Jaquomo 17-Apr-14
DT1963 18-Apr-14
badbull 19-Apr-14
Paul@thefort 19-Apr-14
3dvapor 19-Apr-14
Mule Power 20-Apr-14
elkmtngear 20-Apr-14
17-Apr-14
I'm wondering if any of you elk hunters have used the ghilli suits effectively in conjunction with a Montana decoy as a caller or a shooter. I recently purchased my first ghilli and would be interested in your experiences if you would like to share.

17-Apr-14
I wouldn't want to carry or wear for that matter, a big ass ghilli suit through the mountains chasing elk.

17-Apr-14
I am with BR on this one. Unless you only have a very short distance to go and can pack in the suit, when elk hunting, one needs to be going light.

The average camo pattern should be more than enough as long as you stay down wind.

17-Apr-14
A ghilli suit would probably be too much. 3-D leafy suit would be more appropriate for elk hunting, or should I say hunting in general. From what I understand ghilli's are for concealment, not necessarily for shooting/hunting.

The asat 3-d suit is pretty sweet and light weight.

Staying still has more to do w/ being undetected than your camo. So I wouldn't want any garment to hinder my shooting ability, or increase my sweat factor.

17-Apr-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here is the 3d asat leafy suit as above per Ohiohunter. I wear when turkey hunting outside of the blind.

I wear the top only while elk hunting. Very light weight and gives good concealment.

My best, paul

17-Apr-14
That is a great shirt, Paul. Where can you buy that?

17-Apr-14
I am by no means an expert elk hunter, but from my experience and understanding the sight sense of an elk is not what I am worried about. Their eyes aren't the best, and any good camo pattern is all you need, plus you are avoiding the snags that would come with running around chasing elk.

I would definitely not bring one elk hunting.

17-Apr-14
Yeah, you don't even need the leafy stuff in my opinion and it catches on every darn thing anyways, can't imagine how much of a pain in the azz a ghili suit would be!

17-Apr-14
You guys bring up some good points that I was concerned about.A big factor for me is getting a good clean anchor against my face which I think could be a problem. As we know getting the wind right and lack of movement at the critical times can be the important elements and I don't see the ghilli helping these. Thanks for your input and perspective.

17-Apr-14
I have killed elk at three yards. Why do you want to wear that. You must have not climbed many CO hills to even ask that question,. respectively. Elk are really dumb and can be very hard. You just have to know elk. No use your decoy and be ready. Good luck.

17-Apr-14
No need for any of that. Ive called bulls to within 2 yards of my hunters who were wearing orange hats and vests. I've shot a bunch at less than 10 yards, including one at 3.

18-Apr-14
Google kill suit form allpreadtorcalls dot com. Very light wieght and extremely effective - get the mesh one not the string one.

19-Apr-14
Paul......Thanks for posting your suit with your turkey. My suit is a very lightweight leafy one similar to yours. I like your pattern and l think just using the top for elk is a good idea. The camo available today is a far cry from what we had when I started bow hunting(1960's). I remember tie-dying my army fatigues because they were what was available. Later on when I started elk hunting, I think unit 61 elk tags required only 1 pref point. Some things have changed quite a bit. Good hunting.......Badbull

19-Apr-14
Yea, I shot my first deer in the UP of Michigan while stationed at an AF Base in 1962.

My outfit was a woodland slip-over top, green Air Force Pants and hat. I use burnt cork on my face and hands.

Oh yea, the good old days for sure. We have come a long way for sure and some is even for the good.

My best, Paul

19-Apr-14
I would say that if u had an area without any trees where a waterhole was or wallow out in a giant meadow a ghillie would work well. I know they are extremely effective on turkeys compared to standard camo. My ghillie is extremely large and quite heavy and warm, it functions to actually take your head and shoulders away distorting the human form severely as not to look like anything but plant debris. I can set upp anywhere when hunting turkeys.

20-Apr-14
Forget everything you know about deer hunting. I can see the headlines now: "Elk hunter goes up in flames after self combusting" Ghillie suit... no way!

I love leafy wear for turkeys and bears but wouldn't even bother with that for elk.

If you can afford it I'd think mobility and breathable layers and shop for Sitka Gear. Try Camofire.

20-Apr-14

elkmtngear's Link
I've had elk walk by me at less than ten feet, with me crouching in the wide open, and wearing just a short sleeve camo t shirt.

If you are wearing the ghillie suit and you move, you're busted anyway IMHO!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

• Sitka Gear