Jack Harris 18-Apr-14
Chip T. 18-Apr-14
Charlie Rehor 18-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 18-Apr-14
drycreek 18-Apr-14
Nick Muche 18-Apr-14
jingalls 19-Apr-14
17-Apr-14
Ok after doing many seminars and a big deer show the past couple months, I wanted to start a topic called DID YOU KNOW....please add to it, where you see fit.

Did you know that most winter oats/deer oats are of the variety called BOB. So, it would be hard to argue that one companies BOB oats are better than their competition's. It would be like arguing that ogle oats by one certified grower isn't the same ogle from another or that pioneer 3610 seed corn bought in bloomington Illinois isn't the same as that pioneer 3610 bought in Iowa city Iowa.

Did you know that there are a small few growers in the United States that grow many of the food plot seeds we buy? The biggest difference is who is CONDITIONING THE SEED, and to what quality standard they have. This is the exact reason I always walk people through, how to read a tag. Putting a fancy name on a fancy bag doesn't mean it is quality seed.

There are very few companies who actually grow, clean and condition their own seed. Most wildlife industry companies are not growers, nor are they middle men, nor are they conditioners or cleaners....most wildlife companies buy seed from distributors and meerly put that seed in their own smaller packaged bags and try to create their own markets, 1 step above end user levels.

17-Apr-14
LOL ...... I have tried to tell people about Bob oats for years but most folks want to believe that if the bag has a pic of a big buck on it it must be better ...... lets see .... I thinks that is called MARKETING !!!! .... 8^)

it is my opinion that good ole Ladino clover from the farm supply store is just as good as the stuff that comes in the bag with a big buck pic as well .

FWIW I have on several occasions filled 1/2 of my grain drill with bob oats and 1/2 with the fancy bag oats and planted away ............ I have never seen one ounce of evidence that they liked one side better than the other !!!!

17-Apr-14
When people say farm supply store products i cringe though and here is why......

Many places carry product over from year to year and i'd never buy anything that is not tested within the past year or is "STAMPED OVER". My policy is ALL SEED GOES BACK at the year end , no matter if your Joe's hardware or the SUPER COOP. I can tell story after story but if people would ALWAYS pick up a bag and look at the tag before buying....it would reduce the amount of people not getting SUCCESS with their food plots, or farm seeds, in general.

Again, many of the same fancy named clovers are the same variety but with a different name attached to them for marketing purposes. A high number of the radishes out there are the same. There are very very very few growers of certified radishes. Shhhh, you can count them on one hand. Ok, maybe this year there's a chance one might need to use an extra finger or two but it's a small world.

18-Apr-14
I would buy whatever Tiffany recommends, who cares about BOB? :)

18-Apr-14
And there we have an honest comment from one of the Jersey Boys:)

18-Apr-14
Kinda like cereal! I like Wheaties "Breakfast of Champions"!!

18-Apr-14
Did you know the fifth cereal grain is tricale. It is by far the most nutricious of the other grains during the months of November and December and has the highest sugar content during that time and is more palatable an paluable at a height of 8 to 12 inches. Most grains are designed to produce later when cattle need it or designed to produce seed. Tricale is for grasing earlier when deer need it most.

18-Apr-14
My deer don't like triticale TBM, it sticks between their teeth.

18-Apr-14
Haha! Good one Charlie!

19-Apr-14
All seed labels must list exactly what the blend is. Required by law! Many years ago I called one of the big buck pictured on the bag brands and forced them to give me their clover mix. Took me threatening to turn them in under a rather hostile debate!!! But they all know they are required to do so.

If you have a brand you want to know exactly what's in the bag call them, and do not let them off the hook. They will hate you but you will get your information!

• Sitka Gear