Julius K 16-Apr-14
Julius K 16-Apr-14
4406v 16-Apr-14
PowellSixO 16-Apr-14
Julius K 18-Apr-14
tonyo6302 18-Apr-14
16-Apr-14
Hey Guys,

My dog split a nail today (he's a lab/basset mix).

My wife wants to take him in to the Vet, which I am not completely opposed to. I was able to go home at lunch and look at it. Split on the side. I want glue it....

Any experiences? Please share or advise.

16-Apr-14
Hey Guys,

My dog split a nail today (he's a lab/basset mix).

My wife wants to take him in to the Vet, which I am not completely opposed to. I was able to go home at lunch and look at it. Split on the side. I want glue it....

Any experiences? Please share or advise.

16-Apr-14
Do you trim his nails regularly? If you allow the nails to get too long this is going to keep happening. Keep the nails trimmed back so they don't "click" when he walks on the floor. I keep my labs nails trimmed so they actually stick straight out when they stand. This keeps the nails rigid and strong.

I have used fingernail clippers and super glue to repair the split nails. If it's not bleeding and not broken into the flesh just trim the loose pieces off.

16-Apr-14
Not really a big deal. Everything the vet can do in this situation, you can do at home. Clean it as best that you can. Apply some antibiotic ointment. Trim the nail down as safely possible to prevent it hanging up. Glue it if possible, or bandage it until it stops bothering him. It will be very painful for the dog, but not life threatening of course. Just make sure to keep it cleaned and infection free. They usually don't take long to heel. Dogs are tough. By the way my pops is a vet. So not an anti vet kinda guy here. Just giving you and honest opinion. For 10 bucks at home you can take care of it yourself or spend 200 at the vet clinic. If it doesn't get better in 2-3 days though, don't make the dog suffer. At that point you'll just have to bite the bullet and have the vet fix him up. Don't ever let your best friend suffer! Hope this helps.

18-Apr-14
Thanks!

18-Apr-14
I have seen a friend repair his dogs nail with superglue.

As for your dog, I have never seen a lab/basset mix.

Please post a photo.

( bet your dog has a good nose )

• Sitka Gear