Shadow Man 16-Apr-14
lineman21 16-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 17-Apr-14
Bowhunner 17-Apr-14
speedgoat 18-Apr-14
dgb 18-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 18-Apr-14
14-Apr-14
I was wondering if anyone has noticed a dramatic drop in turkey densities in Nebraska this year? I was hunting Central Nebraska and heard flock numbers may be down as much as 50 to 75%? This may have been due to droughty conditions and a rough time with nesting hens the last year or 2?

Also, I noticed that gobbling by toms was just about non-existent this year during archery season..possibly due to the late snows and delay of nesting process?

14-Apr-14
I didn't really notice much diff. from last year. Very little ground gobbling and birds really couldn't be called in at all. They are broken up now and starting to fire up is what I hear. I'll be headed back out in early may to try to stick another. Did ya get my pm, Jim? Seems alot aren't going thru. How'd ya do with your son?

14-Apr-14
I have been hunting Nebraska for quite a few years in the northeastern part of the state. Typically early in the season before they split up we see around a hundred birds a day. This year it was way down. Didn't hardly see any birds. The rancher even admitted before we got there he hadn't seen the birds like in past years. It could be that they moved to other areas but I have no explanation for it.

14-Apr-14
I got back from NE Nebraska last night. The weather was raining/snow or 80 degrees! I think we were involved in a scam (a lot of false promises). NO turkeys were seen and only a few were heard way off. I will not be going back to Nebraska to hunt.

14-Apr-14
I have been turkey hunting in Western Nebraska for the past 15 years and usually at the same areas.

According to the area biologist, the numbers are down, maybe 20-25%.

I also hunted North Central Kansas and locals state the population is down over 50%.

I would agree with both comments.

Lack of moisture, lack of water and food and nesting cover is a big issue in these areas as I am also seeing less hens than before.

My best, Paul

14-Apr-14
My area was about normal. They were grouped up so it s hard to say. One morning is slow and the next you find them and spend all day messing with a bunch.

CRP is being reduced, that could have an effect.

14-Apr-14
OTC, I sent you a PM

14-Apr-14
no turkeys in Nebraska. they all moved out....

16-Apr-14
Lineman2 X2!! Hahaha.

We were there for the opener and my buddy missed twice and I had an idiot walk into my field as I was working a loner. Going back this weekend, hope more birds have moved into the area.

16-Apr-14
Just over the border in South Dakota we're hearing birds gobbling. Game warden said birds were still piled up on certain ranches. Numbers are definitely down compared to a few years back. The drought two years ago was really harsh.

Tons of predation in our area, too. Hardly anyone traps any more and coons and skunks are thick. All the dead deer due to EHD was a boon to the coyotes as well. We have had more coyotes on the trail cams in the past year than in the past decade. Sometimes we'll have two or three coyotes in the same frame (no, we're not baiting them).

So, yeah, predation and habitat quality have made it tough on the turkeys, but they're still out there.

Shadow Man

16-Apr-14
Birds are just starting to break up to where you see a few loners. Turkeys here can be frustrating in early season.

17-Apr-14
. " will not be going back to Nebraska to hunt."

Sad...I can think of nowhere better. Good planning should yield success. Plan better next time.

17-Apr-14
Numbers are down from my observations. Drought, influx of Bobcats and hunting pressure. Still plenty of birds around IMO.

18-Apr-14
I have seen well over 100 toms this spring and only 2 jakes. I would definitely have to say there are very few young birds around.

18-Apr-14
I drove down I-80 yesterday and saw about 50 from North Platte to Lincoln . . . but that is about 1/4 of what I would have seen in years past.

18-Apr-14
I think booking a hunt with an outfitter and not planning a backup plan is a mistake. I would advise anyone to either book with a couple different outfitters or have plenty of public land researched to check out. Ibwould rather burn gas trying to find turkeys than to look at the face of an outfitter who lied to me.

• Sitka Gear