Mathews Inc.
Killed on hwy in central FL yesterday...
cougar
Contributors to this thread:
bigswivle 16-Apr-14
Fuzzy 16-Apr-14
Duke 16-Apr-14
Doubleforky 16-Apr-14
SteveB 16-Apr-14
rooster 16-Apr-14
Zbone 16-Apr-14
willliamtell 16-Apr-14
bowriter 16-Apr-14
FullCryHounds 16-Apr-14
LckyTylr 16-Apr-14
Zbone 17-Apr-14
LBshooter 17-Apr-14
Black Wolf 18-Apr-14
Russ Koon 18-Apr-14
Zbone 18-Apr-14
Zbone 18-Apr-14
16-Apr-14

bigswivle's embedded Photo
bigswivle's embedded Photo
Less than a mile from my In-laws. Pretty good cat.

16-Apr-14
poor kitty

16-Apr-14
Clearly yet another South Dakota Rogue! Must have jumped on Interstate 94 and hit a bad exit.

16-Apr-14
Duke there have always been cats in Florida but they call them pumas or panthers

16-Apr-14
I have seen two over the past several years at our place in Sarasota traveling a powerline.

16-Apr-14
Bummer!

16-Apr-14
Yeah, heard a few years ago they introduced southern TX cats to FL to boost the rapidly declining FL population, and to strengthen the gene pool for I believe they determined there was only a few (maybe a couple dozen) of the native cats left....

16-Apr-14
That's what happens when yoy let kitties play in the street.

16-Apr-14
In over 50-years of roaming the mountains andplains and swamps, I have seen exactly two...briefly. One in Canada and one in WY.

16-Apr-14
Looks like a decent size Tom but boy they don't have much hair down there.

16-Apr-14
I was just watching a show on PBS last weekend about the reintroduction of mt lions to Florida to "supplement the gene pool" of the existing cats from the last reintroduction.

17-Apr-14
LckyTylr - You happen to remember the program name, I couldn't locate it on pbs.org...

17-Apr-14
Did they let you keep it ?

18-Apr-14
Heck no they won't let you keep it. They won't even let you keep a deer killed by vehicle...

18-Apr-14
Zbone, I thought that was mentioned during a segment of the 'Introducing Predators into the Wild' show that was aired a couple weeks ago.

I may have misunderstood the narrator at the time. I thought the introduction of the new cats was to supplement the gene pool of the original Florida panthers remaining. Don't recall the mention of an earlier introduction for the purpose.

18-Apr-14
"introduction of the new cats was to supplement the gene pool of the original Florida panthers remaining"

Yeah, and as I stated earlier... I googled it and they were down to what they believe 20 - 25 wild native cats, and introduced 8 females from TX during the late 90s...

I think they believe there are something like 400 of them now. Will go back and double check though, standby...

If that is the case, from 30 something to 400 is doing pretty good, if ya ask me....

18-Apr-14
I can't find where I read that 400 number... Most sites still say under a hundred, although this government site saying up to 160...

http://www.fws.gov/floridapanther/panther_faq.html

" How many Florida panthers are there? A single wild population in south Florida of 100-160 adult panthers is all that remains of a species that once ranged throughout most of the southeastern United States. (See the Statement on Esitmating Panther Population Size for info on how this number was reached.) This remnant breeding population is in Lee, Collier, Hendry, Dade and Monroe counties. A few males have been documented in central Florida, but no females are known to be in that area. The Florida panther was eliminated over much of its historical range by the late 1800's by humanpersecution and habitat destruction. Because the panther was geographically isolated in south Florida, no natural gene exchange occurred with other puma subspecies. Inbreeding caused a decline in the health and reproduction of the few remaining panthers. By 1995, only 20-30 panthers remained in the wild. That year, eight female Texas cougars were relocated to south Florida to restore genetic variability to the population. All offspring of the Texas cougars are considered to be Florida panthers. The genetic restoration of the Florida panther was successful and the number of panthers tripled in 10 years."

• Sitka Gear