casper 04-May-14
Screwball 05-May-14
Lawdwaz 05-May-14
kellyharris 05-May-14
rattlesnake 05-May-14
zipper 06-May-14
Lawdwaz 07-May-14
14-Apr-14
Hey everyone, I have a question for you all. I have a friend that is just now getting into hunting and I'm doing my best to help him out. So far, he has gotten his hunter-ed and some camo and we're going out for Spring Turkey here in Missouri next Monday. But my question is I would like to take him out with me during bow season next fall and i typically go up into trees for it. He is a bigger guy (6'3 and about 280-300lbs) and i am concerned that anything extra i have might not be adequate for him. Any suggestions that for a stand that would suit someone of his stature?

14-Apr-14
Ol'man tree stands are rated up to 300. Probably one of the most comfortable and secure stands I've ever used.

14-Apr-14
I'm about the same size. I used a Summit Goliath climber. Very solid. Now I hunt off of the ground.

14-Apr-14
Screaming eagle for a hang on

14-Apr-14
Treewalker.....period.....

14-Apr-14
I am that exact size. I don't do hang ons because I am a clumsy old fart. Ameristep climber is what I used to use. They have a fat boy version. I use ladders or ground blinds now.

14-Apr-14
look at the millenium m150 monster

14-Apr-14
Screaming Eagle.....will hold just about anything! I'm 6'5" and 250 and have no problems at all.

14-Apr-14
I am in that size class. I don't use climbers or hang-ons.

Biggame Treestands makes a nice ladderstand that is marketed as a "double-wide" and is just right for my tall/fat ass. They call it the "Big Buddy."

Allows me to set a small day pack beside me as well.

Pete

15-Apr-14
I make him look small! I'm about 6'2' and 400lbs. I've been using the Millenium hang on stands for several years now and love them.

15-Apr-14
I'd highly suggest a ladder stand for him. Easier entry and exit and a much wider variety of options for big guys to be comfortable in.

15-Apr-14
I'm 6'1 and 260. I usually hunt from the ground these days due to my size. It isn't safe for big fellas to be climbing around like that. If I do use a stand I always use a ladder stand. They're much more safe than a climber or tree steps for plus sized or physically challenged people. I do the same as Pete, a Big Game 2 person stand is awesome and comfortable.

15-Apr-14
Thanks for the responses guys. We're both currently in college and typically hunt public land. Don't really want to drag in a ladder stand and give away my spots or have the chance at it "walking away." I guess I will just have to get him to see the heart throbbing experience of a deer at eye-level. Might help get him dug deeper into the sport!

Thanks again y'all Joe

15-Apr-14
I use Screaming Eagle (about 23 years) for a hang one and Treewalker (4 years) for a climber.

I'm 6' and go 245lbs, dry. grins

16-Apr-14
Lone Wolf hang on and Lone Wolf sticks - rated for 350 and rock solid

16-Apr-14

sbschindler's Link
screaming eagles are rated over 4000 pounds, don't take chances with just a few pounds leeway

16-Apr-14
What about the safety harness and priuss knot safety rope?

16-Apr-14
I was thinking the same thing Boris. What do you guys that hunt from trees use?

04-May-14
i have been using Summit Goliath climber for awhile now i got it when i was at my heaviest 270lbs an it has been a very solid platform. an if has enough leg room for be to be comfortable which most do not for someone 6"3' like my self

05-May-14
Summit Goliath and Screaming eagle used SE (30 years) Love them for hang on. Summit is Safe and comfortable.

05-May-14
Boris & Joe Holden.......

I use a DBI SALA harness and a rope with prussic for the ups and downs.

When installing the SE stand a linesman belt is used and after the install then the safety line and prussic goes in.

The harness is about 15 years old and was bought from an ad in Bowhunter Mag, IIRC E. Donnall Thomas was the pitch man. It was one of my best purchases ever.

When I use the Treewalker, the same harness is used and the short safety line with prussic is used up & down, ALWAYS.

05-May-14
Summit Goliath for sure

05-May-14
I love my lone wolf!!..with the sticks etc,..im going too pick up an extra stick so I have 4,...I like lone wolf so much im buying the climber next!!,...snake/jeff

06-May-14
Screaming Eagle for sure. I have been using them for 25 years.And still have room for expansion with the 2 ton weight limit.

07-May-14
Remember the old ad Paul Brunner did for those Screaming Eagles? What was it, four cow elk hanging off a stand and Paul sitting on the seat?!?!

Then they (I heard) got some flack for it and used a VW Bug instead!

• Sitka Gear