pav 17-Apr-14
HuntinFoolUtah 17-Apr-14
Halibutman 17-Apr-14
TEmbry 17-Apr-14
Nick Muche 17-Apr-14
arky 17-Apr-14
rtkreaper 17-Apr-14
09-Apr-14
This is what I have planned out for my August 2015 Bou hunt. I am just looking to get some thoughts on this. Nothing is booked yet. Any tips or suggestions are more than welcome.

Fly into Prudhoe Bay $1300-$1500 round trip. I will get an Alaskan Airlines Credit card as soon as I turn 18 to build points, and nock some price off of this.

Buy hunting license and two tags for a total cost of $735

Be picked up by the outfitter, (70 north) in Prudhoe Bay and driven up to Happy Valley. $600 round trip split between hunters.

Fly out from happy valley to hunting spot for $2000 round trip.

If extra flight is needed to get meat out it is $1500 split between hunters.

Shipping meat back should be roughly $300 according to 70 North.

The gentleman I spoke to said that the only way to get your antlers home is through a company called antlers express? Rough cost of $500 split between hunters.

Total cost of hunt should be a little over $5000 dollars.

09-Apr-14
Sounds to me like you have one heck of a good plan already. Be sure to add cost of getting your bou mounted. And be prepared to stay an extra day or 2 in camp just incase the weather is not cooperating. May want to make sure you give yourself a little leway on flights. I've never hunted for bou in alaska, but flight delays are not uncommon in Quebec do to the weather. Can't imagine its any different there.

09-Apr-14
That's a very good idea with the flights. I have family that live a little over an hour away from Deadhorse in Sterling. I could book our flight home a day or two later than expected, and stay with them and do some fishing if everything does work out as planned.

10-Apr-14
Does anybody know if I might be able to make this into a combo hunt for moose or bear as well?

10-Apr-14
If you fly AA you should be able to get your rack home for under $100. Alaska Air is very good about that. Assuming things don't change by 2015.

As far as combo, moose most likely will not be open in August.

Planning is half the fun for me and Ak. is amazing!!

10-Apr-14
I just called 70 north and they told me that getting a moose tag was out of the question. This may seem like a stupid question, but when I buy my tags, are they just general caribous tags or do I have to buy them for the specific unit? I believe that he said that it was unit 23 that we would be hunting.

11-Apr-14
the unit you will be hunting is just a general harvest ticket area (so no need for a specific unit tag). You need both a tag and a harvest ticket. (the harvest tickets are free)

Some archery moose seasons are open in August. I believe unit 16 general moose opens in august. look through the reg book.

Also, you need to double check the map, Sterling is a 24hr+ drive from Deadhorse. If you can utilize whatever relation you have up there, it is possible to cut down your costs above with some ingenuity.

11-Apr-14
Not trying to stick my nose where it doesn't belong nor toot my own horn any more than I feel I have to here but when you did your calculation for the round trip into and then back out of camp did you actually count on:

#1. Not just one round trip but two round trips with the bush plane? You do have to get into camp and then come back out of camp and you will have to pay for both trips unless prearranged to have someone share the flights. You are talking flying a bush plane that is big enough to take "as a bare minimum" you and your buddy, your hunting gear and I would have to presume some kind of grocery order, a tent, pack frames, rifles, sleeping bags, something to cook with and also cook on for that matter into an unknown area for a 5-6 day hunt.

#2. Did you count on purchasing any groceries or drinks? If not then plan on spending about twice what it would cost you to do your grocery down south and don't forget to add the weight into the load you will be putting on board the aircraft.

#3. If you are hunting in August and shoot a caribou during the first couple of days of the hunt chances are the weather will be warm in August and you will need to get it flown out of there and have it taken somewhere where it can be hung in a cool and dry spot or it will spoil.

#4. Do you plan on bringing in cheese cloth and/or a screened tent? Flies can be an issue in August and unless you have some place to hang your meat up until the plane can come in and get your caribou out of there you had best have somewhere to hang it where it is going to be free from flies laying eggs into it, dry and ventilated.

I am amazed at how some bowsiters could criticise my initial offer of reintroducing my 1x6 outpost camp for $6000.00/hunter (all inclusive from Montreal taxes and licenses for 2 caribou/hunter included). Yet it is perfectly OK to pay $5000.00 for a DIY hunt in Alaska where you are not being provided with any guiding services and all your outfitter is providing you with is a flight into camp and a ride from the airport but yet the cost of that hunt is going to easily be in excess of $5000.00! In comparison I am offering a fully outfitted hunt where I have flown freighter canoes and/or boats into each and every one of my camps, numerous drums of gas, propane, outboard motors, four wheelers and I offer solid framed cabins with beds and mattresses, oil and/or wood heat to keep you toasty, fully equipped kitchens etc. Not to mention I fly over 200 hours to make sure I am doing what it takes to give everyone a chance of actually being in a camp where they will see caribou. Not to mention if any of my clients get stuck over night at my base camp due to bad weather my wife and I personally feed and serve everyone a warm meal and provide everyone with comfortable accommodations "free of charge" and boast over 95% success rates over the last 5 years. I could go on and on but choose not to as I think the point is made. Just my two cents worth....and nothing more than my humbled opinion! lol

Please don't take me the wrong way, I do wish you lots of success on your DIY hunt in Alaska and hope you have a truly terrific time but just could not resist. If I can be of any help with your planning for this DYI hunt please don't hesitate to contact me. I certainly know what is required as a bare minimum could help you with that if you'd like.

Richard Hume

11-Apr-14
I'm sure you provide a great hunt Richard but hunting Alaska is also an awesome experience for a bowhunter, particularly when you're a young guy if it's DYI. Sometimes it's all about the adventure...

11-Apr-14
Richard, I was thinking along the same lines as you. I have never hunted Alaska, although I have fished there a lot and I am obviously prejudiced for JHA, it is pretty obvious that alot more research needs to be done before they head to Alaska to hunt. Rory

12-Apr-14
I've taken care of a lot of bou in August on the haul road and never lost any due to heat including one we kept 7 days. You will need to find some shade or create some.

12-Apr-14
I am well aware of how to take care of an animal in temps much hotter than what we'll encounter in Alaska as our archery hunt in utah starts mid august. For food we plan on mountain house meals and such. I need to talk to mike at 70 north for specific weight limits, but I truly feel like I have a decent grasp of what we are getting into.

12-Apr-14
As for multiple trips being required to get meat from the field, I have already listed that expense in my op.

12-Apr-14
I have no clue where that video came from.

12-Apr-14
Just be sure you are prepared to care for meat without a tree within 100 miles. Different ballgame up on the tundra than in big timber...

I did the trip last year but opted for the Haul Road vs a fly in trip, and had a great successful trip. Keeping meat in early august on the tundra is no easy feat.

13-Apr-14
Keeping meat for a couple of days should not be a problem. Rent a sat phone, make sure that your transporter is prearranged for a pick up and you should be good to go. You will incur some extra expense to keep the meat in a cooler for a few days and or get it butchered and frozen. Again, your transporter should have options for this. If they do not, find another one.

If you are flying in a Super Cub you will have about a 60 lb. weight limit. One trip per hunter and a separate meat flight.

a 180 will get you two hunters and maybe a little bit more gear limit per flight. Either plane will get at least one Bou out per flight. We got 2 mature bull moose out in a Cub one flight per bull.

Pack like you are carrying camp in. We did 11 days via Super Cub and had enough food for 2-3 extra days if we got weathered in, no problem.

13-Apr-14
It always costs far more than what we estimate, but we need those low estimates to show the wives.....If they knew what it really cost (most figure it out anyway), we'd have a lot tougher time getting the ok to go!!! :)

Alaska: Everyone has their hand out to take your money there....

13-Apr-14
I am only 17 (18 when I actually go), so I don't have to worry about the whole significant other ordeal. I can definitely understand the difficulty for some guys though. The biggest problem I am running into is trying to find someone to go with me.

13-Apr-14
HuntinFoolUtah

PM sent

13-Apr-14
I didn't receive it. Maybe try again.

13-Apr-14
Check Again

13-Apr-14
CaribouKid,

Richard, by no means do I not think you run the best camp in QB. But you not adding up all the costs for your hunt. What about a commercial flights to Montreal or the cost to drive up. The cost of having the meat processed and the cost to ship the meat home on Commercial airfare. What about the cost of food for the 1 x 6 hunt, that is all extra. The Kid from Utah is figuring his cost from Door to Door. Yours undoubtedly will be closer to $8500 when your said and done.

14-Apr-14
How are you going to get around once you are dropped off in your hunting area? By foot? If the caribou are not nearby, you could be spending $5,000 (or more) for a camping trip.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I talked to a guy who did what you are doing last fall....10 day hunt...4 guys were dropped off. They killed 2 caribou between the 4 of them (rifle hunting)..one nice one and one small one (for meat on the last day). They saw some a long ways off, but said the tundra was like walking on a waterbed filled with bowling balls and couldn't get close to them before they moved on.

I'd only hunt where I had some mode of transportation other than my two feet(like a boat or where someone would move me if there were no caribou around), but it's your adventure. Finding others to join you might be a problem.....

If it's adventure you're looking for and taking home a caribou is secondary, go for it... If you truly want to bring home a nice animal, I'd save up a little more money and go with either JHA or a hunt in Northern Manitoba... Good luck!

14-Apr-14

cariboukid's embedded Photo
cariboukid's embedded Photo
Prezboy, you are correct and in all fairness I did not add up all of the cost which could be added onto our hunts. Including the cost of a commercial airfare to get to Montreal or the cost involved with butchering your caribou meat (should you choose to do so in Montreal). However the food order is included on our 1x6 fly up outpost hunt.

Unlike driving up to Alaska, Montreal is only a very short 1.5 hour drive north from the USA/Canada border and so for many of our clients arriving from the north eastern portions of the USA (PA, NY, VT, MI, OH, WI, MA, ME, NH, VA etc.) it is very much feasible for them to actually drive up and take advantage of our "free parking" within our secured and guarded parking lot.

For those who choose to fly in, fortunately Montreal has very affordable connecting flights with all the available airlines whom all have regular scheduled flights into Montreal each and every day of the week. I fly to many of my sportsman shows and it never cost me more than $600.00 for a return ticket. I have also used air miles to travel and it then cost me nothing more than the cost of the taxes.

In so far as the meat butchering goes, not all of our clients require butchering services as the caribou cones out of camp quartered and deboned but none the less for those who do require his services, the butcher conveniently meets our clients upon their return at the Holiday Inn hotel and picks up the caribou from anyone wishing to have it processed by him. He not only butchers your caribou but vacuum seals it and fast freezes it prior to returning it to you the next morning. The cost for this service is $80.00/caribou but by doing so you can lower the weight of each caribou box to less than 50Lbs. and instead of paying for excess weight and excess baggage you would only be charged for excess baggage.

So yes there can be extra cost involved in our hunts other than those I had previously mentioned but my pricing is from Montreal and not from 800 miles north in Lac Pau. In the case of the DIY hunt you have to get all the way up to Alaska which we could compare to getting to Lac Pau. (Driving is certainly not going to be an option for most to get to Alaska nor would most of our clients wish to drive to Lac Pau. It is however going to be a little more restricted to use your air miles to get into Alaska than what it would be to get yourself to Montreal.)

With all that being said I am not trying to purposely take away from anyone experience of doing a DIY hunt. I have done many of them myself and have some great memories to go along with them but I am putting out other options that might be worth comparing.

And with all that being said my 1x6 fly up option is not my cheapest package as I do offer a 1x6 drive up hunt for $4500.00. Just saying!! Get yourselves 24 hours north of Montreal to Lac Pau and hunt for $4500.00 out of a nice cozy outpost cabin with boats, motors, real food and everything else required to have a successful hunting trip including an outfitter/bush plane pilot who locates the caribou prior to your arrival and positions you accordingly....and once you arrive at camp you have an experienced guide to send you off in the right direction. I won't hide the fact that I don't use my fanciest camps for this hunt as they are reserved for my fly up guest who are paying much more money to hunt with us but I can guarantee that it will be dry, warm and have everything you require.

On a different note I just got off the phone with one of our clients (Richard Mann) who hunted Amanda Lake a few years ago with his son Allan Mann. Richard's caribou was recently registered at 398 B&C and is the 2nd highest scoring caribou to be registered in B&C during that three year period....See the picture! It was an awesome caribou.

Richard Hume

14-Apr-14
I am jealous! Save me one like that for 2015.

14-Apr-14
I don't want to hijack the thread but Me too!

That's means save 2 Richard!

14-Apr-14
JHA is number one. You can't beat them with a stick!! Of course I am biased toward them, will be making my 14th trip with them this year. If you want a safe, excellent, exciting ADVENTURE, go with JHA. You will probably see less hunters on a Quebec caribou hunt than an Alaska hunt. Just my opinion. Rory

14-Apr-14
with JHA package you can plan for your costs.

with AK you have much more variability and it could end up being a death by thousand cut type thing.

even if AK is s planned costwise the line about a "camping trip" if the bou are not there is a possibility that is greater in AK drop camp and JHA hunt.

If going on a DIY camping trip is worth the risk then go for AK over a more predictable (I said more predictable not predictable) JHA package.

14-Apr-14
Given that everyone in Alaska has their hand out, I would rather see you drive to Quebec. Preferably in a large truck with poor mileage. At least that way, I get a cut of the action.

14-Apr-14
Don't forget to celebrate Jay Hammond Day on July 21st!

15-Apr-14
You can hunt caribou in Alaska for MUCH less than the figures cited.

Why choose to fly into Prudhoe? I would recommend the western arctic herd out of Kotzebue. There are more caribou, and they are closer to town. There are also bigger bush planes available. Cubs are for sheep hunting, not caribou and moose. Get into a 206 if you can, or even a 185. This will cut your costs by several hundred dollars.

Example:

Get alaska airlines card, spend $2500 on normal purchases...fly round trip for $10 from anywhere alaska airlines services.

Tags and license for two bulls $735.

Bush flights (assuming three...in and out twice plus meat haul) $3600.

Extra baggage to come home :$200.

That's more like $2700. Just my two cents.

Full disclosure: I'm booked with JHA for 2015.

16-Apr-14
Halibutman, what week are you going next year? I will be there again the week of Sept. 3-9, 15. Rory

16-Apr-14
I have started talking to several outfits out of kotzebue and most of them say that they like to wait until early September to go. I would need to be back to utah on August 30th at the very latest. If I can find one that is willing to do it mid august that seems like the way to go.

16-Apr-14
Look at your in Box

16-Apr-14
Apologies. I was not considering your time constraints.

Pretty sure I'm on the last 2015 hunt with JHA. Chose Richard based 100% off bowsite recommendations. I will be using a rifle, as I am a rifle hunter. I respect the archery choice, and will probably end up there eventually.....just not yet. :)

16-Apr-14
I hunted Caribou for less than $2k last year... but I did the Haul Road route vs fly ins. I didn't want to risk spending a couple thousand on bush flights for an extended camping trip if the bou aren't there.

17-Apr-14
I hunted caribou on the North Slope in 2012....fly in from Bettles. My round trip airfare from Indiana to Fairbanks and back home was covered entirely by sky miles on a credit card.

Still dropped roughly 4k on that trip. That included a jumper flight from Fairbanks to Bettles and back, 2 caribou tags, hunting license, fishing license, wolf tag, satellite phone rental, mailing the bulk of my gear to and from Bettles via USPS, freight charges, rental vehicle and two nights stay in Fairbanks.

The one financial mistake I made was shipping the meat home. Would have been much cheaper to pay the fees and bring it home on the plane.

The North Slope is breathtaking. Glad I experienced it. Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

That said, my next trip will be in more bowhunter friendly terrain. We had migrating caribou, but these caribou did not follow the script...or each other. Watching the route of one herd and then laying in ambush for the next group did not work.

The hunt was basically spot and stalk...in minimal cover. Getting within 100 yards was not an issue. Getting within 50 yards was almost impossible. Spent nine days on the tundra...busted my hump every day except one (all day downpour)...and didn't seal the deal until the last day. Ate tag soup on my second tag.

Best of luck on your adventure.

17-Apr-14
How did your haul road hunt go? I have heard that it can almost be a race to the animals, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

17-Apr-14
You should only look at jet capable airports for your bush plane departure if you're trying to control costs. Those "puddle jumper" flights are not cheap (apparently neither is ground transfer). Try to meet the bush plane at the airport you arrive at via jet. There is regular service to several VERY small cities.

The haul road is a rodeo, and a crap shoot. On top of that, you likely won't save that much money by the time it's all over.

In my opinion, to hunt alaska correctly....you should ALWAYS get into a small airplane. A good transporter can land at numerous strips, show you the ground from the air, and won't be worried about flying to have a look. Generally, the better deals are non-package flights you pay for by the hour. Those "all inclusive" packages are normally marked up well over a thousand dollars.

17-Apr-14
I've hunted Alaska 3 times now. Two more trips lined up this fall. All but one was via a small float plane....

I have a write up on the haul road trip in the caribou forum if interested. The views perpetuated online are flat out wrong about the haul road IMO. Sure you will see other people, but you aren't STUCK if the bou aren't moving through your camp. You can literally pack up and be 100 miles away in 2 hours if need be. ESPECIALLY as early as you are going. August is before the migration most years, meaning the bulk of the hunters won't be up on the haul road yet. We hunted 7 days and only encountered ONE hunter off the road. Sure you see trucks cruising the highway, but that is a terrible way to hunt them in the first place. Hike off a mile or so where you can glass terrain not visible from the highway and your encounters will go up.

Prices are what you make of them. I didn't get a hotel on the beginning and tail end of my trip. I didn't buy a second tag (regretted this later, but one bou was enough for me going into the trip). I didn't pay for my commercial flights (credit card miles). I paid for half the vehicle rental, half the fuel, one tag/license, and about $100 in food/beer. I didn't pay to mount it, I boiled it out for the euro. We paid less than $100 to have a bou butchered and frozen ready for the flight home, and the baggage fee was <$50. He packed his carry on full of the best cuts of meat to not lose them lol. My friend split his antlers and played tetris but got them down inside his huge duffel somehow.

All said and done I was out right at $1500. I roughed it compared to how some people prefer to travel... and I wasn't interested in the taxidermy as that would cost as much as a return trip to hunt them again. For the $5-6k figures quoted on here I am hunting WY Pronghorn, AK Black Bear, AK Moose, MT Elk, and MT Mule Deer this fall.... It's about setting a budget for necessities and working within that budget. If you are big on taxidermy, or must have a guide, or must stay in a lodge/motel vs sleeping in the bed of your truck it's obviously going to cost you more.

17-Apr-14
Been up there twice this winter/spring. Can't wait for summer. If I can have fun with only 4 hours of daylight and 3 feet of snow I can't imagine how much fun it'll be with 20 hours and no snow!

Trevor's advice is very sound... If you only road hunt, you'll likely have a terrible time.

17-Apr-14
I actually love the Haul Road trip. As stated above if the bou are not where you are pick up camp and move up the road. All you have to do is walk off the road a few hundred yards to get away from people anyway lol. I don't personally like driving the road as my primary way of hunting.

17-Apr-14
Do what makes you happy. What ever you decide to do it will be a real adventure and a learning experience. If we listened to what people have to say, we would never go anywhere. Rory

• Sitka Gear