
With another fall about in the books, I thought I'd revisit this topic.

I continue to be sold on the KUIU Yukon on back pack hunts where space/weight is at a premium. It simply eliminates one jacket. For me a softshell has NO place on a backpack hunt. A puffy and the YUkon go a long way in about every kind of weather imagineable.

Other hunts, (drive up, horse back etc) I absolutely like to have a softshell along when I can but consider it a "luxury". The KUIU Chinook is slowly finding a permanent spot in the arsenal. The other softshell I am really starting to love is the Sitka Jetstream. For me the KUIU Guide has taken a back seat to these two. With that said, my KUIU Guide jacket is about obsolete for me.

All of this really depends on your intended usage. For AK, I would absolutely take my Yukon and a puffy and be done. I would not haul a softshell AND rain jacket around with me in AK.

22-Oct-14
Kota-man- that's some good input and interesting.

For guys who don't hunt in Alaska. And don't encounter the rain/weather that Alaska has. Would the Chugach/guide combo still be good?

Or you recommend the Yukon for everything?

22-Oct-14
For "Drive Up" hunts and horseback hunts where space/weight is not at a premium, I actually prefer the Guide or Chinook and Chugach combo as it gives me a little more comfort but is a luxury. But, for a backpack hunts, I like eliminating the Softshell and Rain Jacket in lieu of the Yukon. The weight savings isn't huge, but the space savings of hauling a soft shell is a sacrifice I'm willing to make on a backpack hunt.

If I'm not doing backpack hunts in every case, I like to have a softshell. When camp is on my back, the softshell stays home.

22-Oct-14
What are you guys doing for rain pants to round out this combo of gear?

Are you going with just a light weight packable pant like the Chugach or a heavier but more versitlie pant like the Yukon?

It seems to me that you should be able to use the chugach over your main pant most of the time unless you are on a SE AK hunt where it may rain every day.

22-Oct-14
If I'm in a climate that is "rain every day" I wear the Yukon pant all day everyday. Otherwise, I pack the Chugach...Again, depends on the situation.

22-Oct-14
If space/weight is an issue it's always base layer + insulation + waterproof. I haven't had an issue with noise, reminds you go slower!

If you have all the room and weight is not an issue and $ get the whole line of clothing and bring the kitchen sink on your hunt. Sometimes that's really nice to have all the options

23-Oct-14
After another fall with a LOT of days afield already... I do like my guide less. Still like a soft-shell for the reasons I stated, but wish I had one that was thinner. I'm thinking of a simple windproof type pullover to replace the soft-shell for the times a puffy or hardshell are too much or too noisy. Having said that, I wore my Guide Jacket more days than any other garment (minus attack pants and merino tops which were daily for over 6 weeks).

For those with experience with both, whats better/worse about the chinook vs the guide?

23-Oct-14
For a true ultralight backpack in/out hunt I would likely leave the Guide jacket behind. When I can take it, I do and I wear the heck out of it. Given that a simple majority of my hunts are not done that way, my Guide gets a lot of use and is very valuable to me.

TEmbry:

The Chinook is a lighter garment, but has more or less the same basic setup as the Guide. The fabrics differ, and the Chinook has more stretch whereas the Guide has more warmth. The Guide has a hood and the Chinook does not. Chinook has no wrist closures and Guide has good hook/loop tabs to snug down. Both have plenty of pockets. The Chinook costs $10 more than the Guide. For my money choosing between the two would come down to how much warmth and protection I required. If not much I would take the Chinook. If more I would get the Guide with its heavier fabric/lining, hood and wrist closures. I personally see the Chinook as a perfect jacket for moderate to cool weather and generally dry conditions. I own both, but for me the Guide is the better equipped garment for colder/wetter hunts in mid and late fall.

• Sitka Gear