loesshillsarcher 12-May-14
tthomas 12-May-14
loesshillsarcher 12-May-14
BULELK1 12-May-14
Toby 13-May-14
Medicinemann 13-May-14
tthomas 15-May-14
04-Mar-14
Hello Bowsiters......There are at least a half of dozen Bowsiters who have done this incredible hunt. I have listened to MedicineMans live hunt and been captivated by Ricardo's account of his. Before Jake heads off to his elephant hunt, I wanted top pose these questions and hopefully those can chime in. BigPizzaman, Pat and others, please feel free to answer and add any tips as you might feel would help.

1. What was the best thing about the trip? 2. What surprised you the most? 3. What was your sleeping bag/therma rest set up? 4. How did you transport your bow while on the sled and traveling while hunting? 5. Did you use hand warmers, boot warmers? 6. How did you keep your face from freezing? 7. Any piece of equipment, clothing that was a stand out for you? 8. Would you bring freeze dried, snacks etc? 9. Cameras, sat phone, GPS? What about a solar charger? 10. Did you have a chance to buy and crafts? When I was on a muskox hunt, there were polar bear hunters who traded their winter gear for wolf hides, carvings and some crafts? 11. Any other tips to someone looking to experience the north and a hunt on the ice?

If anyone has found some neat videos, articles or other information, please feel free to share.

04-Mar-14
The neatest thing for me was to experience the arctic climate itself. I was amazed at the amount of wildlife that was able to thrive in such conditions. I used a -30 degree bag and was more than comfortable. The tents or cabins that you will sleep in are surprisingly comfortable. I used the NO arctic gear and that is really all that you need. I didn't use boot warmers but did use hand warmers. I used a facemask that I bought at cabelas while traveling(cant remember the name) and it was awesome. A merinowool baklava while not traveling. Ski goggles that are tinted are a must in my opinion. Sat phone was a must also. Had to tell people what was happening. Keep electronics in a softsided cooler with hand warmers in it helps(or a pizza delivery bag. Locals will come to you often in hopes of purchasing their art. I would be a picker and walk around and make offers on anything that strikes your fancy. Just some off top of my head.

04-Mar-14
I took hemoroid(sp) rings and people made fun of me. They were great. That ride in the sled can be bone jarring. I used my SKB hard sided bowcase while traveling. They can affix it to the sled no problem. Use a cat quiver on my back also when stalking in for the shot. The food was not an issue for me but if you want a lil something that you enjoy snacking on, take it. space is usually not an issue.

04-Mar-14
I wish that I would have bought a small game license as I had opportunity at ptarmagin, hares, and fox. Didn't have a chance at wolves on my trip but other have seen some on their trips. Reading material important as long stints in the tent due to white outs are likely

04-Mar-14
Tom; Just get a seal suit and lay still. You're welcome and good luck.

04-Mar-14
"Before Jake heads off to his elephant hunt, I wanted to pose these questions and hopefully those can chime in."

I think what Tom really means is: Just in case the Elephant wins, I'd like Jake's advice on Polar Bear Hunting.

Rob's idea of Decoying one in sounds Interesting/ Exciting. If you go that way, please be sure to film it.

I think Timothy Treadwell tried something similar on his Grizzly hunt, or maybe I have the facts mixed up. Maybe we can get Rowdy to test that method on his next hunt for a Big Bear.

I don't actually have anything constructive to add to this thread, but as usual, that doesn't stop me from chiming in.

:-)

04-Mar-14
ACe

Great points. I understand Treadwell is not available. Ken Moody has Jake using a WB over the Trophy Taker drop away so I know he will be safe. :)

Maybe Rowdy just would say, skip the hunt and photo shop, photo shop away.

Rob

I have the seal suit for the guide.

Ned

Good tip on keeping batteries warm and in good use. I rode the sled on a muskox hunt. I still feel the pain :) Your buddy TomE has offered the use of his NO gear. What a great guy. Jake has offered to come along and run down the bear, push the sled and keep the guides in line. Bowsiters, really are the best.

04-Mar-14
Oh yeah, I thought of one tip Tom; If anyone offers you a meal of Polar Bear Liver and Onions, you should say No Thanks!

04-Mar-14
I will bring my own, Mountain House edition of PB Mac and Cheese, PB L & O, PB al a King and Kung Pow PB.

Those will be big hits.

04-Mar-14
Tom, I did something similar to Ned as far as electronic; however, at night I placed all electronic in my sleeping bag to save on hand warmers. Watch for condensation!! You can get the small bags that they use in the food industry to remove moisture or rice.

I used a heavy weight balaclava with a beaver/seal skin hat. I used UA underwear, with Cabelas down underwear and/or NO undergarments made of foam. My outfitter had the green caribou hide clothing(I highly suggested) lights warmest thing ever. This is what I wore as my outside layer. If this is unavailable, I would go with the long underwear, with the down underwear, then the 0 degree NO underwear. Same on top except I substituted a down jacket with hood. When traveling. I wore balaclava with beaver/seal skin hat then pulled my down hood over zipping it up all the way and tightening the hood with orange lens goggles. I also carried a heavy heavy sleeping indian parka. I still have all of these things except the balaclava, and you are welcome to all of it. I know we are close in size.

Gotta run but I can post more later or PM me.

04-Mar-14
Always wondered why the hunters have to ride in a bone-jarring sled? I would think if you are spending that kind of cash you should be able to drive a snowmobile yourself instead of getting beat to crap. Anyone ever ask about that option?

04-Mar-14
It was my understanding that the law requires that the hunter be transported by quamutik but the guides may ride snow mobiles for saftey purposes.

04-Mar-14
Rob- Fair Chase rules. But I know some muskox hunts area operated off of snowmobiles. I believe that you could ride one to the hunting area, but have to be on dogsled while hunting. Sled rides are no fun on the pressure ridged ice.

04-Mar-14
Tom,

The Arctic itself was the best thing.

Weather was brutal even surprisingly more then I thought.

Expeditoin bag XXL thermorest and Natives had "Foamies" for me.

Kept the bow in a Hard case while traveling.

Lots of Hand warmers, no in my boot though. I also used a Velcro back brace and slipped a handwarmer in it. No backpain and it kept me comfortable.

Turtle fur facemask and a neck gator.

NO pants and bibs were amazing.

Nuts

Too windy IMO for solar charger. had Backup batteries for all equipment.

Crafts, well as a US citizen I can't bring home seal fur and Walrus Ivory but got some cool stuff, even won a poker game and traded winnings for carvings!

04-Mar-14
Probably wont need Astroglide

04-Mar-14
Thanks for the explanation. But I see little difference as far as fair chase in getting towed by a snowmobile or riding on one? Or does the quamutik get towed only by dogs? Just curious if there is a way for Tom to prevent getting a sore back, sounds like the sled ride sucks. (And for me also, the wife says she might spring for a hunt for me if there is a high probability I might get eaten.)

04-Mar-14
If I remember there are some legal issues regarding the sled. I was pulled behind one machine to the hunt area. The other pulled the dog sled and dogs to the hunt area. Then the dogs are attached to the sled and the hunt begins. Less machines to breakdown equals more hunting time, less gas.

04-Mar-14
Bigpizzaman, please elaborate on the "Nuts"? lol

04-Mar-14
Tom,

I would like to suggest an aggressive acclimation program. Everyone knows that you are a hardcore hunter, and you live in a nice, cold region....so you can really help yourself by desensitizing yourself to the cold.

At the risk of re-opening the abuse that I took on Pat's thread back in 2007 (Direct from the ice....), I will tell you that I jogged barefoot in the snow that winter. Not long distances....maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile at a time....nothing with a crust that could cut my feet....just snow powder. I never wore a jacket all winter....not once....and I live near Buffalo, NY. I did wear my beaver fur hat everywhere though....and now that I have had it cleaned after BPM drooled all over it (it BETTER be drool), it is more than up to the task of another arctic adventure. Let me know if you want to add to its history, and I'll ship it out asap!!

I actually had access to a commercial size, walk in freezer....which was set at -44 degrees. If you have access to such a place, leave your gear in there overnight, and then shoot it to make sure that everything performs well. I actually went into the freezer ever day...and gradually increased my time in that freezer until I actually slept in it the night before I left for my hunt.

Handwarmers and a pizza bag worked well keeping electronics functional for me. I never used a handwarmer for my hands or my feet. I will admit that after my second hunt (2007), I honestly believe that I permanently changed my body's physiology. I am usually quite comfortable in 40-50 temperatures with minimal gear, but at temperatures over 70-75 degrees, I practically start to ferment. However, once I frostbit my fingers, I noticed that they are more sensitive to the cold now, than they used to be.

The Inuits really don't want to endanger anyone by going out if the weather is particularly dangerous. But I can personally attest to having been caught in -103 temps (including wind chill) and with the Northern Outfitters (NO) gear, it was a non-issue. I was cool, but not cold. However, if you go that route, you MUST practice shooting your bow with that gear on....because it is cumbersome and requires some degree of familiarization. I also took the Cabelas Transalaskan coveralls (which I loaned to a friend, and still haven't gotten back). They are easily good to -40....and much less restrictive or bulky than the NO gear. Make SURE that you have a white, 100% Nylon Anorak. It is not only camo, it is completely windproof.

I shot my equipment everyday with no problems while I was up there.....why the "wheels fell off" on the day that we saw my bear, is a complete mystery to me. I will suggest that you take a "snow knife". I took an old 12"-13" french knife with me. I used it to make a mini-igloo for a crapper (and I was damn proud of my construction....no sh*t!...well OK, maybe a little....) Set two 2'X 2'X 8" snow blocks on their sides about 12" apart and parallel to each, then set one of your big gloves on each of the upper edges of both blocks, when nature calls, you don't even have to freeze your butt off!! Put one butt cheek on each glove, and take care of business (it will just fall down in between the two blocks). Don't let the toilet paper get away from you.....or you'll be hopping across the ice, bare ass naked trying to catch up to your toilet paper roll, and as windy as it gets up there, you may never catch it. That actually happened to my friend, and I would have paid ANYTHING to have gotten that on video!!

The knife was also very helpful in making an arrow stop. I cut 7-8 2'X2' squares of snow about 8" thick and set them on their sides, one in front of the next, in a straight line. I put a little piece of paper on the front piece of snow, and then shot at it. I would then just start walking past the first few blocks, until I would find the arrow suspended in the last 2 or 3 blocks...depending on the spacing between the blocks. Mine were spaced about a foot apart from each other.

Make sure that behind the blocks, you have flat ice for quite a ways....that way, if you don't use enough blocks for the first shot, you can "track down" your arrow....just remember to add more blocks before shooting again. I could have taken a foam target, but it was a blast to improvise.

You aren't quite as tall as me, so your sleeping bag length won't be a factor. My outfitter provided these big, flannel mothers that I swear were 6" thick when unrolled. I would not get a mummy bag, if you have a choice. The more room that you have in the bag, the more gear you can put inside. That way, your body heat keeps everything toasty...otherwise, you are putting on frozen clothes in the AM! My guide put down muskox hides (fur side down to create a dead air space), and the sleeping bags went on top of that. Wear a wool cap at night, and have wool socks on your feet.

DON'T take an inflatable cushion to sit on...if it gets a hole in it, you'll be sorry....use some sort of foam cushion. Ned Greer is right, tinted goggles are a must....I would suggest two pair. You'll quickly learn how to exhale so your breath doesn't cloud/freeze your goggles. IF YOU GET A HEADACHE WHILE RIDING IN THE QAMITUK, MAKE THE GUIDE STOP. Those machines put out carbon monoxide in their exhaust, and they are pulling you through the fumes. It is no big deal for short trips, but I rode in that box all the way to Wyniatte Bay...200+ miles each way....and the headaches aren't worth the 10 minutes you save by not stopping. They are some REAL bangers.

Man, I could reminisce about those hunts for hours....those arctic hunts are GREAT adventures!! You'll LOVE bannock!!

04-Mar-14
Jake

That is hard extreme for sure. I have been shooting both bows, the coldest it has been is -31. Much colder with the wind chill. I have them both tuned well and am okay out to 80 yards. Of course shooting with all my winter gear. Actually am pretty comfortable to shoot 12 shots with only a the Sitka down hoodie and the Traverse Core hoodie and a sweater and a fleece glove. Leave the bows outside and then out in a half an hour or so. I think that part is okay.

Looking into a good facemask to work with goggles. Have those but two pairs is even better.

What about sunglasses?

Good tip on the headache. Did you take any special back remedy or Robaxin, Moutrin etc?

TomE said he will ship his NO gear and some boots to me. I am actually comfortable in the lighter gear I use and on my bighorn hunt I tested the protype Blizzard jacket and pants. I think with the down layers that was suggested, I should be fine.

Hands, feet and face should be the biggest challenge.

I will carry my backpack sheep archery target. I doubles as a great glassing seat as well. Building a target sounds like fun.

Will bring a little wind and temp gauge to check the weather. Suspect it will be either cold, dam cold and even colder. I do think I have an advantage over guys like Ricardo. Walking the dogs three times a day, in this cold weather has helped. I have been doing like you say, going lighter and lighter. Not running in bare feet but actually out in some like shoes and at first it was chilly but now I don't feel it.

Thanks for your thoughts and for your phone call the other day. You are an inspiration.

Hello Bowsiters........

04-Mar-14
I had sunglasses with me, but I used the tinted goggles most of the time. The shades are handy on a "warm" day when the sun is out. I took ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and amoxicillin. Be sure to have a sheer underglove on under your outer glove...so when it comes time to shuck the outer glove, your warm, moist hand won't freeze to the bow handle too badly. If at all possible, make sure that the outer glove has lanyards and can be clipped to your outermost garment. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I would NOT use a mummy sleeping bag....use a rectangular one, so you can stuff other clothes and gear in the bag with you....and let your body heat keep everything warm.

04-Mar-14
I took some sunglasses that I got at the Harley dealership. They must be common with bike riders. Had a padded interface that wouldn't let wind in. I used them a couple times but preferred the goggles most of the time. When are you going on the hunt? My favorite food that they served me was bone marrow from caribou. My guide on one of my bear hunts ate onions like apples, never had seen that before or since. A plate of cut fruit at the store was something like 60 bucks. Hamburger and fries with a soda was 45. Hotel prices will stick you big time if weather delays, ask to stay at your guides house or somebody that will take you and offer much less than you would pay at the hotel. They will take the offer most likely. I took booze for post kill party. if you do that don't tell them you have it before. It didn't last but a few minutes after my kill. lol. will think of more possibly.

04-Mar-14
It may be cruel but I find it amusing that after all of Jakes extreme training he had one of the worst cases of frost bite on his feet and hands that ive seen as result of a arctic hunt. Im convinced you cant acclimate to those conditions over short periods you need to live in that stuff, its part of your gene code.

Good luck Tom, one of the greatest hunts on the planet.

04-Mar-14
Tom,

I have glacier glasses you can take along and northern outfitter boots as well (not sure if your little feet will work in then though, your welcome too them if they fit, will bring them up next week for you)

Also have an artic suit but I'm guessing it may be a bit tall for you :)

If Jake can't make it I will fill in as the skinny white guy for him :)

Cheers,

Mike

04-Mar-14
PS. Don't stick your release in your mouth...only a complete moron would do that :)

05-Mar-14
Mike

I am thinking you are a bit too tall.

Heck, I am taking the recurve so no worries about sticking my fingers in my mouth :)

Brad

Thanks for your thoughts and enjoyed out chat. It will be an awesome experience for sure. All the help and tips will only make it better. Jake is a bit overzealous on the acclimation part of his hunts :)

05-Mar-14
Tom - Sent you a PM. Shoot me the address and I will get the NO gear on its way.

Be careful following ALL of Jake's advice. It may be worth reviewing Jake's old thread. I can still remember when he called me with the blow by blow report. I haven't laughed that hard in a long while. One thing that stuck with me though and he failed to mention in his threads above is that he had his release strapped to his wrist and carried it in the gloves. When he took the glove off to shoot, the release froze shut from the moisture. You might want to keep the release in your pocket or ask Jake for recommendations. Also don't use a peep with rubber tubing! AND don't wear braces on your teeth. Don't forget the prehunt preparation with EX LAX - I am sure Jake will fill you in. Other than that, you should be good to go. I also have a beaver hat that I made from Pennsylvania beavers that I caught that I have been saving for my muskox and PB hunts. Let me know if you want to christen it and I will pack it with the NO gear.

05-Mar-14
Can I have a beaver also?

05-Mar-14
I should have known better than to try and be helpful....LOL. In my own defense, I will still submit that if you normally hunt with a release, you should hunt with the release on your hand... The release kept banging on stuff, so I tucked it inside of the outer glove....and that was enough to freeze it up. Just keep it outside of the glove, then you'd be fine....the banging will just be an annoyance. Since you are using a recurve, it is a non-issue.

Don't give me any crap about using Exlax before my hunt (excuse the pun). I didn't have to build a crapper for something like 7 days, because I had completely emptied my system before heading out on the ice. Additionally, I am guessing that your body is burning off more calories than normal, so maybe there is less waste to dispose of?

Waterfowler had it wrong....I had no frostbite on my feet whatsoever. Even my hands were fine....just not for 45 minutes. Even the Inuits would be frostbit if exposed for that long. They actually do have genetic differences ....but not to that extent. I never intended to be able to work on my tan line while I was up there. If a bear came into camp at dawn or dusk (which they have been known to do because of the dogs and the smell of camp food), I wanted to be able to handle the cold long enough to make a lethal shot without having to get completely dressed first. That's why the bow and arrows were right by the outside flap of the tent....and why I tried to acclimate to the cold.

Brad (Waterfowler), are you pretty much resigned to the fact that your bear hide is going to be a permanent resident of Canada?

My acclimating came in handy one other way, too. We were trying to reach a fishing shanty before a really bad storm blew in and we didn't make it. Temperatures had dropped rapidly, from -35 to about -55 and the wind was screaming. I later checked a wind chill chart, and our conditions were off of the chart.

My Inuit guide and dog wrangler really wanted to reach the shanty. I believe that they thought that I would want to make camp in that cold, which would have been a fiasco. They approached me and asked if I was too cold to continue. I said that I was a little cool, but I was more than ready and willing to continue. I saw them shoot each other a glance, and I know what they were thinking....."This guy is game." Let's go. Their respect and our camp commaraderie visibly improved after that day.

Maybe Sharpstick had it right, maybe I was a moron, but I am results oriented, and you can't argue with my results. I still remember thinking to myself, my release is frozen, am I really gonna try to open it like this? Maybe I should have told the guide to calm down and quit trying to rush me. Maybe I should gotten out the second release....but the bear may have made it to the sea ice by then..... I had broken a release on a previous hunt because it was flopping around on my wrist. In all reality, I simply shouldn't have tucked the release under the glove....but if you are taking a recurve, that won't be an issue for you. Next time, maybe I'll shoot a few arrows instinctively for practice, even though the braces are now gone.

Eight days in a row I had shot my gear, and everything worked flawlessly. Everytime I look at that bear mount, I replay all of the things that went wrong on the day that mattered most....

05-Mar-14
Nedly, the last time that I checked, beaver don't generally live in cornfields...

05-Mar-14
lol

05-Mar-14
Jake, im betting i have him back within 18 months , i was offered a decent sum for him and considered it for a second but whats a few more years going to hurt at any rate. Ive considered shooting another one just out of spite.

05-Mar-14
If you don't mind me asking what do you guys do with your bears when you kill them since we cant import then to the USA anymore? Do you think they will ever be importable again? If you shoot a bear now when they are non-importable and the rule changes so they are importable. Can the hides be imported at that time if shot during a non-importable time? I've dreamed for years to hunt polar bear but by the time I could afford it they made them non-importable and I really dont want to kill one then not be able to bring it home!!

Aaron

05-Mar-14
I surely don't have any tips... but plenty of thoughts.... I think it is going to be as an incredible adventure as it is extreme. Hope we get to "go along" in some way when the time comes. It's a kick just to "listen in" on the planning and logistics involved. Exciting to even think about really.

Oh! here's a tip.... I don't think I'd borrow Jake's gloves..... =D

Didn't read when you were going or where. But pretty much anywhere up there my reply is going to be "wear the fox hat....."

BPM... "Nuts" ??? Folks freeze theirs off and need a spares?

Hope you can find the time to keep us in the loop, pretty cool stuff.... so to speak.... thanks much tthomas.

06-Mar-14
Tom, the comments above have it covered. Jake is spot on. I would add.. To big home your bear meat since you live in Calgary. Great meat and worth the extra cost to bring it home in my opinion. Getting it to Edmonton is no problem from up there. A true adventure and look forward to hearing about the trip. Enjoy the sled ride with the dogs... The calmness and quiet ride was a highlight.

Regarding bringing hides back into the US. I'm in the camp that before too long things will change and the US will change its law. They can't ignore the scientific facts(that bear populations are increasing) forever. For now, I'm lucky since I'm Canadian living in California, I can leave in Alberta at relatives.

06-Mar-14
Db1,

I agree. The meat is good, and how many people get to say that they have tried polar bear??!!!

However, DON'T eat the liver....it is toxic to humans because of the vitamin A concentrations (Hypervitaminosis A). Additionally, my Inuit told me not to eat too much of the red meat either....it is too rich for most people....and he was right. If I had eaten any more than I did, I would gotten the runs.

My Inuits actually ate the knuckles of the bears feet, first. I was the only only one that ate the red meat.

06-Mar-14
It's not a certainty that they'll never come home. A change in congress/administration could change that.

06-Mar-14
When is the hunt taking place?

06-Mar-14
OK first of all, Why go after a white bear that requires frostbite when you can shoot a black bear in a pair of shorts and a polo shirt?

And there are certainly more black bears to chase than white bears! Guys just don't get so hung up on color.

Anyway, Tom if your still hung up on going to hunt in Santa Clauses backyard whatever you do DON'T USE JAKES BEAVER HAT! Rumor has it that certain body fluids were absorbed into it so don't take any chances!

Also, if you do the decoy seal skin thing please get one of them Eskimos to video it...Goodluck, Mike

06-Mar-14
BPM,

Don't look now, but I think that you ruined my beaver hat's chances of ever making another trip to the arctic!! LOL!! (although it has been used since).

06-Mar-14
Mad Trapper has it covered with his offer. I am leaning towards the new Sitka Blizzard jacket and pants. Used it on a sheep hunt and it was -26 to - 35 and much lower with the wind chill. Its not too bulky and easy enough to shoot even with it on.

Worried about condensation in the boots. Hunting whitetails and even just sitting in a stand, then you have wet liners and then eventually frozen insoles. No chance to put your boots or liners on a dryer. Did guys bring two sets of liner?

Mark said to use the traditional boots but not sure if that is going to be an option or offered.

Am tring to find out the best solar charger as the need for batteries and being recharged will be high. Any thoughts or experience there?

Bou, end of April, it should be much warmer then.

Aaron, will bring the bear back home as I live in Alberta.

Hope to have story to share. I have a silver fox hat, but not sure about it. Used a coyote hat on a muskox hunt and it seemed to be moist with the blowing snow and the hat smelled like wet dog all the time.

06-Mar-14
Duh....I never though that some of you guys already live in canada that makes things alot easier!! Well good luck and I cant wait to hear about it I will someday hunt them beast and I will be comeing to all of you for advice but it might be a while or I'll have to move to canada so I can have it in my house!!!

Aaron

07-Mar-14
Disclaimer!

"I did not have sexual relations with "THAT" Beaver!!

Nuts: Eat dried and PROTECT others!

Oh and Jake, your Email has been hacked!!

07-Mar-14
Tom; I have a beaver hat you can use. Never lent it out before so I can say with confidence that it's virtue is intact.

07-Mar-14
Does anyone have any experience with other critters used to make a hat? I would think a Fisher hat would be pretty damn warm. A nice prime raccoon would probably work as well, and you'd have that cool tail hanging down.

I bet Rancid Craptree could have chimed in here with a: "How To Make a Hat Outta Something Dead" thread that would be entertaining as hell.

Of course, then it would go bad, as they so often do.

Tom, will you be using a Rage for that bear?

07-Mar-14
TThomas,

The NO boots are not the best fitting boots in the world, but one of their biggest features is the fact that you can dissemble the boots every evening. You can actually pull out the plastic wicker sole (where your sweat "flash freezes" on them), bang them against your leg to knock off the sweat, and then put them right back into the boot......

BPM,

Damn....sorry about the Spam dude.....

07-Mar-14
Tom,

As far as Boots DB sent me a pair from Cabelas that didn't fit him, they were amazing! They fit WAY better then that NO boot, had liners that you could take out every night. Warm feet with boots I could run in, only boot I would use!

Jake,

If a little Spam is the worst thing that happens to me today.................I'm in for a pretty good day!!! LOL

Tim

07-Mar-14
Tom,

Do you wear contacts? I don't, but have friends that do....I can share their preparations, if you need more details.

07-Mar-14
DB1,

The meat from the bear is not the property of the hunter. I believe the only parts that you are permitted to keep is the hide, skull and baculum.

The meat is the property of the guide/community (he may be able to "gift" you some but I do not know the legality of that). If the animal had been tranq'd within a certain amount of time, the guide is entitled to compensation (from the Govt) for the meat as it is not fit for human consumption.

tthomas, if you're hunt brings you through Yellownknife I may be able to help you with some gear. I'm 6'0" and 180lbs. I would have you covered if you're less than 6'4" and 250lb's. Sleeping bag and all clothing would be here.....makes your travel a little easier. Please feel free to pm me and we'll see what I can do.

07-Mar-14
OK, just had to look up "baculum".... have to assume that's not importable either....

Jake.... I gots to know....

07-Mar-14
MM...I would be interested in what you have to say about contacts in the arctic

07-Mar-14
Baculum=swizzle-stick!

07-Mar-14
Tips and thoughts... Make the first arrow count, and don't be the slowest runner. Good luck!

07-Mar-14
Jake

I wear contacts and one a day. Just put them in and throw them away at the end of the day Interested to hear your thoughts for sure.

Tundra Monkey

Will be through there this September but this hunt I go through through Ottawa.

Ace

Plan to use the Grim Reaper. Having stayed up many a night thinking about the perfect broadhead, I am now convinced that anything is better than a two blade.

19-Mar-14
Spent an hour talking with JakO yesterday. He was very helpful and gracious, sharing his stories and knowledge. He also shared that so many Bowesiters helped him and he is so generous to help me as well. A big shout out to TomE (Mad Trapper)from PA who is sending me some of his NO gear for me to use. We are the same size so his boots will come in handy. I have some heavy weight (ie warm) Sorrels and will compare the two. Also will bring some of the moccasins that I wear at home so will have a few options.

Another buddy on here, sent me a video of his hunt as well. Lots to learn and lots to enjoy.

Contacts are not an issue as I will wear the one a day throw aways. Tested them on the sheep hunt and with temperatures below 30 degrees, I don't think it can get much colder on the bear hunt.

A pretty sharing lot for sure.

If I could just get BPM to send my a large all dressed then I could steal the pizza warmer (Jake's suggestion) I could keep my batteries warm. :)

19-Mar-14
PM me your Address Tom and it's on it's way!

19-Mar-14
When is your hunt Tom?

24-Mar-14
Big Pizza

Thanks but we have something that will work. Now if you were going to put a pizza in it that would be different. Have 65 people coming to my 29th Annual Sheephunter Shoot, so maybe put in a few extra :)

Thanks for the offer though.

Loesshills

Leaving April 17th. Just after the sheep shoot. We have a 100 yard target, will leave that pin in place. I am not as brave as you guys, don't plan on getting so close. Figure I should shake less at 100 yards than at 20. Probably would shoot better as well.

24-Mar-14
which area? curious

24-Mar-14
Ned,

I think that he will be near Pond Inlet....

24-Mar-14
Jake is correct. Fly to Pond Inlet.

24-Mar-14
I can just see the locals when Mr Foss shows up in the village with pizza warmers.... "OK... who's the smart guy that ordered out...."

25-Mar-14
Florida Mike, before you shoot a black bear in shorts and a polo shirt, ask him if his handle is "Fuzzy" please? lol

25-Mar-14
Excited for your opportunity!!

25-Mar-14
As long as its loaded, they probably don't complain. Anchovies and seal meat, are extra :)

14-Apr-14
I got back from Resolute a few weeks ago. I used a -30 bag and brought a liner but did not use after the first night. I followed Bigpizzamans advice and brought lots of hand and feet warmers. I used them consonantly. I was given a Caribou hide clothing which my core never got cold and Polar bear outer gloves with 2 pairs under. The only time I got cold is when I took the big gloves off or when the wind was blowing hard from the same direction for prolong time and that was on my feet My big toes are still a little numb after 3 weeks but not sure that the hand warmers aren't to blame. It was a beautiful place and the adventure was awesome, it also showed me how brutal the cold is and a guy could get into trouble fast if not well prepared. I kept my electronics (camera,rangefinder) in my undercoat pockets and had no trouble. My release I left with my bow in a hard case and it was never in the warmth. No problems. Although the camera on my bow did turn off while filming but lucky for me after the shot which was 20 yards with 1 arrow. It was a successful hunt after 5 days. I learned a lot from the guys that went before me and shared there stories here on Bowsite

14-Apr-14
Kickstand,

Congrats.....but where is your photo?!!!

Tthomas,

I believe that you are three days away from one of the more memorable bowhunts of your life!! Best of luck!! By chance, will either of the boys be able to go with you?

14-Apr-14

kickstand's embedded Photo
Here he is. Not a 10 footer but a nice bear

14-Apr-14
awesome

14-Apr-14
Tthomas,

Now that kickstand has posted his picture, is your blood pumping NOW?!!!

In case we don't talk before you leave in three days, GOOD LUCK!!!!

14-Apr-14
I just finished up shooting with my son Cam. We had both Cam and Adam here as we hosted the 29th Annual Sheephunters Shoot. Great time with 65 folks out to enjoy the day. Got my 100 yard pin dialed and some great shooting lessons from some of the younger guys.

Thanks for sharing the photo Kick. What an awesome bear you got. Congratulations.

14-Apr-14
kick, is that what a bluebird day up there looks like? No tanning oil? =D Hard to imagine places where just being outside is trying to kill ya.

Good luck and hope the spirits of the hunt are with ya.

Man.... what an adventure....

14-Apr-14
Some crazy stuff, going up to the arctic and trying to kill a polar bear...

15-Apr-14
64indian64....

LOL thats funny!!!! When I get a chance to shoot one someday I will get in contact with you and well work out a deal!!! JK

Aaron

15-Apr-14
Good luck tthomas!!! Cant wait to hear the story!!

Aaron

15-Apr-14
TThomas Where are you going and with who?

15-Apr-14
Canada North Outfitters organized it, Shane Black. Just spoke with my guide in Pond Inlet. The adventure begins Thursday.

15-Apr-14
Best of luck! Rooting for your success.

15-Apr-14
Tthomas, best of luck and safe travels on a amazing trip and hunt!

15-Apr-14

tthomas, I used Shane and Canada North as well. We had to Land at Pond Inlet going to Resolute Good Luck to you

15-Apr-14
This is amazing. We can get 2,567 threads on Rage heads, 1,243 threads on P&Y club, and 20,984 threads on score my buck.................

and a guy shoots a friggin' polar bear and we get nary a single detail................

come on man open up will ya!

15-Apr-14
Good for you Kickstand and good luck tthomas!

17-Apr-14
Good luck Tom! Congrats kickstand (and don't be shy about pics and stories)! Ha!

Mark

17-Apr-14
Thanks guys, seats are selected. Two days of travel. Will arrive after 6:00 pm tomorrow. Easter Friday and all will be closed. Hope we can find a CO to open up and sell us a licence.

17-Apr-14
Keep your nose in the wind and good luck.....

17-Apr-14
Good luck buddy, shoot straight, shoot often.

18-Apr-14

This let you know how cold it was -40 with the wind. My hunt took 4 days hunting,6 on the ice.

18-Apr-14

Our traveling house that we towed along with us

19-Apr-14
OK tht was a start.

How about 50 more photos and some details?

19-Apr-14
Kickstand,

How wide was the qamituk that the shanty is built on? I sure hope that it is oversized (for width).....cool idea. Did you ever get to watch them build an igloo?

I believe that today is Tom's first day of hunting......

19-Apr-14
Good luck Mr. Foss... Hope you put down a monster.

19-Apr-14
Good luck Tom :)

19-Apr-14
Bou,

I think we get all the comments on the other threads you mentioned as there are more people that can relate to those subjects. To me they have been beaten to death though and not much new info comes out of them.

I love these threads as even though I will never in my life do this hunt, I love to read about those that do and live the adventure through them.

With that said good luck Tom on your hunt and post a ton of pictures and a story when you get back.

19-Apr-14
Just a question... it seems to be some rule the hunter HAS to ride on the dogsled the whole time during the hunt....

I'm gonna go out on an limb and guess the travel trailer was pulled by a snowmobile or a snow machine and not a dogsled? The guides and camp use those instead of the dog sled?

19-Apr-14
I believe you cannot hunt from the snow mobile. I'm sure you can use it for transport and such but the dog team or by foot for the actual hunt.

19-Apr-14
Keep the faith Tom!

Good luck, Robb

19-Apr-14

Jake It was about 7 x 11 at best. We all three slept, ate cooked in it. It was crowded but not bad. They did not build a igloo but the assistant carved a porta potty in a snow bank one morning complete with a ledge for the TP. Quite impressive. TD The rule is when you go after the bear you need to be on the sled pulled by dogs. In our case a snowmobile pulled the hut and the guide had the dogs pull the hunting sled at all times. I rode on back of the snowmobile most the time. It made it easier for the dogs (less weight) and for me (back) Nick The natives in Resolute can hunt with just a snowmobile. We were passed a few times by some locals only to come across a carcass a day or two later. They get there tags by putting there names in a hat at a town meeting in the winter but must use them by 4/15 or lose them to another draw

19-Apr-14

I had a camera on my bow. Here are a couple of frames

19-Apr-14

19-Apr-14

19-Apr-14
Who was your guide? I took my bear in resolute a few years ago. Great pics that bow mounted camera is cool.

19-Apr-14
Wow! That pic of the arrow as it's about to arrive is really cool! Thanks for sharing. Please keep 'em coming 'til Tom can put up his.

19-Apr-14
The Guide was a younger fellow Greg. He is the son of Nation and Martha that have the local outfitting business. The other guide for the other hunter was Dave

19-Apr-14
Incredible photos! Congrats on one hell of an experience.

19-Apr-14
David was my guide and his wife was his helper. Great people. What are you going to do with your bear due to the import restrictions? I had offers from $750- 7500 for mine. I was preban but missed the deadline, one of those guys....

20-Apr-14
Incredible photos is right. Look at how much that bear moved before the arrow got there. Would be great to start a new thread with those photos as an educational thing. Wouldn't want to hijack this one though.

20-Apr-14
Great pics Kick!

Anybody hear from Tom?

Mark

20-Apr-14
Congrats Kickstand and thanks for posting the pictures. Tom can't wait for pictures and story.

20-Apr-14

20-Apr-14
At one time Tom had a blog....but he got a lot of anti-hunting trash when he posted Michele Leqve's polar bear hunt on it....hopefully, he'll be willing to share it here, if not on the blog.....

22-Apr-14
Tom should be at least four days into his hunt....

I was just wondering if anyone has heard from him yet?

Cam/Adam, if you ever visit this site, feel free to chime in!!

22-Apr-14
Goodluck Tom!!! Mike

25-Apr-14
TTT

25-Apr-14
Hope he takes a wack of photos to share and has great weather and hunting.

25-Apr-14
Jake... if you know the area he is in can a person google up the weather? I glanced back through this but couldn't come up with how many days this hunt was for?

Hopefully we hear soon. Can hardly wait.

25-Apr-14

BowMad23's Link
Here is the weather at Pond Inlet. Almost balmy in the coming days, eh Jake? This is probably a reasonably close location as far as reported weather goes, although I don't know the exact locale where Tom is hunting. Man the weather channel on the web sucks.

26-Apr-14
This is the weather I used

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?nu-25&unit=i

26-Apr-14
It definitely sounds like it is warming up....and salt water thaws at lower temperatures than fresh water....

The bears hides will start to turn grayish, soon....(because their skin is black, and as they start to lose some winter fur, their thinning white hair coupled with the black skin gives them that grayish appearance).

26-Apr-14
Double post...

26-Apr-14
Yikes!!

26-Apr-14
WTH!

26-Apr-14
TBM-itis there Jake?

26-Apr-14
I have no idea what happened.....suddenly my post was cloning itself....After reading various posts, I may have "sprayed" my keyboard with coffee, and the sugar gets sticky. Maybe the "Enter" key got stuck for a second or two.....

26-Apr-14
here we go again.....

27-Apr-14
OK....I might finally have a line on some of this stuff lately on bowsite....

Jake, you ever seen the movie "fight club"???

You been sleepin' alright? Is TBM really Tyler Durden?

=D

03-May-14
Anyone heard from Tom?

03-May-14

moosehunter's embedded Photo
moosehunter's embedded Photo
Congrats on your bear!

03-May-14
Awesome, Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment.

05-May-14
OK, so I have contacted couple outfitters over the last two years and they both informed me "I will not go into details since Polar Bear imports to the US were banned in 2008" Is the issue of getting your trophy back into the US just not talked about or what am I missing?

09-May-14
Is Tom home from his hunt yet?

12-May-14
I have heard some rumors

12-May-14
Hey guys, thanks for all the help and tips and for sharing so much. Had an adventure for sure. Will try to get a bunch of thoughts down and make some notes for those that follow.

Had some fun on the ice, lots of memories and learned a lot about myself. Had some tears, some scares and some worries. Learned that things will work out for the best and that good things come to good people. A fellow by the name of Jim can attest to that.

Came home with a new sled dog :)

12-May-14
Cool. looking forward to the recollection.

12-May-14
Welcome home!

So now Team Foss has a sled dog! ha

Good luck, Robb

13-May-14
Kickstand, great bear and cool pictures. i will be hunting next year for muskox, and will like to know which sleeping bag did you use?

13-May-14
This promises to be an interesting story....

15-May-14

tthomas's embedded Photo
tthomas's embedded Photo
Toby

Western Mountaineering Cypress bag. They have a -30 a -34 and a -40C bag. Few situations where it will be that cold as it depends when you go. If you look at any of the top bags at REI you will be set up. Don't balk at the $700 price tag. If you buy a big square bag then you will end up paying for another bag on your flights in the US and then a flight heading north in Canada. That will probably be $300 or so. If you get one of these mummy bags it will fit in your duffle bag or you can carry it on. So you end up with a great bag for $500 or less.

Rob

Planted 2500 spruce trees this weekend. They say huskies tend to wander and can just run off on their own. We have already made Juno into a house dog :)

Here she is, supervising my tree planting. I think because she experienced a tough life on the ice that she has built a strong bond with me so quickly.

She fits in well with my wild nine year old rescue "wolf" and the three year old rescue "border collie"

She can run like the wind. I will be in great shape come sheep season. Since Kaiser is slowing down, I will be out lots with his sisters.

I think Juno landed on a lucky star, but then so did I when I found her.

• Sitka Gear